Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

SWAT 4 Update

The Freedom Force Universe Website (thanks Frans), of all places, offers a status report on SWAT 4, citing the enthusiasm the developers at Irrational Games still hold for the project even during the current crunch to complete it for a first quarter 2005 release as evidence of how well it is all coming together.

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. No subject Sep 6, 2004, 09:45 neko_

I'm really looking forward to Swat4. Swat3 was great, MP COOP is such a fanstastic aspect of gaming, it's a shame most developers don't include it. I think it's due to the technical investment required.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. swatUJ Sep 5, 2004, 21:47 mycoman

While S4 may not be the same game as SWAT:UJ, it is most definately a continuation of the series the same as SUJ was to be. To me, it seems like it is more geared to resemble the Swat3 game (thank god!!). From all accounts, it WILL have coop campaign mode - I can only pray it stays in there since S3 coop was the most fun I've had in a long time.

27. Finally! Sep 5, 2004, 17:59 Pie4Foo

Here, here! I'm looking forward to seeing the previews start to roll in. It's been too long for the fans of SWAT who've been waiting for a game after SWAT 3.

Shameless plug: http://www.10-david.com/

26. Re: No subject Sep 5, 2004, 10:24 Reactor

Swat 3 is a fantastic game. I still play it every now and then, and know that the community behind it are very passionate about Swat games done well. I'm looking forward to Swat 4, personally.

Best of luck with the development, Ken and co.

25. Re: No subject Sep 5, 2004, 09:15 padlock

Thanks for the info Ken, sounds great.

Now for the love of god, please start working on SS3 next!!!

24. No subject Sep 5, 2004, 05:55 Razerious

Nice! I hope this one has coop multiplayer!

23. Re: does anyone care...? Sep 5, 2004, 04:33 kyleb

There are a few screenshots at 3dgamers, looks great:

http://www.3dgamers.com/screenshots/games/swat4/1.html

22. Re: SWAT 4 is not Urban Justice ! Sep 5, 2004, 03:58 Awesome Spume

For God's sake get that man a developer highlight. I uninstalled Service Pack 2 for his game.

Bunko, are you sorry for ALL the trolling?

Who else pees themself a little remembering the Old Man Murray SWAT3 strategy guide? Oh, just me then.

21. Re: SWAT 4 is not Urban Justice ! Sep 5, 2004, 03:26  Ken Levine 

vodka, i can't really comment much, but i don't think you're going to be disappointed.

20. Re: SWAT 4 is not Urban Justice ! Sep 5, 2004, 01:40 Vodkatini

thanks ken.

i've been looking forward to this one for a long time. it's especially good to hear that you're focusing on tactics and procedure.

can't wait 'til the embargo's lifted! maybe then we can find out about first person weapon view. exists? and if so, is there iron-sight aiming? FPWV is a tough one to get right in a tactical shooter.

also, SWAT3 had a really solid single player game. great replayability based on simple things: how enemies would spawn in different places (and they were unpredictable) and how you're AI teammates carried out your orders. it made for some great gaming. i hope the multiplayer is good, too... of course, the icing on the cake would be COOP. god, please, let there be COOP in SWAT4!!

This comment was edited on Sep 5, 01:41.

19. Re: SWAT 4 is not Urban Justice ! Sep 5, 2004, 01:21  Ken Levine 

We're giving as much news as the PR guys will let us. We started work on the game about a year and a half ago, and it's really coming along great. If you're a SWAT 3 fan (or like tactical shooters in general) you'll dig it. For those of who don't know SWAT, it was the first tactical shooter and has a focus on SWAT procedure and command, with rewards for using non-lethals. Of course, you can win the game by being pretty damn lethal (so long as no hostages get it), but the team spent a ton of time researching and training with actual SWAT guys. And it's really, really beautiful, if I do say so myself (as a guy who had zero to do with how good looking it is).

Look for some very major previews soon.

-kl

This comment was edited on Sep 5, 01:21.

18. Re: SWAT 4 is not Urban Justice ! Sep 4, 2004, 23:51 Vodkatini

SWAT 4 has NOT been "in development hell for years" or ever been "under the title 'Urban Justice'". The official SWAT 4 announcement was made at the end of April this year. The general public has known of the existence of SWAT 4 for a little over four months.

This is more semantics than anything else. sierra has always intended on releasing the *next* SWAT game. the official announcement (and name) is irrelevant in that context. it's a sequel, and it's the 4th game in the franchise.

the real point is that the SWAT franchise has gone through alot of changes (particularly after rod fung left the picture) and now it seems as though the sequel to SWAT3 is going to be realized -- and it's going to be decent. i just wish we getting more news and less water cooler bullshit.

This comment was edited on Sep 4, 23:53.

17. Re: No subject Sep 4, 2004, 23:19 Teddy

I'm a bit more skeptical of the game now than I was when it was under the title "Urban Justice," so I will be looking for the demo before I buy.

This statement confuses me somewhat. By all means, look for a demo before you buy a game but why would you be more skeptical now than you were of Urban Justice?

From what I read about it, Urban Justice was essentially planned as a dumbed down version of SWAT 3 with more "action-packed gameplay". SWAT 4 on the other hand is a game being made with the specific intention of being true to the series and stepping the realism involved up a notch higher.

Maybe you wanted more of an arcade style, I don't know, but if you were looking for something that still held the feel of SWAT 3, then dropping SWAT:UJ and going to SWAT 4 should have you cheering in the streets.

16. SWAT 4 is not Urban Justice ! Sep 4, 2004, 22:55 Shadowcat

I'm a bit more skeptical of the game now than I was when it was under the title "Urban Justice,"

was just wondering because this game has been in development hell for years and I keep forgetting it's in development.

Come on people, you can at least read the previous comments... this isn't a Doom story with 100+ replies. It was already stated very clearly by Teddy:
SWAT: Urban Justice != SWAT 4

SWAT 4 has NOT been "in development hell for years" or ever been "under the title 'Urban Justice'". The official SWAT 4 announcement was made at the end of April this year. The general public has known of the existence of SWAT 4 for a little over four months.

This comment was edited on Sep 4, 23:27.

15. Re: No subject Sep 4, 2004, 22:03  Ken Levine 

We actually have 3 dev teams: Tribes, SWAT and Freedom Force vs The Third Reich...We're all grown up now!

-Ken Levine

14. No subject Sep 4, 2004, 20:00 Elf Shot The Food

"Odd that they are doing it at the same time as T:V though, I didn't think they were big enough for developing two games at a time."

I think Irrational has two different development teams, one in Australia and one in the US.

13. Re: No subject Sep 4, 2004, 18:44 Jim

Honestly, does anyone care about this game anymore?]Honestly, does anyone care about this game anymore?

I do. I still play SWAT3 coop occasionally. I'm a bit more skeptical of the game now than I was when it was under the title "Urban Justice," so I will be looking for the demo before I buy.

This "update" doesn't say much though.

Edit: forgot to close quote tag

This comment was edited on Sep 4, 18:50.

Jim

12. Re: No subject Sep 4, 2004, 18:00 Bunko

Sorry about the trolling. I was just wondering because this game has been in development hell for years and I keep forgetting it's in development. Interesting that Irrational is doing it. I wonder how it will turn out.

We bury our sins here, Dave. We wash them clean.
This comment was edited on Sep 4, 18:01.

Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

11. . Sep 4, 2004, 17:35 seenitall

erm, I missed swat 1-3

10. Is the Sierras version of TF2? Sep 4, 2004, 16:19 Darknight

Or has SWAT gone to valve too now? I remember 2, maybe 3 years ago when i played SWAT3 (elite CO-OP of course, not any kharky deathmatch stuff) Urban Justice was in the making back then, i cant believe that they are just starting again...

SWAT3 anyone? SWAT4... as if.

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo