Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

TRIBES: Vengeance Patch

The first TRIBES: Vengeance patch is now available, updating the latest installment in the multiplayer shooter series to version 1.01, a full day in advance of the game's planned availability (story). The 2 MB patch is accompanied by the following simple explanation: "This file updates the English language version of TribesŪ: Vengeance to version 1.01. It includes general updates and is required for online play." The download can be found on this Sierra Entertainment Downloads Page and mirrored on 3D Gamers, ActionTrip, Boomtown (registration required), FileFront, Gamer's Hell, and Worthplaying.

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: Skiiing and speed discouragement Nov 2, 2004, 18:55 Mr. Snrub

ski backwards, firing the weapon at your feet to provide acceleration.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Skiiing and speed discouragement Oct 23, 2004, 17:27 Ritch

Everybody is talking about the hacks and cracks that should not be there... I agree with the multiplayer function all odds should be equal. I am currently stuck in the game though.

I am pretty far in the one person game and reached the point where I have to do certain trials. I completed all trials, one easier than the other but allright. However there is 1 trial I cannot complete successfully. This phreaking TRIAL OF SPEED... You got to do 5 laps within a certain time frame, and I have tried about 500 times now and I cannot do it... It pisses me of big time!

Does this mean the end of the game to me, because without completing this unreachable goal I cannot continue the game. And a great game it is!!!

I wish I had a crack available to skip this lousy trial or level... Anybody any suggestions how to master this frustration????

H E L P ! ! !

30. Re: No major bugs? Oct 6, 2004, 17:40 Creston

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that I saw a few exploits or hacks/whatever on my first day playing the demo. someone used a speedhack and was instantly at our base again grabbing the flag and warping around with it

I rest my case on the state of the Internet's population. Guilty.

Creston

29. linux server Oct 6, 2004, 14:00 bobsalt

there one planned?

28. Re: No subject Oct 6, 2004, 08:36 Muscular Beaver

Yeah good, you playing it is another good reason not to play it.

________
I'm not... gonna... cry... you... dumb... doo-doo brain!
This comment was edited on Oct 6, 08:44.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

27. No subject Oct 5, 2004, 23:23 space captain

so you whiny ass bitches arent going to be playing??

good

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

26. Re: No major bugs? Oct 5, 2004, 22:21 Muscular Beaver

I remember in the beta when you simply pressed the ski key you would start skiing down the hill instantly or even inside the base skiing was nice to use, now that isnt the case anymore, at least not as fast. and even if you went down against a steep hill and pressed skiing it would still get you at least a little boost. now its as if you run against a wall. you stop instantly. this sometimes even happens on plain ground. if they call that smoothening out, then I dont want to know what they call bug fixing (actually, I already know).

And the netcode is nowhere as good as it was. you might want to jump into a fighter and then go straight up, you will notice how jumpy the netcode is. I also installed TV again to check out the real ping as someone here described. I almost fell out of my chair... in the player list I had an ping of 80 but on that stat net I had an ping of around 420 +/- 20. I also noticed that the less players the lower the ping would get. after there were only 4 players left it went down to 175. And yes, I tried it on different servers, on 6 to be clear.

I wish I could be that optimistic and believe that mods will fix this game. it didnt really work in T2, so I doubt it will work with this game.

I could wait a few years or months until this game is balanced and fixed, but I dont want to start over as a newbie in a few years and facing the hardcore players everywhere. So its a no-go for me. Sad but Im used to developers fucking up promising franchises.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that I saw a few exploits or hacks/whatever on my first day playing the demo. someone used a speedhack and was instantly at our base again grabbing the flag and warping around with it. some people even use that speedhack smart already so that noone will notice it that easy. for example they use it only when firing with the chaingun at you or only for a short time when activating the afterburner of the energypack. This game is already totally fucked up.
________
This comment was edited on Oct 5, 22:26.

- Mojo Jojo

25. Re: No major bugs? Oct 5, 2004, 22:01 Beaner

They nerfed skiing speed and light armor jetpacks (or maybe its due to the "improved" netcode, that is actually much worse than open beta

A bit of a correction. In the demo they smoothed out skiing and actually improved it. Thye did nerf the jets a bit. Part of this isnt a problem. Its a case between two camps in the tribes community. The hardcore Tribes 1 players and the hardcore Tribes 2 players. It seems that Irrational is mostly listening to hardcore Tribes 1 players who want more skiing VS jetting. Also Irrational has put a lot more emphasis on skiing in the base game of Tribes Vengeance than past Tribes titles.

Tribes 2 players, on the other hand, utilized jetting far more in combat and movement than the old style T1 movement. It is a bit of an adjustement if you are use to T2. Im a T2 classic player myself, but give it some time. I can jet and ski in vengeance now just like I did in T2. Actually I ski far faster in TV.

Im sure a classic mod for Tribes vengeance will appear that puts a bit of the beef back into the jets. This will probaly apppear when bigger more vast maps and gameplay are available in various mods.

24. Re: No subject Oct 5, 2004, 21:50 Beaner

This game is far more stable and less bug ridden than T2 when it was released. Irrational simply released the patch so quickly because they are trying their best to please the requests and noted issues submitted by many hardcore MP Tribes players.

I think irrationals first goal was to build the base MP piece to the satisfaction of the community. The gameplay is good, netcode solid. Most important with any game branded Tribes.

Secondly, they are also trying to make the game easier for new players to jump into and enjoy themselves and build a solid single player component. Many have complained that Tribes was bit complicated to learn with just an MP game and no Single player game. Irrational is trying its best to make Tribes vengeance something that will please the hardcore player, and yet easy enough for the newbie to learn and enjoy. Not easy. They've done a pretty good job at blending the two.

I'll put it this way. You'll be able to play Tribes vengeance without it bringing your computer to a crawl. You will be able to play on a server with 32 players and truly enjoy full fledge mulitplay gaming without any harsh annoyances or bugs. (ala Far Cry). On top of all that, the modding community for this game will Turn Tribes vengeance into several games packed into one.

The early patch doesnt mean the game isnt playable. Its a response from the Tribes community to add additonal changes and improvements on an already stable game.

Kudos Irrational. Now lets get those new maps, mods, models, sound packs a rollin!

23. No subject Oct 5, 2004, 21:15 Protoz

I loved the beta, but the demo was so slow it was unbearable!

I used to be able to ski across WinterLake Imperial side with ease. Now I'm lucky to get half as far without running out of power...

Not picking this up anymore...

22. Re: No subject Oct 5, 2004, 19:19 MeatForce

I'm just excited about it as an SP experience, although it feels weird saying that because it's Tribes..

The MP demos just didn't float my boat, but Irrational+SP experience=oh hell yes

I think it's gonna be sweet

-----
"I want my lamp back. I'm gonna need it to get out of this slimy mudhole."

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

21. Re: No subject Oct 5, 2004, 18:41 ZzeusS

Maybe someone will mod it back to Tribes 1 and it will be fun again.

20. Re: No subject Oct 5, 2004, 18:03 Bucky

(Cue obligatory bitches and moans by anyone below that age.

*Obligatory bitching and moaning*

This comment was edited on Oct 5, 18:03.

19. Re: No subject Oct 5, 2004, 17:52 Creston

Good points ZigZang, it's a bit of the turnside of the Mod medal isn't it?
I never play multiplayer anymore because 99.99999999% of all people on the Internet aren't worth the air that they breathe, and I'm heartily awaiting a law that bans anyone < 25 years of age from the Net. (Cue obligatory bitches and moans by anyone below that age )

This whole patching before it's released is just fucked up. While some people will proclaim that it's a sign that "developers are very dedicated to their game", to me it's a sign of "Get it released now so we can make money, then see about actually getting it to work later".
Considering the fact that it obviously wasn't done, and STILL they decided to come out during a time when an absolute fucking HORDE of games is being released, this doesn't speak well of the publisher either, but all publishers are fucking rats anyways, so no surprise there.

They raped my ass with Tribes 2, and the only reason I even bothered to marginally follow Vengeance was because of Irrational. If you made System Shock 2 you get much love in my house.

This whole imminent patching bullshit has already turned me off again though. It will probably only be 2 weeks before all the "Waaah, I can't play it at 5000000000fps on my P2-400 and my Virge graphics card, it needs to be nerfed!" whiners will get the publisher to lame all the maps and fuck all the graphics, so we'd all feel like we're playing something from the Nintendo 8 bit system. There are far better things to spend money on, fortunately.

Btw, did anyone get the Van Helsing DVD today? Any decent extras on it?

Creston

This comment was edited on Oct 5, 17:56.

18. Re: No major bugs? Oct 5, 2004, 17:37 Muscular Beaver

I played the open beta and then the MP demo. All I can say is CRAP. They nerfed skiing speed and light armor jetpacks (or maybe its due to the "improved" netcode, that is actually much worse than open beta, IMO it feels much laggier than before), so that is not as much fun anymore. And then so many bugs are still present from the beta. As you already said, the air discs dont register properly, speech sounds still stutter sometimes "I'll de---fend our base", flags still get stuck, the sound of the fighter is still some low quality ever-looping engine sound as if it is switching gears all the time, vehicles still get stuck in their spawn point sometimes, people only get points when the power is online if they repair destroyed inventory stations, scoring system is fucked up, etc ETC ETC. Those were the bugs I noticed after only a few hours of playing the MP demo the first time, and I am 100% sure I forgot a bunch more. I guess I dont have to mention that I uninstalled the demo right after. I am pretty mad at them for screwing the game up that bad. The beta wasnt that greater either, though I still would have bought it (geez, I loved the skiing speed), but the final version is a joke... dont count on me buying this crap, Irrational.

________

This comment was edited on Oct 5, 17:44.

- Mojo Jojo

17. Re: No major bugs? Oct 5, 2004, 17:18 Overon

Played the Open beta like crazy, and then tried out the MP Demo to see if the game was worth getting. You won't see me near it until i know that they've fixed the air disc bug--5 minutes of playtime in that demo and it should be apparent to anyone that only about 50% of air discs actually register (and I'm talking about damage vs. the opponent, don't even get me started on style points).
They will never fix the air disc bug. On the tribalwar forums there have been countless threads on this since tribes 1. I don't know the exact details but they keep saying that since no weapons in T:V are hitscan they all have a travel time, it can't be totally fixed. They can reduce its occurrence but never eliminate it totally because of client server lag issues. However the whole scoring system is completely inconsistent. You kill a guy who is feet away from your flag and sometimes you get a bonus point for defending your flag and sometimes you don't. Even air disking a guy and seeing his energy drop still doesn't always give you a bonus point regardless of the non-reg (non registering hit as it's known). You kill a guy over your base and you get a bonus point for "kiling an enemy flag defender." Even this is inconsistent. You would think that they would just have a radius and if you killed someone within that radius you would get bonus points. So if you kill a guy with a radius of his own flag, you killed an enemy flag defender. ETC. But this system is totally inconsistent and broken.

Also there T:V has bad networking code. I don't think they will do anything more to improve that. Add -console to your mp demo shortcut. Then hit tab to bring up the console in game and type stat net. It's like ut2k4 stat net command. When you haven't joined a team look at your ping. Then join a team and you will see how your ping rises. If you are used to Doom/Quake/ID Software tight networking code and low pings, you will be disappointed with it in tribes. In the game menu you will see you have a ping of 70. You think great. But type stat net and you will see what your ping really is. The game's networking code just isn't crisp. And if you have been following some of the discussions in the tribalwar forums you will see how server administrators complain how resource heavy running a T:V server is compared to other FPS games. They say that other games they are able to run a few servers on one box while in T:V they can't. And there probably won't ever be a linux server for T:V either.

This comment was edited on Oct 5, 17:21.

16. Re: No subject Oct 5, 2004, 17:09 Overon

The game really had no show stoping bugs, a couple of minor problems but it seems like a pretty good idea to start creating and packaging the game and have a patch on release to fix some of the smaller non critical issues than to delay the manufacturing process to make the changes and have the release date pushed back.
I agree I don't see or hear about any show stopping bugs. However having the obvious bugs that are in there now is worrysome. It shows that they weren't willing to polish it before release even though the bugs have been reported since the open beta. This worries me because I'm afraid they will never fix them aka abandonware. I need to see how firm the commitment is to fix these problems before I put down any money. I would hate to have a repeat of other games I have bought knowing they had problems and they were abandoned and never fixed.

15. Re: No major bugs? Oct 5, 2004, 16:37 Animals for Crackers

In part I think this is what turned off alot of T2 players in that they would jump into a modded game unknowingly

Filters took care of all that for me.

14. No major bugs? Oct 5, 2004, 14:29 Bucky

Played the Open beta like crazy, and then tried out the MP Demo to see if the game was worth getting. You won't see me near it until i know that they've fixed the air disc bug--5 minutes of playtime in that demo and it should be apparent to anyone that only about 50% of air discs actually register (and I'm talking about damage vs. the opponent, don't even get me started on style points).

That being said, I did enjoy the beta and demo quite a bit. Provided round one two of bugsquashing gets the major bugs, I'm in.

13. Re-Publish The Game with New Patch Oct 5, 2004, 14:26 NoGodForMe

I don't mind all the patches. But Sierra and Irrational should re-gold the game and send a new version to the publisher so any one buying it for Christmas will have the latest updates.

I tried the demo on my new AMD FX53 machine and it crashed. I'm going to wait and see details of the problems before I pull my hair out.

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo