Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Game Movies

A new Ghost Recon 2 movie is now available on Ubisoft's FTP server (direct link), showing off Red Storm's upcoming Tom Clancy tactical shooter sequel. The clip offers a couple of minutes of gameplay, accompanied by narration from designer Christian Allen. The clip is a 25 MB download, mirrored on 3D Gamers. Also, some new media is now available from Pacific Fighters, the upcoming World War II combat flight simulation from 1C:Maddox Games, the folks behind IL2-Sturmovik. The screenshots section on the game's official website features nearly a dozen new screenshots showing off cockpit art, and the videos page features a new "tech demo" trailer from the game. The 20 MB trailer is mirrored on 3D Gamers. Finally, the new X Newsletter is online, offering, among other things, the Game Convention trailer for X: The Return. The 52 MB video of Egosoft's upcoming space game expansion is also available on 3D Gamers.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: No subject Oct 10, 2004, 21:55 Michael Bolton's hair dresser

Man I can't wait for PF!

Dr. Michael Bolton's Hairdreser PhD, MD, LLP, DDS
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Cornershot Oct 10, 2004, 17:55 Paranoid Jack

Is a pistol with a camcorder and assult rifle stock... nothing more. Unless there is an FM radio they didn't mention.

17. Re: Ghost Recon 2 Oct 10, 2004, 17:42 eunichron

it just seems that with traditional iron sights it would be impossible to accurately hit anything when sticking a weapon around the corner.
No doubt. With iron sights the sight picture needs to be dead on to be accurate. With the M16, at 25m any error in alignment is multiplied 50 times. A textbook example, at 300m, a misalignment of 1/10 of an inch will cause you to miss the target by 5 feet.

But then with devices like the M68 red dot CCO, and PAQ-4 infrared laser, there's no alignment needed, and the lasers are calibrated to the barrel of the weapon. They don't account for bullet trajectories of course, but the majority of the time the bullet will hit wherever you put the dot.

16. Re: Ghost Recon 2 Oct 10, 2004, 17:30 Scottish Martial Arts

Not true. As long as the aiming system used by the weapon doesn't require anything to be lined up (like typical iron sights on a rifle), you can hit anything from pretty much any position. Using a PAQ-4 (infrared aiming device) I've hit targets at 75m holding the rifle above my head and upside down. Firing around corners without exposing yourself is definately possible, even without much marksmanship training.

Interesting. Us ROTC guys are lucky to get the M-16s we've got, the high tech stuff is way beyond our means. My experience with the M-16 so far is that the more supported the rifle is, the more likely you'll hit your target. In a fighting positon I can hit a 75m target pretty much all of the time and with tight groupings, at 175m and 300m it's more like 4 out of 5 and 1 out of 2 respectively. From a standing positon I can hit a 25m target 50% of the time, at greater ranges it's just a matter of luck. Now granted I'm not the greatest Marksman in the world but it just seems that with traditional iron sights it would be impossible to accurately hit anything when sticking a weapon around the corner.

15. Re: Ghost Recon 2 Oct 10, 2004, 16:48 cia

Looking forward to Operation Flashpoint 2. I don't think they will consolize it and ruin it, but who knows.

14. Re: Ghost Recon 2 Oct 10, 2004, 16:43 Marvin T. Martian

Too much 3rd person view for me!!!!
FPS all the way! or no money from me.

13. Re: Ghost Recon 2 Oct 10, 2004, 16:01 Bunko

All these new technologies are taking the skill out of life

We bury our sins here, Dave. We wash them clean.

Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

12. Re: Ghost Recon 2 Oct 10, 2004, 15:44 eunichron

It doesn't matter that there is a camera, by not bracing the rifle against your shoulder you will not be able to hold the weapon steadily enough to accurately hit anything.
Not true. As long as the aiming system used by the weapon doesn't require anything to be lined up (like typical iron sights on a rifle), you can hit anything from pretty much any position. Using a PAQ-4 (infrared aiming device) I've hit targets at 75m holding the rifle above my head and upside down. Firing around corners without exposing yourself is definately possible, even without much marksmanship training.

11. Re: Ghost Recon 2 Oct 10, 2004, 15:24 [AIX]Hood

Here's one technology: http://www.cornershot.com/ Here's a picture of a soldier wearing the Land Warrior system that's featured in the game: http://www.dod.mil/news/Mar2004/200403254a.jpg I'm not going to argue with you about how good a marksman you can be without shoulder bracing, but obviously there's merit to it if the DoD is looking to outfit most soldiers with this eventually.

10. Re: Ghost Recon 2 Oct 10, 2004, 14:54 Scottish Martial Arts

If you paid attention during the video, you'd see that it's future technology with a camera mounted on the gun.

Apparently you've never fired a rifle. It doesn't matter that there is a camera, by not bracing the rifle against your shoulder you will not be able to hold the weapon steadily enough to accurately hit anything. It is a huge challenge to shoot accurately standing up, that's not to say it can't be done but it is infinitely easier to shoot from a fighting position or while prone. Unless the rifles of the near future have some sort of auto tracking bullet I can't imagine it being physically possible to accurately fire a rifle in such a manner.

9. Re: Ghost Recon 2 Oct 10, 2004, 14:48 [AIX]Hood

If you paid attention during the video, you'd see that it's future technology with a camera mounted on the gun. They mention that several times.

8. Re: Ghost Recon 2 Oct 10, 2004, 14:38 Scottish Martial Arts

Okay now that's just fucking stupid. Holding a gun around a corner and being able to actually hit anything? Not gonna happen on an M-16. It's hard enough to hit even a twenty five meter target standing up but to then just stick the weapon around a corner and expect to hit something is just fucking stupid.

This comment was edited on Oct 10, 14:38.

7. Re: Ghost Recon 2 Oct 10, 2004, 13:50 Viranth

I think they should rename the Long wolf mode into Rambo mode.

6. Ghost Recon 2 Oct 10, 2004, 13:05 Paranoid Jack

And jeez did Ghost Recon 2 look stupid

I think the look of the game has improved. Not sure how good the gameplay will be since it appears to be far different from the original; as far as Lone Wolf goes... but I am more receptive to it now then I was after seeing a console video early this year.

That doesn't mean I am ready to buy it. I want to see a demo with both versions of play before I commit to a purchase.

I must say it looks like they turned it into a console shooter. I hope I am wrong.

5. Re: lack of organisation Oct 10, 2004, 12:53 Jim

hey blue, could you finally format the movie news in a similiar manner as the other news?
it's impossible to tell apart quickly what game movies there are in the newspost

Yes, please do. I was about to skip this section after reading the first game title, until I saw that the "screenshots section" link was gray/visited. If it weren't for this I would have missed the PF movie.

This comment was edited on Oct 10, 12:54.

Jim

4. Re: lack of organisation Oct 10, 2004, 12:22 Mr Gar

. Sounds
. Good
. To
. Me

3. lack of organisation Oct 10, 2004, 11:55 S_Hole

hey blue, could you finally format the movie news in a similiar manner as the other news?
it's impossible to tell apart quickly what game movies there are in the newspost

2. Re: No subject Oct 10, 2004, 11:03 tacomodo

And jeez did Ghost Recon 2 look stupid

1. No subject Oct 10, 2004, 11:00 tacomodo

That Pacific is going to rule!

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo