Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Half-Life 2 Preorders Steam Ahead Tomorrow

Valve sends word that Half-Life 2 will be available for purchase over Steam tomorrow, though the game itself will not yet be available at that time. Here's word (again) on the various offers, and how purchasers will receive Counter-Strike: Source immediately:

Tomorrow at 11 am PST, the Half-Life 2 Steam offers will be ready for purchase. Details and pricing for these offers are pasted below. Those who purchase via Steam, will receive the final version of Counter-Strike: Source immediately. Half-Life 2 and other games in the Steam offerings will be made available to purchasers upon their release.

ATI/Half-Life 2 bundle owners may redeem their product key for the Bronze offer or apply their key toward the purchase of either the Silver or Gold offers, receiving a credit equal to the price of the Bronze offer.

Also tomorrow, the Counter-Strike: Source beta will close. Valve would like to thank the thousands of gamers who participated in the beta and helped make it a success.

For more detailed information, please visit www.steampowered.com

Half-Life 2 Steam Offers

STEAM OFFERINGS

1. "Bronze" -- $49.95
-- Half-Life 2*
-- Counter-Strike: Source
*(To be made available upon product's release.)

2. "Silver" -- $59.95
-- Half-Life 2*
-- Half-Life 1: Source*
-- Day of Defeat: Source*
-- Valve's back catalog currently available on Steam *(To be made available upon products' release.)

3. "Gold" -- $89.95
-- Half-Life 2*
-- Half-Life 1: Source*
-- Day of Defeat: Source*
-- Valve's back catalog currently available on Steam
-- Complete Half-Life 2 Strategy Guide from Prima Games
-- 3 different Half-Life 2 posters
-- Half-Life Collector's box
-- Half-Life 2 hat
-- Half-Life 2 postcard
-- Half-Life 2 stickers
-- Half-Life 2 Soundtrack CD
-- Chance to win a trip to Valve! (1 trip offered for every 5000 Gold packages purchased).
*(To be made available upon products' release.)

View
120 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

120. Re: No subject Oct 11, 2004, 14:15 Gandhi

I used steam and CD-keys from previously purchased copies fo HL and all its expansions to install the games and the process was smooth as silk - no hunting for patches.

I am seriously thinking about getting the Silver version instead of a retail CD for HL2.

Decisions, decisions :\

You cannot make anything fool-proof. The fools are too inventive

GW: Tr Gandhi (Ra), Shiva Sung (Mo), Mangal Pandey (Ne), Rana Pratap Singh (Wa), Boddhi Satwa (Ri), Bhagat Singh (De), Bahadur Shastri (Pa)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

119. Re: No subject Oct 9, 2004, 22:02 nin

troll -1

www.muse.mu

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

118. Re: No subject Oct 9, 2004, 20:21 cronik

Surely noone is still exciting by this outdated rubbish.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. couldn't come soon enough, it will bury the steaming pile of turd that is HL2.

117. Re: Using the ATI key Oct 8, 2004, 17:53 Undead Scottsman

Go to "browse games" and then select "register a product I already own" in the lower left hand corner.

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

116. Using the ATI key Oct 8, 2004, 11:01 hottoast

How do i download the bronze version with my ati keys? It looks like I'm being prompted to buy, with no option to use a key. What's the deal?

115. Re: follow-up Oct 7, 2004, 15:39 Warhawk

Hold-up dude, the next post after that says those are old, and NOT legit...

OOOPS - didn't see that post. Sorry.

* Warhawk *

Excuse me, but I am not one of your patients.
You're gonna be somebody's patient if you don't get your ass back down in that chair.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

114. Re: follow-up Oct 7, 2004, 15:37 nin

just reinforced my decision to replay the HL version I own and not spring for a more expensive version of the game that includes HL:S.

Hold-up dude, the next post after that says those are old, and NOT legit...

www.muse.mu

113. Re: follow-up Oct 7, 2004, 15:34 Warhawk

Looking at the HL:Source photos linked here:

http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&threadid=51961&id=203473&boardid=1&view=threads

just reinforced my decision to replay the HL version I own and not spring for a more expensive version of the game that includes HL:S.

* Warhawk *

You're gonna be somebody's patient if you don't get your ass back down in that chair.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

112. follow-up Oct 7, 2004, 14:11 MrShoop

Though when i first tried, my transaction was not completed, in the time I posted here, and clicked back to steam, CS:source becaem avail to me, so while the process was a little rough, it did work, and tehre was no more than a 2 min delay.

111. Re: No subject Oct 7, 2004, 14:09 MrShoop

I had it pre-laoded, just tried to order, and they couldn't process the transaction. so much fo rtheir load testing. ;p

If they can't handle the actual HL2 release is gonna kill them.

110. Re: No subject Oct 7, 2004, 13:57 MMORPGHoD

But that's why you can pre-load the game right now. I already have the game pre-loaded on my system (and it didn't cost anything). You do NOT have to pre-order the game to pre-LOAD it. You only need a valid steam ID (which is free). Then you can pre-order (or even wait and just purchase it online the day of release and then the pre-load will be unlocked.

IMO pre-loads aren't the issue. The traffic on the content servers != traffic on the authorization servers. They are different servers, as I'm sure you already know. I want to see what happens when all the HL2 users attempt to receive the required authorization to play the single player game at the same time. I expect it'll be similar to what already happened where people who were authorized prior to the authorization servers going down were able to play, while those that hadn't been authorized yet were SOL until the authorization servers were able to come back up. Remember, we're talking about a single player game here and I expect the number of 'online' users on "release" day to far exceed anything any MMORPG has had in the past. In other words, I guarantee you they are going to initially underestimate the required servers to authorize everyone.

109. Re: No subject Oct 7, 2004, 13:13 WaltC

The Steam offering is entirely voluntary--it's not the only way to buy the game. Why it should upset anyone that Valve makes them an offer they do not have to accept is beyond me...;)

Personally, I won't be buying the game through Steam after all because the price differential between the boxed edition and the Steam edition is so small as to be non-existent. Also, I think Valve screwed up by not offering a "vanilla" version of HL2 through steam consisting of nothing except HL2 itself, for a price of no more than $29.99.

And, the only thing that might possibly change my mind about the Steam purchase is if Valve offered HL1 Source along with HL2 & CS Source for the $49.95 Bronze price (if the boxed edition didn't also include HL1 Source, that is.) No way am I going to pay $10 more for Silver just to get HL Source (as I paid full price for HL years ago.)

With the currently announced Steam prices and bundles I really don't think VU should be so concerned. However, if Valve doesn't leverage the raw potential of Steam to lower the SRP's of game software below the current boxed-edition levels, then I doubt Steam will help any of us in the long run, including Valve. The chief Value of Steam to me as a software sales & delivery vehicle is to put downward pressure on on current levels of game software SRP's for the traditional game publishers and developers alike, and to get everybody (developers and traditional retail publishers) thinking about profits through volume sales instead of through set SRP's at the current $40-$50 levels. IE, if Valve were to use Steam to set the SRP of HL2 by itself to no more than $29.95, VU would have to follow suit in some fashion, and the result is that eventually the software sales industry would move from an emphasis on SRPs to an emphasis on volume sales. IMO, this is the only way to bring commercial software piracy down.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

108. Re: No subject Oct 7, 2004, 13:11 nin

Is that project even still alive?

Yep. They even had an ad on cnn.com a few weeks ago...

www.muse.mu

107. Re: No subject Oct 7, 2004, 13:07 Warhawk

Some more fuel to the fire -

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=562&ncid=738&e=6&u=/ap/20041007/ap_on_hi_te/tech_test_games_on_demand

So much for whatever slim chance the Phantom console had left - same service, existing computer.

Is that project even still alive?

* Warhawk *

106. Re: No subject Oct 7, 2004, 13:03 Gandhi

Some more fuel to the fire -

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=562&ncid=738&e=6&u=/ap/20041007/ap_on_hi_te/tech_test_games_on_demand

GW: Tr Gandhi (Ra), Shiva Sung (Mo), Mangal Pandey (Ne), Rana Pratap Singh (Wa), Boddhi Satwa (Ri), Bhagat Singh (De), Bahadur Shastri (Pa)

105. Re: No subject Oct 7, 2004, 12:03 Undead Scottsman

So Walmart can screw other retailers by lowering their price...

I understand that it's a contract, I just don't understand why anyone would agree to it. I should have said that instead.
It was either an agreement not to undercut the retailers, or more than likely, no rights to publish Half-Life 2 on Steam at all. Retailers apparently threw a huge hissy fit when 3D Realms offered Shadow Warrior at a discounted price on their website. Imagine the angst an overhyped game like Half-Life 2 would generate in that scenerio. Definatly not something Vivindi wants to deal with.

If Valve offers a better price than the retail package, it makes retailers nervous. That's what it ultimately boils down to, unfortunatly.

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

104. Re: No subject Oct 7, 2004, 11:50 Dross

Wal-mart can price lower than the MSRP because Wal-mart is a retail outlet: they're making a calculated price based on their game supply, perceived game demand, and a desire to undercut their competitors. Valve, meanwhile, is contractually obligated to price according to Vivendi's MSRP so as to not undercut retailers, thus screwing over the retailers, from who 98% of HL2's sales revenue will come from.

There's a difference between a game maker undercutting the people who are selling its games, and a retailer undercutting its competition.

So Walmart can screw other retailers by lowering their price...

I understand that it's a contract, I just don't understand why anyone would agree to it. I should have said that instead.

The point is Valve should be able to lower their price because they don't offer a physical copy. I'm not going to buy it from Steam because I will be able to get the physical copy for less.

103. Re: Why I won't do steam... Oct 7, 2004, 11:40 MrShoop

The advantage in pre-purchase is if you are a counter-strike fan, and there are a lot of counter-strike fans out there. No reason to pre-purchase if your aren't a CD fan. For me, I am about as excited for CS:Source as HL2! So to be able to get and play it today is a huge coup for Steam and Valve.

102. Re: Why I won't do steam... Oct 7, 2004, 11:00 Geese

"If you're not able to purchase it on release day because of heavy traffic, you probably won't be able to play even if you've already paid for it . "

But that's why you can pre-load the game right now. I already have the game pre-loaded on my system (and it didn't cost anything). You do NOT have to pre-order the game to pre-LOAD it. You only need a valid steam ID (which is free). Then you can pre-order (or even wait and just purchase it online the day of release and then the pre-load will be unlocked.

Spread the O&A Virus on XM Radio Channel 202
http://www.opieandanthony.com
http://www.xmradio.com

101. Re: Why I won't do steam... Oct 7, 2004, 10:30 MMORPGHoD

Meh, I think I will wait for the gold announcement and let someone else play the guinea pig before I make the final decision.

Yeah, I don't see any advantage of pre-ordering via steam until the game is ready to download. If you're not able to purchase it on release day because of heavy traffic, you probably won't be able to play even if you've already paid for it :).

It's not like you're pre-ordering a box that's in limited quantity.

This comment was edited on Oct 7, 10:30.

120 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo