Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Half-Life 2 = Fool's Gold

A post to the HL2Fallout Forums purportedly from Valve's Gabe Newell raised a bit of a ruckus by predicting that a Half-Life 2 gold announcement would be coming Monday (thanks Borgie). A subsequent update on Shacknews, however, reveals that this post was faked, and not actually from Gabe. We are now prepared to land; Please return your stewardess to her original upright position.

View
55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

55. Re: Just a thought Aug 30, 2004, 00:59 Elvis

Tired of HL2 taunting me from the Steam window

I hear that. The HL2 gold spoof didn't help. Someone from Valve posted on the steam forums today that more updates to the HL2 pre-load cache are coming out over the coming weeks.

Still thinking September for the pre-loaders...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

54. Re: Just a thought Aug 29, 2004, 23:22 Sixis

"As for Sixis, do not fear technology! Though it may take years and years, I think this is all inevitable. It has probably been a good year since I have been to the library, but I have looked up hundreds of things online."

See, what I've done instead of interior decorating is fill dozens of bookshelves with books (duh), game boxes, hardware boxes, game manuals, CDs, and DVDs. Walking around my house is like being inside an extremely smelly and dirty EB/Barnes and Nobles. I don't want to lose that feeling because everything is distributed over the net, it's killing the packrat in me

53. Re: Just a thought Aug 29, 2004, 16:12 Warhawk

Ultimately, there really needs to a standard. As much as I enjoy the idea of Steam, I do not want to have fifty different Steam-like applications, one for each developer. Unfortunately, this all implies more consolidation of the few companies out there...

Or it implies that Microsoft, as the predominant OS creator, might have to have a hand in things to get everyone on the same page.....

Now THAT might scare some of you. I personally appreciate the product that is WinXP Pro, even if it isn't perfect.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

52. Re: gaben...? Aug 29, 2004, 05:31 Hump

How can people say that this isn't Gabe's fault?

not that I need to defend the guy but what about the guy who made the post? he doesnt deserve some anger? or worse yet, how about HL2.net sending this out to every gaming site as legit? Given all the BS related to HL2 you'd think the powers that be at HL2.net would , at the very least, confirm this by emailing Gabe himself.

Lastly, I still have to laugh at just how angry/upset ppl are getting over a game. Time for a reality check.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
What Would Fred Do?

"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

51. Re: Just a thought Aug 29, 2004, 05:29 Ray Marden

Ultimately, there really needs to a standard. As much as I enjoy the idea of Steam, I do not want to have fifty different Steam-like applications, one for each developer. Unfortunately, this all implies more consolidation of the few companies out there...

As for Sixis, do not fear technology! Though it may take years and years, I think this is all inevitable. It has probably been a good year since I have been to the library, but I have looked up hundreds of things online. Likewise, I send very few letters via snail mail, but I send twenty or so e-mails a day.

That $50 price tag is an issue for games as well. Everything else is going up in price, even if only adhering to the basic rate of inflation, yet games have basically held that $50 price tag or have even experienced deflation with the increase of $20-$30 games. No doubt you can always have a big 'ol box with some crappy inserts sna cheap poster, but those will all cost etra (even if solely looking at percentage of income made from the final sale total) to the publisher/developer relative to online delivery.

Tired of HL2 taunting me from the Steam window :(,
Ray

-----
A locked copy of Half-Life 2 is now on your computer.
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

50. gaben...? Aug 29, 2004, 01:14 Cyfun

How can people say that this isn't Gabe's fault? Its not like this is the first time he's had HL2-related security problems *cough*9/30/03*cough*.

I mean, anyone who knows anything about password security knows NOT TO USE THEIR OWN F*********N NAME! He could of at least made it 'gabeN'.

Now can you honestly say that if you were screwing around on HL2Fallout forums and just for the hell of it, spent 10 minutes trying to guess his password, only to get it right after only 3 tries, you wouldn't take advantage of the situation?

This comment was edited on Aug 29, 01:19.

49. Re: Just a thought Aug 28, 2004, 22:22 MajorGeeks

Nah, more like an Independant Myself, all the boxes, manuals and crap usually just sit here and collect dust and spiderwebs more often then not, I do think being able to make a backup copy easily would be helpful (in the case of a format or an urge to reinstall a game) and a lot of newer games come with tutorials, which I personally prefer over a manual myself. I would love to see optional tutorials become the norm.

"I will never purchase a top of the line game without getting a physical box and my own CDs. I wouldn't mind ordering this over the internet if it made developers lives easier, but I still except a physical product for my 50 bucks.

That position doesn't make me a conservative, does it? "

http://www.majorgeeks.com

48. Re: Just a thought Aug 28, 2004, 20:37 Sixis

Hated Steam at first, still have some things I dislike, like the lack of online server browsing options thats 5 years behind the curve, but love it or hate it, I think it will someday be looked at as genius by companies selling a lot of games and considered the norm by us.

I will never purchase a top of the line game without getting a physical box and my own CDs. I wouldn't mind ordering this over the internet if it made developers lives easier, but I still except a physical product for my 50 bucks.

That position doesn't make me a conservative, does it?

47. No subject Aug 28, 2004, 20:33 Sixis

So I guess this means we can go from expecting a September 2005 release date to a November 2005 release date?

What happens when it turns out that Gabe's administrator password on Valve's internal server is also/still gaben?

46. Just a thought Aug 28, 2004, 20:08 MajorGeeks

Regarding the way they are pre-loading games now compared to the old school way of distributing a full demo on CD that can be unlocked. Once the CD is out, like Quake for example, thats it if your going to allow it to be unlocked. Everything has to be on the CD. With the popularity of internet, especially broadband thats all changing. With the pre-load concept, you can offer people a chance to download it in bits and pieces over a period of weeks and leave a few critical files out. Easier for modem users and on their own servers for gigantic releases. This way, you can pre-load all the files that are large like movies and images and save a few important, but critical files that would require the programmers knowledge, for last, which are downloaded only when you pay for it.

Hated Steam at first, still have some things I dislike, like the lack of online server browsing options thats 5 years behind the curve, but love it or hate it, I think it will someday be looked at as genius by companies selling a lot of games and considered the norm by us. I can see EA or Activision or other large game companies wanting in on a deal like that and using it as a selling point to companies who's games they distribute. Time will tell....

http://www.majorgeeks.com

45. like i said... Aug 28, 2004, 20:03 Hump

This Gabe guy is gotta be the biggest incompetent fool on the planet! I'm begining to understand how the beta leak and the HL2 script leak happened.

I

Wait, Gabe Newell and a security breach? I never would have beleived it!

rest

..there are youngsters signing up everyday to get degrees from MIT in "H4Xx0r8ting Valve", and he goes for 'gaben' as a PW??! LMAO!!

my

. Fat people are lazy. Furthermore, lazy people are to blame for Valve's security holes and general moronic actions these past couple years. All I'm asking is they shut down Valve or get rid of the fat people. That isn't much.

case....

-H

What Would Fred Do?

"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

44. Re: Movie References... Aug 28, 2004, 19:19 Bronco

That reminds me, we haven't seen a whole lot of JediLuke as of late.

I believe he is going to Carnegie Mellon and they should be starting back up soon.

That may have something to do with it.

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.com

http://www.shamings.com

-TPFKAS2S

43. Re: No subject Aug 28, 2004, 19:09 Mad Max RW

Five posts before someone said Gabe was fat? You guys are slipping.

Agreed, wtf does this have to do with anything?

It has everything to do with everything. Or something. Fat people are lazy. Furthermore, lazy people are to blame for Valve's security holes and general moronic actions these past couple years. All I'm asking is they shut down Valve or get rid of the fat people. That isn't much. It's not like I'm asking them to do something ridiculous and finish Half Life 2.
This comment was edited on Aug 28, 19:11.

42. Re: Laugh all you want... Aug 28, 2004, 19:00 quazz

You know this means its coming sooner rather than later....
erm... no. It actually means nothing.

I came close to being wrong when I said a September release date was very optimistic (and unrealistic). But I was right afterall! ah!

41. Laugh all you want... Aug 28, 2004, 18:55 Slingblade

You know this means its coming sooner rather than later....

Sling

40. Re: Movie References... Aug 28, 2004, 18:43 Bunko

That reminds me, we haven't seen a whole lot of JediLuke as of late.

We bury our sins here, Dave. We wash them clean.

Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

39. Re: Movie References... Aug 28, 2004, 18:36 Jedi Master

There's a cheap ($10) version, which is a direct copy of the laserdisc released in 96 or so. It has Brooks' commentary with the film, and I think a small 10 minute segment, but that's it.

I have it, yes.

The Jedi Master

38. No subject Aug 28, 2004, 18:31 Pluvious

This Gabe guy is gotta be the biggest incompetent fool on the planet! I'm begining to understand how the beta leak and the HL2 script leak happened.
After having FBI agents swarming your offices you'd think they would have told the company to review their passwords and get a clue. Truly amazing

37. Re: No subject Aug 28, 2004, 17:52 ZzeusS

One (one, one)
Two (two.. two)

Three. .. three.. threee

lol

36. Re: No subject Aug 28, 2004, 17:42 Tango

Five posts before someone said Gabe was fat? You guys are slipping.
Agreed, wtf does this have to do with anything?

55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo