Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

TRIBES FP Beta

The TRIBES Vengeance multiplayer beta previously only available to paid FilePlanet subscribers (story) has been opened up to all with a registered FilePlanet account. Word is: "VU Games brings FilePlanet registered users the chance to participate in a beta test for the highly anticipated Tribes: Vengeance! The ultimate high-flying multiplayer FPS battle experience returns with deadlier weapons, enhanced jetpacks featuring faster and more versatile flight and in-depth strategic team action for up to 32 players."

View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

42. Re: So glad I waited Sep 4, 2004, 22:52 L0cky

Does this beta still have the bug where it causes a total system lock?

Yup, I haven't played it longer than 20 minutes without having to reboot. It hangs when you use a supply station, which I guess is the same as the older beta.

Strangely most players don't seem to have this problem.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

41. Re: So glad I waited Sep 4, 2004, 17:38 Muscular Beaver

Enjoy? I enjoyed a lot in the past but right now I am enjoying Operation Flashpoint again. CS 1.5 was nice for some quick games. And even T:V is nice right now for some quick game(s). I guess it will replace CS for now. I might even consider buying it if Valve fucks up CS:S. It is still not a game which I would join a clan for again or spend 12h a day on weekends playing it. As I said, its pretty easy and quick to learn, just like CS (maybe its just because I played so much T1 and T2), and so its perfect for those short games. I tried the Battlefields but I dont like the low visibility range and the controls. I dont play much online right now anyway because my ping on most servers is totally fucked up. Need to get a faster connection first (and maybe get rid of that WLAN).
Oh and I really like the vehicles this time in T:V. they are not too strong. They are just right and fun to drive/fly.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I also enjoy Natural Selection and Soldat.

________
I don't like arguing. Why can't we all just get along instead of fighting and arguing?
This comment was edited on Sep 4, 17:50.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

40. i like T:V Sep 4, 2004, 16:48 chiisu81

as a longtime T1 player (never did get into T2 due to bugs), I find T:V to be pretty enjoyable. The skiing is fairly fast, and of course the graphics are nice. My only beef is the fixed weapon slots across all 3 armors. The only advantage? Heavies are a helluva lot faster now, and the jetpack charges pretty quick. Not sure if this is balanced by less armor overall.....

"I find your lack of faith disturbing." - Darth Vader

Smile Like You Mean It

39. Re: So glad I waited Sep 4, 2004, 16:38 sc4r4b

So I have yet to really get into it because my RAM decided to take a dump on me this week...

I fired it up today for a little while... I'll save my impressions for later after I have invested more time in it.

BEAVER- I know we have been back and forth with the Tribes topic and I was just wondering, what teambased on-line MP games besides Tribes do you enjoy?

38. Re: So glad I waited Sep 4, 2004, 07:13 Muscular Beaver

It is fast, not as fast as T1, but still quite decent. It is pretty dumbed down again tho, yes. Learning air discs, grappler and buckler is quite easy, so we will see the 1337 h4x0rZ again quickly who think they own just because they master those. IMO there is not as much skill involved as in T1, heck not even as in T2. The maps are too small and sometimes youre caught in a base rape loop. Perfect for those little newbie kiddies. But maybe there are much larger maps in the final. Another thing that bothered me is the lack of real 3D sound and the fucked up volume of some sounds. It happened a lot to me that there was someone behind me, shooting at me and I didnt even hear him, or thought it would be a complete different direction. I really hope this is fixed in the final, tho such big flaws in a sound engine isnt something you see every day in a late beta version, pre-alpha or alpha, yes.
I somehow agree its another UT with different features and weapons. At least it has this UT04 feeling, and even looks similar.
At first I thought, wow, finally a true skillbased game again but after a few hours of playing I felt pretty numb because it isnt challenging at all and very easy to learn. Tactic is nowhere seen, nor possible as before. Its simple TDM with some minor CTF involved. Maybe that will change aswell with the time, but I only would see that happen if there are maps which are a lot bigger. And I mean a lot.
Calling it fastfood gaming fits perfectly.
Anyway, I havent had any high hopes for this anymore when I noticed the T2 fanboys defending it. And I have to admit I was pretty naive to think it would reach T1, since the real skilled tactical harcore gamers are a minority and games nowadays seem to be made for the majority to at least get some cash in.
I still think its better than T2, because skiing and jetpacks are a little faster and there are some other things that are better done this time. Some things annoy the shit out of me tho, i.e. that stupid respawn screen they stole from Battlefield and all those other similar games.
It is a good game for a quick match if you have 30 mins of free time, though.

Flame me, Im ready for whatever insults, but dont be surprised if I dont answer those.

________
I don't like arguing. Why can't we all just get along instead of fighting and arguing?

This comment was edited on Sep 4, 07:17.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

37. Re: I should have this by tomorrow... Sep 4, 2004, 03:27 Hump

I play a lot of Halo multiplayer, and I see "gg" and "nice shot" all the time. Admittedly, I see stuff like "your mom is a fag" a lot, too.

rofl

----------------------------------------------------------------------
What Would Fred Do?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

36. More twitch less strategy, same great ta Sep 4, 2004, 01:38 DangerDog

No doubt T:V will receive a warm reception from the hard core competitive players for the most part, what I would call dumbing down they would call streamlining.

Only three weapon slots no matter what class you choose, no more health packs, no more personal mines, the way the whole deployable system works now (no more one man turret farming = yay for the return of the lone cowboy flag capper), energy packs with "boosters", passive repair packs, small maps to match players small attention spans er.. I mean to keep things action packed and faster paced, of course. I’m not sure why they even bothered with the goofy vehicles, competitive players wont have much use for them and will be removed soon enough with diligent mappers on the case.

I don’t know, maybe UT2004 with Jetpacks and Rollerblading will be cool, if they manage to fix the netcode, and the system crashing bugs.

35. Re: Damnit Sep 4, 2004, 01:37 Blashy

corrupt file, nice...

34. lamas Sep 4, 2004, 01:06 Steele Johnson

I don't care who plays it first. When it gets on store shelves, I'm going to eat everyone's ass that's in my way. Yummy

33. Re: So glad I waited Sep 4, 2004, 00:56 Shataan

I used to love Tribes 1 as well. And did try this new beta. But it didn`t grab me. Can`t say why. Way back tho, games seemed to me to be very different from each other. Tribes Vengeance felt to me like a jet packing UT2K4 for some odd reason. It felt very "been there, done that". Meh.

"It plays like UT2004 with Jetpacks, only the netcode blows 100% more."

Yeah it felt like this to me as well. I would like to add that NO, Developers do not use the tried and true gameplay design of the earlier games ala Tribes 1. The sad thing is this, the Devs are aiming their sights at the dough of the kiddie gamers. 11 to 18 group. This translates into fastfood gaming.

And THAT translates into quaker games with next to no real depth. Look at Novalogic. BHD and Joint Ops was made for kiddies. Novas games hardly resemble their stellar earlier vintage titles ala DF 1 and DF 2.
Game Developers are dumbing their games down faster than you can shake a stick at them. lol The developers are killing their own market. No wonder the consoles are taking over.

This comment was edited on Sep 4, 01:03.

32. Re: So glad I waited Sep 3, 2004, 23:14 Nefilim

I played T1 a little and T2 a lot, and I really wish the hardcore T1 whingers would disappear in a black hole. They have a T1 obsession because it was their first Tribes experience, not because it was "perfection". They sound just like the monomaniacs who hated Quake 2 because it didn't play like QuakeWorld.

I've been looking forward to Tribes Vengeance more than I have to any other FPS in years, and I hope it plays nothing like T1 just to spite the T1 fascists.

Actually, the vast majority of Tribes 1 (and T2) vets LOVE T:V. DangerDog is maybe the THIRD person I've seen not like it, and I've been in closed beta since the begining. This game is stellar, and it's only going to get better.

31. Re: So glad I waited Sep 3, 2004, 23:09 Nefilim

Boy I'm glad I didn't jump the gun and pay FP $6.95 or whatever for THIS. It plays like UT2004 with Jetpacks, only the netcode blows 100% more. Yeah, I know it's beta, blah,blah,blah - but if they can't even have decent net code at this point the rest of the game isn't even worth looking at. Suppose to be released next month, good luck with that one. The skiing doesn't feel like skiing it's more like sliding on a slippery surface activated with your spacebar (as in total lack of control, especially side to side) Did these guys even "try" to emulate the Tribes 1 feel, no! They went out and tried to do something "different", well guess what guys - you can't improve on perfection and Tribes 1 was it. Good luck to the rest of the fan boys who like this dumbed down abomination to the Tribes franchise, you’re going to need it.

You sir, are a complete and utter moron.

30. Re: So glad I waited Sep 3, 2004, 23:05 Learned Hand

The skiing doesn't feel like skiing it's more like sliding on a slippery surface activated with your spacebar (as in total lack of control, especially side to side) Did these guys even "try" to emulate the Tribes 1 feel, no! They went out and tried to do something "different", well guess what guys - you can't improve on perfection and Tribes 1 was it.

I played T1 a little and T2 a lot, and I really wish the hardcore T1 whingers would disappear in a black hole. They have a T1 obsession because it was their first Tribes experience, not because it was "perfection". They sound just like the monomaniacs who hated Quake 2 because it didn't play like QuakeWorld.

I've been looking forward to Tribes Vengeance more than I have to any other FPS in years, and I hope it plays nothing like T1 just to spite the T1 fascists.

This comment was edited on Sep 3, 23:07.

29. Re: I should have this by tomorrow... Sep 3, 2004, 23:04 DDI

Tribes V plays just like the Tribes I remember... get over it you retarded fanboy

28. Re: I should have this by tomorrow... Sep 3, 2004, 22:57 Learned Hand

It seems like the days of "GG" and "nice shot" are gone.

I play a lot of Halo multiplayer, and I see "gg" and "nice shot" all the time. Admittedly, I see stuff like "your mom is a fag" a lot, too.

This comment was edited on Sep 3, 23:09.

27. Oh My God Sep 3, 2004, 22:45 Overon

I downloaded it form fileplanet only to find that during the installation it determined that the fucking file was fucking corrupt. FUCK YOU FILEPLANET FUCK YOU.

26. Re: SP2 vs. the plug-ins Sep 3, 2004, 22:45 Raid

Does this beta still have the bug where it causes a total system lock?

25. Re: Damnit Sep 3, 2004, 22:34 WarPig

If you are using any kind of firewall - try disabling it to see if that is the problem.

I don't know if I would recommend that one. Even though it might help this problem, these days turning off your firewall for even a couple minutes is like playing Russian roulette with your computer. It's a jungle out there!

Btw, I couldn't use the download manager (or whatever it's called) with Firefox - I had to switch to IE, which meant I had to re-submit all my info.

-------------------------------------------------------
What the hell, it's 5:00 somewhere.

GO SEAHAWKS!

24. Comment Sep 3, 2004, 21:18 Overon

I have read many netcode complaints about this current (and previous) tribes 3 betas. I also have read the Irratonal Games guys saying that they have done lots of things that haven't made it into this beta that optimizes the network performance. I have been burned with Tribes 2 in the past, so as a result I will not take the word of a developer when he/she says that their netcode no longer sucks. I hope there will be a real multiplayer demo with the final netcode that shows me whether tribes 3 netcode is good or bad. I won't take it on faith.
This comment was edited on Sep 3, 21:20.

23. Re: So glad I waited Sep 3, 2004, 21:01 mag

Well, at least you could have reused/emulated the same movement code from T1, oh wait - that's right, Sierra lost the source code to Tribes 1, good one. So what's your excuse going to be for the crap netcode? Same line? "You didn't expect us to remake Tribes 1 with better netcode?"

Your dev team has some real issues with wanting everything to be "different" and not reusing anything except a few core things like jetpacks and a few staple weapons from day one, that's fine – but the feeling of skiing shouldn't have changed at all except to make it faster perhaps, it's something that didn't need fixing or needed to be "different" as far as I’m concerned.

Good luck with your marketing plan though, Tribes Vengeance: Not as good as Tribes 1 but "different"

Hell hath no fury like a Tribes player scorned.

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo