Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Half-Life 2 Deee-luxe?

Half-Life 2 Collector's Edition Revealed? on IGN is a speculative article based on listings for a Half-Life 2 Special Edition on Gamestop.com and a Half-Life 2 Collector's Edition on EBgames.com, each listing similar contents: a DVD version of Valve's shooter sequel, Counter-Strike: Source, Half-Life: Source, a limited edition t-shirt, and a book on the game. Each listing carries a price of $79.99.

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

39. Re: Multiplayer HL2 Sep 24, 2004, 16:18 WebDemon

"If you guys weren't so dumb, I wouldn't have to explain these very elementary things to you. Now get your asses in your rooms and do your homework & learn something instead of playing games all the fucking time you cretins."

Relax, you don't have to be an asshole every day of your life little man.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: Multiplayer HL2 Sep 24, 2004, 16:15 Loopy

Did they actually refresh the art assets for HL:Source? I would love to play it again if it's been reworked some.

Unfortunately they're not going to be redoing some or most (possibly all) of the art assets. I don't remember the official details about that part so I could be wrong. The main differences between the original and HL:Source that will be noticable are some of the effects the new engine brings to the table. New water effects, physics, lighting, and things like that.

http://www.hl2fallout.com/screenshots/albums/album01/HL1Source_Ithy.jpg

Hopefully there will be a fan project which does spruce up everything. You'd think Valve would take this opportunity to bring HL up to current graphic standards... But then again they've got plenty to do right now.

37. Re: Multiplayer HL2 Sep 24, 2004, 16:10 Zephalephelah

And Doom3 requires P2P with a maximum of 4 players even though QUake4 based on the Doom3 engine will run like Quake3?????

Why do you think that is?

How about because the Doom3 game is optimized for single-player just like Half-life2 is optimized for single-player.

If you guys weren't so dumb, I wouldn't have to explain these very elementary things to you. Now get your asses in your rooms and do your homework & learn something instead of playing games all the fucking time you cretins.

36. Re: Multiplayer HL2 Sep 24, 2004, 16:00 WebDemon

""Not to mention the size of some of these maps! Have you seen the videos at all? Do you have any comprehension about how immense these levels are and how large the buildings are? Anybody?"

Yeah you're right... oh wait there was that game called Tribes. Guess you're an idiot."

Ignore him. Read his posts, he likes to talk shit and little else. Probably because he's full of it. Anybody who uses "fucktard" as a regular part of their vocabulary isn't worth the effort. Another 14year old "expert" me thinks.

35. Re: Multiplayer HL2 Sep 24, 2004, 13:06 sinner's saint

"Not to mention the size of some of these maps! Have you seen the videos at all? Do you have any comprehension about how immense these levels are and how large the buildings are? Anybody?"

Yeah you're right... oh wait there was that game called Tribes. Guess you're an idiot.

34. Re: Multiplayer HL2 Sep 24, 2004, 13:03 MindTrigger

Did they actually refresh the art assets for HL:Source? I would love to play it again if it's been reworked some.

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

33. Re: Multiplayer HL2 Sep 24, 2004, 11:22 Yakuza

Until they find a way to make a breaking board react like a gun left on the ground to the client, so that it doesn't eat up packets like an actual player model moving around, there's no way that HL2 is going to be multiplayer.

See, the problem with your argument is that even in the ripped/stolen/raped/leaked/whatever the fuck you want to call it build of HL2, multiplayer was present. And you know what? It was functional. Oh sure, the player models where nothing but spread eagle stone statues in a boring gray tone of Freeman, but the multiplay was there. Over internet it was choppy, over LAN it was smooth.

I guess that just about proves you wrong, doesn't it? Why would they have a functioning netcode in an alpha of the game, and not now? The answer : they wouldn't.

You're done, bye bye.

32. Re: Multiplayer HL2 Sep 24, 2004, 10:32 garry

Well yeah - of course if something is huge - and can be climbed on - it will be accounted by the server.

I don't think this will be a problem though. CS:Source has about 20 barrels lying around the place that are server side - and there's a few other things that are server side too - a tire and about 5 crates.

I don't know what doom3 were playing at with their netcode (2 barrels takes the same netcode as 28 players?) - but Half-Life seems to do it right.

In CS:Source there are lots of objects that aren't kept track of server side - simple things like milk cartons and glass bottles that doesn't interfier with the players movement/view.

Also bear in mind that there are quite a few 64 player CS:Source servers with no lag at all.

31. one more reason Sep 24, 2004, 10:25 StaTik

Yet another reason I will not be buying this game. I sugest Valve ask Microsoft about markiting a pro/non-pro game (fs2000). They don't seem to be marketing there flightsim that way anymore because it pissed to meny people off and at 80bux a pop it don't discurage piracy at all either.

30. Re: DVD? Sep 24, 2004, 10:15 Yakumo

why do you guys have issues with the term 'digital remaster' it doesn't mean the orriginal had to be anythign other than digital, all it has ever meant is that something has been re-mastered using digital tools/techniques.

and if the standard edition is NOT dvd gets confirmed, and the special definately exists and IS dvd (unlike the doom3 fiasco) i'll be cancelling my current pre-order...

29. Re: DVD? Sep 24, 2004, 09:01 ZzeusS

This is just simple fishing for a higher box price point.

28. Re: Multiplayer HL2 Sep 24, 2004, 08:45 Kevlar

Garry, while that's true for the most part (and I liked HLDM too) the problem is most physics-based objects we've seen in HL2 are sort of, um, large. If a barrel has the capability of blowing across a CS:S map (excuse me, THE CS:S map) and landing on me, killing me, that has to be accounted for by server and client. Only if the presence/placement of the object makes no difference could they keep it from having to be tracked, and the only things I can think of like that would be the broken wood, small boxes and stuff.

27. Re: Multiplayer HL2 Sep 24, 2004, 08:16 garry

Here's a couple of points for you.

Half-Life deathmatch was VERY fun for people before all the mod's came out - this is what we were all playing.

Half-Life deathmatch's FPS are totally dependant on the machine you play it on. You'll probably find that it performs better than counter-strike now.

The server doesn't render the screen. Do you really think that the server has to render the screen?

Not all physical objects have to be server side and in sync.

The fact that half-life 2 has big levels and pyshical objects doesn't mean you need more than a normal dsl connection to play.

26. Re: Multiplayer HL2 Sep 24, 2004, 07:13 Loopy

This assumes the multiplayer levels would be designed with purposefully generating lots of lag in mind. I doubt they'd deliberately generate such an obviously grevious development flaw. If they did do HL2 multiplayer, it seems more likely they'd design the levels with the bandwidth demands in mind.

Or they could all get serious head injuries the night before and do what you said. They should release more info in the coming weeks, so maybe we'll all get to see exactly what they have planned.

25. Re: Not sure I want to buy it at all any Sep 24, 2004, 07:05 Loopy

I don't believe CS:S has been confirmed as what HL2 multiplayer might be. CS:S is certainly one candidate, but I wouldn't rule out HL2 having its own multiplayer component yet. Anyone who says CS:S is officially the only multiplay HL2 is shipping with needs to post sources or, more likely, get some fresh air.

24. Re: Multiplayer HL2 Sep 24, 2004, 07:05 Zephalephelah

Okay, let's think about this for a moment. HL1 was fun in multiplayer?

Hmmm... maybe you guys need your heads checked. That shit sucked my sister's skanky asshole. Frame-rates went to hell on that piece of shit.

Next, think of the levels in Half-life2. Are you completely insane or simply moronic? So you think that servers could handle this type of rendering and environment control or that clients could even begin to keep up with people tossing barrels and mattresses around, blowing through wooden skids and all the things that half-life2 will allow? Do you truly think for a moment that this kind of interactivity and extreme amounts of mathematical outcomes is going to be accessible in multiplayer over cable/dsl? Maybe if we all had fiber-optics and OC-3 or OC-48 broadband capabilites.

Not to mention the size of some of these maps! Have you seen the videos at all? Do you have any comprehension about how immense these levels are and how large the buildings are? Anybody?

Counter-Strike on the other hand is simply CS with some better graphics. I'm sure that someone will use the engine to be able to taunt players by smiling or some-such shit, but beyond that, every breakable board, extra moveable item such as a barrel or a playground seesaw, is just going to be one more thing that the server and clients have to establish as an entity and will slow down framerates to slowass gameplay experiences.

Until they find a way to make a breaking board react like a gun left on the ground to the client, so that it doesn't eat up packets like an actual player model moving around, there's no way that HL2 is going to be multiplayer.

Use your fucking heads.

23. Re: Not sure I want to buy it at all anymore Sep 24, 2004, 06:07 Yakuza

Wait, wait, COUNTER-STRIKE will be the only shipped multiplayer mode of HL2? Mother fucking CS? I cna't believe that. That lowers the value of the game for me by $30 at least. I need some evidence to accept that. Link, please?

Also, the $80 price tag is fucking robbery, but what the hell can you expect from those Vivendi Universal bastards? Pulling this kind of crap is not unexpected from VU. I swear, the company is single-handedly destroying the game industry.

22. Not sure I want to buy it at all anymore Sep 24, 2004, 05:13 Mega Fantasy Sci-Fi PostApocalyptic MMORTRPFPS 9000

Once I learned CS:Source would be the only multiplayer for HL2, I lost almost all interest in the game. Aside from that, I'll be really surprised if HL2's single player is better than slightly above average.

Ah hell, I'll end up buying it just for the possible mods that could be released...but I won't be happy about it.

21. No subject Sep 24, 2004, 05:08 WebDemon

Isn't a little impossible to digitally re-master something that's already digital or are they talking about the analog version of half life on cassette for the Vic 20?

20. Re: DVD? Sep 24, 2004, 03:42 Jubal Harshaw

so, you basicially pay double ... okayyyy guess they have to make some money somehow but not from me... think Ill pass on this one.

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo