Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy: The Sims 2

EA Ships The Sims 2 has the announcement of the return of the little people:

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sept. 17, 2004--The wait for millions of Sims fans is over. Electronic Arts (Nasdaq:ERTS - News) today announced that The Sims(TM) 2, has shipped to retailers under the EA GAMES(TM) brand and is now available on store shelves. The award-winning The Sims 2, developed by EA's Maxis(TM) studio, is the sequel to the #1 PC game of all time. The Sims game and its expansion packs have sold over 36 million units worldwide.

"We are excited to have reached this milestone and thrilled to turn over this revolutionary game to our community and fans and let them take playing PC games to a whole new level," said Lucy Bradshaw, Executive Producer of the game at EA's Maxis studio. "For the first time, players will see emotions, live through life's most memorable moments and unleash their inner film-making capabilities, all in one game."

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

35. Re: No subject Sep 18, 2004, 19:12 Tango

the point of a COMPETITION is to win, by proxy or otherwise... but Id say that GAMES have a much more multidimensional definition....
I'd agree, although it's hard to think of games that are unwinnable but fun - MS Flight Sim et al are simulators, which I would agree are distinct from games (although, of course, fun can be had with either).
That game in the playground where you jump into two squares then into one (hopskotch?) and Consequences are the only two that spring to my mind.

As for the Sims, I can't say I ever played it so I really don't have a (useful) opinion

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. The Sims Defined Sep 18, 2004, 01:49 UttiniDaKilrJawa

The Sims.
An in depth interactive cyber representational life simulator.

For those too afraid to live their own .

33. Re: Your Sim dog wants Sim steak. Sep 18, 2004, 01:34 John

...until it seems like even the Amish are playing it. Resistance is futile. You will all be as-SIM-ilated.

That won't happen to me. You couldn't pay me to play it. Well, I take that back. I suppose you could if the price was right. I'd rather play something like WoW or EVE.

This space is available for rent

32. Your Sim dog wants Sim steak. Sep 18, 2004, 00:00 Camaro76

I, for one, do not welcome our new Sim-ulated overlords.

You all know damn well this game will replace the first one at the top of the PC gaming sales charts every month (along with its multiple expansions) until it seems like even the Amish are playing it. Resistance is futile. You will all be as-SIM-ilated.

/been reading too much Fark lately.

---------------------------------------------
[No pixels were harmed in the making of this post.]
Vote Toothpick Spreader Party in 2004!

--------
BOOBIES Filter Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/BOOBIES_filter.user.js
Punk Buster (Ignore Trolls) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js

31. Re: Lesson learned Sep 17, 2004, 23:54 John

Theres nothing to do in this game....nothing.

Nah, there's lots to do. You can go to the store, buy things, rent an apartment, take a piss, watch tv, make out, throw parties, etc.. hah

What did you expect? *remembering Seinfeld episode* It's a game about nothing. What did you do today? *insert answer here* Well, that's the game!

This comment was edited on Sep 17, 23:56.

This space is available for rent

30. Re: reviews Sep 17, 2004, 17:39 Zadillo

That's probably true, although I think some of the reviews have done a pretty good job of explaining what can make this game so enjoyable.... I think I'd point to the gamespy review in particular (which also had a separate in-depth review tacked on to it), which did a lot to convince me that this can be a lot of fun, and gave me an idea of what really spending a lot of time with the game is like.

29. Re: reviews Sep 17, 2004, 16:20 Quboid

I think the people who like it just have nothing to say, like myself. Although I hated TS1, I'm quite enjoying TS2 so far but I've no great urge to tell the world about it (and I guess those that love it so much that they do want to tell the world are too busy playing it to post).

Plus, many of the reviewers are probably in EA's pocket.

Quboid

- Quboid

28. reviews Sep 17, 2004, 15:35 Steele Johnson

It's interesting to see people who have bought the game say that it really really sucks. Like "there's nothing to do", or "I don't get it", or "it's as boring as playing with dolls". But if you go to every game site that has reviewed this game, you either see 5 out of 5 stars or above 90 scores. Now that's what I don't get.

27. Re: Wife control Sep 17, 2004, 15:14 jeremiah

We enjoy games because life is pointless. It's also something nobody - and I mean nobody - wins. Games provide us with some control in a universe of which we have virtually no control.

Halsey... why'd ya have to go and open the can of worms? if life is pointless, then you need to ask yourself why you go on living? what ever answer you give to that question... that is your point in life, and hence life is no longer pointless

26. No subject Sep 17, 2004, 15:12 space captain

yes, the point of many games is to win - but having fun is usually the reason people play video games... and therefore if they can have fun playing a game that you cant win, then the objective is accomplished

however there are many games where the point has NOTHING to do with winning or losing, and in fact where neither are even possible... in fact many romantic "relationships" are simply games, and there are plenty more games where that came from

the point of a COMPETITION is to win, by proxy or otherwise... but Id say that GAMES have a much more multidimensional definition....

get your concepts straight

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

25. Re: Wife control Sep 17, 2004, 14:51 Halsy

I had a discussion with the author arguing that that's what essentially all games are, they are ultimately pointless, with their one and only purpose being to give fun to their players.

Not so, the point of most games is to win, not to play them. Obviously they should bring you enjoyment. Winning just further enhances that enjoyment - generally considerably more than just playing it. We enjoy games because life is pointless. It's also something nobody - and I mean nobody - wins. Games provide us with some control in a universe of which we have virtually no control.

You could call the Sims a game, but I call it a simulation (well, duh) and there's a very distinctive difference between the two.

"We only came to kick some ass. Rock the fuckin' house and kick some ass."
- Tenacious D

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

24. Re: ... Sep 17, 2004, 14:42 Moonbender

The idea is that you create the story.
Yeah, that's exactly what I said, or at least meant to say. But that kind of gameplay just isn't for everyone. And there's really no need to start getting personal about that, as nightfend apparently felt the need to...

Edit: If that was meant to be humorous, I apologise, I never quite know how to interpret the rolly-eyed smiley.

This comment was edited on Sep 17, 14:43.

23. Re: Lesson learned Sep 17, 2004, 14:32 nightfend

It's a simulation game. Simulation games don't really have story lines. It's like expecting Microsoft Flight Simulator or even Railroad Tycoon to have some in-depth storyline with cut-scenes and anime robots.

Sorry, but not every game created has to entertain the 14-year old attention deficit disorder crowd.

22. Re: ... Sep 17, 2004, 14:31 jeremiah

exactly nin it's kind of like a big sandbox. its more of a toy than a game: there is no way to win.

21. Re: ... Sep 17, 2004, 14:14 nin

Best to wait for an all-in-one budget pack if anything, says I.

Well, seeing as they haven't done that with the first Sims yet (not an all-in-one), you'll be waiting awhile.

What the game lacks, as was pointed out quite rightly before, is a story. And if you can't create your own motivations for playing the game, you won't have a lot of fun playing it, you'll just think "why bother".

The idea is that you create the story. And it'll only be as interesting as you make it. So for people that say it's boring, it's your own fault!

Don't try this at home. Don't try this when you're alone. Don't try this at home. You're gonna hurt yourself. http://www.laptopic.com

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

20. Re: Wife control Sep 17, 2004, 14:05 Moonbender

Theres nothing to do in this game....nothing.
I can understand people not liking the gameplay, in fact after playing it for a couple of days, I'm pretty fed up with it myself, but that is just factually wrong. The opposite is true, there's an <i>enormous</i> amount of things to do, most of them available right from the start of the game.
What the game lacks, as was pointed out quite rightly before, is a story. And if you can't create your own motivations for playing the game, you won't have a lot of fun playing it, you'll just think "why bother".
For instance, when I play it, my prime motivation is to reach the top of a career and raise most or all of my skills to the maximum level. That's not trivially easy, especially if you get a family along with it.
You set your own goals, and in all honesty I don't see how the game would work with a real story tacked on to it. The aspiration wants and fears give a certain level of short-time goals, which was a nice addition giving some structure to the otherwise extremely freeform gameplay.

But saying there is nothing to do is akin to saying there is nothing to do in Sim City, because all you accomplish when building a large city is just that, build a large city. It's another game where you create your own goals.

Eurogamer had an interesting editorial some years ago, "Ultimately Pointless" bemoaning a lack of meaningfullness in MMORPGs. I had a discussion with the author arguing that that's what essentially all games are, they are ultimately pointless, with their one and only purpose being to give fun to their players. Whether or not a game's gameplay is fun or not is highly subjective, this applies to the "grind" of MMORPGs as it does to the open, "goalless" gameplay of The Sims as opposed to an extremely goal-oriented gameplay of, say an RTS.

19. Wife control Sep 17, 2004, 13:41 Valcor

If you have a wife/fiance/significant other that hassles you about your time spent on the cpu, I think Sims 2 may be the cocktail for you. Before they know it, they too are guilty of the same thing they get on your case about. It has inducted my wife into computer dorkdom and for that I owe it a thanks.

18. Re: ... Sep 17, 2004, 13:39 aldo_14

where FPS games may be considered murder simulators, the SIMS franchise is an elaborate torture simulator. and it's frickin awesome at that. extreme amounts of depth here folks.

torture for the sims or the player?

I would possibly consider buying (if i could try a demo first, most likely), were it not for the fact that there will be the inevitable avalanche of expansion packs.... what's the point of buying a game when you know it's effectively incomplete? (because obviously there will be stuff reserved for the expansion packs).

Best to wait for an all-in-one budget pack if anything, says I.

17. Frustrating Sep 17, 2004, 13:35 dubfanatic

I played The Sims 1 for about a week and got completely frustrated. The major problem I had with it was, the animations were not realistically timed with the game clock. It would take an hour of game clock time for someone just to crawl out of bed, another 45 minutes to take a shower, another hour to make breakfast and 30 minutes to eat it. You'd have to wake up at 4am to get everything done in time for your 8am job.

16. Lesson learned Sep 17, 2004, 13:14 Hump

I bought this thing on my way home from work yesterday. Don't ask me why.

Theres nothing to do in this game....nothing. Its like an RTS with no payoff of victory. I don't get it. This mustve been the same feeling I got from the original because I think I played that for all of 3 hours then uninstalled it.

$50 could've been 3 nice cuts of prime-rib on the grill for my kid, my brother and myself. meh.

EB in-store credit here I come.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
What Would Fred Do?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo