Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Half-Life 2 = Fool's Gold

A post to the HL2Fallout Forums purportedly from Valve's Gabe Newell raised a bit of a ruckus by predicting that a Half-Life 2 gold announcement would be coming Monday (thanks Borgie). A subsequent update on Shacknews, however, reveals that this post was faked, and not actually from Gabe. We are now prepared to land; Please return your stewardess to her original upright position.

View
55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

35. Re: Movie References... Aug 28, 2004, 17:36 Bronco

That's amazing! I've got the same combination on my luggage!

Is there a special edition of that available on DVD?

Has to be one of my favorite movies...

'How many assholes are there on this ship?'

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.com

http://www.shamings.com

-TPFKAS2S
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. . Aug 28, 2004, 17:23 seenitall

Wait, Gabe Newell and a security breach? I never would have beleived it!

Seriously though, where the HELL - and I mean where in the H E L L did they ever get September of '03?

33. Re: Maybe --maybe not.. Aug 28, 2004, 16:54 Ray Marden

http://www.forumplanet.com/planethalflife/topic.asp?fid=2348&tid=1467376

This is the first of a number of preload events. We'll be adding more data to the preload over the next couple of weeks. -Erik

Just waiting HL2 (and Myst IV ;P,)
Ray

-----
A locked copy of Half-Life 2 is now on your computer.
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

32. Maybe --maybe not.. Aug 28, 2004, 16:42 Yuzzem

Why the hell would VALVE release the preload for Half-Life 2 If the game wasn't to be going gold for a few more months. It would be pointless in doing so- the game should go next week. Just think of the stupidity for releasing it eary if the game wasn't ready... Then again this is Valve so im not suprised.

31. No subject Aug 28, 2004, 16:11 B M

A fool and his gold are soon parted.  

30. Re: haha Aug 28, 2004, 16:06 SM0k3

oh my god this is just effing ridiculous, i have never seen so much bullshit go on for a effing game. all this crap and it probably wont even be worth a damn by the time it comes out. lol

*/flame suit on*

29. Re: Movie References... Aug 28, 2004, 15:10 Cutedge

LOL, waiting for that old reference. Classic.

You know what would be funny shit though? If it went gold on monday anyway.

28. No subject Aug 28, 2004, 14:33 Elf Shot The Food

Five posts before someone said Gabe was fat? You guys are slipping.

27. Re: No subject Aug 28, 2004, 14:26 MeatForce

FFS, he set his own password to 'gaben'..

Holy crap, he did!! HAHHAAAA!

..there are youngsters signing up everyday to get degrees from MIT in "H4Xx0r8ting Valve", and he goes for 'gaben' as a PW??! LMAO!!

..still gonna be the BGE though

-----
"... this has ALL been done before, better and by people who are slightly more competent than a pack of one eyed gerbils on acid."

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

26. No subject Aug 28, 2004, 14:17 Acleacius

Haha, cant believe it was a fake, damn

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

25. Re: No subject Aug 28, 2004, 13:47 Hump

So tell me again why people are harshing on Gabe Newell for *not* posting the fake 'Going Gold' announcement? I'm confused.

I'm not bashing on the guy, I actually feel bad for him. granted, Valve made some bad mistakes but also note that hacking any of Valves work is a full time job for many, many Kevin Mitnick wanna-be's. Add to that jokesters who have been getting their rocks off by annoucing false gold dates and/or other false info to get the community riled up. A lot of this "damage control" ends up costing them big money by pulling them away from game development time.

Keep an eye on the hardcore HL community forums, over half will directly blame Valve for this current fiasco even though none of it was their fault.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
What Would Fred Do?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

24. Movie References... Aug 28, 2004, 13:47 Evil Timmy

/HL2 has been jammed.
//Suck suck suck.

23. Re: November 1st? Aug 28, 2004, 13:44 B M

Dear EBgames.com Customer,

Thanks for pre-ordering from EBgames.com! As an added benefit to ordering from us, we&#8217;ll keep you informed of ship date changes. We are writing to let you know that we have changed the projected ship date for Half-Life 2 to November, 1st 2004. The publisher did not provide us with a specific date so this is our best estimate only and should not be considered firm. We will update this date again as we receive new information. As always, EBgames.com will not charge your credit card until we ship your order.
---------------------------------------------------
Is it another code theft or did Gabe eat too many babies?

22. Re: No subject Aug 28, 2004, 13:38 Wazootyman

He better hope this game is the be all, end all of games because if the hype machine hits something at the speed it's moving at... POW.

Pow what?
There is no such thing as bad publicity... or so they say.

21. November 1st? Aug 28, 2004, 13:36 kanniballl

I just got the following email from ebgames.com

Dear EBgames.com Customer,

Thanks for pre-ordering from EBgames.com! As an added benefit to ordering from us, we&#8217;ll keep you informed of ship date changes. We are writing to let you know that we have changed the projected ship date for Half-Life 2 to November, 1st 2004. The publisher did not provide us with a specific date so this is our best estimate only and should not be considered firm. We will update this date again as we receive new information. As always, EBgames.com will not charge your credit card until we ship your order.

Here's to hoping they're wrong. I mean, I could understand October, but November? That friggin sucks.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurmama

This comment was edited on Aug 28, 13:36.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

20. Place your bets... Aug 28, 2004, 13:23 The Half Elf

20 bucks says Ray has a total breakdown before Half Life 2 goes gold.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

19. gaben Aug 28, 2004, 13:22 Cyfun

FFS, he set his own password to 'gaben', so this can easily be blamed on him.

18. No subject Aug 28, 2004, 12:58 B M

I think Gabe was out eating babies when (according to Valve, and we all know how truthful and honest they are) his account was hacked.  

17. No subject Aug 28, 2004, 12:57 WebDemon

Gabe probably ate somebody's baby and this is just revenge.
He better hope this game is the be all, end all of games because if the hype machine hits something at the speed it's moving at... POW.

16. Re: No subject Aug 28, 2004, 12:56 Bunko

This is what he gets for using Dunkin Donuts for a password.
That was really mean but also really funny.

But seriously, guys, why are your being so nasty to ol' Gabe? This wasn't really his fault.

We bury our sins here, Dave. We wash them clean.

Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo