Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Gold - CoD: United Offensive

Activision announces that the United Offensive expansion for Call of Duty is now gold, and the continuance of the game's World War II action will ship to North American stores on September 14. Here's more of today's flood of yellow text:

Santa Monica, CA - Sept. 1, 2004 - Activision, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATVI) announced today that Call of Duty(tm): United Offensive(tm) - the expansion pack to Infinity Ward's highly acclaimed Call of Duty(tm), which has received over 80 Game of the Year and 50 Editors' Choice Awards worldwide - has gone gold and will ship to retail outlets nationwide on Sept. 14. The cinematic intensity of the Call of Duty brand reaches unprecedented heights in Call of Duty: United Offensive by delivering more action than ever before. This robust expansion pack features a total of 13 all-new single player missions filled with new weapons, player abilities and special effects, as well as an expanded multiplayer experience introducing 11 new maps and three new modes of play. Developed by Gray Matter Interactive Studios, Call of Duty: United Offensive is rated "T" (Teen - Blood, Mild Language, Violence) by the ESRB and will carry a suggested retail price of $29.99.

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. CoD is alright with me! Sep 1, 2004, 23:42 MuzixMon

I'm all over this game! This is a definate purchase the day it comes out. CoD was just pure gaming greatness and I loved every min of it (Just wish there were more mins). Everyone who gave this game 'awards' can't be wrong, it got everything it deserved! I just hope the new developers of this expansion do it as well as the original did.

"When all thats left is console gaming, I will game no more."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Hey September 14 Sep 1, 2004, 21:26 Scottish Martial Arts

WWII shooters are making my eyes bleed, and not in a good way.

I have nothing against the WWII setting per se, it's just these Medal of Honor clones that piss me off. I am looking forward to BiA, it looks as if it might actually have gameplay designed around what makes the setting so interesting instead of doing a HL1 total conversion.

28. Re: COD Sep 1, 2004, 21:10 DigitalBiscuit

Oh goodie, more arcade corridor action on miniature sized maps running on a dated, albeit tweaked engine.

BiA and PA are certainly on my radar, and although I already own CoD - definitely going to pass on this one.

27. Re: COD Sep 1, 2004, 20:15 Big_Bear

The real saving Grace for the Orginal COD was the Soviet Missions totaly different from any other kind of World War 2 FPS. Plus it was nice to play as some else other than the US in a World War 2 FPS

Hoping this game has even more Soviet missions it in.

Pc Zone Uk have already reviewed and they gave it 87%, they mentioned a mission where you are a gunner in a bomber and you have to fend off attacks from Enemy planes.

This comment was edited on Sep 1, 20:19.

26. COD Sep 1, 2004, 19:16 Monty

Give me coop and I will buy it, otherwise no thanks, sick to the back teeth of this garbage.

25. Re: Hey September 14 Sep 1, 2004, 19:16 Teddy

think I'm the only guy that loathed Call of Duty as a completely banal experience

No, make that two guys.

Three.

24. Re: Very nice Sep 1, 2004, 18:50 Creston

As if any award, short of the Nobel Prize, are actually worth jack squat

Not to bust anyone's balls here, or dash anyone's hopes, but the Nobel Prize is probably the biggest fucking joke of all. For fuck's sake, they awarded it to Yasser Arafat, repeat YASSER FUCKING ARAFAT!!!!! one year.

And also to Kofi Anan, who's the fucking worst president / chief / CEO / poster boy the UN has ever had. Maybe he could be on TV a bit more, since he seems to enjoy it so much.

The Nobel Prize...

Creston

PS : That's the peace price I'm talking about. Some of the others are actually decent, although mostly it's just an overhyped ceremony same as the Oscars.

Edit : Zpeling

This comment was edited on Sep 1, 18:52.

23. Hey September 14 Sep 1, 2004, 18:43 Creston

That's the third game scheduled to come out that day. Once more, publishers manage to not release anything for months, then release everything ALL AT FUCKING ONCE.

Good stuff publisher, nice to know you're still all completely retarded.

Not that I have any interest in this expansion, but it's still stupid.

Creston

think I'm the only guy that loathed Call of Duty as a completely banal experience

No, make that two guys. WWII shooters are making my eyes bleed, and not in a good way. WTF ever happened to good current day shooters, or futuristic shooters? That 'you can't reload this rifle until it's empty' garbage in Medal of Honor made my balls shrivel. I don't want to kill nazis with 60 year old piece of shit guns, I want to do so with neat looking OICWs that have zoom and rangefinders.

Maybe everyone else here is actually 80 years old and longs for the good old days of WW2?

This comment was edited on Sep 1, 18:46.

22. No subject Sep 1, 2004, 18:31 RazorWynd

"than 30 minutes in a 10 minute map bumbling around in the dark trying to shoot at critters that pop out of hidden walls and thin air."

why does everyone complain about it being dark in doom3?!?!?

wtf, its called a god damn flashlight idiots
plus its supposed to be dark

fuckers! X|X|

Supporter of "The Only Good fredster Is A Dead fredster" fan club

The Former Leader and Victor of the rebel movement against the dark Lord Surewood and his fiendish cohorts(bunko)
This comment was edited on Sep 1, 18:31.

Supporter of "The Only Good fredster Is A Dead fredster" fan club

21. Re: Very nice Sep 1, 2004, 17:33 Sphinx

Every idiot has a game "review" site nowadays. And they all throw their awards around like candys. Game awards are nothing special anymore.

As if any award, short of the Nobel Prize, are actually worth jack squat (Blockbuster Video Award, Grammy's, MTV Video award).

While I will freely admit to being another idiot with a game review website, let it be known that Sphinx's Sanitarium will never give out awards.

At least not until these game companies start sliding money under the table. Then my ability to sell out will be greater than even a has-been athlete like Joe Namath or Johnny Bench.

http://www.sphinx-sanitarium.com

20. Re: Very nice Sep 1, 2004, 17:30 Wolfox

Well, I've played CoD the first time on the Veteran level (second to hardest) and I found it to be much more fun that way (I tried the demo on all difficult levels). The only level that gave me problems was the Russian house one already mentioned here. It was frustrating to say the least; I had to do something that I hate to do in other games, that is taking advantage of a glitch in the game to solve a situation.

19. nah Sep 1, 2004, 17:20 subx

While there certainly were some nice bits in SP CoD, I did find the gameplay a bit repetitive after a while, and somewhat simplistic too. The map design in MP was a real let down I think, they all seemed to be circular DM style maps to the detriment of the teamplay games.

Also I always set games to their hardest level, I want value for money damit

18. Re: Very nice Sep 1, 2004, 16:10 Jow

I play just about every FPS at a higher skill level and while they've been more challenging, they're reasonably so. The Pavlov apartment level in particular at the higher level was a complete freaking disaster because it was basically an extremely repetitive trial-and-error process to determine where every single enemy was going to come from and where the very limited health packs were.

Just my opinion.

This comment was edited on Sep 1, 16:14.

17. Re: Very nice Sep 1, 2004, 15:43 Erratic

"So... you're setting the game at "higher skill levels" and then complaining that it was too hard? "

I game can be challenging and still be fun, but certain games like Call of Duty and Farcry are just annoying on the higher settings. Enemies that have amazing accuracy and somehow always know where you are does not constitute a challenging game. It's just something that pisses you off and requires a ton of trial and error. If developers are going to have multiple difficulty settings then they should take a few notes from Bungie, because what they did with Halo's difficulty settings is exactly how it should be done.

----------------------
- Erratic

This comment was edited on Sep 1, 15:52.

16. No subject Sep 1, 2004, 15:23 mbmonk

SP maps will be great, but the MP is what I am finding hard to swallow. They added CTF, wow, Assault, wow, and Domination, wow. Then the ranking system for Online gives players more grenades the better they do. So if you suck you get 1 grenade if you dont you get 3. Sounds like a headache for newbies.

I don't want to rip this game before the reviews. I am skeptical about it though. I hope the MP is good. If so I will pick this up. If not then maybe next edition.

15. Re: Very nice Sep 1, 2004, 15:14 Muscular Beaver

Every idiot has a game "review" site nowadays. And they all throw their awards around like candys. Game awards are nothing special anymore.

________
I don't like arguing. Why can't we all just get along instead of fighting and arguing?
This comment was edited on Sep 1, 15:14.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

14. Re: Very nice Sep 1, 2004, 15:09 Viranth

Awards are not what they used to be... 130 awards have CoD gotten, is it just me or is that just a lot for a game?

"Ok lads, we need 100+ awards before we can consider this a good product, only one award isn't enough, we want more!"

13. No subject Sep 1, 2004, 15:07 Elf Shot The Food

United Offensive: Featuring 33% more doors that can be opened!

12. Re: Very nice Sep 1, 2004, 14:54 Syntarsus

Geeze, people complain about Doom 3 but at least that some creepy atmosphere and a satisfying length going for it. At roughly 10 minutes a map, it's looking like CODUO will be about two and a half hours long.

Personally, I'd rather spend 10 minutes going through a 10 minute CoD map - without the addition of contrived stalling gimmicks - than 30 minutes in a 10 minute map bumbling around in the dark trying to shoot at critters that pop out of hidden walls and thin air.

11. Re: Very nice Sep 1, 2004, 14:54 7.62WorldOrder

I didn't loathe CoD exactly but at the higher skill levels I thought it was repetitive, annoying, and not very immersive. I've been playing FPS's for years with a decent level of skill but found myself dying and having to reload so frequently that it destroyed any feeling of immersion they tried to create... not to mention pissing me off.

So... you're setting the game at "higher skill levels" and then complaining that it was too hard?

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo