Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

We're off today to return Sparky, our fluffy little houseguest, to his rightful family. As always, we had a fine old time babysitting the pooch, who is still getting around great in spite of his advancing years. In fact, Sparky had a rousing play session the other night with Hudson the wonder dog that has really pushed me towards thinking she would appreciate another dog in the house as a playmate. Terriers have a very independent nature, and when this topic has come up in the past, we've been able to see a good case for why she actually preferred being the lone wolf, but at this point I really think overall she'd prefer the company. When this topic comes up I refer to the idea as getting Hudson a pet, but I'm pretty sure I'd still have to be the one to walk it.

Stories of the Day: Cancer Scandal.
Science!: Article Blood doping test cannot be cheated New Scientist
Media of the Day! Soccer Ball madness.Thanks Ant.
Image of the Day: FoxTrot.
Thanks Mike Martinez.

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: Tango's movie news Oct 3, 2004, 22:25 JoeCool

Additionally, the South Park creators have already said that TA:WP will be an equal-oppertunity parody of both America and the "Axis of Evil." I can't wait for Kim Jung's ballad "It's so ronry at the wop"...

A whitehouse staffer already complaied about TA:WP as "Making fun of the T.W.A.T." lol

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: Tango's movie news Oct 3, 2004, 22:19 MeatForce

But how the hell did the Thai audiance understand the movie, do they all know English?!

LOL! Ummm.. well if you've ever been there, you'll know what I mean by "sort of?" Heh.

But I think you sort-of alluded to your own answer as well -- I'd bet there are just enough Mandarin-speakers living in Bangkok to make it worthwhile. I was there for Chinese New Year (and stayed in Chinatown), and was a freakin' riot! One of the coolest things was that people would string up these makeshift movie screens in the streets, haul-in a projector in the back of a pick-up, and at night, families would gather to watch screenings of old Kung-Fu flicks (mostly) - it was pretty surreal, but completely amazing.

There was some wacky stuff in those films though, lol! Never had a clue about what I was looking at

Another (also fake) version of the story of Emperor Qin and the assassins is found in the (also very pretty, but an attack on totalitarianism) Chinese film "The Emperor and the Assassin."

Cool, thanks - I'll have to give it a look!

-----
"I want my lamp back. I'm gonna need it to get out of this slimy mudhole."

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

34. Re: Tango's movie news Oct 3, 2004, 21:43 Sixis

Since the Thai's would be well aware of pre-modern China's claim of universal rule (although in the Chinese sphere of influence, Thailand refused to send tribute to Chinese emperors, leading to quite a few wars between Thailand and China) you wouldn't have been able to make the dialog switch without people noticing. But how the hell did the Thai audiance understand the movie, do they all know English?! Of course, the movie was really about doing great cinematography, so it might not matter.

If you want the history behind the (completely made-up) story you could find excepts from the dynastic histories of the Grand Historian Sima Qian. Another (also fake) version of the story of Emperor Qin and the assassins is found in the (also very pretty, but an attack on totalitarianism) Chinese film "The Emperor and the Assassin." Too bad its over 3 hours long.

Anyone see Ghost in the Shell 2 yet? I've been avoiding it for fear it will suck.

33. Re: Tango's movie news Oct 3, 2004, 21:27 MeatForce

This hasn't been widely disseminated, but Hero is a propaganda film for the Chinese government. For those who have seen it, think about the theme:

The "two words", spoken in Mandarin as "Tian Shen" are translated in the subtitles as "Our Land" (or, in American minds, China). What it means in Mandarin is "ALL UNDER HEAVEN", or the entire world.

I haven't thought about the film from a propagandistic standpoint, but I can say this: I saw the film almost a year ago, in Bangkok when it was first released, and was so blown away by both the visuals and story that I saw it twice in the same day.

The version I saw was Mandarin with English subs, and in that translation, the English for Tian Shen was definitely rendered as "All Under Heaven", as you say it should be (although, I tend to think that "Heaven" there would just as easily represent the Emperor, since isn't that what the Emperor effectively represents himself?)..

Anyway, I had absolutely no trouble following the story (in fact, as I say, I was really taken in by it), so I wonder why they re-did the subs for the NA release.. Did Quentin write the dialogue, or something? I might just have to go see it just to find out what else they fiddled with..

Apparently there is a region 1 DVD of the version I saw floating around out there -- all the menus in Mandarin, but there are English subs in there somewhere, for any purists out there...

-----
"I want my lamp back. I'm gonna need it to get out of this slimy mudhole."

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

32. Re: Tango's movie news Oct 3, 2004, 20:55 Sixis

"Were Bush a Chinese Politician a "terrorist strike" would have occured during one of the Democratic Primary debates, tragically killing all democratic presidential hopefulls."

Actually, that probably would have helped the democrats:

"Look, the terrorists are scared of the Dems and want you to vote for Bush!"

Of course, might have given us a better nominee too...

31. Re: Tango's movie news Oct 3, 2004, 20:50 Sixis

FourPak, I specifically said that the movie wasn't directed at us, it was directed for Chinese domestic comsumption, specifically to undermine individual protest and remind the Chinese that all their problems are Taiwan's fault. The "utopianism" I was talking about is a very different form than Bush's (actually, Bush's ideology is far more insane and dangerous). Still, I do take offense that the English translation is so deceptive.

Additionally, the South Park creators have already said that TA:WP will be an equal-oppertunity parody of both America and the "Axis of Evil." I can't wait for Kim Jung's ballad "It's so ronry at the wop"...

If only the Thunderbirds movie had used real puppets.

30. Re: Tango's movie news Oct 3, 2004, 20:49 Scottish Martial Arts

the Chinese are amateur autocrats compared to George "get in our way and we'll exterminate you!" Bush II

My Poli Sci professor would vehemently disagree with that. Were Bush a Chinese Politician a "terrorist strike" would have occured during one of the Democratic Primary debates, tragically killing all democratic presidential hopefulls.

29. Re: Tango's movie news Oct 3, 2004, 19:44 FourPak

if Hero == Chinese propaganda then "Team America: World Police" == US propaganda.

As for Paranoid Delusional Utopian Fantasies of a One World Government and "NEW WORLD ORDER" (you do recall who uttered that phrase don't ye? it wasn't Chairman Mao it was Lord Bush I), the Chinese are amateur autocrats compared to George "get in our way and we'll exterminate you!" Bush II.

edit: nyuk nyuk "Putting the "F" back in Freedom!!!
http://www.teamamericamovie.com/

edit2: hey if anyone thinks They've got it bad, imagine us poor SF 49er fans! waaaah!
This comment was edited on Oct 3, 19:55.

28. Re: Don't forget the game Blue! Oct 3, 2004, 19:35 Devster

ack interception, fumble, interception, interception.
hehe. I picked Houston in my pool anyways.

Use your head, don't lose it - Don't feed the trolls!

Boycott Belligerent Boycotters!

27. Re: Don't forget the game Blue! Oct 3, 2004, 19:11 FourPak

don't forget Kerry Collins starting his first game for Oakland
ack interception, fumble, interception, interception.

26. Re: OT Oct 3, 2004, 19:06 Tango

If you know any of the lines just Google them. Found many a catchy tune that way

Despite being UK based your description of the song doesn't ring any (irritating) bells! Not much Irish music in Bristol...

25. Re: OT Oct 3, 2004, 19:06 Tango

Edit: DP sorry

This comment was edited on Oct 3, 19:06.

24. Re: Giants again Oct 3, 2004, 18:59 Bronco

I only saw the highlights, but now that the Eagles landed themselves that new workout buddy, they are looking tough. Not sure who in the NFC can put a beating on them.

If they have a weakness, it's their run defense. I can think of a few teams that run the ball well.

The Eagles have yet to play from behind for any significant length of time, should be interesting when that happens.

It sure would be nice for them to take that next step this year.

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.com

I've listened to Michael Jackson's Three-Dimensional Cow, have you?

-TPFKAS2S

23. Cancer Scandal Oct 3, 2004, 18:52 FourPak

ya gotta wonder if this isn't the rule rather than the exception, and the reason why, for the last 40 Years, medical science has made about as much progress on Cancer as NASA has on getting back to the moon.

Compare what was being said by researchers 4 Decades ago to what is being said today and it's nearly word-for-word identical.

22. OT Oct 3, 2004, 18:40 The Truth

this is driving me nuts.

back home in England, at chritmas in bars there is this one song that is sung, its from an irish group i think, got a guy and a woman singing in it, and i think she calls him ugly and he insults her back (its part of the lyrics).

The thing is everyone knows the words, i know the words when i hear it but i cannot remember the name of the group or the name of the song, i think the groups name sounds like po, i think, im prolly completly wrong, anyways
if anyone can help it would be appreciated!

------
Stop the Politics posts
Say NO to WAR themed comments
DOWN WITH BUSH ... is just an inflammatory remark, designed to provoke a response, ignore the trolls
STOP POLLUTING This message board with dumb political comments

------
Diablo & Diablo 2 for the DS, it makes sense Blizzard!

21. Re: Giants again Oct 3, 2004, 17:50 Devster

That was an ugly game all around, especially in the first half. Good offense by the Giants though, the game coulda been a bigger beating - especially after the docs wouldn't let number 4 back in (funny how the cameras kept cutting to him on the sidelines with the helmet on). Hope he isn't bashed up too bad.

I only saw the highlights, but now that the Eagles landed themselves that new workout buddy, they are looking tough. Not sure who in the NFC can put a beating on them.

Boycott Belligerent Boycotters!

20. Giants again Oct 3, 2004, 17:02 banddirector

You (NY) Giants fans must be goin' nuts about now. Coughlin's not so bad, eh?

------------------------------------------------
I am a spreader, and I like pop tarts, and I'm not an unwashed heathen.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

19. Re: Tango's movie news Oct 3, 2004, 16:49 Josh

Woot!...Colts put on another clinic today. 3 and 1 baby! Here's something else of interest. http://www.drudgereport.com/dnc57.htm It explains how Kerry brought a cheat sheet to the debate, which is against section 5, pages 4-5 of the binding "Memorandum of Understanding" that was negotiated and agreed upon by both political campaigns. Video too in case you don't want to just read about it.

Josh, Your Friendly Neighborhood Troll
--Waiting for Halsy's dad to break my kneecaps--

18. Re: Tango's movie news Oct 3, 2004, 15:21 Tango

I think the propaganda accusations are a little far fetched. Yes, the film extols the virtue of the security of a totalitarian system as opposed to personal freedoms and democracy, but a) it is set 2000 years ago, b) this is only a surprising suggestion to Western audiences, for whom the film was not originally intended and c) it is no worse than the countless bullshit Hollywood "America Saves The Day" films that are just as ridiculous and inaccurate. Your writing school example could just as easily be extended to Daisy Cutter bombs today.

I'm not writing this to start a political war, I'm only trying to discuss the merits (and the issues raised) by the film. I take your point 100% and yes, I have reservations about the message of the film. However, I've sat through just as much shit filmed on behalf of our side.

17. No subject Oct 3, 2004, 14:55 Camaro76

We're off today to return Sparky, our fluffy little houseguest, to his rightful family.

Just be careful where you park, ok?

---------------------------------------------
[No pixels were harmed in the making of this post.]
Vote Toothpick Spreader Party in 2004!

--------
BOOBIES Filter Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/BOOBIES_filter.user.js
Punk Buster (Ignore Trolls) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >