Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Gold - Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War

THQ announces that Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War, Relic Entertainment's RTS game based on the popular table-top franchise, is gold, and slated to ship worldwide by September 20:

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War Goes Gold

Experience the Brutal Carnage of War in the 41st Millennium Beginning Sept. 20

CALABASAS HILLS, Calif., Sept. 7, 2004: THQ Inc. (Nasdaq:THQI) today announced that Warhammer® 40,000: Dawn of WarTM has reached the gold master stage of development and is entering manufacturing. The highly anticipated real-time strategy (RTS) game for PC is based on the world of Warhammer 40,000 - the dark, futuristic, fantasy universe from Games Workshop (LSE:GAW) traveled by millions worldwide. Developed by THQ's Relic® Entertainment Inc., Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War is scheduled to begin shipping to retailers worldwide on September 20, 2004.

"Dawn of War delivers the most visceral front-line combat ever depicted in an RTS game," said Ron Moravek, general manager of Relic Entertainment. "We are confident that the visually stunning, epic battles create a distinctive and totally accessible RTS experience."

For more information on Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War, please visit www.dawnofwargame.com.

View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

42. Re: Seeking Mr. Chambers Oct 6, 2004, 21:05 Ninjamel

After playing through Dawn of War (well, a little of it, with Uni work piling up), but after having Tavis play through it, and get to the end, and see the credits, and spot a familiar name - so began the great hunt, which leads me to here (for now). If you do spot this, drop me a line - since some of us back home are glad you're successful now

And congratulations on a wonderful looking game (which the boys have all been playing non-stop).

Mel.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

41. Re: Yes!! Sep 24, 2004, 04:12 WG_RavAge

Dawn of War is a great game !
Plz look at this screenshots : http://dawn.of.war.free.fr

Cu

40. Re: Wtf? Sep 8, 2004, 13:56 ZzeusS

this is a great game...ill be picking this one up

39. Re: Wtf? Sep 8, 2004, 13:38 John

Well, according to RTSNut, there is talk on the official forum about a demo coming this week. I'm hoping the talk is true.

I just watched a gameplay vid of DoW from E3 and it looks really good. Lots of little details added which I like.

This space is available for rent

38. Re: Wtf? Sep 8, 2004, 01:59 SirOvenMitt

Any chances a demo will be released?

37. Re: Wtf? Sep 7, 2004, 19:12 Creston

shall get both 40k and R:TW
That's not how a message board works. You must pick one and bash the other.

Classic

Creston

36. Yay Sep 7, 2004, 19:10 Creston

Another game in the week of September 14th to September 21st. Every day I begin to hate game publishers more.

But, since it looks great, I guess I'll pick it up.

Creston

35. Re: No subject Sep 7, 2004, 17:41 RTSNut

Heard buzzing on the official forum that a demo was coming this week. Also saw there that UK PC Gamer reviewed the game already (not sure how they do that before it hits shelves) and gave it a 91% saying best RTS since TA.

34. Re: No subject Sep 7, 2004, 17:18 Gandhi

Hmmm .... I have been looking for a replacement to my cherished Total Annihilation. May be this will carry me over untill Chris Taylor releases a spiritual successor to TA.

Anyone know whether there will be a demo for this game anytime soon? I saw a link on the official site say "coming soon," but anyone know how long that might be?

You cannot make anything fool-proof. The fools are too inventive

You cannot make anything fool-proof. The fools are too inventive

GW: Tr Gandhi (Ra), Shiva Sung (Mo), Mangal Pandey (Ne), Rana Pratap Singh (Wa), Boddhi Satwa (Ri), Bhagat Singh (De), Bahadur Shastri (Pa)

33. Re: No subject Sep 7, 2004, 17:16  [relic]chavez 

Its worth noting that by saying "20/20" that means you can have a maximum of 10 squads of space marines (each squad costs 2). Each squad can contain 9 space marines, which means you can be under control of 90 units, and thats just infantry. If you count vehicles (which also have a cap of 20) you can have 20 rhinos, or 10 dreadnoughts etc. All told, thats over 100 units under your control at any one time.

And they all have guns.

andrew chambers
game designer
relic entertainment

32. No subject Sep 7, 2004, 16:55 Darks

War 3 does not even come close to this games battle intensity, and the battles are just that chaotic and very intense. My only peve with this game is the pop cap, and we meaning many of us have stated it many times in the forum that the 20/20 for the Space Marines is way to low.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

31. Tribes: V beta Sep 7, 2004, 16:50 Flo

Where's that Tribes Vengeance Beta whining thread? I just tried it and it rocks so shut up and die !
Oh yea, DoW also a great game.

Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

30. Re: Hmmm Sep 7, 2004, 16:26 RTSNut

While #29's reply was a tad harsh, he's right. Warcraft 3 and DoW are not alike. Much bigger armies, much more tactical play in DoW. Much smaller focus on RPG hero elements, and DoW looks a ton better. War3 was a great game, but very different from DoW.

29. Re: Hmmm Sep 7, 2004, 16:14 Grounded

"Looks like Warcraft III minus the resources and I did not like Warcraft III.

I'll just wait for Rome."

Hi, "Mr I dont know what the fuck I am talking about" but you are very wrong and this was a very idiotic statement

This game is not like nor does not even play like Warcraft 3.

You can stand in line for a clue, it starts over there, waaaaay in the back

28. Hmmm Sep 7, 2004, 16:00 kanniballl

I don't know what to think.

I used to LOVE RTS games back in "the day." Games like DUNE 2, Command & Conquer (classic), and (somwhat) Red Alert were great. Warcraft, eh, never really got into.

I LOVED StarCraft, but I only really liked playing against my buddies in college. You were gauranteed a quality match with them, and we'd play until like 2AM.

But, after college, I started falling out of favor with RTS games. StarCraft on Battle.Net was crappy. It was always about the zerg rush or having a friend un-ally with you during a major battle and start taking out your base.

I tried getting back into it with Ground Control II and Perimeter, but it just doesn't have the same "pull" the RTS games of teh past had.

I hears some good things about Rome and what-not, but I like my RTS games to be SciFi based.

Maybe this will be the fuel that relights my fire. I can only hope. Because FPS games are realllllly getting boring to me.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurmama

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

27. Re: Visceral Sep 7, 2004, 15:52 ColligoMortis

""from madrid to calabasas""

rot in hell POD!!!

26. Visceral Sep 7, 2004, 15:14 FourPak

the word "visceral" is used 6 times to describe the game on just the first page of the faq, so it MUST be good.

25. No subject Sep 7, 2004, 14:54 MacD

I was in the beta too, and I loved the game, which is surprising, as I don't generally play RTS'. DoW sounded different enough to me that I wanted in on teh beta, and I'm not dissapointed.
The way resources are handled (the capturing of (strategic) points) makes for an interesting gameplay mechanic, different enough to distinguish it. The four races, each with their different units and upgrades, makes for good replay value. And the gfx are cool too. But the animation is what's really fun: it's amazing the diffrenet ways units get slaughtered

As for moddability: this is a Relic game, so count on a lot of moddabilty via the Relic Developer Network (which was up way before the UnrealDN). I think I remember an interview where they said adding entire races was pretty easy due to how the game is setup.

24. Re: No subject Sep 7, 2004, 14:28 RTSNut

There is a basic skirmish in the beta and the back of box from my preorder states that you can play Human vs. AI in not only single player, but online and LAN play as well.

23. Re: So how? Sep 7, 2004, 14:26 RTSNut

If you are abandoning your early units, then you are missing out. Squads are extremely versatile and are the most effective counters to many of the late game units. Using a couple squads of missile outfitted marines to take out a Killa Kan is much more economically sound than using a dreadnought. When using the right counters and upgrading your squads the right way (which you do dynamically for each squad) early game units are key to victory from start to finish.

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo