Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Duke Nukem Forever Using DOOM 3 Engine?!

Update: Shacknews has quote from 3D Realms' George Broussard saying that this is the result of some confusion, and is not true, the story going on to clarify that DNF is using a 100% in-house engine. - Original story: Listening through the entirety of the Take Two quarterly earnings conference call (thanks GameSurf) offers a startling revelation. A question about a Duke Nukem Forever release date, which naturally was not provided, elicited the casual remark that the game is "using the DOOM 3 technology, which is finished." 3D Realms' long-in-development shooter started as a Quake engine game, before switching to the Unreal engine. There you go -- proof that even dry conference calls can be exciting.

View
61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

21. ? Sep 9, 2004, 23:15 Shredder133

Omg, a bad decision involving DNF? Who would have thought??? I won't even begin to care about this game until I see a tech demo.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Sep 9, 2004, 23:15 Rseman

If anyone reads the .plans and has a long memory:P After JC showed D3 at MacExpo, Scott Miller(?) from 3DRealms did a long post in his .plan and, thankfully, managed to keep the drool in check... but, I did half expect to see a .plan update for JC the next day telling us how Scott came over last night and blew him to get a better look at the engine...

Actually, I think Scott's post was the one mistaken for George's in that DNF timeline the other week.. which was fecking hilarious, btw....

Changing from the Unreal tech is beyond my comprehension, then again... I don't make games for a living.... and I'm still trying to fathom DoomEdit... only reason I've kept DooM3 installed is hoping Kiltron or someone does another single player map:)

19. Re: Doesnt make sense Sep 9, 2004, 23:13 Undead Scottsman

Indeed.. Hell, it doesn't even make much sense for them to switch to the Doom 3 engine anyway.. 3D realms has a hard on for interactivity, which the Source engine provides in spades.. Not to mention that source seems to be more capable of rendering large, wideopen enviroments; such as cities and outdoor areas (AKA Las Vegas and the surrounding desert)

Oh well; even I can't find anything positive to say about DNF. With or without the Doom3 engine.

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

18. Re: Not likely Sep 9, 2004, 23:12 JoeCool

Hehe This is funny. No really what is this like the 4th engine? Lol

17. Re: Not likely Sep 9, 2004, 23:10 trog

They already said it was a mistake to do it the last time.

Yeh, that's because they went with the Unreal engine though.

(Begin engine wars... now!)

16. Re: Not likely Sep 9, 2004, 23:05 human

Duke Nukem sucked in the first place --- a 3rd-hand pastiche of better films and better games. I have no idea how the people at 3drealms even justify spending the money on this turkey.

15. Bow down to the king... of vaporware!!! Sep 9, 2004, 23:04 Yosarrian

It's time to kickass and release a game... and I'm all out of games.

Since Duke Nukem Forever has been announce I finished high school and have since gone on to two universities and now have two more quarters left till I get my B.A. in Game Design.

Anyone else think 3D Realms is the Enron of the gaming industry? You know they have to be stealing from their employees pensions to keep a game development hellhole like this running.

14. Re: Doesnt make sense Sep 9, 2004, 23:03 Tony!!!

Yea, It makes no sence at all to switch from Unreal Tech to Doom tech. What the hell are they thinking?

-Tony!!!;)
Discover the #1 Health Secret in the World, Mangosteen!!!
http://www.Tony.Showmewhy.com

-Tony!!!;)
my 360 user name is Robo Pop

13. Doesnt make sense Sep 9, 2004, 23:01 carnevil47

This move doesnt make any sense to me. First of all, 3drealms is basically throwing away all the experience they have with the unreal engine since the doom 3 engine is totally different. Second, if they switch to the doom 3 engine, it would take at least 2 years to re-port and finish the game. (if there lucky) By then, the Unreal 3 engine is out and 3drealm loses again. This has to be a rumor or 3d realms is truly lacking in logic.

12. Re: No subject Sep 9, 2004, 22:59 Erratic

Maybe there is no 3D Realms. Maybe the company vanished years ago and we never knew it. Has anyone actually spoken to Broussard or anyone from 3DR personnaly? Maybe it's some automated AI that outputs a message whenever 3D Realms is contacted electronically, and just inserts the line "when it's done" at the end of each response.

----------------------
- Erratic
This comment was edited on Sep 9, 23:00.

11. Re: Not likely Sep 9, 2004, 22:57 tron

i like the irony of the initials... in sporting events like races and such, DNF stands for "did not finish".

- tron -
---
"tron is big and tron is full of action... it's a hell of a ride!"
-from the Tron 2.0 box

10. Hmm... Sep 9, 2004, 22:55 Pumas

Is this the engine that makes the game....exist?

V

How will I know limits from lies if I never try?

9. No subject Sep 9, 2004, 22:46 terrapin

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Sorry.

*sniggers*

by the way, did anyone see this Something Awful feature on the DNF messageboards? It is rather disturbing.
http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=2314&p=4

This comment was edited on Sep 9, 22:46.

8. Re: Not likely Sep 9, 2004, 22:44 Supafresh

this is vaporware , an on going joke in the gaming world.

7. Re: Not likely Sep 9, 2004, 22:42 Breadman86

wtf... i thought they said it was running the Unreal3 engine a few weeks ago, haha. ve3d said that anyways, but yeah. doesn't surprise me.

those jackasses.

6. Re: Not likely Sep 9, 2004, 22:42 Warhawk

What engine were they using?

Don't know, but by the time it's finished it'll be the Quake-43 engine.

* Warhawk *

The new Quake-43 game blows my mind. It is even better than Super Turbo Turkey Puncher.
Doom 3

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

5. Re: Not likely Sep 9, 2004, 22:41 MMORPGHoD

They'll be changing engines forever...

4. Re: Not likely Sep 9, 2004, 22:39 Slappy

What is Duke Nukem Forever???

3. Re: Not likely Sep 9, 2004, 22:38 John

What engine were they using?

This space is available for rent