Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I'm taking the plunge and installing WinXP service pack 2 on my work machine this afternoon. Gulp... wish me luck!

Play Time: Reverse.
Links of the Day: Eric Staller's Conference Bike.
Stories of the Day: Man in wheelchair robs bank, cops say.
Canada Plans Draft-Dodger Monument.
Fetch! Sit! Watch!
Science!: Stem Cells May Open Some Eyes.
Post-cancer, a birth from restored ovary tissue.
California tightens auto emission regulations.
Follow-ups: Da Vinci Team Delays Launch.
Thanks Mike Martinez.

View
45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

45. Re: No subject Sep 26, 2004, 11:26 Enahs

It's just Lucas making a 'politicaly correct' movie, at least, that's the only justification I see for the change.

Do not take this as %100 fact, but look around and I think you might find it true,

Now a days, if Han shoots first, it would be considered “bad” and more than likely make it a “R” rated movie. Have him shoot second (even 1/10th of a second after the other guy) it is clearly self defense and there for ok, so it can keep the PG rating. Think about what was in movies at that time and there ratings, and what is in them now a days and there ratings.

_____
Enahs
That’s a deep kiss too, like the Europeans. You know the French they have to unhinge their jaw to show love.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

44. Re: No subject Sep 26, 2004, 11:18 rkone

I think that Windows XP (WXP) is a resource hog compared to Windows 2000 (W2K). Basically, I believe that XP will make most systems feel like a sluggish pig compared to W2K.

So a newer version of software runs slower on marginal hardware then older versions did, this shouldn't be too surprising.

Anyway, the money you save by choosing XP Home over Win2k can be used to buy another 512mb stick of ram, totally eliminating the parity problem. On top of that, most home users actually need the extra help XP has in it for setting things up such as wireless networking, etc.
And finally, you should also factor in the support - MS has already stated that IE on Win2k won't be seeing any more updates, it's not that long before the entire OS will move out of the active support phase.

43. Re: Winxp sp2 Sep 26, 2004, 10:48 Tango

No probs with SP2 here.... but that was on a clean (ish) XP installed off the cd with included SP1.

42. Winxp sp2 Sep 26, 2004, 08:27 M!k3*420

I'm on the net everyday so that's why i installed the windows xp sp2 beta but now i cant update it to sp2.... all of that cause i didnt archives the file for that pathc. Do u know a way to remove that patch so i can put the official one. Its not in add/remove programs list and i have tried to delete the key in registery. email me for any suggestions( dont give me the format stuff, be more imaginative ) sry for the typing i'vew been out last night and its freaking earli now and im not with my pc.  
Who ever told you life was fair ?

Life is a gamble play it hard :p

41. Re: No subject Sep 26, 2004, 03:39 CreamyBlood

Yes, I know Han shot first. I've been a sci-fi freek forever but...

This may sound silly, but to me, Han shooting first meant something. It meant that Luke and Ben might be running around with someone who isn't the best person in the world. Someone who was ultimately looking out for their own interests first, and might not be trusted, or counted on in time of need. And that makes his surprise turn around of helping Luke out at the end THAT MUCH more rewarding. He has a change of heart, and though he might not have been the best person in the past, did the right thing this time. And and the movies go along, Han changes from only being concerned for his own well being, to being concerned for his friends well being. That character change is part of what made his character.

I think twenty years later, you don't notice it, Han is still a self serving dickwad for awhile until he see's the light later on. Big deal. It's just Lucas making a 'politicaly correct' movie, at least, that's the only justification I see for the change. Yes, it sucks, but really, let's move on, he's still a dick for several more scenes, right?

As far as Lucas making changes, it is his movie. But it does suck that the films we saw as kids no longer exists (or so Lucas claims)

No, he doesn't claim that, I'm not a Star Wars freak but he just said on cnn that "you can go watch that film if you want to, it still exists", or something like that, I can't find it now, but CNN sucks as a source of anything.

And it's true, when the last VHS version came out, and the latest DVD version came out, I don't remember hearing reports of millions of people screaming about their VHS collections suddenly going up in smoke? Fire department anyone?

But it does suck that the films we saw as kids no longer exists (or so Lucas claims). But here's the kicker, and the turning point for me. Imagine you worked on the first Star Wars movie, doing special effects. Image you even won an Oscar for it (as I believe a few did - 7 according to starwars.com). You're obviously going to be proud of your work, even years later, as technology gets better and the special effects you did look a little on the cheap side by today's standards (not bashing anyone there, far from it, I'm just saying that today's special effects will look laughable by tomorrow's standards - that's the way it works, and always has been).

It also sucks that I'm going to implant your mind with Coca Cola and Rebocks, erase the idea of Santa Clause and make you give me money for Christmas.

Oh fucking well. Erasing a few scenes in Star Wars and replacing them with a few more pathetic scenes, really doesn't bother me. I'm still not getting a complextion about it. I mean, whatever.

So Harrison Ford is REALLY pissed off because they alterted the angle of his body. And ALL the puppet masters and ALL the effects dudes are SUPER pissed off because he added Han Solo 'stepping' on someones toe. I bet Hollywood is in an uproar now.

Geez, didn't they even add TWO different incarnations of a lizard in this sci-fi movie? I bet they're even more super pissed off about that, cleaning up a thirty year old film, and SUDDENLY adding some kind of slithering lizard into it. That's disgusting, and I'll tell my children all about it.

Sort of like re-writing the bible or the history of the American Governt.... nevermind. Yes. It sucks. Fucking starwars creators.

Okay, enough

CreamyBlood

40. Satan Worship Works! Sep 26, 2004, 03:31 Sixis

Wow! Going to bed, still have power (obviously). Did have a tree fall down and smash my satellite dish (is this covered under the warranty?), but this is soooo much better than the last one, at least so far. Thank you Evil One!  

39. Re: No subject Sep 26, 2004, 03:02 CreamyBlood

All the reviews I've seen of Battlefront - professional and amateur - have panned it. I wouldn't waste my money if I were you.

That's fine and dandy, but have you played it?

It still looks cool to me. It could be a dud, I don't know. The only games I've ever really liked are (for online):

Q2
q3a
q3ta
rtcw
bf42

and that's it.

I like RTCW as an intense, personal in you face game. You can get emotionally mad about it, which is cool. Clans and all.

Battlefield is what I call the 'feel good' server. Meaning, you get online and laugh your guts out. No, there's no team playing or organization and the classes don't mean squat, but holy crap, I still get a kick out of watching people plummet from the sky at an extremely rapid pace to their death, super fast, slap right into a building and watch their plane blow up beside them after it comes screetching into the ground.

I really love it. Ha ha ha ha. It makes my night. You can't help but chuckle.

If they can do that with more idiots and Ewoks and what have you, I'll enjoy it. Immensely. But with light sabers and blaster packs. No problems here.

38. Re: No subject Sep 26, 2004, 02:10 nin

I never would have remembered that 'Han shot him first', is that right? Or any of the many other multidudes of errors that he's introduced. I'm sure that there's a million but that's the only two I can think of, and I only noticed the one.

I can see how it pisses off 'purists', as Lucas is re-writing the history of your life! Oh well, it's his galaxy and his vision, he can do what he wants. If you want to see the original, in all it's VHS glory, go watch it. I'm sure you can all find it.

Han did shoot first, until the Special Edition of the late 90s, where Lucas reversed it. Now in the dvd edition, they shoot at almost the same time (but Han still shoots second).

This may sound silly, but to me, Han shooting first meant something. It meant that Luke and Ben might be running around with someone who isn't the best person in the world. Someone who was ultimately looking out for their own interests first, and might not be trusted, or counted on in time of need. And that makes his surprise turn around of helping Luke out at the end THAT MUCH more rewarding. He has a change of heart, and though he might not have been the best person in the past, did the right thing this time. And and the movies go along, Han changes from only being concerned for his own well being, to being concerned for his friends well being. That character change is part of what made his character.

As far as Lucas making changes, it is his movie. But it does suck that the films we saw as kids no longer exists (or so Lucas claims). But here's the kicker, and the turning point for me. Imagine you worked on the first Star Wars movie, doing special effects. Image you even won an Oscar for it (as I believe a few did - 7 according to starwars.com). You're obviously going to be proud of your work, even years later, as technology gets better and the special effects you did look a little on the cheap side by today's standards (not bashing anyone there, far from it, I'm just saying that today's special effects will look laughable by tomorrow's standards - that's the way it works, and always has been).

So you've got that award, and you're well respected in your industry. It's something you can even show your kids. But what happens when George starts making changes and changing the work YOU won an award for? When happens when a shot you spent days, weeks, or even months working on gets changed or even REMOVED in favor of a new digital CGI shot? Can you imagine how much that must suck? To have your hard work just pushed aside or removed? I can't, and I don't think it's fair to the people that worked on those movies. It's an insult...if he wants to tweak his movies until the day he dies, fine. They're his. But he should at least preserve them as they originally were, before he tweaked the hell out of them. Out of respect for the actors, the people that worked on those movies, and the millions of fans that have spent billions on the franchise. If it was good enough to put his name on and be released in 1977, why isn't it good enough now?

But that's my .02...and yeah, everyone seems to agree Battlefront sucks. Don't get suckered in by the hype...

http://www.johnwaitethehardway.com/index2.htm
This comment was edited on Sep 26, 02:11.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

37. Re: No subject Sep 26, 2004, 02:06 tron

No, I got to level 20, nothing special, just says you finished.

actually, it says "congratulations, you have successfully completed the game" - which is *way* more satisfying!

and i finsihed with no cheating or mouse flipping... which was really really frustrating on three of the levels...

- tron -
---
"tron is big and tron is full of action... it's a hell of a ride!"
-from the Tron 2.0 box

36. Re: No subject Sep 26, 2004, 01:41 Halsy

All the reviews I've seen of Battlefront - professional and amateur - have panned it. I wouldn't waste my money if I were you.

"I never saw a dame yet that didn't understand a good slap in the mouth or a slug from a .45."
- Bogart, Play it Again Sam

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

35. Re: No subject Sep 26, 2004, 01:21 CreamyBlood

I'm more of a 'Trekker' than a 'Star Wars Geek' (and believe The Empire would kick the Federations ass) and remember seeing Star Wars for the first time in a theatre in Houston when I was about nine years old.

I've seen it in many reruns and also saw it (episode IV - A New Hope I'm talking about, although to me it was always 'Star Wars') in the 'enhanced' VHS mode, but the only thing that would've stuck out in my mind was him talking to Jabba the Hut or whatever his name is.

Because, that looked pretty okay, but sorta glaring.

I never would have remembered that 'Han shot him first', is that right? Or any of the many other multidudes of errors that he's introduced. I'm sure that there's a million but that's the only two I can think of, and I only noticed the one.

I can see how it pisses off 'purists', as Lucas is re-writing the history of your life! Oh well, it's his galaxy and his vision, he can do what he wants. If you want to see the original, in all it's VHS glory, go watch it. I'm sure you can all find it.

I went and watched episode I with my mom a few years ago, and we thought it sucked. No big deal, it's just a movie.

I'm looking forward to playing Battlefront when I get my new rig. If it makes me laugh half as much as Battlefield with stupid, hilarious action, I'll love it. I'm not being sarcastic.

CreamyBlood

34. Re: No subject Sep 26, 2004, 01:18 CreamyBlood

p[XP with under 512 meg is pointless...I think a gig should be required.]

No shit. Then it almost runs like normal. Maybe.

Don't take my word for it, go partition off a section of your hard drive and see if I'm spewing crap. I don't care, but a lot of people disagree with me (not here) but in life. And they are wrong.

Well, I believe they are wrong. XP sucks.

Comparitively perhaps, I've never compared it on a P4-3.4 with a Gig of ram back to back, at that point, maybe there is no difference. I don't know.

Check it out yourself. Make a partition and tweak it and run it for yourself. The drop off point is probably around 512-1G of RAM and around 1-2.6 GHz. Hard to tell, I haven't really seen any HardOCP tests or anything....

512 still drags...

33. Re: No subject Sep 26, 2004, 00:52 nin

A client just bought a new system, a Celeron 2.8GHz with 256MB RAM

XP with under 512 meg is pointless...I think a gig should be required.

32. Re: No subject Sep 26, 2004, 00:45 CreamyBlood

Let me try to explain this further.

I think that Windows XP (WXP) is a resource hog compared to Windows 2000 (W2K). Basically, I believe that XP will make most systems feel like a sluggish pig compared to W2K.

I run a system with photoshop, frontpage, firefox, thunderbird and a bunch of utilities. It is a P3-800 with 320MB Ram. A client just bought a new system, a Celeron 2.8GHz with 256MB RAM, and the thing runs like a slug compared to my system. If she had a graphics card in it, I could probably run Doom, (Doom will NEVER run on my machine). Not that I don't want it to of course. But for basic file handling, application loading/switching, my system runs faster.

I have to admit, that in this case (it was just yesterday), I hadn't completely tweaked her system, meaning a lot of things, including getting rid of all the Compaq crap, turning fifteen or so services off, cleaning the registry, etc, this was a brand new pre-load.

But to me, loading up web pages, using the 'Start Menu', all of that stuff was grindingly slow. It just irritated me.

This is just one example in the last month. A better one that is more revelent, is this. My buddy has a P4-2.4 w/512MB and the cheapest FX5200 you can find. (In fact the fan on it is barely spinning). We played Doom3 for a bit, but everytime I was there I tried tweaking it. I turned off all services that weren't essential, cleaned up the system, killed all running processes and it still ran like shit (640x480 Low - with NO shadows on.).

He kept bitching at me over a two week period about how I NEVER PLAYED the game, but just kept tweaking it. Do you know why? Because, I knew I should be getting better frame rates. I've been a gamer forever and I knew it was a shit card, but after reading reviews, knew it was capable of better but the FPS's were constantly dropping to 7 or 2 and crap like that, averaging 20, sometimes 30 at best. I was pissed.

So I said fuck it, give me the old hard drive out of your old machine, and let me install W2K and do this proper. So I spent a day, installed W2K, patched it up, tweaked it, etc, then installed D3 and guess what? We now run it at 640x480 on MEDIUM quality with shadows (I think disabling shadows defeats the purpose).

We average 25-35 now, sometimes dropping to 12 or whatever sometimes at 60, but he was amazed, and I'm not pissed off anymore.

What's the moral of the story? When we boot to the XP partition, they can go do their everyday shit and live with it. They can even run Doom like crap if they want and get aggravated. When I come over we boot to W2K and get drunk and enjoy the game.

I know it's not a scientific test, but I think W2K kills XP.

CreamyBlood

31. Re: No subject Sep 26, 2004, 00:24 nin

Alright, just finished watching the Episode IV dvd...(Geek mode ON! )

1. The whole "Han shoots first" issue has been beat to death, but the way Solo's body suddenly jerks to the left (at some inhuman speed) as he shoots still looks like crap.

2. Han stepping on Jabba's tail also still looks like crap. In fact, he actually blurs a bit as he does it (check it out on frame by frame). And then he says "Jabba, you're a wonderful human being", alluding to the fact that an actor originally played the part in that scene (Why didn't Lucas change/redub THAT line?).

3. The sound issue during the Peter Cushing section of "Then name another system!" is noticeable. Almost like it was pieced together from 2 different audio tracks. One being a little too clean, and sounding like Carrie Fisher is speaking DIRECTLY into a mic in front of her (maybe if they lowered the volume on it to match the rest of the scene). Also, this is the only scene where Leah/Fisher cops a British accent. Perhaps it was early in filming? (I'm sure Lucas will claim she's trying to mock Tarkin, or some BS like that.)

4. The reduced score during the Battle of Yavin is definitely noticeable (and a slap in the face to John Williams). It doesn't really return to it's original volume until Luke does his final attack run, and then it cuts in and out, based on dialogue. Really takes some of the tension out of that section. Hopefully Lucas will reverse that change in 2007 (on the 30th anniversary edition release, when he fucks more stuff up).

5. The "reversed score on the rear channels" issue I didn't even notice. Guess that's a good thing. I still think it's an error, and Lucas will eventually fix it (though again, maybe not until 2007). If it was intentional, why didn't he do it for ALL the movies (not that I want him to)?

6. It STILL sounds like Luke says "Carrie!" instead of "Leah!" when he hops out of the X-Wing, after the explosion of the Death Star. But that issue's been beaten to death already (and I kinda like it the way that it is).

All in all, it's still quite good, the picture quality in particular looks amazing. Not perfect, but close enough, I think.

On a different movie note: Saw Shawn of the Dead earlier today and highly recommend it. Really fun, British humor...

30. Re: No subject Sep 25, 2004, 23:34 CreamyBlood

Windows XP *IS* just a bloated service pack ontop of W2K, any developer knows that. Installing SP2 on XP hasn't caused any issues for any of my clients, other than the fact that it _still_ makes a 2.0 Ghz machine run like a P3-800 with W2000.

I think it's a pig, no matter how you optimize it, or what you patch it with. The full XP SP2 is 244MB. What's that? A new bloated OS. Just my opinion.

29. Re: No subject Sep 25, 2004, 21:57 Ray Marden

Other than the Myst IV depth blur option making everything gray, even than I only experienced on the "beta" SP2 and I have not tested it on the "official" SP2 I now have installed, I have not had any issues.
Secret text is fun!
Likely going to see SotD tonight,
Ray

-----
I am playing Neverwinter Nights. Where the %@$# is my henchman?!?
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

28. No subject Sep 25, 2004, 18:59 Hump

finished it. actually level 19 is what I had most trouble with. a simplistic static maze.

*flips mouse back right-side up*

----------------------------------------------------------------------
What Would Fred Do?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

27. Re: Play Time Sep 25, 2004, 18:56 Chipper

Yup, was easy for me too, just felt natural doing it :).  
Gather 'round children and i'll tell you a tale,
Of chipper the ripper the chipmunk from hell

26. Re: Play Time Sep 25, 2004, 18:42 ZzeusS

Some of my security apps said SP2 not supported, so uninstalled it went. Annoying that it takes you back to a Retail install. You have to go back and hit SP1 and all the incrementals. But it didn't hose me, just took some time.

45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo