Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

TRIBES Vengeance SP Demo

As promised, the single-player demo (direct link) for TRIBES Vengeance is now available, offering the chance to strap on your jetpack and fly solo to sample Irrational Games' imminent installment in the science fiction shooter series. The one-level demo is a 374 MB download, which premiered on GameSpot (registration required) and is now mirrored on 3D Gamers, ActionTrip, Boomtown (registration required), Computer Games Online, FileFront, FilePlanet (registration required), Filerush (torrent), FileShack (registration required), Gameguru Mania, Gamer's Hell, and Worthplaying.

View
45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

45. Re: Lol Sep 11, 2004, 19:48 Steele Johnson

Actually its nothing like the Tribes 1 jetpack which was the most un-manuvuerable of the series. You can basically just sit there and float/hover around back and forth/side to side in Vengeance. Even with a repair pack, you can jet all the way to the top of the arena no problem. Movement in Tribes 1 had a HUGE learning curve which seems nonexistant in T:V.

Actually, the jetpack is very close to that of Tribes 1. It's the gravity that's different. I played T1 religiously for years, and I could maneuver from side to side... but you had to do it quicker because you couldn't stay in the air too long. In T:V, the gravitational pull is much weaker... even more than T2. Where it's the same is the amount of thrust and energy (plus or minus a few notches).

This comment was edited on Sep 11, 19:49.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

44. Re: For what it's worth Sep 11, 2004, 18:07 4D-Boxing

The trail on the packs needs to go!!! Even though it would help guys like me who sucked at tribes2, I would prefer to see them gone. No color coded trails Please! Looking forward to the game I don't see the UT2k similarities others have talked about except for the game engine.

I did not bother buying UT2k4 or BF:V but this one looks interesting!

43. Re: No subject Sep 11, 2004, 15:54 Animals for Crackers

You're thinking Ultra Renegades, which IMO was a total noobfest

42. No subject Sep 11, 2004, 14:25 space captain

actually they did add more positional thrust (while midair) as well as more energy

i prefer it this way - flying around is the best part about tribes! i always felt the almost total lack of positional thrust in tribes was NOT cool, and i enjoyed renegades ALOT - which had jetpacks with 100x more energy than T:V.. so you could basically stay in the air the whole time... now THAT makes for interesting disc duels - just think about it now with the buckler!!!! (i love that bitch)

but I guess there are always people who feel the only way they can have a chance at being good at a game is if everyone is handicapped

heres another idea: use the extra freedom to get even better

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

41. Re: Lol Sep 11, 2004, 13:52 Animals for Crackers

jetpack really has a Tribes 1 feel, which is the way that prefer it to be

Actually its nothing like the Tribes 1 jetpack which was the most un-manuvuerable of the series. You can basically just sit there and float/hover around back and forth/side to side in Vengeance. Even with a repair pack, you can jet all the way to the top of the arena no problem. Movement in Tribes 1 had a HUGE learning curve which seems nonexistant in T:V.

40. Re: Lol Sep 11, 2004, 13:36 Steele Johnson

Yeah, it's kind of funny. Even with adding a singleplayer mode that shows you how to play, some of you guys still can't figure it out. ;-) To all of you who compare it to UT2k4... LEARN HOW TO PLAY, and you'll realize that it is nothing like UT. The packs are actually better in this game, compared to the last 2. The fact that they have both active and passive is a nice feature. The skiing is a bit easier (for the ginners), but it still requires some skill to get really good at it. And the jetpack really has a Tribes 1 feel, which is the way that prefer it to be. I can't wait to pick this one up!

39. Re: Lol Sep 11, 2004, 12:04 Scottish Martial Arts

The packs were really underwhelming. It felt like there was no feedback whatsoever when you activated one.

Quick run down of the what the packs do. All four packs have both a passive and active effect.

Speed Pack: It's passive effect is to increase your speed, it's most notable in light armor. It's active effect is to decrease your weapon reload time, so you can fire off a burst of discs in the time it would take to fire one. Very short duration for the active effect however.

Energy Pack: Passive effect is to increase the recharge rate of your energy. Active effect is to give your jetpacks a temporary boost in speed and lift power. It's handy for getting some momentum back after stopping to grab the flag.

Repair Pack: Passive effect is to slowly regenerate your armor. Active effect is to heal all friendly players, deployables, vehicles and structures in a small radius around you.

Shield Pack: Passive effect is to reduce the damage you take from any given attack. Active effect is to make you near invulnerable for a short period of time.

38. Re: For what it's worth Sep 11, 2004, 10:49 ZzeusS

There are trails on backpacks? Gah.. that sounds horribly gay. Hope you can turn them off. Can't play this right now due to being on dialup - but from what I hear it still plays like T1 a little.. and I did enjoy T2.. so hopefully it will be cool.

37. Re: For what it's worth Sep 11, 2004, 08:47 Mr Gar

I'm not paying for a fully priced game that plays worse than Red Orchestra 3.0

Why are you comparing another dull WW2 mod to Tribes?

36. Re: For what it's worth Sep 11, 2004, 07:41 Exitium

Crapola. Plays like a two bit UT2004 ripoff. I'll stick to the mods, thanks. I'm not paying for a fully priced game that plays worse than Red Orchestra 3.0

35. Re: Lol Sep 11, 2004, 06:27 Animals for Crackers

Irrational PULLLLEAZE PERTY PLEASE get rid of those stupid looking colored trails emitted from the jetpacks! Replace it with smoke and just leave it as is without the damn trails. Suprisingly I enjoyed the demo, though it definately felt like UT2k3/4 at the start. Once the action picked up though it's definately vintage Tribes action A few minor gripes aside (uninspired weapon design, lack of sound effects for certain interactions, generic UT-ish music, horrible and monotonous voice acting, wonky physics after the enemy is dead,etc) I'll def be picking this one up simply because it's Tribes

Edit: Nice to see the voicework for the Victoria character coming from one of the chicks who did voice for Tribes II.

This comment was edited on Sep 11, 06:46.

34. Re: Lol Sep 11, 2004, 05:47 Mr Gar

In multiplayer you want some easy kills? Just drop a couple packs and kill people off as they stoop to scrutinize the pretty shiny penny.

You haven't played the multiplayer beta have you? You're never more than 5 seconds away from a friendly inventory station because the maps are so small, so switching packs in the field never comes into it.

33. Re: Lol Sep 11, 2004, 05:03 [SC]TherMight

Wow. That was... very short.

I have a gripe with the pickups.

The packs were really underwhelming. It felt like there was no feedback whatsoever when you activated one. Speed didn't feel very speedy, there was no sound I could tell associated with it, like you get when you activate speed adrenaline in UT2k4. If I was watching better I guess I would have seen less damage with shield pack. Repair seemed to do virtually nothing. or maybe it was just the chaos of an arena that those packs seemed wasted on for demonstration purposes (not that a multiplayer game is any less chaotic).

I would have liked some way of going back and looking at some of the instructional messages on the weapons and packs, and the area around which you can activate a pack from the ground is quite small and the packs and weapons are not easily distinguished from each other. I can imagine walking back and forth trying to figure out what I'm activating and then I'm dead from enemies.

In multiplayer you want some easy kills? Just drop a couple packs and kill people off as they stoop to scrutinize the pretty shiny penny.

32. How is this Tribes? Sep 11, 2004, 02:26 Bluemagic

This felt nothing like tribes, rather a generic ripoff of of UT. Tribes was all about open combat, so they pick an arena level for the demo? Where's the sniping? Where's the signature sound when you launch a disc from part 1, where's the FUN?

31. Re: No subject Sep 11, 2004, 02:01 John

Huh, sure are some mixed reviews here. I was going to try it before I left for the weekend, but the file was corrupt and wouldn't install. So, I'll just have to wait till I get back on Sunday.

And what's the deal with those Darkwatch ads? Where did that game come from?

This space is available for rent

30. No subject Sep 11, 2004, 01:22 sponge

I think I just wet myself in glee for this game. Didn't think they could do it, but they did done it; the atmosphere in the arena is amazing - really draws you into the world.

I suspect the arena was picked due to the fact you can play it a few more times than the average demo, that and the actual single player is too linked together to just chop out a unit of levels.

In either case, any worries I ever had about T:V are completly and utterly gone.

This comment was edited on Sep 11, 01:22.

29. OMFG THIS ROCKS!!! Sep 11, 2004, 01:17 Camaro76

Even though I am so totally out of practice, this is a DEFINITE purchase. I felt a little sad since there was no Dynamix logo when the game started up, but good job to Irrational for bringing back Tribes. I would have bought the game even without seeing the demo. And now I wish I hadn't played it because it's going to be tough waiting for the game to hit the shelves. Gotta go practice some more, hope to see y'all online soon (handle: Camaro76 of course!)

---------------------------------------------
[No pixels were harmed in the making of this post.]
Vote Toothpick Spreader Party in 2004!

--------
BOOBIES Filter Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/BOOBIES_filter.user.js
Punk Buster (Ignore Trolls) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js

28. Re: Sep 10, 2004, 23:45 Rseman

Yeah, I kinda liked that game with weapons line, too:P

Every game has to have weapons, it's nature.. even Grim Fandango had you shooting someone... okies, it was a fertilizer gun thingy, but the feeling was there...

27. Re: No subject Sep 10, 2004, 22:49 Morgan19

I don't get it. You are in a circular arena. Stuff keeps coming at you. That is single player? I thought it would have a level or something.

It is a level, just not one that really makes sense outside of the full game. I agree that it's an odd choice for a representative SP demo, but if you read up on sites' SP-portion reviews, you'll understand how it fits in with the rest of the game.

Seems like a multiplayer game with weapons.

As opposed to a multiplayer game without weapons? I hear those are all the rage these days.

No way to know how much health the enemies have left.

Except by looking at the health indicators right under their names, you mean...?

m19

This comment was edited on Sep 11, 00:09.

26. Re: No subject Sep 10, 2004, 22:49 Steele Johnson

Wow, I haven't seen such a waste of bandwidth before. What a stupid demo. I'd say either release a MP demo or don't waste your time.

you'll get your ass kicked in multiplayer anyway, so don't bother wasting the bandwidth on that one either.

This comment was edited on Sep 10, 22:51.

45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo