Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Mod Squads

The StarCraft Xel'Naga Vengeance mod for CnC Generals: Zero Hour Total has been "Foxed," as they've received a cease-and-desist letter from Blizzard. Thanks Ant.

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: errrr... Oct 8, 2004, 03:22  famished 

But Blizzard has ripped off Games Workshop for years. So what's the issue?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: errrr... Oct 7, 2004, 22:55 Animals for Crackers

I agree that Blizzard is handling this in a rather big corporate tightass manner. But if you look at it from their perspective it does make more sense, business-wise. You don't want to people to associate your intellectual property with your competetitors. (and yes, the C&C series has been and is definately a huge threat to Blizzard's complete domination of the RTS market) People may buy the product of competitors,C&C, just to play the mod that is based off of Starcraft, the game that YOU developed.

Even so, I thought Blizzard of all companies would never do something like this.

Bu

This comment was edited on Oct 7, 22:56.

5. errrr... Oct 7, 2004, 20:44 Bearkyn

I am totally suprised by this.

Normally a huge Blizzard fan, this really disappoints me.

If LucasArts can deal with a StarWars Battlefield mod... the wtf can't Blizzard cope with a fan based mod on their rivals engine (are they really a rival anymore?).
Shouldn't they just be flattered that they "made" (see Warhammer40k for more info on the SC universe :P) a game universe that fans want to keep alive.

With Blizzard setting precident with this, I hate to think we might start seeing other Dev's following suit.

Heck, I was looking forward to the SC DOW mod

Two thumbs wwwaaayyy down Blizzard...

4. Re: Correct decision - Not Oct 7, 2004, 13:47 FourPak

The fact is, mod tools can be used to make any game you want.
I could take the Doom3 editor and make a mod for Morrowind, or vice-versa, if i cared to and neither company could do a thing about it as long as i don't SELL it.

People are too easily intimidated when they see these official-sounding but toothless unenforceable threat letters.

3. Re: Correct decision Oct 7, 2004, 13:27 Tehol

blizzard is not doing any thing with star craft world and some fan made mod bytes their ass now? jeebus blizzard cool down

i know every one touchy about IP thing but star craft engine really old now and fans should be allowed to experiment, no?

2. Re: Correct decision Oct 7, 2004, 06:18 Mr Gar

I suppose itís a good sign, as it suggests they might stop wasting the IP on crappy console games and instead make an RTS sequel one day.

1. Correct decision Oct 7, 2004, 05:42 Flo

Well i'd be pretty pissed as well if someone took my IP and made a mod for a game of my biggest rival.  
Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo