Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I finally got to see League of Extraordinary Gentlemen on the satellite. Ouch. And I like comic book movies... I can't imagine how people who don't share that taste felt about this one (and I don't want to imagine what Alan Moore must think). On a happier note, I got to see Hero in the theater the other day. A good Jet Li movie... who knew? But I still have a vexing movie situation facing me: I have a free pass to see Alien versus Predator, but it's actually not playing at the local cineplex(?), meaning to see it I will have to (gasp) break with my movie routine. That's pretty drastic, we'll just have to see how that goes.

Links of the Day: NASA Fakes Moon Landing!
The AOL CD Preservation Guild & Museum.
AMD K6-2 350 3D MHz Computer. Thanks M. Please don't buy this.
Story of the Day: Store Clerk Accepts Fake $200 Bill, Makes Change.
Science!: As gridlock grows, scientists look at adding lanes in the sky.
Sorry, E.T., but Parcel Post May Beat Phoning Home (registration required).
X-rays unmask mummy's face, virtually.
Image of the Day: Anna Nicole Smith a Farah, from Prince of Persia:The Sands of Time.
Auctions of the Day: 20 FULL P-GLASS GLOBAL SFX PROSTHETIC HUMAN EYE EYES. I just make eyes!
Green i-Mac computer 1999. Thanks Dr. StephanHeimer. Win98?
Thanks Mike Martinez

View
127 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

127. Re: AvP Sep 3, 2004, 07:44 Bronco

However, it is that final coating of polish that I think they are sorely lacking. If they could spend a good three to four months of tweaking this game from head to toe, it would SMASH every other MMOG out there. As it is, it will just be well liked. Yes, I am a total bastard aiming for near perfection!

This is what sooo many people have said. There is an additional level of detail that I don't think you will see in the stress test. Class balance is the hot topic among closed beta people.

I think the biggest lesson is to not be a night elf, at least not right now. My entire damn continent is a tree. Woe is me.

I tried to warn you! I also told everyone to stay away from Hunters.

Get on a boat and head across the pond. Stormwind is great. For level 10 I would say head for Westfall. Good quests to level up there. Great plot line and interelated quests as well. Culminating in a quest (known as VC for short) that is epic in length and a pain to complete. You may have some trouble accomplishing this as you will need to find the flight paths before you can use them requiring running across some higher level areas.

Playing in Darkshire right now...

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.com

http://www.shamings.com

-TPFKAS2S
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

126. Re: AvP Sep 3, 2004, 07:36 Bronco

Certainly, you can group and there are obviously plans to have a more worldy cohesion, but you can also opt to just clear out the quests one by one and you will naturally progress through the areas. This could be an issue in the long-term, you have to keep adding quests for the players, but it does give you soemthing to do and they are not the usual crappy randomly-generated quests.

The last patch supposedly layered in quite a few new quests in the newb areas. I don't see Blizzard dropping the ball on this one.

Level 10 and about 30 skill points to spare (with only 10 additional points tied up in skinning.)

My lvl 26 warrior has purchased the following skills:

Guns - 100 skill points
First aid (Appr) - 25 skill points
Engineering (Journeyman) - 75 skill points
Mining (Journeyman) - 100 skill points

I have roughly 60 skill points awaiting allocation. I approach leveling in this fashion now:

I try to obtain half of my XP from quests. The other half from grinding with other players. At this level, I can handle any yellow or green quest by myself in short order. I need partners for (Elite) quests. I find the people I want to do the Elite quests by grinding half my XP per level.

Everyone from BN in the stress test has got to play like crazy this weekend:

Blizzard will be holding a competition during the stress test to determine the three highest-level characters per class in both the Alliance and Horde factions. At the end of the stress test, three players of every Horde class and three players of every Alliance class will win entry into the World of Warcraft closed beta test. In the event of a tie, total experience accumulated will determine the ultimate winners.

From here:

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/

Looking forward to playing for a LONG time this weekend.

-TPFKAS2S

-TPFKAS2S

125. Re: AvP Sep 3, 2004, 06:00 Muscular Beaver

Having hunted down forty-eight spiders just to get the ten legs

Sounds more like EverQuest.

________
I don't like arguing. Why can't we all just get along instead of fighting and arguing?

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

124. Re: AvP Sep 3, 2004, 05:25 Ray Marden

Level 10 and about 30 skill points to spare (with only 10 additional points tied up in skinning.)

I will say this for WoW; what does right, something that most MMRPGs fail at, is having a single-player story set in an online world.

Certainly, you can group and there are obviously plans to have a more worldy cohesion, but you can also opt to just clear out the quests one by one and you will naturally progress through the areas. This could be an issue in the long-term, you have to keep adding quests for the players, but it does give you soemthing to do and they are not the usual crappy randomly-generated quests.

This is basically how I have played the game, though I will have to start doing a few groupings, and I have now cleared about 70% of my (crappy) continent. Of course, my continent is more like a big island compared to the two main, large continents.

Meanwhile, the lag is a non-issue. I had the HL2 pre-load going the whole time I was playing (now at 98.7% - w00t) and things were perfectly fine.

Having hunted down forty-eight spiders just to get the ten legs :|,
Ray

-----
A locked copy of Half-Life 2 is now on your computer.
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

123. Re: BG2 Sep 3, 2004, 04:42 Muscular Beaver

I agree with that. BG series has to be played. I still wish they would make a patch for BG1 so that it will run with 1024x768. BG1 was better than BG2. It was so massive that it could have been an MMORPG.

________
I don't like arguing. Why can't we all just get along instead of fighting and arguing?

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

122. BG2 Sep 3, 2004, 02:07 CreamyBlood

blah blah blah

I am no RPG connoisseur, but I know what I like. Get SMA or m19 to praise all that is RPG to you.

Having said that, I do think that the Baldur's Gate series was the last truly great, epic RPG release for the PC. Certainly, newer games have spiffier graphics and you have to respect the first-person RPG's like Morrowind in their own light, but I think every RPG fan should play the Baldur's Gate series.

Stopping WoW; thinking the HL2 pre-load comes before everything ,
Ray

Well, cool. I thought I was on the right track, that's all I really wanted to know. Really. Thnaks man.

121. Re: No subject Sep 2, 2004, 23:58 Bunko

Was there a convention? Which quest was that? In what town? Did you need to use skill points?
You've got to be a member of the Politician's Guild and be AT LEAST level 10 to attend these conventions. Your skills of deception and persuasion must be very high to even get considered to join the guild. And no skill points required, but your karma might take a hit.

We bury our sins here, Dave. We wash them clean.

Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

120. Re: No subject Sep 2, 2004, 23:54 Ray Marden

Was there a convention? Which quest was that? In what town? Did you need to use skill points?

Having my priorities straight,
Ray

-----
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

119. No subject Sep 2, 2004, 23:52 Bunko

It pains me to say this but that was actually a decent speech by GWB. I'm undecided on his domestic initiatives especially considering I'm not exactly sure how he is supposed to pay for them. His foreign policy dealio was same-ole, although slighlty less offensive than usual. The biggest part of his speech was near the end where he actually admitted he had qualities not everyone likes. I bet that helped him a lot.

I feel like I'm drifting to the right. After the DNC, I felt more leftist. I guess these guys are good at their jobs.

Well, John Kerry just got a hard pass to the chest and the ball is in his court now. Let's see what he can do.

We bury our sins here, Dave. We wash them clean.

Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

118. Re: More stories o' the day Sep 2, 2004, 23:47 WarPig

So WarPig, had any Birthday cake lately?

So Batman can't get lonely every now and then? Batman can't want to feel included? Ya know, maybe Batman <sob> might <sob> need to <sob> hear the laughter of LITTLE CHILDREN SOME TIME! J'ever think maybe, just maybe ... OH JUST FORGET ABOUT IT.

-------------------------------------------------------
What the hell, it's 5:00 somewhere.

GO SEAHAWKS!

117. Re: Dumb Ass Politics Sep 2, 2004, 23:41 Ray Marden

I am no RPG connoisseur, but I know what I like. Get SMA or m19 to praise all that is RPG to you.

Having said that, I do think that the Baldur's Gate series was the last truly great, epic RPG release for the PC. Certainly, newer games have spiffier graphics and you have to respect the first-person RPG's like Morrowind in their own light, but I think every RPG fan should play the Baldur's Gate series.

Stopping WoW; thinking the HL2 pre-load comes before everything :D,
Ray

-----
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

116. Re: AvP Sep 2, 2004, 23:35 Ray Marden

I don't know, maybe the night elves just suck outright.

I have been playing, but I spent the last hour just trying to get eight seeds. Eight, that is all. But, that took about sixteen to twenty spawns to get them all. Those, with the long respawn times and freaking PCs everywhere, took a good hour. All for five-hundred experience and a bracelet that was about half the power of what I already had.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

I wish that, when attacking, my character would halt auto-running. Only when I do the charge attack does my character immediately go into combat. Otherwise I start a fight and keep on running, taking damage in the process.

The draw-in of enemies and PCs is annoying, but for different reasons. If I was playing on a PvP server, the PC draw-in would be completely unacceptable. As for enemies, it is just incredibly annoying to finally find a monster, run halfway there, and then find a PC already attacking it. What what I listed in my first paragraph, it is just pushing me over the edge.

I will have to try out skinning, though I am about one or two towns out from it. Is that the kind of thing that uses skill points? I do need to find out what the difference is in training with the warrior and using my skill points, but that will have to wait.

Leveling has slowed, I am only level seven now, though that is more due to the insane mob respawn issues than anything else. I am actually trying to clear things out in order now...

Back to my original view distance woes, it is better than my first run through. The view distance is a bit farther than it was in the first game (not sure if they updated something or my video settings were not updating correctly,) but I have encounted a few more bugs now - quests not working, NPCs floating halfway through the level, NPCs that were missing earlier now showing up, etc.

Again, I am trying to make a fine distinction. The game - just getting it up and running - is doing amazingly well. They could release it today and it would be more functional than a majority of the MMOGs out there right now.

However, it is that final coating of polish that I think they are sorely lacking. If they could spend a good three to four months of tweaking this game from head to toe, it would SMASH every other MMOG out there. As it is, it will just be well liked. Yes, I am a total bastard aiming for near perfection!

I think the biggest lesson is to not be a night elf, at least not right now. My entire damn continent is a tree. Woe is me.

Rushing, bleeding, and then power attacking,
Ray

-----
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

115. Re: AvP Sep 2, 2004, 22:58 Bronco

First off, somewhere in this post I think you mention having problems with your pet. As I have stated previously, THE PETS ARE BROKEN!

Now...

I am not talking about traveling to waypoints so much as making waypoints, i.e. markers for certain locations. Besides being completely fictional, they are very similar to one another, at least in the night-elf forest. I had a hard time keeping track of who Tilridiam was versus Tilrodum - I would give anything to just make a note on the map with the NPCs location. SWG lets you make all the waypoints you want and, upon taking a quest, you have instant access to waypoints for the current quest item - from start to finish.

As I said in my previous post, the NE area has a poor reputation as a starting point. Many people rave about the layout, quests, overall feel of the Tauren start. Give it a whirl.

It is even more frustrating not having markers, either automatically or manually, for all the items - spider cave, main hall, quest marker, etc. The game hurts graphically. I realize that Warcraft has always been a bit cartoon-like, but it is frustrating trying to accomplish anything given the blurry graphics, lack of lighting, extremely close fog (again, I have everything at max - I feel sorry for the people at default or that need to scale it back,) any enemies/items that appear relatively close the player. I understand the need to minimize geometry and detail, but this happens much too close right now and I still think certain things should always be visible, even if in a low-detail version.

I'm running it maxed as well. It hasn't bothered me but to each their own.

What is the point of the map systems? The world maps are ridiculously lacking in detail and the local map cannot be expanded and has little to no detail on it. Green, green, black line, green, brown bump, green. Perhaps this is all specific to the night-elves, but talk about being pointless.

Part of the map system was broken with the last patch. It wasn't much better than before but it has been reset for everyone. Even though my map has been blanked I remember where stuff is. I do agree that the map system needs help.

As already noted, picking the actual server was a similar experience. I guessed the swords meant PvP, but nothing on the screen said anything. Is one closer to me geographically? Who knows? Does one ping particularly well? Who knows?

I'm sure this kind of feedback is important to the Blizzard team. When I load up my beta I see just two realms, PVP and BETA server. Easy for me to know what they are. Ping does not matter to me as I only have one choice for PVE action.

As a side note, the latency meter was broken with the last patch - FYI.

I do think they need better quest management. As it stands, it just feels like "Screw it, quests are everywhere, just do those all day long!" Just leaving the original NE forest enclosure and heading toward the next town/city, you easily have fifteen NPCs within a one-minute period. Again, this is not too terrible (though definitely taking away from the roleplaying experience,) but what am I supposed to do when coming back from a quest? Crap, which of these fifteen immediate people, much less the other twenty throughout the immediate area, gave me this quest? Are you Jipikia? No? You? OH YOU,...oh crap, that is Jeklia. <searching>

I have had a few occasions when I've lost track of a quest. At the same time I will try to run them as I get them as many (at least in the human and dwarven start points) advance the plot.

I am not trying to take credit away from the work that the "Cosmos" team has done, but I would argue that it is an instant sign of how poorly navigation and organization are handled in-game.

I found it interesting that Blizzard would be willing to allow the interface to be modified by outsiders.

For the quests I am doing, grouping up seems a bit silly right now. We are talking about killing five or ten or whatever mob. It worries me that the grouping is setup the way you described - either they realized the monster populations/quests requirements/PCs were completely out of whack or there is going to be a lot of "Just joing up for the ride" going on.

I was trying to give you an alternative to watching casters steal kills. I didn't begin to group seriously till I was in the mid teens.

Likewise, that does not deal with the combat issues I described. I try to be a fairly helpful player, but things do need to be juggled a bit. I saw a level one PC take on a level six spider and he started running after the first hit - I went out of my way to help him. Only being level three or four at the time, it was a tough battle. At the end, I had just the slightest amount of hitpoints.....and absolutely no XP. Likewise, I have had situations where another player has come to my aid and they received nothing. Basically, everybody was going around and flagging a mob the instant it appeared - nobody else could join in (unless forcing the group issue again) and, barring the nice people like me, there was no incentive to help one another. Speaking of all that, how is group XP handled? If we are grouped and kill one spider, will we still all get the full XP we would normally get or am I better off killing whatever I can on my own (dealing with PvE here, not quests?)

First hit gets the XP. Don't know if that will change or not. I still help lower level characters that get in over the heads. Besides, monsters that are several levels below you (5 I think) earn you no XP anyway.

The "one location for all" just seems really drab, is one less option you have, and means certain locations start out extremely over-populated. At least give me...the first three towns or so to start in or a selection of areas. In addition to the good/evil sides, do all the races hate one another? Otherwise, why can there not be a mixed city? Why can I not be a special night elf that, for some reason, ended up living in the dwarven city? It was just one more thing that was lacking.

That may change later on...also there will be a crush at the beginning of the game but later on the new areas clear out. Go onto the beta server tonight and you would see that the NE starting town is a ghost town.

Now, what is a good way for beginners to make money? I noticed a few mobs had money on them, but most do not. I never got into the advanced profession items (skinning, fishing, whatever) and was just selling the normal junk that I got from animals (though I am not sure why tigers would have chain boots, but I digress...)

Read my notes on skill points. If you are looking for a skill that can earn you money early on go with skinning. You are killing animals to earn XP and you can skin them at the same time. You can even skin animals that you did not kill yourself if they have been looted of their items by the player that did kill them.

Just a question, but what is leveling like as you get higher up? I am obviously dealing with small mobs here, but I am already three-quarters of the way to hitting level six in what was just under two hours of playing.

If you are leveling that quick you are most likely questing a lot. I did this at first and found out that I had little or no skill points because of this. Do yourself a favor and read the link to my page in the earlier post. It explains the system as best I can. If you still need more info I will be happy to provide it. As for the higher level experience. I'm level 26 now (it does slow down) and I'm finding grouping a much better play experience than solo. It is interesting to work together as a team. This brings in another layer to the game as well. As a warrior and being a tank, I have to choose my skills, weapon style, and talent points to enhance my abilities as a tank. With the set-up I have now I'm actually more effective as a group player than solo. I figure if I'm in a group I should contribute as much as possible.

Ultimately, it is very functional and the stress test is going amazingly well - this is an early test, yet the lag/connection issues are non-existent which is better than many "experienced" MMOGs these days. Honestly? I would hope that Blizzard would hold back the game for at least six months and just polish the hell out of it. Unfortunately, they do need to - there is a fairly significant "fanatical" section of Blizzard fans, newcomers may not be aware of the relative issues, and the game is functional. It is just lacking in so many small details that I know, wish some polish, it could be a lot more than it is right now.

All of the people I play with that have beta'd other MMORPGs have commented as to how far along Blizzard is.

Here is the list of what they are working on now:

--Winterspring (53-60 exterior zone)
--Eastern Plaguelands (53-60 exterior zone)
--Western Plaguelands (50-58 exterior zone)
--Blackrock Spire (55+ elite dungeon)
--Stratholme (55+ dungeon)
--Scholomance - School of Necromancy (55+ instance)
--Thousand Needles revamp
--Ashenvale revamp
--Desolace revamp
--Stonetalon Peak revamp
--More talents (classes to be announced!)
--Tradeskills to 60 and tradeskill quests
--Class polish, balance and addition of new spells/abilities
--PvP reward system
--PvP Battlegrounds
--Tons of new art: icons, monsters, armor, weapons
--More world maps and city maps
--New micro-dungeons (to replace old, duplicate ones) - the new Raven Hill crypts are awesome
--Raid groups (drag and drop group management - raid leaders rejoice, woot~)
--Raid instancing
--AI Polish and Features
--Animation Polish
--Bug fixes and Balance -- ONGOING

Please note, not all of these things will definitely make the next patch. For example, I can promise you that Blackrock Spire will be in but if Stratholme is not *ready enough* we'll hold it until the patch after next.

This is just to give you an idea of a small fraction of our current workload here at Blizzard =)

Waiting to hear more people's opinions.

-TPFKAS2S

This comment was edited on Sep 2, 23:02.

-TPFKAS2S

114. Re: More stories o' the day Sep 2, 2004, 22:56 Enahs

Ohh I got one!

So WarPig, had any Birthday cake lately?

_____
Enahs
Thatís a deep kiss too, like the Europeans. You know the French they have to unhinge their jaw to show love.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

113. Re: More stories o' the day Sep 2, 2004, 22:53 WarPig

Oh no... WarPig... was it, um, was the victim any relation?

C'mon now complicity, that joke was just silly and frankly was beneath you.

You know I'm not Vietnamese.

<insert Porky Pig and pig in a poke joke here>

You don't see the old "crime against nature" charge that much anymore. It's scary to say that there probably isn't an animal on earth that some guy isn't thinking, "mmmm, nice ass".

GO SEAHAWKS!

112. Re: More stories o' the day Sep 2, 2004, 22:34 complicity

This guy must change his name and move
Oh no... WarPig... was it, um, was the victim any relation?

A message of hope to those who choose to hear it,
and a warning to those who do not.

111. More stories o' the day Sep 2, 2004, 22:27 WarPig

Bruce Wayne hits hard times.
http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-party30.html

This guy must change his name and move (when he gets out). No other options, except maybe suicide.
http://www.thenewsstar.com/localnews/html/ECB23D8A-47A8-403A-BBC6-AB8EC27AA280.shtml

GO SEAHAWKS!

110. Re: Dumb Ass Politics Sep 2, 2004, 21:24 CreamyBlood

Dude, I dind't realize what you were talking about until I got to the end, this is WoW, right? Anyways, I'm playing Baldurs Gate 2 right now and am having a blast. I haven't even made it out of the second dungeon yet.

It sounds like you're quite the 'conisoor' (go ahead and spell it, I don't care), in this kind of thing, so should I continue? I have the feeling that BG2 is the best thing that's ever happened to gamers. I'm really starting to like it. What's your take on it?

Sincerely,

CreamyBlood

109. Re: Dumb Ass Politics Sep 2, 2004, 21:12 Ray Marden

That's all politics and war.

I am talking about broadband.

That, my friend, is life and death!!!

;P,
Ray

-----
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

108. Re: AvP Sep 2, 2004, 21:11 Ray Marden

Note: Do not take this as an attack on the game. I am actually off to play more of it right now. This is all from the viewpoint of being frustrated with the lacking items and, especially, trying to share my original perceptions while playing.

I am not talking about traveling to waypoints so much as making waypoints, i.e. markers for certain locations. Besides being completely fictional, they are very similar to one another, at least in the night-elf forest. I had a hard time keeping track of who Tilridiam was versus Tilrodum - I would give anything to just make a note on the map with the NPCs location. SWG lets you make all the waypoints you want and, upon taking a quest, you have instant access to waypoints for the current quest item - from start to finish.

It is even more frustrating not having markers, either automatically or manually, for all the items - spider cave, main hall, quest marker, etc. The game hurts graphically. I realize that Warcraft has always been a bit cartoon-like, but it is frustrating trying to accomplish anything given the blurry graphics, lack of lighting, extremely close fog (again, I have everything at max - I feel sorry for the people at default or that need to scale it back,) any enemies/items that appear relatively close the player. I understand the need to minimize geometry and detail, but this happens much too close right now and I still think certain things should always be visible, even if in a low-detail version.

What is the point of the map systems? The world maps are ridiculously lacking in detail and the local map cannot be expanded and has little to no detail on it. Green, green, black line, green, brown bump, green. Perhaps this is all specific to the night-elves, but talk about being pointless.

There are a lot of people having problems with the hunter pets, but I presumed it was my own ignorance of the class. What are the current issues? Are they just broken outright?

Animation is generic, but that is about it. I see that it does have emotion commands (/slap, /smile, /lol, etc.,) but they are all really weak. Other than a text description on my end, you really cannot tell much anything is happening. Likewise, the sound effects are...lacking, if not non-existent. I expect something from /roar, not jus "You roar." Sorry, maybe it is just the ex-King of Wookiees in me.

Speaking of character personality, what a crappy creation system. We all look ridiculously alike, furthering the claustrophobic feeling of starting in the same location. Has anybody at Blizzard played other games? Heck, even SWG let you shape eyes, ears, noses, freaking gullets, tattoos, etc. Relatively, the WoW creation is pathetic and pointless.

As already noted, picking the actual server was a similar experience. I guessed the swords meant PvP, but nothing on the screen said anything. Is one closer to me geographically? Who knows? Does one ping particularly well? Who knows?

I do think they need better quest management. As it stands, it just feels like "Screw it, quests are everywhere, just do those all day long!" Just leaving the original NE forest enclosure and heading toward the next town/city, you easily have fifteen NPCs within a one-minute period. Again, this is not too terrible (though definitely taking away from the roleplaying experience,) but what am I supposed to do when coming back from a quest? Crap, which of these fifteen immediate people, much less the other twenty throughout the immediate area, gave me this quest? Are you Jipikia? No? You? OH YOU,...oh crap, that is Jeklia. <searching>

The immediate counter is to just take quests from one or two people. My immediate reply is why not just limit the amount of quest NPCs? At least in this NE area, it is way over the top. Likewise, let's say I am just working one quest at a time - in this case, I just want to make things as smooth as possible. Where is he/she again? Which direction? Wait, let me try to figure this out with a map that does not rotate with my character nor show any detail. Again, all minor stuff, nothing is broken outright, but completely lacking polish and quite irritating.

I am not trying to take credit away from the work that the "Cosmos" team has done, but I would argue that it is an instant sign of how poorly navigation and organization are handled in-game.

One-word names suck. If this is a RPG, let me at least have a last name, possibly some family history that I make up. What if I want to proclaim myself king? King Arthur sounds much nicer than just Arthur. Small, petty thing, but I would question why they do not allow at least one space in a name.

I will need to read about skill points sometime, though not right now. From what I had previously understood, you had X many skill points and you needed Y many points to take on a skill. If you played long enough, you would only get Z points so you have to manage them carefully. And yet...I had trainers teaching me things seemingly without deducting skill points or having anything to do with them. Is that correct? Are they actually using up my skill points and I am just not aware of this? Is there a screen that shows me the breakdown on all this?

Speaking of tutorials, the game is failing again. Some items do not have pop-up windows when you hover the cursor over them and some main sections really have no explanation what so ever. Relative to SWG, you had to tell the game to shut up and stop giving you all the information. However, it was nearly all available to you and there was a very deep holocron (thesaurus) system to help you with it. Again, just the pure lack of polish. There is some help in the game, but somebody needs to go back and help the help.

For the quests I am doing, grouping up seems a bit silly right now. We are talking about killing five or ten or whatever mob. It worries me that the grouping is setup the way you described - either they realized the monster populations/quests requirements/PCs were completely out of whack or there is going to be a lot of "Just joing up for the ride" going on.

Likewise, that does not deal with the combat issues I described. I try to be a fairly helpful player, but things do need to be juggled a bit. I saw a level one PC take on a level six spider and he started running after the first hit - I went out of my way to help him. Only being level three or four at the time, it was a tough battle. At the end, I had just the slightest amount of hitpoints.....and absolutely no XP. Likewise, I have had situations where another player has come to my aid and they received nothing. Basically, everybody was going around and flagging a mob the instant it appeared - nobody else could join in (unless forcing the group issue again) and, barring the nice people like me, there was no incentive to help one another. Speaking of all that, how is group XP handled? If we are grouped and kill one spider, will we still all get the full XP we would normally get or am I better off killing whatever I can on my own (dealing with PvE here, not quests?)

The "one location for all" just seems really drab, is one less option you have, and means certain locations start out extremely over-populated. At least give me...the first three towns or so to start in or a selection of areas. In addition to the good/evil sides, do all the races hate one another? Otherwise, why can there not be a mixed city? Why can I not be a special night elf that, for some reason, ended up living in the dwarven city? It was just one more thing that was lacking.

Now, what is a good way for beginners to make money? I noticed a few mobs had money on them, but most do not. I never got into the advanced profession items (skinning, fishing, whatever) and was just selling the normal junk that I got from animals (though I am not sure why tigers would have chain boots, but I digress...)

By the time I really picked up on and started focusing solely on the quests, they were all giving me crap items compared to what I was getting from the mobs or had already purchased myself.

Just a question, but what is leveling like as you get higher up? I am obviously dealing with small mobs here, but I am already three-quarters of the way to hitting level six in what was just under two hours of playing.

Ultimately, it is very functional and the stress test is going amazingly well - this is an early test, yet the lag/connection issues are non-existent which is better than many "experienced" MMOGs these days. Honestly? I would hope that Blizzard would hold back the game for at least six months and just polish the hell out of it. Unfortunately, they do need to - there is a fairly significant "fanatical" section of Blizzard fans, newcomers may not be aware of the relative issues, and the game is functional. It is just lacking in so many small details that I know, wish some polish, it could be a lot more than it is right now.

Having added my "Note:" to add reference; off to play,
Ray

-----
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

127 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo