Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Knights of Honor & DAEMON Tools

Knights of Honor game removes DAEMON Tools DLL-file on CD Freaks.com (thanks Tiscali Games) is a story outlining a problem a user of DAEMON Tools encountered installing the game. According to the post, installing the game deleted a DLL from this utility that's used for making backups of CDs and thwarting copy protection and such. We contacted SUNFLOWERS for their side of this story, and this is what they had to say:

Concerning your question about Knights of Honor:

Knights of Honor does not delete any DLLs.

This is caused by Daemon-Tools itself, if it is running while being unlocked.

Kind regards,
Uwe Mathon

Localisation Manager

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Daemon tools Oct 23, 2004, 17:05 nin

Any answers?

Fixed exes...

www.muse.mu

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Daemon tools Oct 22, 2004, 23:04 kittle

So the question is, What is the software to use? I use alcohol 120% and recieve the same problems with Doom3 and Unreal 04. I want the speed of disk emulation. It is our right. They are leaving no choice but to start hacking / cracking. Any answers?

25. No subject Oct 4, 2004, 23:20 space captain

what can we do about it?? file a class action lawsuit for annoyances?

i just dont see why these corps think they can win against the pirates - its just not going to happen... ever

"Now you see that evil will always triumph. Because good is DUMB." - Dark Helmet

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

24. Re: uhh Oct 4, 2004, 21:14 anon@24.76

all the people that liked the Blizzard vs BnetD decision better suck it up. Because stuff like this is directly related to that. Now companies could be allowed to put clauses in the EULA that would let them do anything to your computer, and if the BnetD decision isnt appealed there would be nothing you could do about it.

23. No subject Oct 4, 2004, 21:12 Acleacius

" Can somebody clarify for us ignernt idgits exactly what 'running while being unlocked' means"

Im guessing he is trying to say that, "write protection" attribute. ie rightclick-properties, causes the game not to load, but he then is saying it "write protection" is turned off Dameon selfdesturcts.
I'll leave you to guess how cretable that statment is

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

22. Re: uhh Oct 4, 2004, 20:02 Grandmaster Demonlord Toadeater

Knights of Dishonor.

21. Re: uhh Oct 4, 2004, 18:24 Awesome Spume

First game I ever warezed was ThiefII. I loved it so much I sent a check for $100 to Looking Glass.

So would that be an anonymous cheque? If you just sent them a cheque with no explanation you probably caused thousands of dollars of lost productivity as they tried to figure out why they'd received it. You're probably one of the reasons they went bust.

20. Re: uhh Oct 4, 2004, 18:06 Nassus

I'm gonna just start dloading all warez versions and I'll send a check directly to the studio and bypass the publishers! That is if the game is any good. Maybe I'll have a sliding scale of payment rather than the zero sum game that is the video game crapshoot now.

It sucked paying $50 for Doom3 and maybe getting $25 of playtime. Bah, it's all subjective anyway.

First game I ever warezed was ThiefII. I loved it so much I sent a check for $100 to Looking Glass. Fat lot of good that did. It isn't that I can't afford video games, I just get REALLY pissed when I buy one that SUCKS.

Maybe I'm asking too much.

This comment was edited on Oct 4, 18:08.

19. Re: uhh Oct 4, 2004, 16:52 WebDemon

Pissing off paying customers because you don't like what they have installed on the computers is a sure bet to drive a lot of people to piracy. Store bought version doesn't work? Oh well, take it back and get it CRACKED from usenet.
Doesn't ANYBODY learn from those asshats at the RIAA?

18. Re: uhh Oct 4, 2004, 16:41 BIGtrouble77

Damn, and I wanted to snag this game. I'm not even sure it's gonna be available in the US anyway.

17. Re: uhh Oct 4, 2004, 16:34 Overon

New Ubisoft games all require that you do not have Deamon tools, Nero, Clone-CD, or any other programs installed that run virtual CD's.
That's not true. Myst 4 Revelation is a Ubisoft published game and it's "new" and I have daemon tools installed and was able to install myst 4 and play it without any problems.

This comment was edited on Oct 4, 16:43.

16. Re: No subject Oct 4, 2004, 16:25 nin

We are missing the big point here.
The game is shit.

It does amaze me that any game publisher would use a copy protection system that hurts PAYING customers. That's just dumb as hell...do they honestly believe the CP stops piracy? Or even curbs it? Why would you intentionally piss off people that PAID for the game?

http://www.johnwaitethehardway.com/index2.htm

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

15. Re: uhh Oct 4, 2004, 16:23 TickleMyElmo

I don't buy Ubisoft games anymore, and I tell everyone I can at the Video game store I work at not to as well

Too bad that's like half of all games. You better hope EA and Sierra don't follow suit, or you're not going to be playing anything but solitaire.

14. Re: No subject Oct 4, 2004, 16:04 Overon

We are missing the big point here.
The game is shit.

This comment was edited on Oct 4, 16:05.

13. No subject Oct 4, 2004, 15:47 space captain

it means you cant install a pirated version of the game using a virtual CD mount via Daemon tools...

youd have to make physical CDs of the pirated copy instead

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

12. No subject Oct 4, 2004, 15:36 B M

More Bull from a game company.
I smell a lawsuit from Demon Tools or their users.

11. Re: uhh Oct 4, 2004, 15:14 Zee

New Ubisoft games all require that you do not have Deamon tools, Nero, Clone-CD, or any other programs installed that run virtual CD's. I don't buy Ubisoft games anymore, and I tell everyone I can at the Video game store I work at not to as well. Guess I'll just add these guys to the list. I really hope this does not become an industry wide trend. It would be interesting to see what the EFF would have to say about this issue.

10. Re: uhh Oct 4, 2004, 15:00 Blackhawk

Can somebody clarify for us ignernt idgits exactly what 'running while being unlocked' means?

9. Re: uhh Oct 4, 2004, 14:32 7.62WorldOrder

This is caused by Daemon-Tools itself, if it is running while being unlocked.

*sniff* *sniff*

Hmmm... what's that smell?

This comment was edited on Oct 4, 14:32.

8. Daemon-Tools doesn't do this Oct 4, 2004, 14:03 CeeJay

Daemon-tools does not delete its own files.

I have notified the developers in Daemon-tools beta-tester forum (which is locked and hidden to all non-betatesters/developers .. don't bother looking for it) of Sunflowers response , since they might want share their side of the story too.

CeeJay
- Deamon-tools betatester

I'm the developer of SweetFX

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo