Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

We bade a fond fondue to the Smurfs last night, a bit earlier than originally planned. This is probably for the best, since MrsBlue does not have today off from work (today is the celebration of Columbus Day here in the states, as well as the more politically correct, as well as more obscure Indigenous People's Day), which would have left me trying to single-handedly wrangle the youngsters along with this update. In any event, a fine time was had by all, and I think I have definitely inspired a new Giants fan (which has been pointed out in the forums to be a questionable gift to bestow upon a child).

Anyway, with the holiday, things will likely be quiet today... speaking of holidays, happy Thanksgiving to those celebrating up in Canada.

R.I.P.: 'Superman' Star Christopher Reeve Dies (thanks Halsy) and Space trailblazer Max Faget dies (thanks Mike Martinez).

Play Time: 8 Queens of Death. Thanks banddirector.
Link of the Day: Id Museum. Thanks Tickenest.
Science!: Astronomers Demonstrate a Global Internet Telescope.
Images of the Day: In pictures World Conker Championships.
Auction of the Day: Authentic Prototype Stormtrooper Helmet Star Wars. Thanks Mark.
Follow-ups: Stern’s Sirius deal a shocker for radio. Thanks ASLayerAODsk.
Satellite radio provides shelter for shock jocks.
Thanks Mike Martinez.

View
60 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

60. Re: Hmmm... Oct 11, 2004, 23:38 Halsy

Demolition Man was terribly stupid, and so was Cliffhanger, and so was Judge Dredd.

Best line in that film? Rob Scheider, "Mr. 'I AM THE LAW'"

"I never saw a dame yet that didn't understand a good slap in the mouth or a slug from a .45."
- Bogart, Play it Again Sam

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

59. Re: Hmmm... Oct 11, 2004, 23:34 PHJF

Demolition Man was terribly stupid, and so was Cliffhanger, and so was Judge Dredd.

Man, I love those movies. Hehe, I'm honestly a smart person but boyo, I love stupid action movies, especially ones in the future. Or the distant past.

Except Waterworld. I agree with the critits on Waterworld.

------
“The closer you get to being a pro, the closer you can get to the client. The knife, for example, is the last thing you learn. Ok?"

Steam + PSN: PHJF

58. Re: Hmmm... Oct 11, 2004, 23:09 tron

What the hell does it mean when they disappear somebody?"

wonder if they saw lots of beans?
http://www.weebls-stuff.com/toons/37/

- tron -
---
"tron is big and tron is full of action... it's a hell of a ride!"
-from the Tron 2.0 box

57. Re: The Doom Movie Oct 11, 2004, 22:43 Bunko

Talking about movies/actors, you know, I still think Kevin Spacey is one of the best actors I've ever seen. I really like him in Usual Suspects and The Ref.
*cough* American Beauty *cough*

http://citizenb.com/ - Shameless website plug.
Some men get the world. Others get ex-hookers and a trip to Arizona.

Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

56. Re: The Doom Movie Oct 11, 2004, 22:31 Warhawk

If you have not seen The 13th Warrior, I highly recommend you go rent it, great freakin movie, very very underrated.

Been wanting to see it - isn't that the movie based on Crichton's book "Eaters of the Dead"?

I still don't understand why people disliked Riddick so much, I thought it was a pretty good movie, although they spent too much time on Crematoria and then had to rush to finish the Necromongers plotline in a, what I felt, very unsatisfying way. But visually it was great, Diesel did a pretty good job (You're gonna kill me with your soup cup?! It's a tea cup. ), and there were enough interesting settings that it didn't bore me once during the entire two hours.

I agree with all that (except I'd call it an OK movie, not "pretty good"), but the scenes with them on the surface outrunning the heat wave were just WAAAAYYY too much. Sorry, but you've got to draw the line somewhere. Those scenes which are just WAY beyond plausibility (sp?) can ruin some movies for me - it came close to doing it in this one. I'll probably still get it on DVD, though, at a good sale price.

Van Helsing could have been so much more, and it's a shame. Hugh Jackman and the Incredibly Hot Chick deserved a far deeper plot. Still not sure if I'll pick it up on DVD or not.

I enjoyed this one more (because it was in line with what I expected, probably) and will be getting it on DVD.

Talking about movies/actors, you know, I still think Kevin Spacey is one of the best actors I've ever seen. I really like him in Usual Suspects and The Ref.

* Warhawk *

Excuse me, but I am not one of your patients.
You're gonna be somebody's patient if you don't get your ass back down in that chair.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

55. Hmmm... Oct 11, 2004, 22:23 Bunko

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/10/11/disappeared.suspects.ap/index.html

"They're going to disappear him," she said. "Yossarian squinted at her uncomprehendingly. "They're what?" he asked in surprise, and laugh uneasily. "What does that mean?"

"I don't know. I heard them talking behind a door."

"Who?"

"I don't know. I couldn't see them. I just heard them say they were going to disappear Dunbar."

"Why are they going to disappear him?"

"I don't know."

"It doesn't make sense. It isn't even good grammar. What the hell does it mean when they disappear somebody?"

"I don't know."

"Jesus, you're a great help!"

http://citizenb.com/ - Shameless website plug.
Some men get the world. Others get ex-hookers and a trip to Arizona.
This comment was edited on Oct 11, 22:42.

Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

54. Re: The Doom Movie Oct 11, 2004, 21:49 WarPig

one of my all time favorite movies would have to be The 13th Warrior

I really liked that movie also - once I got past the part of how he became fluent in their language which I found hard to swallow.

The only movies I've seen with Vin Deisel were Pitch Black and Knockaround Guys, and I liked him in both of those. The other one that looks good to me is Boiler Room.

I agree that The Rock ("The", to his friends) is going to have a huge movie career. He just has that rare screen charisma that makes men still like him even though they know their women would push them in front of a bus just to lick his pants.

I thought The Rundown was pretty good except for some reason they thought they had to "enhance" the fight scenes with those stupid wire tricks. When a person gets kicked in the chest hard enough to launch them eight feet in the air and thirty feet backwards... well, other than the fact that it would kill them, it's impossible and looks stupid.

Ok, now that I'm off on this tangent: My favorite fight scenes (just the fight scenes, not the movies) are from early Steven Segal movies. When he hits someone they go down because they were just injured - and it looks like it really, really hurt.

-------------------------------------------------------
What the hell, it's 5:00 somewhere.

GO SEAHAWKS!

53. Re: Misc Oct 11, 2004, 21:34 Dantastic

riddick sucked because of the wrestling moves in the fights.

otherwise good

52. Re: MSN Messenger Weirdness? Oct 11, 2004, 20:57 Bucky

Gah, I swear I saw a story about a new MSN Messenger virus going around during my daily webpage routine about an hour ago, and now I can't find the story. Was gonna point out that that may be the reason for the wonkiness, but now I think I'm just losing my mind.

Edit: D'oh! I was right-ish. The worm uses Windows Messenger. I'm not entirely crazy!?
This comment was edited on Oct 11, 21:01.

51. Re: Misc Oct 11, 2004, 20:55 Halsy

So everyone stoked to see Green Bay kick the Titan's ass tonight? Of course you are!

Go Packers!

"I never saw a dame yet that didn't understand a good slap in the mouth or a slug from a .45."

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

50. Max Faget Oct 11, 2004, 19:30 theAntiELVIS

Butthead: "That dude's name is Faget"
Beavis: "Heh heh - faget's rule - heh heh"

-------------

Sorry - it had to be done....

-tAE-

49. Re: Misc Oct 11, 2004, 19:29 Creston

I'm really saddened by Christopher Reeves death. In a time where the word hero is bandied about all too often and easily, I'd say he qualifies as the real thing. I was hoping he was going to make it and walk again. I can't see anyone ever doing a better Superman either.

I agree. His acceptance of - and then his determination to overcome - his "problem", as he would call it, always made me have tons of respect for the man. That he would die of something as 'simple' as an infection seems to denigrate his years of struggle.

As for movie actors, Rock and Diesel will probably lead the pack for awhile as pure action movie actors, although there's a veritable cast of actors around them who dabble in an action movie every now and then.

I still don't understand why people disliked Riddick so much, I thought it was a pretty good movie, although they spent too much time on Crematoria and then had to rush to finish the Necromongers plotline in a, what I felt, very unsatisfying way. But visually it was great, Diesel did a pretty good job (You're gonna kill me with your soup cup?! It's a tea cup. ), and there were enough interesting settings that it didn't bore me once during the entire two hours.

Van Helsing could have been so much more, and it's a shame. Hugh Jackman and the Incredibly Hot Chick deserved a far deeper plot. Still not sure if I'll pick it up on DVD or not.

Creston

48. Re: The Doom Movie Oct 11, 2004, 19:11 Halsy

The Rundown was funny a hell, great action flick. Walking Tall was ok.

- Stephen Colbert

47. Re: The Doom Movie Oct 11, 2004, 18:45 Enahs

Speaking of movies (good ones), one of my all time favorite movies would have to be The 13th Warrior. Man, I think that is just a great, awesome movie!

Plus, I would put money on Herger the Joyous beating Ash any day!

I was talking with some friends a few nights go about how they basically ruined the Predator franchise and possibility of them making a good predator movie with intresting human characters. I then suddenly hit on the idea, The Vikings from The 13th Warrior .vs. The Predator….man, that could have been one fucking amazing movie!!

If you have not seen The 13th Warrior, I highly recommend you go rent it, great freakin movie, very very underrated.

_____
Enahs
That’s a deep kiss too, like the Europeans. You know the French they have to unhinge their jaw to show love.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

46. Re: The Doom Movie Oct 11, 2004, 18:31 Warhawk

A surprising number of films recently have left me not entertained, so I was quite surprised at being able to turn my brain off and not be insulted by a crime of a movie. Unfortunately Riddick and Van Helsing did not rise to the same challenge.

I wasn't expecting anything out of either of these films.

Kinda liked Van Helsing (could've been much better, though - maybe a little more Indiana Jones mixed in?) and was pretty much expecting what I got.

Riddick had so many holes in it I couldn't really get into it. Liked the reference to Conan at the end, though. Could've been a good movie - sad.

Now Rock needs to find a Predator or a Demolition Man.

We just need more of these movies, period. More Indy, more Aliens, more Terminator, more original Star Wars/Empire Strikes Back. More good action movies that can be funny without trying to be. More serious roles and badass heroes. More Lord of the Rings. More X-Men and Spider-Man. More movies not afraid to be movies for adults, but that doesn't mean adding 4-letter words and slapping an "R" on it. More Matrix. More Usual Suspects and The Ref. More Die Hard. Hell, even more Shrek.

* Warhawk *

You're gonna be somebody's patient if you don't get your ass back down in that chair.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

45. Re: The Doom Movie Oct 11, 2004, 18:01 Tango

Never saw Rundown or Walking Tall, but I think he might have potential to be one of the big action stars for the next decade or so.
Welcome to the Jungle (Rundown to you Americans) was quite good. Not as in Schindler's List and Pulp Fiction good, but entertaining and fun. A surprising number of films recently have left me not entertained, so I was quite surprised at being able to turn my brain off and not be insulted by a crime of a movie. Unfortunately Riddick and Van Helsing did not rise to the same challenge.
Personally I agree with Warhawk: the Rock is on track to be our post-Arnie and Stallone hero and Vin Diesel walks a rather squiggly line behind him. Fast and The Furious was the last Vin Diesel movie that entertained me. Oh and Riddick.... don't get me started.

Now Rock needs to find a Predator or a Demolition Man.

44. Re: The Doom Movie Oct 11, 2004, 16:54 Warhawk

But he has a presence on the camera. Sure, The Mummy Returns and Scorpion King were bad, but I really like "The Rundown," and "Walking Tall" was above average.

Never saw Rundown or Walking Tall, but I think he might have potential to be one of the big action stars for the next decade or so.

Stallone, HAH, the only movie of his I ever liked was "Demolition Man," and that was for the humor and Sandra Bullock.

I really like the humor (including Dennis Leary) in that movie - the Arnie reference is very good, given the current political events. Most don't seem to appreciate it as much as I do, though. Oh, yeah, SB is looking good in it, too.

Vin Diesel, ehh, not a big fan. I don't know if it's the movies or him

I like him, I think his movie selection process needs to improve. I think he also is one of the big action stars for the next decade. I think he and the Rock might be this decade's Arnie/Stallone.

I like Hugh Jackman in the not-so-muscular action roles (X-Men, Van Helsing), as well. Maybe I just don't ask for much in my action stars?!?

* Warhawk *

This comment was edited on Oct 11, 16:55.

43. Re: No subject Oct 11, 2004, 16:54 ExcessDan

I could do that too but I shouldn't get too drunk today since I have a networking assignment due tomorrow. :\

------------
Love,
Mayor Dan:
The mayor of your hearts <3<3<3<3<3

ExcessDan

42. Re: No subject Oct 11, 2004, 16:50 nin

Sorry the onions in the soup I'm cooking for the pot luck thanksgiving is making my eyesight blurred

Really? We do that with alcohol on this side of the border. Well, to each his own...

www.muse.mu

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

41. Re: No subject Oct 11, 2004, 16:42 ExcessDan

Sorry the onions in the soup I'm cooking for the pot luck thanksgiving is making my eyesight blurred

------------
Love,
Mayor Dan:
The mayor of your hearts <3<3<3<3<3

ExcessDan

60 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo