Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Duke Nukem Forever Using DOOM 3 Engine?!

Update: Shacknews has quote from 3D Realms' George Broussard saying that this is the result of some confusion, and is not true, the story going on to clarify that DNF is using a 100% in-house engine. - Original story: Listening through the entirety of the Take Two quarterly earnings conference call (thanks GameSurf) offers a startling revelation. A question about a Duke Nukem Forever release date, which naturally was not provided, elicited the casual remark that the game is "using the DOOM 3 technology, which is finished." 3D Realms' long-in-development shooter started as a Quake engine game, before switching to the Unreal engine. There you go -- proof that even dry conference calls can be exciting.

View
61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

41. Bloody... Sep 10, 2004, 00:52 mystery8

Surely not... It almost seems inconceivable... What the hell's going on over at 3dRealms?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: might be true Sep 10, 2004, 00:41  Blue 

Can someone with clearance to access the actual text of that conference call do a copy/paste of the relevant text so we can see if this is even worth discussing? That link just wants me to give Take2 a shitload of personal details and BugMeNot has failed me.

The part I put in quotes is a, well... quote.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

39. No subject Sep 10, 2004, 00:33 AthlonSeven

ROOFLESSTILTZKEN!!! LOL!  
http://www.memenest.com

38. Nope, it's using the Unreal 3 Engine Sep 10, 2004, 00:31 Hunterzyph

*cough*

37. No subject Sep 10, 2004, 00:29 LightBender

HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Just say NO to WACKOS JACKOS AND FREAKS
MAKE THE WORLD FEAR THE USA, BOMB A BLEEDING HEART TODAY!

36. Re: Exclusive screenshots Sep 10, 2004, 00:20 Warhawk

No, it's too bright. Darken it up a bit...

* Warhawk *

The new Quake-43 game blows my mind. It is even better than Super Turbo Turkey Puncher.
Doom 3

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

35. Re: No subject Sep 10, 2004, 00:19 Warhawk

You know, maybe it was because I never played the other "Duke" games (except for a brief MP match once or twice, I think), this whole thing is just funny to me. I'm sure to those of you who are WERE excited about this game, it's not such a laughing matter, though.

Now, where's HL2? :):o%)

* Warhawk *

The new Quake-43 game blows my mind. It is even better than Super Turbo Turkey Puncher.
Doom 3

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

34. Ahaha Sep 10, 2004, 00:14 Creston

hahahahahahahahaaaaaaahahhaaaahahaa.

Haha..

Creston

32. New development Sep 10, 2004, 00:08 LIQUID-SEX

It has been announced that DNF will not be made for the PC. It has been decided to switch over to the colicovision platform.

31. Dear Lord... Sep 10, 2004, 00:08 Q

This has got to be some crude joke, right? You got to be fucking kidding me...

This is worse than an April Fool's joke.

This comment was edited on Sep 10, 00:16.

30. Re: might be true Sep 9, 2004, 23:57 Hyperion_72

True, but high poly is not the strength of the doom 3 engine. The doom 3 engine relys on using low poly models and buffing them up with normal mapping, unified lighting, and animations. Infact, low poly is a major reason on why doom 3 runs so well.

Do you know where they get those lo-poly models and the data for the normal maps to use on those models? High-poly models. There have been articles with screenshots showing the development of the Pinky demon that show this is how it's done.

Can someone with clearance to access the actual text of that conference call do a copy/paste of the relevant text so we can see if this is even worth discussing? That link just wants me to give Take2 a shitload of personal details and BugMeNot has failed me.

29. Re: might be true Sep 9, 2004, 23:52 HIGH_PING

DNF needed/needs to be ported to another engine. Just look at how old the graphics are in the 2001 e3 demo:
http://www.fileplanet.com/files/60000/60330.shtml

The doom 3 engine relys on using low poly models
True, but low poly models are typically created from high poly models.

Edit: Fileplanet sucks. Here's a mirror http://www.ausgamers.com/files/download/html/477
This comment was edited on Sep 9, 23:58.

28. No subject Sep 9, 2004, 23:52 Elf Shot The Food

I have a hard time believing this, and eagerly await 'official' word.

But if they keep switching engines to the latest and greatest, the game will never be released. but you think they'd know that.

27. Re: Bow down to the king... of vaporware!!! Sep 9, 2004, 23:49 The Truth

Since Duke Nukem Forever has been announce I finished high school and have since gone on to two universities and now have two more quarters left till I get my B.A. in Game Design.

I can top that:

I took a year out, completed a 4 year degree in marketing managment, immigrated tot he USA, got married.. AND ITS STILL NOT OUT!

Personally i think its just a running joke and they have moved onto new things. then again maybe not!

------
Stop the Politics posts
Say NO to WAR themed comments
DOWN WITH BUSH ... is just an inflammatory remark, designed to provoke a response, ignore the trolls
STOP POLLUTING This message board with dumb political comments

------
Diablo & Diablo 2 for the DS, it makes sense Blizzard!

26. Re: Not likely Sep 9, 2004, 23:45 indiv

Don't know, but by the time it's finished it'll be the Quake-43 engine.

Oh, come on, that's rediculous.

Everyone knows it'll never be finished.

25. Re: might be true Sep 9, 2004, 23:33 Muscular Beaver

Its ok guys. We all know this game has been in development that long. Nobody cares anymore. If they get it out sometime and it rocks, it will be a good game and all will be forgiven. Youre acting as if there are no other games to keep you occupied or if you paid money for it already...

________
I don't like arguing. Why can't we all just get along instead of fighting and arguing?

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

24. Re: might be true Sep 9, 2004, 23:32 carnevil47

"Because 3D Realms is currently hiring artists who have experience making high-poly models for normal mapped objects and characters."

True, but high poly is not the strength of the doom 3 engine. The doom 3 engine relys on using low poly models and buffing them up with normal mapping, unified lighting, and animations. Infact, low poly is a major reason on why doom 3 runs so well.

23. Re: might be true Sep 9, 2004, 23:23 Wazootyman

I MUST see what they could possibly create with development time like this.
If you are really that curious, go dig Daikatana out of a bargain bin/trash heap somewhere.

22. might be true Sep 9, 2004, 23:17 Ludomancer

Because 3D Realms is currently hiring artists who have experience making high-poly models for normal mapped objects and characters. Check it out:
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/jobs_display.php?job_id=4287

Wow. Just... wow. I will play the crap out of this game when it comes out just to see... I MUST see what they could possibly create with development time like this. Wow.

61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo