Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Inspired by links found in the recent announcement of a 64-bit version of Shadow Ops, I decided to experiment yesterday with installing the 64-bit evaluation version of Windows XP on my AMD 64-based PC to check it out. I guess I am already spoiled with how smoothly most of my XP experiences have gone prior to this, as I was shocked by the rough ride I encountered. I was actually able to easily find the 64-bit versions of my RAID drivers to start with, but it all went downhill from there (or uphill, it's hard to keep track of what's supposed to be bad in that expression). My willingness to continue to suffer though any of this ended when I tried installing DOOM 3 and was met with an error message saying that the game must run under Windows 2000 or Windows XP. At this point I realized I didn't have as much patience for the joys of early adoption to put up with this as I imagined I did... if my games don't think the 64-bit beta is WinXP, then it might as well not be. Of course, on reinstalling the 32-bit version, I had to call someone to get the activation feature to activate a second time (man is that ever a kludgey system), so if I was looking for an adventure, I got one. I'm sure glad it's over.

R.I.P.: Pioneer Adult Filmmaker Russ Meyer Dies. Thanks Devicer.

Link of the Day: Craziest.
Stories of the Day: Interstate Bakeries files for bankruptcy. Twinkies in jeopardy.
Soviet Scientists Planned “Invulnerable” Military HQ on the Moon.
William Shatner auditioning Iowans for low-budget sci-fi movie.
Science!: Refreshing Drinks of Fresh Air.
Personality predicts politics.
Auctions of the Day: Jean Pierre Le'pine pen from Ex-Wife. Thanks Joe Sabatini.
Thanks Mike Martinez.

View
77 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

77. Re: Cat Stevens Sep 25, 2004, 16:40 shul

there might potentially be hidden references to drug use in the Simpsons.

It's "Do'h" , not "Dope" !!!

This comment was edited on Sep 25, 16:41.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

76. Re: Interstate Bakeries files for bankru Sep 24, 2004, 09:07 nin

LOL Warpig! Nice find!

Agreed! See? I'm not the only one who thinks of this shit...

http://www.johnwaitethehardway.com/index2.htm

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

75. Re: Cat Stevens Sep 24, 2004, 00:57 unaloony

If Cat Stevens is a potential terrorist, then rock and roll is potentially satan's tool, President Bush might potentially show some intelligence, elections could potentially cause the government to increase [or prevent collapse of] domestic social services, foriegn marital rule of iraq might potentially raise the human dignity of iraqis, and there might potentially be hidden references to drug use in the Simpsons.

----
CURRENTLY READING "A PRAYER FOR OWEN MEANY" BY JOHN IRVING.

74. Re: Interstate Bakeries files for bankru Sep 23, 2004, 21:54 Halsy

LOL Warpig! Nice find!

Hey you kids! Get out of that jello tree!

"I never saw a dame yet that didn't understand a good slap in the mouth or a slug from a .45."
- Bogart, Play it Again Sam

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

73. Re: Interstate Bakeries files for bankru Sep 23, 2004, 20:56 WarPig

Swimming in Jello? Dr. Lou says:

http://www.physicscentral.com/lou/lou-03-02.html

-------------------------------------------------------
What the hell, it's 5:00 somewhere.

GO SEAHAWKS!

72. Re: Interstate Bakeries files for bankru Sep 23, 2004, 20:35 nin

I think some rich person should fill a big, glass sided pool full of jello, then explore it using SCUBA gear.

THAT'S what I'm talking about!

http://www.johnwaitethehardway.com/index2.htm

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

71. DDO Online Live! Sep 23, 2004, 20:21 Halsy

I submitted this to Blue, but it probably won't go up untill later on or tomorrow so I thought'd I'd give you guys a heads up now - if you care.

http://www.ddo.com

I'm so stoked on this game!

"I never saw a dame yet that didn't understand a good slap in the mouth or a slug from a .45."

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

70. Re: No subject Sep 23, 2004, 20:19 Halsy

I agree. Isn't there a Constitutional/legislative issue with that, though? I thought there was some reason they were created as separate agencies to begin with....

Not really. The only thing is that an intelligence agency must be subject to congressional oversight - watching the watchers so to speak.

You could theoretically scrap all the intelligence groups (http://fas.org/irp/official.html) and form 1 super group, but that would never happen, too many toes being stepped on. People are loathe to relinquish the power given them once they have it. Besides given the size and scope of it all, it would probably be a huge bureaucratic nightmare. We're talking about a 30 billion dollar per year intelligence apparatus with 1000's of employees.

Reorganizing the various agencies and their mandates would be far more useful. For example, there's absolutely no need to the FBI to be handling domestic counter-terrorism. That should fall exclusively into the domain of the NSA. There's too much overlap and waste in that regard.

This comment was edited on Sep 23, 20:20.

- Stephen Colbert

69. Re: No subject Sep 23, 2004, 19:39 Bunko

"Uh...Uh, everything's under control. Situation normal."
"What happened?"
"Had a slight weapons malfunction but, uh, everything's perfectly all right now. We're all fine here, how are you?"
Harrison Ford purpsolely didn't learn his lines for this exchange so it would seem improvisational. Method acting at it's finest

We bury our sins here, Dave. We wash them clean.

Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

68. Re: No subject Sep 23, 2004, 19:38 Warhawk

thats legit, they were worried that someone would strike a match and his breath would ignite the interior of the plane.

Or that he'd drive the plane off a bridge and kill the passengers.

* Warhawk *

"What happened?"
"Had a slight weapons malfunction but, uh, everything's perfectly all right now. We're all fine here, how are you?"

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

67. Re: No subject Sep 23, 2004, 19:26 Hump

Nevermind Cat Stevens, you guys here about when Ted Kennedy wound up on that list a few months back? Hehe, Ted Kennedy: International Terrorist.

thats legit, they were worried that someone would strike a match and his breath would ignite the interior of the plane.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
What Would Fred Do?

"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

66. Re: No subject Sep 23, 2004, 18:53 Warhawk

Personally I think they obliterate the CIA, NSA and FBI and form a unified agency to manage everything. You could use a lot of the same people but I think they need major reorganization. Not only would it eliminate the communication problems but it would help to get a new start. The CIA especially has done some real nasty shit over the years and a new organization might do them some good.

I agree. Isn't there a Constitutional/legislative issue with that, though? I thought there was some reason they were created as separate agencies to begin with....

* Warhawk *

"What happened?"

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

65. Re: No subject Sep 23, 2004, 18:42 Bunko

Nevermind Cat Stevens, you guys here about when Ted Kennedy wound up on that list a few months back? Hehe, Ted Kennedy: International Terrorist.
I'm also suggesting that not every single government official, especially the CIA, is a Zombie in Bush's army of the walking stupid.
Personally I think they obliterate the CIA, NSA and FBI and form a unified agency to manage everything. You could use a lot of the same people but I think they need major reorganization. Not only would it eliminate the communication problems but it would help to get a new start. The CIA especially has done some real nasty shit over the years and a new organization might do them some good.

We bury our sins here, Dave. We wash them clean.

Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

64. No subject Sep 23, 2004, 18:37 space captain

"He stopped short? THATS MY MOVE!!"

This comment was edited on Sep 23, 18:37.

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

63. Re: No subject Sep 23, 2004, 18:08 Halsy

Serenity now, Halsy. Serenity now.

Heh, that had to be one of the funniest Seinfelds ever. Frank Costanza is definitely my fave character on that show.
Two best lines of his.

"Hoochie Mama!"

"You want a piece of me?"

- Stephen Colbert

62. Re: Interstate Bakeries files for bankru Sep 23, 2004, 17:58 complicity

we have a Wonderbread plant a few miles from where I live
Is it growing wild or has it been cultivated? How much water does it need to survive?

A message of hope to those who choose to hear it,
and a warning to those who do not.

61. Re: No subject Sep 23, 2004, 17:46 Quaternion

Serenity now, Halsy. Serenity now.

60. Battlefront Sep 23, 2004, 17:45 Hump

BTW, I will be forever grateful if someone can come up with a way to bypass these goddamned splash screens in Battlefront. By the time I join the game via GSA the game has filled up (the in-game browser is buggy beyond belief)

What Would Fred Do?

"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

59. Re: No subject Sep 23, 2004, 17:37 Hump

Warhawk....thank you. Thats exactly the point I was driving at.

Halsy, yeah I know, Cat Stevens ...but people change. I'm a card carrying Atheist so its not much of stretch to see what religion does to average people never mind celebrities. I doubt he'll be strapping on a bag of nails and broken glass over twenty pounds of TNT anytime soon but I am suggesting that none of us can know for sure. I'm also suggesting that not every single government official, especially the CIA, is a Zombie in Bush's army of the walking stupid. Its possible that they are just doing their jobs and erring on the side of saftey. They're people, not all being redneck right leaning Christian bible thumping lunatics.

Theres a LOT of stereotyping and generalizing on both sides of the war issue and its becoming somewhat scary to realize theres very little rational thinking going on anymore (witness Dan Rather's little escapade last week)

What Would Fred Do?

This comment was edited on Sep 23, 17:39.

- Jim Goad

58. Re: Blue's Athlon 64... Sep 23, 2004, 17:29 Ant

Bronco: Thanks. Do you know if the CPU usage is low with EAX enabled? I didn't see that information anywhere. Basically, does Turtle use hardware EAX?

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

77 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo