Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Today, of course, is the anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. It's hard to believe it was three years ago already...

Play Time: Catch NASA's Solar Capsule.
Link of the Day: Old school cool.
Stories of the Day: Climate experts: El Nino developing in Pacific.
Astronauts try, fail to fix oxygen gear.
Outraged sedan owner gets asses to drag BMW. Thanks Tim.
Science!: 'Dream centre' of the brain found.
Cracking Under the Pressure? It's Just the Opposite, for Some (registration required).
Image of the Day: Endurance Crater. Thanks Jim.
Auction of the Day: My Vote in the 2004 Presidential Election (Oregon).
Follow-ups: Genesis data 'retrieved intact'.
Paris's new slant on underground movies. Thanks Devicer.
Thanks Mike Martinez

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Auction Sep 12, 2004, 14:46 kanniballl

nd finally, why isn't the US invading North Korea (again) - it's BECAUSE they're detonating nuclear weapons. They also have one of, if not THE largest standing armies in the world. And first thing they'll do if the US invades is rain destruction down on their neighbours. They've already admitted to a nuclear bomb programme and basically told the weapons inspectors to fuck off and leave them alone OR ELSE. So off they fucked and that was that. Meanwhile a backward little country with a load of oil gets "liberated". Nice.

Another reason is, unlike Iraq, North Korea's military is STACKED. Their army is a big part of the government, and their army is friggin huge. Meanwhile, they do make and trade weapons.

North Korea would be a major battle, one we may not win without the use of Nukes (which I doubt the US would ever use again unless someone else fired one first).

Bush & Co is not stupid; well, not monumentally so. They're not going to start a war unless:

- it's one they think they can win (and relatively easily)
- they have no choice
- there's a big payoff at the end of the tunnel

Now, if NK actually DOES have "the bomb," that's one more reason for us to not go there.

Most of the super powers today that have nukes know enough that they shouldn't use them. They're just a deterrent. Russia is never going to launch, nor is anyone else (unless someone else launches first or somehow a splinter military faction takes over).

New countries with nukes do not have the experience of being scared shitless by the cold war. To prove their mite, they could decide to blow something up just to make the statement "don't f*ck with us!"

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurmama
This comment was edited on Sep 12, 14:53.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Auction Sep 12, 2004, 14:09 Warhawk

Personally, I'm not a big fan of straigh-zombie-movies or straight-horror-movies; that is, movies that are true to the theme. I didn't like and of the "dawn/night/etc of the Dead" movies, and I didn't like "The Ring." But throw in some mindless action and I'll probably rent it.

RE 2 focused less on the hordes of zombies and simply showed pure action; running around and kicking butt.

I might have to check it out, then, as a rental. Like you, I prefer action to horror (Aliens much better than Alien, for example). Thanks.

* Warhawk *

The new Quake-43 game blows my mind. It is even better than Super Turbo Turkey Puncher.
Doom 3

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

24. Re: Laptop Sep 12, 2004, 13:42 Thunderbutt

Great band! End Credits has kicked my ass from way back. Looking forward to the new album!

23. Re: Auction Sep 12, 2004, 13:34 kanniballl

Seriously though, even if you like zombie movies you're probably wasting your time and money going to see RE.

I liked RE 2 a lot more than the original.

I went into the theater to see a pointless action movie, and that's exactly what I got. I wasn't expecting something deep or filled with theologies like "The Matrix," I went to see pointless guns and martial arts, guns, some violence, and maybe some campy humor.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of straigh-zombie-movies or straight-horror-movies; that is, movies that are true to the theme. I didn't like and of the "dawn/night/etc of the Dead" movies, and I didn't like "The Ring." But throw in some mindless action and I'll probably rent it.

RE 2 focused less on the hordes of zombies and simply showed pure action; running around and kicking butt.

It was one of the few sequels I've seen that were good. If there's a 3rd movie (since RE2 left on a cliff hanger) then I'll probably see that as well.

-Fry, Futurmama

-Fry, Futurama

22. Re: No subject Sep 12, 2004, 09:32 Awesome Spume

P.T. Barnum was more right than he could possibly know.

You're referring to "There's a sucker born every minute" right?

I prefer "Money is a terrible master but an excellent servant". Interesting dude. He's left a legacy which appears to have been well studied by the political spin machine.

21. Re: Auction Sep 12, 2004, 09:29 Awesome Spume

Is this http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/3637220.stm getting any coverage in the US?

Saudi Arabia may be one of the leading exporters of terrorism but the people in charge ostensibly support the US and host US army bases. The fact that the people in charge are a several thousand strong royal family that's raped the resources of the region for decades has never really troubled the West in general. Right now the US's biggest ally in the fight against terrorism is Pakistan, which just 3 or 4 years ago would probably have been another potential candidate for invasion based on it's support for terrorism. The common people in Pakistan and Saudi Arabia are still supplying terrorists and resources for terrorists but the people in charge of these countries are cooperating with the US so they're safe from invasion. Pakistan was basically given 2 options - support US or face the consequences.

The funny thing is Iraq was never part of the global terrorism picture until Saddam was toppled. Saddam was an evil dictator and deserves everything he gets but his iron grip on the country prevented the formation of terrorist cells typical elsewhere in the Middle East. He was also fairly secular unlike the mullahs in charge of many states in the region. Had the US just put a different kind of pressure on him he probably would have played along, just like the other despots the US has chosen to ally with.

And finally, why isn't the US invading North Korea (again) - it's BECAUSE they're detonating nuclear weapons. They also have one of, if not THE largest standing armies in the world. And first thing they'll do if the US invades is rain destruction down on their neighbours. They've already admitted to a nuclear bomb programme and basically told the weapons inspectors to fuck off and leave them alone OR ELSE. So off they fucked and that was that. Meanwhile a backward little country with a load of oil gets "liberated". Nice.

20. Re: No subject Sep 12, 2004, 08:55 Animals for Crackers

You're referring to "There's a sucker born every minute" right?

19. Re: Auction Sep 12, 2004, 03:29 nin

In my opinion there are three things that can be added to any movie, no matter how disasterous, that will cause that movie to ascend to greatness. They are: Ninjas, Wise-crackin' Black Guys and hot steamy lesbians. The way I figure it Resident Evil came just short of becoming a film legend.

Damn, dude...we need to get you to do a weekly film review!

Don't try this at home. Don't try this when you're alone. Don't try this at home. You're gonna hurt yourself. http://www.laptopic.com

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

18. Re: Auction Sep 12, 2004, 01:35 Scottish Martial Arts

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&e=5&u=/ap/20040912/ap_on_re_as/nkorea_explosion

In the cheery news of the day category North Korea probably detonated a nuclear weapon on thursday. Why the fuck hasn't this been on the news?

17. Re: Auction Sep 12, 2004, 01:34 Belmont

Do not worry SMA Zombie movie enthusiasts are used to being punched in the gut repeatedly with each crappy summer movie. One wasted movie will only faze the newest to the genre.

"Choice and Consequence." Gareth 'Section8' Davies on the key ingredients of an RPG.

16. Re: Auction Sep 12, 2004, 01:30 Belmont

What exactly are they protecting us from in Iraq? Al Qaeda was based in Afghanistan and the majority of the hijackers were from Saudi Arabia. Hell even going to war under the guise of the “War on Terror”, Saudi Arabia is more logical than Iraq but several Oil Barons, in SA, together own a substantial portion of our oil companies I have heard between 7-10% which is not that much but you have to consider its part of the largest source of money in American business. Now I am not saying we should go to war with Saudi Arabia just that under the guise of the "War on Terror" it makes more sense since Iraq has never made an attack on us.

We should have gone to war with Iraq 6 or 7 years ago (I suck at remembering dates) the second they started bossing around the UN inspectors and most definitely when they kicked them out. The UN says something along the lines of if you do not allow our inspectors in we will go to war and when Saddam kicks them out hardly a peep is ushered from the indecisive joke that we today call the United Nations.

P.S. did you know the Tibetans cannot use the bathroom in the UN building what kind of bullshit is that?

"Choice and Consequence." Gareth 'Section8' Davies on the key ingredients of an RPG.

15. Re: Auction Sep 12, 2004, 01:14 Scottish Martial Arts

Rock Climber, morons like you are precisely what's wrong with America and the world. Do the world a HUGE favor and cull yourself, friends and family from the genepool.

The Chirac comment, the soldier comment or both? I though liberals "supported the troops" and are "just as strong on defense".

I'm just ribbing you though so no need to post links and long winded tirades on the stupidity of the average american.

Okay so I saw Resident Evil, not entirely sure why I went to see it but I did. In my opinion there are three things that can be added to any movie, no matter how disasterous, that will cause that movie to ascend to greatness. They are: Ninjas, Wise-crackin' Black Guys and hot steamy lesbians. The way I figure it Resident Evil came just short of becoming a film legend.

The characters are basically ninjas, they're mammal's who totally flip out and kill people while doing crazy shit like bungie jumping, crashing motorcycles through windows, rappelling down the sides of skyscrapers and using kung fu to kill zombies. So we can all agree that RE has ninjas.

The movie also has a wise crackin black guy with a pimp hat and gold plated 1911s. He also has lines such as "GTA Motherfucker, 10 points!" while running over zombies in his pimp mobile and responding to the uber-villian-scientist's "Why isn't this helicopter taking off?" with "Cause I usually drive a cadillac bitch!". So we got the Wise Crackin Black Guy.

That leaves hot steamy lesbians, where RE trips two meters from the finish. We've got two hot babes wearing incredibly skimpy and impracticle outfits, straining with all their might to fight off hordes of zombies. I think there may have been a moment where the touch each other but unfortunately in a non-sexual way. At the end of the movie there was the perfect opportunity for the lesbian kiss that would have launched the movie into greatness but sadly it didn't happen. As it stands RE was just shy of the title greatest movie evar!.

Seriously though, even if you like zombie movies you're probably wasting your time and money going to see RE.

14. Re: Auction Sep 12, 2004, 00:37 Halsy

Rock Climber, morons like you are precisely what's wrong with America and the world. Do the world a HUGE favor and cull yourself, friends and family from the genepool.

"We only came to kick some ass. Rock the fuckin' house and kick some ass."
- Tenacious D

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

13. Re: Auction Sep 11, 2004, 21:48 MindTrigger

God bless our soldiers who are risking their lives to protect our country.

French President Chiroc, kindly kiss my ass.

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

12. Re: Auction Sep 11, 2004, 20:21 Warhawk

Not to mention pointless. One vote? You need to buy thousands. Or pay someone to knock thousands of eligible voters off the ballot... I'm sure that's equally illegal.

I don't want to start another political discussion, but I remember in 2000 the Dems in multiple states were trying to pool resources to swap votes in multiple states. They were trying to get the electoral college votes in close states they might be able to win and didn't worry about losing by bigger margins in states already written off as unwinnable, I think.

Yep, here it is:

http://www.cnn.com/2000/TECH/computing/10/31/gore.vote.swapping.idg/

It also looks like Nader was trying for %5 as part of the deal.

* Warhawk *

The new Quake-43 game blows my mind. It is even better than Super Turbo Turkey Puncher.
Doom 3

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

11. No subject Sep 11, 2004, 20:16 RazorWynd

Man that whole underground theatre buisness in Paris sounds too cool. I'd love to watch a movie down there just once.

not on my watch fiend!

Supporter of "The Only Good fredster Is A Dead fredster" fan club

The Former Leader and Victor of the rebel movement against the dark Lord Surewood and his fiendish cohorts(bunko)

Supporter of "The Only Good fredster Is A Dead fredster" fan club

10. Movies! Sep 11, 2004, 20:12 Valtyr

Man that whole underground theatre buisness in Paris sounds too cool. I'd love to watch a movie down there just once.

9. Re: Auction Sep 11, 2004, 18:53 nin

Or pay someone to knock thousands of eligible voters off the ballot... I'm sure that's equally illegal.

Oh, like in Florida?

Don't try this at home. Don't try this when you're alone. Don't try this at home. You're gonna hurt yourself. http://www.laptopic.com

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

8. Re: Auction Sep 11, 2004, 18:27 Tango

but is sure is illegal to buy one.
Not to mention pointless. One vote? You need to buy thousands. Or pay someone to knock thousands of eligible voters off the ballot... I'm sure that's equally illegal.

7. Re: Auction Sep 11, 2004, 18:16 tron

Isn't the practice of selling votes illegal?

yep... someone else tried this a few weeks ago, and it got pulled. though, actually i'm not sure if it is illegal to sell (or try to sell) a vote, but is sure is illegal to buy one.

- tron -
---
"tron is big and tron is full of action... it's a hell of a ride!"
-from the Tron 2.0 box

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo