Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Man -- we have another tropical storm heading up the east coast... sympathies to the folks in the southeast who got to experience yet another hurricane. On a much more mundane note, I still haven't gotten to the overgrown half of my lawn since I let it turn into a jungle, if I don't get to that before this next downpour I may be faced with a problem impossible to overcome with just a lawnmower. On the other hand, I picked up a new snow shovel today, it has one of those back-friendly bends in the handle, so at least I'm as ahead of the game on snow-removal as I am behind on gardening.

Link of the Day: Oops! You bwoke it. StrongBad 404. Thanks Ian.
Stories of the Day: Virgin boss in space tourism bid. Thanks Jaruzel.
Sweden to save 'sinking' town.
Authorities seize 80,000 cans of dog food sold as foie gras. Thanks Warren. Life as a Honeymooners episode.
Science!: Changing at the Push of a Button.
Scientists Find Trick to How Birds Navigate.
Nanotechnology aims to cure smelly feet.
Media of the Day: Instant Mess. Thanks Tony Fabris.
Auction of the Day: Holy Grail of Collectable Computers - Apple-1 CPU.
Thanks Mike Martinez.

View
50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

50. Re: Coolings Sep 29, 2004, 09:15 nin

Having 'dotted' my compound.

R-ing TFM HEATHEN! (I kid, I kid)...

http://www.johnwaitethehardway.com/index2.htm

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

49. Re: Coolings Sep 29, 2004, 06:33 Bronco

I dont run a 64 (yet ) but I have the Zalman all copper cooler, which I have found to be quiet and effective and it works for 64s too.
Only problem is that it is way over AMD's recommended weight for a heatsink so it's a bit dodgy moving it about. Plus it's slightly pricey.

I have the AlCu cooler on my AMD64. I picked it over the all Cu cooler because of the weight. My PC is tucked into an armoir that sits closed for most of the day. Once the kids are in bed the doors are opened and the CPU is usually in the high teens to low 120s F. While the case interior is around 100-110F. Ten minutes after the doors are open its more like Case 85F CPU 95F.

Having 'dotted' my compound.

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.com

I've listened to Michael Jackson's Three-Dimensional Cow, have you?

-TPFKAS2S

48. Re: Stirring the politcal pot... Sep 29, 2004, 01:13 Warhawk

There's a real divisiveness in the U.S. right now that's really bad, and really dangerous for the longevity of the union.

I agree.

The right doesn't represent my best interests anymore than the left does theirs.

I agree. However, The only time in recent history that a 3rd party guy ran and got >3-5% of the vote was Ross Perot (+/- 18% ). He wasn't really what I was looking for either.

I don't recall any president ever doing more to divide the people. He doesn't even make a pretense at bi-partisanship. The GOP really need to ease off the extreme-right crap or it's going to cause more damage than they can possibly imagine.

Bush isn't that right-wing - on a lot of issues he's tried to ride more to the center (increased spending on social programs, etc., driving up the deficeit, which you then decry).

A few examples:

Federal spending for Education, up 49% since 2001.

Opened or expanded community and rural health centers.

Granted waivers and flexibility to states to extend eligibility under Medicaid and the State Children’s Health Insurance Program (SCHIP) to an estimated 2.6 million low-income Americans.

Implemented a new rule to lower drug costs for millions of Americans by strengthening competition between generic and brand-name drugs, saving Americans $35 billion in drug costs over the next ten years.

The first President to propose caps on emissions of mercury. Will finalize the rule that will cut mercury emissions from power plants by 70 percent.

Press for reauthorization of welfare reform and build on its successes, strengthening families and helping more welfare recipients achieve independence through work.

Vowed to sign assault weapons ban, if sent to his desk (it wasn't, but you can't blame him for that).

Kerry is just a politician's politician and while he may not make things much better, he certainly won't make them any worse.

You don't know that, and this is where we really disagree. Of course, you'll say that you do know that (just like the WMDs, blah, blah, blah - we don't need to hear you repeat that over and over again), but in reality, nobody knows what Kerry will do in office or how effective he would be if elected. I do know that I agree with the conservative viewpoints a lot more than the liberal ones, so I do not want to see Kerry elected.

I know there are a lot of classic conservatives on the right who are just as tired of the neocon BS as well. I've seen a few articles by Pat Buchanan criticizing them with some very astute insight and I thought it would be a cold day in hell before I ever agreed at all with what that man ever had to say about anything, but son-of-a-bitch, it must be snowing in hell because I do agree with him - on this much at least.

And there's some prominent Democrats saying that they'd rather see Bush elected.

Among them:
Zell Miller
Ed Koch

I too, however, wish there were more choices to choose from. I just don't see Kerry as someone I could vote for and expect him to make this country better than it is or be aggressive in defending it.

And I really don't want to turn this into another long-winded discussion that won't get anyone anywhere, so I'm done on this topic.

* Warhawk *

"Uh...Uh, everything's under control. Situation normal."
"What happened?"
"Had a slight weapons malfunction but, uh, everything's perfectly all right now. We're all fine here, how are you?"

This comment was edited on Sep 29, 01:16.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

47. Re: Stirring the politcal pot... Sep 29, 2004, 00:34 Halsy

Actually that quote is from Woody Allen's, Play It Again Sam. But, I love Bogey too. Big fan. I have this really sweet Bogart print up on my wall with him standing out from of Rick's Cafe.

Creston, I agree. I'm left, not democrat. I think it's long past due for the two party stranglehold of the elites to end and real democracy - proportional representation - to begin. Out of close to 100 "democracies" around the globe the only 4 left that don't have proportional representation are America, Canada, England and India. That's pretty sad.

There's a real divisiveness in the U.S. right now that's really bad, and really dangerous for the longevity of the union. I've seen people openly talking about secession. The whole first past the post style of politics leaves far too many people out in the cold politically speaking. The right doesn't represent my best interests anymore than the left does theirs. And no party should govern excluding the other half of the population as if they didn't exist.

This is my biggest problem with Bush. All his "I'm a uniter not a divider" and "I'm a compassionate conservative" were beyond bullshit. I don't recall any president ever doing more to divide the people. He doesn't even make a pretense at bi-partisanship. The GOP really need to ease off the extreme-right crap or it's going to cause more damage than they can possibly imagine. People won't put up with this sort of extremist bullshit forever. It's how revolutions and civil wars start.

Kerry is just a politician's politician and while he may not make things much better, he certainly won't make them any worse. I'm just hoping that after this election people start to get serious about proportional representation and start really looking at 3rd, 4th and 5th party candidates.

I know there are a lot of classic conservatives on the right who are just as tired of the neocon BS as well. I've seen a few articles by Pat Buchanan criticizing them with some very astute insight and I thought it would be a cold day in hell before I ever agreed at all with what that man ever had to say about anything, but son-of-a-bitch, it must be snowing in hell because I do agree with him - on this much at least.

"I never saw a dame yet that didn't understand a good slap in the mouth or a slug from a .45."
- Bogart, Play it Again Sam

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

46. Re: newegg site down? Sep 28, 2004, 21:03 Scottish Martial Arts

Hey, did anyone on the west coast feel an earthquake? I just saw a report that San Jose just had an earthquake.

Yeah was probably about 11:30. Very minor, felt more like my heart was beating extra hard more than anything else. Oh and I'm in Santa Clara.

45. Re: Coolings Sep 28, 2004, 19:48 Bunko

I'm looking into buying a socket 939 Athlon64 (3500 prolly) for my new system
Just as a heads up, AMD just very quietly released 3000+ and 3200+ 90nm chips for the 939 pin platform, so if you're looking for a cheaper alternative, it's avaiable.

I may have to do an upgrade sometime next year. I'm thinking Althon 64 3200+ on PCI-Express 939 board and Geforce 6600GT.

We bury our sins here, Dave. We wash them clean.

Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

44. Re: No subject Sep 28, 2004, 19:26 MeatForce

DUDE! I've got a 5 and a quarter drive I'll sell ya for $75!

ugh.. you've just caused me to remember paying ~$100 for a 3.5" floppy for my A2000 once. Was at a computer show, too -- a real steal!

-----
"... this has ALL been done before, better and by people who are slightly more competent than a pack of one eyed gerbils on acid."

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

43. Re: Coolings Sep 28, 2004, 19:18 Tango

I dont run a 64 (yet :)) but I have the Zalman all copper cooler, which I have found to be quiet and effective and it works for 64s too.
Only problem is that it is way over AMD's recommended weight for a heatsink so it's a bit dodgy moving it about. Plus it's slightly pricey.

I'm going to run away from this thread before anyone says "it doesn't matter which one you use as long as you spread/ toothpick / small dot your compound :o" That debate was settled. Right? RIGHT?!!

42. Re: Wha? Sep 28, 2004, 19:13 Creston

Bush: I'm doing a good job. Give me 4 more years. My oppponent will not.

Kerry: He's been doing a bad job. I will do better. Don't give him 4 more years.

There, I just saved you a few hours of blah, blah, blah.

I think you've just summarized every election ever held in Western civilization.

Both candidates suck, just as they did four years ago. Maybe in 2008 a decent candidate will pop up. I'm still firmly convinced that the US needs a third party to come to power, so we can get rid of this "If Republicans say yes, we say no, and if democrats say no, we say yes" bullshit that's been going on for God knows how long.

Creston

41. Coolings Sep 28, 2004, 19:07 Creston

Hey guys, I need some hardware advice.

I'm looking into buying a socket 939 Athlon64 (3500 prolly) for my new system, but I can't really find any decent reviews on what fan / heatsink / iceberg / vacuum induction tech to put on it.

Does anyone run an Athlon64, and if so, what are you using for cooling?

Much obliged.

Creston

40. Re: Stirring the politcal pot... Sep 28, 2004, 17:23 Warhawk

3D games gives me some weird vertigo right now

Now THAT sucks!

At least you can still watch movies.

Hope you feel better soon.

* Warhawk *

"Uh...Uh, everything's under control. Situation normal."
"What happened?"
"Had a slight weapons malfunction but, uh, everything's perfectly all right now. We're all fine here, how are you?"

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

39. Re: Stirring the politcal pot... Sep 28, 2004, 17:19 Enahs

"I never saw a dame yet that didn't understand a good slap in the mouth or a slug from a .45."
Bogart is damn good. I am about to go watch Treasures of the Sierra Madre on DVD, one of my all time favorite movies and my favorite Bogart movie bar none. I have been watching a lot of movies today and yesterday with this cold. I have not had a real cold since before 2000; I forgot how crappy they are.

The worst part is they always “spread” to ear infections, something I have always been susceptible too, which makes me very dizzy and lose balance easy. 3D games gives me some weird vertigo right now

_____
Enahs
That’s a deep kiss too, like the Europeans. You know the French they have to unhinge their jaw to show love.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

38. Popup showed up... Sep 28, 2004, 16:02 Killian

Little before 4pm, came to the site and noticed Java fire up after leaving the "once a day" ad page.

An ad popped up when I tried to click on the comments for one of the threads up there. Ad agency appeared to be this company: http://www.unicast.com/company/privacy.asp

FYI

37. Re: Stirring the politcal pot... Sep 28, 2004, 15:44 Halsy

Obtaining a college degree doesn't reflect on intelligence, I agree. Hell, look at the Forbes top 10 billionaires, I believe they're all college dropouts - or pretty close.

What college does do, however, is train people to think critically and therein lies the major difference. That isn't to say you can't achieve that on your own, it just streamlines the process.

It's like that great line in Good Will Hunting where he's dressing down the guy that's plagiarizing the economist, trying to pass it off as if it were his own and Will says, "You wasted $150,000 on an education you coulda got for a buck fifty in late charges at the public library." We're all capable of rote memorization. Critically analyzing and applying that knowledge is a whole different ball of wax.

Anyway, I watch Daily for the laughs, not to be informed. I could say the same thing about Fox news - if I actually watched it. The only two guys I ever watch for news are Jim Lehrer and Lou Dobbs.

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

36. Re: Stirring the politcal pot... Sep 28, 2004, 15:16 tron

Comedy Central had no statistics on how many people watch "The Daily Show" stoned.

best quote from the article...

This comment was edited on Sep 28, 15:44.

- tron -
---
"tron is big and tron is full of action... it's a hell of a ride!"
-from the Tron 2.0 box

35. Re: No subject Sep 28, 2004, 15:14 nin

I don't understand why I should pay 16.000 for an way outdated CPU?

I mean seriously? Computer Collectibles?

DUDE! I've got a 5 and a quarter drive I'll sell ya for $75!

http://www.johnwaitethehardway.com/index2.htm

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

34. Re: Instant Mess Sep 28, 2004, 15:14 tron

HERE WE GO! Picture and everything!

thanks, nin!

and i just realized that i'm wearing my "Ministry of Silly Walks" shirt today... what a co-inky-dink!

- tron -
---
"tron is big and tron is full of action... it's a hell of a ride!"
-from the Tron 2.0 box

33. No subject Sep 28, 2004, 15:09 Valtyr

I don't understand why I should pay 16.000 for an way outdated CPU?

I mean seriously? Computer Collectibles?

32. Re: Stirring the politcal pot... Sep 28, 2004, 15:06 Enahs

The completion of 4 years of college

The completion of 4 years of college, but not of the completion of a college degree, hmm. Sounds like the “stoned slackers” he was joking about. heh

_____
Enahs
That’s a deep kiss too, like the Europeans. You know the French they have to unhinge their jaw to show love.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

31. Re: Stirring the politcal pot... Sep 28, 2004, 14:59 Moog Operator

http://www.kwtx.com/news/headlines/1029996.html

Please elect Bush, I want America to get what it deserves for not firing him already...

GG Idiot Kingdom.

Vote for Bush and find out

STAY RIGHT WHERE YOU ARE, GET OUT OF THAT BED AND GET DOWN ON THE FLOOR, GET OUTSIDE RIGHT NOW, RIGHT HERE: GET DOWN ON THE CEMENT, I DONT CARE IF YOU'RE NUDE, GET DOWN ON THE CEMENT, I DON'T CARE IF ITS FREEZING! WHERES THE DRUGS, WE KNOW YOU GOT THE DRU

50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo