Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Duke Nukem Forever Using DOOM 3 Engine?!

Update: Shacknews has quote from 3D Realms' George Broussard saying that this is the result of some confusion, and is not true, the story going on to clarify that DNF is using a 100% in-house engine. - Original story: Listening through the entirety of the Take Two quarterly earnings conference call (thanks GameSurf) offers a startling revelation. A question about a Duke Nukem Forever release date, which naturally was not provided, elicited the casual remark that the game is "using the DOOM 3 technology, which is finished." 3D Realms' long-in-development shooter started as a Quake engine game, before switching to the Unreal engine. There you go -- proof that even dry conference calls can be exciting.

View
61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

61. Re: what? Sep 16, 2004, 08:36 Kristian Joensen

"Ok wait a second, DNF is now using an in house engine (yeah that'd be the 4th change)? As in 3D Realms engine? or does he mean Unreal 3 technology or some type of derivitave?

Also 50, i'm pretty sure your right, i listened to the mp3 and the context of the whole conversation would make alot more sense."
DNF does not use the Unreal engine 3 technology nor does it use a completely inhouse engine. 3D Realms still use the Unreal engine.

But they have rewritten every sub-system of it including the renderer, except the Unrealed editor, the netcode and maybe the Unrealscript language, everything else is 3D Realms code.
They are hiring artists now because finaly it is the content and not the technology wich is the bottleneck. They are basicliy finished with the engine and will not add any features wich delay the game. They are now focusing on content development, bug fixes and optimization.

The renderer is a full Directx 9 renderer and is considered to be visually competetive. 3D Realms has said that they are either gonna ship on this engine or cancel the game. There has only been one engine switch from Quake 2 to Unreal. The rest are just different versions of the Unreal engine.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

60. Re: Bloody... Sep 10, 2004, 16:18 mystery8

LOL. GameSpot waited a whole 35 minutes for a response at 10pm. Not surprised one bit.

A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on. - Winston Churchhill

59. I can't belive this crap Sep 10, 2004, 03:33 FRAGaLOT

I can't belive they are still "claiming" they are working on this game after all these years. I wish they would just claim it vaporware and get on with life. Maybe 3DR can start on a new game that will take them 10 years to not make.

__ FRAGaLOT
http://home.comcast.net/~zalle2/blog.htm

__ FRAGaLOT

58. You know.. Sep 10, 2004, 03:26 shul

You know when you use "LOL" to express how funny something is while you didn't actually "loughed out loud" reading it?

Well, this time I ACTUALLY LOLLED

You just have to be kidding me (and I'm not that big a fan of duke to start with) this is the single most annoying dev team I've ever heared from (and yes, this does include the NWN for linux saga and black & white ..ehmm.. thingy).

Another thing (speaking of blue's update) - how would *anyone* (and I am not only talking about the techie who acutally said it) confuse :
in house engine

with

Doom3 technology

How ???

57. In-House Sep 10, 2004, 03:13 Zombi Z

(Assuming DNF does exist, this may be a flawed line of thinking, but here's hoping we can shoot off George B.'s fingers in an in-game gag as I have put money into this game a few times now and for some reason can't cancel a particlular EBGames preorder going to some rustic apartment in Fayetteville, AR - feliz navidad ye' silly fuqs.)

Forget the Quake Tech rumor. It's still the Unreal engine. Kind of.

Let's look at MoH: Allied Assault and MoH: Pacific Assault. The foundation is Quake, the result being an almost complete rewrite which handles a much higher polycount plus projected textures and other shaders much better than AA handled it's significantly lighter load. That, or, Allied Assault doesn't play nice with Tripple Buffering, and chugs at 1280x and even 1024x even on my RADEON 9700 Pro for no good reason other than pushing too much geometry through a then-three-year-old engine.

Now, Half-Life. The foundation is again Quake, the result was, well, Quake with improved dynamic lighing, a goofy (I've seen the code) chrome effect first seen in ritual's SiN, and some specular work as well. But, VALVe had a lot of experience with rendering over the past few years with HL2's dev cycle and came up with something quite spiffy on their own.

I imagine 3DRealms has essentially done the same with Unreal Tech and as Direct3D far from sucks now, would be nice to see in action.

This comment was edited on Sep 10, 03:14.

56. I GET IT Sep 10, 2004, 02:37 The dude

Duke Nukem Forever is the ubiquitous urban legend of the PC gaming world.

in other words if it's vaporware, the dictionary will highlight with great emphasis the word "3DRealms".
In my opinion the only thing that's forever is the perennial lip flapping coming from 3drealm's George Broussard

Does this dude ever stop... FUCK hasn't it been damn near a decade?

-The Dude-

Vic B.

55. Re: Sep 10, 2004, 02:33 ExcessDan

Blue, I think your update there is too small and camouflaged within the false story.

------------
Love,
Mayor Dan:
The mayor of your hearts <3<3<3<3<3

ExcessDan

54. "RIGHT!" Sep 10, 2004, 02:26 The dude

WOW! This event is almost worthy of me rising from my grave to clear the dust from lungs and giving a little chuckle.

I have only one thing to say to George B: "give up"

-The Dude-

Vic B.

53. No subject Sep 10, 2004, 02:25 ExcessDan

oh fact checkers <3

------------
Love,
Mayor Dan:
The mayor of your hearts <3<3<3<3<3

ExcessDan

52. Re: what? Sep 10, 2004, 02:19 sinner's saint

Hey guys I just heard Duke Nukem Forever switched back to the original Duke Nukem 3d engine, this is real news please post it.
This comment was edited on Sep 10, 02:20.

51. what? Sep 10, 2004, 02:14 Optimo

Ok wait a second, DNF is now using an in house engine (yeah that'd be the 4th change)? As in 3D Realms engine? or does he mean Unreal 3 technology or some type of derivitave?

Also 50, i'm pretty sure your right, i listened to the mp3 and the context of the whole conversation would make alot more sense.

50. Misheard? Sep 10, 2004, 01:43 Lionfire

I'll admit that I haven't actually listened to it, but isn't it possible that he said (or meant to say) "using the Doom 3 terminology, when it is finished"?

Seriously, the concept of them changing engines again is so funny, I can't imagine anyone even suggesting that they're changing engines without laughing.

49. Re: might be true Sep 10, 2004, 01:23 SM0k3

DNF....i cant believe it. LOL this would make it what? the 3rd or 4th engine change hahaha who even gives a fawk about it anymore. =x

48. Re: might be true Sep 10, 2004, 01:11 Stolk

Apparantly it's not true. Check http://www.homelanfed.com/index.php.

This comment was edited on Sep 10, 01:13.

47. Re: DNF... Sep 10, 2004, 01:11 Warhawk

The game doesn't exist, every time a new engine comes out the game 'switches' to it just to bring our attention back to it. It's a psychological experiment in human behavior, run by a secret government orginization, designed to see how long they can keep interest up in a nonexistant project. This data is collected, processed, and then used by politicians to create their agendas to keep themselves in office.

It does sound like something Kerr - er, never mind, no political posts, right?

* Warhawk *

The new Quake-43 game blows my mind. It is even better than Super Turbo Turkey Puncher.
Doom 3

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

46. Re: might be true Sep 10, 2004, 01:09 carnevil47

"Do you know where they get those lo-poly models and the data for the normal maps to use on those models? High-poly models. There have been articles with screenshots showing the development of the Pinky demon that show this is how it's done."

I never said the Doom 3 engine could not render high poly models. I know for a fact that modelers at Id make high poly models (around 10000) in Maya. They then scale it down the number of polys and add the appropiate normal mapping (I dont remember the source, maybe an IGN preview). I just said that High Poly is not what the doom 3 engine is known for.

45. DNF... Sep 10, 2004, 00:58 .Drifter

The game doesn't exist, every time a new engine comes out the game 'switches' to it just to bring our attention back to it. It's a psychological experiment in human behavior, run by a secret government orginization, designed to see how long they can keep interest up in a nonexistant project. This data is collected, processed, and then used by politicians to create their agendas to keep themselves in office.

44. No subject Sep 10, 2004, 00:58 Awetopsy

Ill believe it when George says its done. period

43. Re: Bloody... Sep 10, 2004, 00:57 Fleer

Check it out.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/33499

42. Re: Bloody... Sep 10, 2004, 00:56 Halsy

3D realms is going to broke after DNF fails.

"We only came to kick some ass. Rock the fuckin' house and kick some ass."
- Tenacious D

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo