Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Scrapland Demo

After a false start a couple of weeks ago (story), the playable demo for American McGee presents Scrapland is now available, offering a sample of the upcoming third-person action game in the works at Mercury Steam. Here's the deal: "This public demo gives gamers the opportunity to experience the futuristic robotic world of Scrapland. It introduces gamers to D-Tritus, an intergalactic traveler who finds himself involved in a series of mysterious murders. With the ability to transform into any of 15 character types, each with their own unique powers, and the skills to pilot hundreds of gunships found throughout the game, D-Tritus must solve this murderous conspiracy plaguing the city of Chimera." The 290 MB download is available on 3D Gamers, ActionTrip, FileFront, Gameguru Mania, Gamer's Hell, and Worthplaying.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Hmm Oct 7, 2004, 10:48 Midnight

This one came out of the blue for me. Not bad at all - I like the style and the concept. It's a bit consolish, but I can live with that. I just wonder how open and free the full version is.

http://www.davidcsimon.com

http://www.crimsondark.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Mc Gee's Oct 7, 2004, 04:28 Youngchicken

I do recommend you all take a look to American McGee's blog:

www.americanmcgee.com/blosxom.cgi/home/

Maybe than you can "refresh" your ideas about this issue.
By the way, it's an excelent blog.

21. Re: No subject Oct 7, 2004, 01:46 Awesome Spume

What they want everyone to think? It's a friggin game, not some multiple-tiered scam aimed at poisoning the world's drinking water.

Heh. Not exactly in the general spirit of the board but a good point nonetheless.

20. Re: No go Oct 7, 2004, 00:23 Sty

Reminds me of JakII... minus the funny.

You know selling dlc before you patch the client doesn't impress upon me the need to support your shit. -massdev

19. Re: No go Oct 6, 2004, 23:53 Overon

Feels way too much like a console game for my tastes. Hell it is a console game. And the whole world it's too kiddieish.

18. Re: No go Oct 6, 2004, 23:53 Overon

17. No go Oct 6, 2004, 23:45 Cheese

Nope.

Will not buy this its too much like a console game,
and the graphics make my eyes hurt . sorry

16. Re: No subject Oct 6, 2004, 22:50 itzaaron

Odd, that they would release the same demo, with the one significant bug unfixed, and without the best in-game song since Wolfenstein 3D. I hope it makes the final cut, I'm really looking forward to this game. I had a lot of fun with the demo, and although the multiplayer I tried was a bit shallow, it was all pretty fun.

I agree that anyone who didn't get the demo when it was first released should try it right away, and tell your friends too.

If anyone notices and other differences, post them and maybe I'll download this. For now, I still have the previous demo installed.

15. Re: No subject Oct 6, 2004, 22:21 sponge

What they want everyone to think? It's a friggin game, not some multiple-tiered scam aimed at poisoning the world's drinking water.

14. Re: No subject Oct 6, 2004, 21:35 Shadowcat

#8: Agreed, I'd think that American basically dictated the game design - i.e. did everything besides actually make the game
doubtless the publishers are thrilled to hear that, as one presumes that's exactly what they want everyone to think. American McGee had nothing at all to do with this game's design (unless there were any VERY late alterations), and to most intents and purposes has nothing to do with the development of Scrapland at all. I believe that some of the developers were more than a little put out by the marketing decision at first, but any publicity is good publiciiity I guess. Having said that, I notice that the name did seem to change from "Scrapland" to "American McGee's Scrapland" to "American McGee Presents: Scrapland", and I can only guess that the latter change was to emphasise in some small way that McGee did not actually design this game. I hope it sells better than it would have done, at least, or the name really will have been worse than pointless.

Now, to download that demo... it sounds like a lot of fun

13. Re: No subject Oct 6, 2004, 21:06 tunis5000

290MB is a big d/l.

I pity dial-up users...

-----------------------------------------------
I like pie.

12. Re: No subject Oct 6, 2004, 20:24 Mad Max RW

There is jumping, but you have to morph into a "Stapler".

11. Hmmmmm.... Oct 6, 2004, 19:58 MacD

I can dig this demo, but I'm not sure I'll get the game. I love the gfx; all shiny, metally and environment mapped goodness with neat lighting and fx.
There are two things which bug me though. And the worst is that you can't jump! I'm not entirely sure why this bugs me so much, or why I even care, but it really bothers me. I guess it's not being able to shortcut over a little ridge which doesn't even come up to over the characters knees.
And the other thing: this game NEEDS to just directly lift the flightmodel from Hardwar (I wonder who remembers that? Great game, massively under-recognised); the current flightmodel isn't a flightmodel at all...it's a floaty swimmy deallie which is just not entirely right.

Still, the demo was fun, and I can dig the humour in the game. Maybe I will pick it up after all

10. Re: No subject Oct 6, 2004, 18:46 Mad Max RW

This is the exact same demo as what was "leaked" a few months ago. The only difference I noticed is the funky song in the first area was removed for some reason. Mouse lag at higher resolutions is still there. And you can't complete the merc ship mission.

Anybody who hasn't played the demo when it was first released should definitely check it out. But at least be aware of the mouse lag and the mysterious merc ship you can't get but are repeatedly told you can.

9. Re: No subject Oct 6, 2004, 17:56 sponge

#8: Agreed, I'd think that American basically dictated the game design - i.e. did everything besides actually make the game (heh)

8. Re: No subject Oct 6, 2004, 17:48 Erratic

There might be a chance that the zombie game he's collaborating with George Romero to make is first person, unless that detail has already been announced somewhere.

And I would assume the "presented by" thing means he oversaw the production of the game, can't think of another reason...

----------------------
- Erratic

7. Re: No subject Oct 6, 2004, 17:47 Panick

Is this the exact same demo that leaked a month ago? You start at the crazy bet guy, kill some cops, get a camera, change into some other robot, do a little race?

If not I'll hafta download this one, cause it was fun.

Edi: 290mb isnt so much, lately a couple of demos have been around 500+ mb.

--------------
Always expect the worst and you will never be dissapointed
This comment was edited on Oct 6, 17:49.

6. Re: No subject Oct 6, 2004, 17:45 Zadillo

American McGee did NOT develop this game. It's just "presented" by him. Don't ask me what that means, other than just trying to get some more attention. This does sound like a pretty cool game to me though, can't wait to check out the demo. The previous descriptions of this being an open-ended game, almost like a GTA-style game in a futuristic setting, have me intrigued.

5. No subject Oct 6, 2004, 17:44 sauron

This looks interesting, although 290MB is a big d/l.

Kittens!

4. Re: No subject Oct 6, 2004, 17:32 MindTrigger

American is cool as hell, but he lost me at "3rd Person action game". I hope he has a 1st person game in the works.

This comment was edited on Oct 6, 17:33.

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo