Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Amid all this PC work I'm doing in the BlueTower, an upgrade is becoming me... the working PSU I slapped into my work computer is a bit noisier than the wonky one it replaced, which only serves to emphasize how noisy it is in here with three computers running. I think I need to look into updating all these PSUs with some of their spiffier counterparts that produce less noise, as now that I am noticing the electric wind in the background more, it's starting to drive me (more) crazy.

Link of the Day: World's Largest Pink Ribbon. Thanks Andrew Arace.
Stories of the Day: Student charged with clogging toilet. Thanks Miguel Gonzalez.
California holds 'Garage Sale'.
'Blade Runner' best sci-fi flick: Scientists.
Science!: Revenge Really Is Sweet, Study Shows. Thanks Ryan Allen.
New jaw bone grown in man’s back muscle. Thanks Devicer.
Seas Seen as Viable Power Source.
Media of the Day: Ripa's Ripped!!. Thanks Ant.
The Retro-Encabulator. Thanks Spiders.
Auctions of the Day: UNIQUE LOOK ALIKE TERMINATOR!!!!!!!!
MOTHER FUKKER'S BUTTER TOFFEE PEANUTS CAN ! Thanks Devicer.
Thanks Mike Martinez

View
131 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

131. Re: Hey Ray.... Aug 28, 2004, 04:08 The Half Elf

But it's good Ray... come on.... Ray.. lookie Tribes Vengence, good game fun game....

Dammit Ray get off the floor!

*being named Roy somehow feels like he's yelling at himself*

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

130. Re: Hey Ray.... Aug 28, 2004, 03:50 Ray Marden

<brings up Steam window>

OMG! Half-Life 2!1111111

<double clicks on game>

A locked copy of Half-Life 2 is now on your computer.

<curling up into the fetal position, crying>

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!1

As for Tribes...feh, I say. Feh! I will probably give it a whirl in a bit, but we have never been great friends.

Tribes = Glide-itis

Tribes 2 = Purchased at launch, buggy mess

As such, I have never really bothered with the series. Yeah, yeah, I know all the claims about it being fixed and working now, but I have grown tired of having issues with the games and I find the Tribes players religion/culture overwhelming at times.

I am not sure what exactly I am looking for with regards to OGs/MMOGs, just that I am looking...

Having about five more weeks of broadband :(,
Ray

-----
A locked copy of Half-Life 2 is now on your computer.
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

129. Re: HOT POTATOS!!! Aug 28, 2004, 00:40 Warhawk

How many people are calling Scottish or Warhawk a troll? Zero. Why? Because they express actual arguments.

Bunko - I thank you for the compliment. I do have to admit that I have a hard time with Halsy and probably slipped in a personal attack or two that weren't always called for, but like most here, I like to express my views with some type of evidence, whenever possible or necessary. But, to quote Dilbert, with Halsy, at times I "Must. Control. Fist of Death.". He's so wrong so often I have a hard time knowing where to start....

This comment was edited on Aug 28, 00:41.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

128. Re: HOT POTATOS!!! Aug 28, 2004, 00:32 Warhawk

Yes, and if we had been at war with North Vietnam that would fine, BUT THE FUCKING PROBLEM WAS THAT WE WERE NOT AT WAR WITH THEM!!!!!!!!!!

That's probably news to the soldiers who fought and died there. Technically, it wasn't a declared war, but everyone, even Kerry, called it "war" and our countries' soldiers lives were on the line. His actions, promoting the agenda of the enemy, saying the US was commonly committing atrocities (an overblown accusation), meeting with representatives of the enemy political groups in order to support their goals and spread their PR counts as treason to me.

When you are at war you fight to destroy your enemy and you don't stop until either he is dead or has completely surrendered.

I agree, but just like Bosnia, Kosovo, Iraq (I and II), and Afghanistan, political/PR desires have often interfered in the waging of an "ideal" war/conflict. Yes, the goal isn't necessarily always what it should be to claim "victory", but that doesn't mean Kerry should have done what he did in the way he did it. It was wrong to say and do the things he did.

You get to kill all his civilians that have not already surrendered or declared themselves non-combatant. In this day and age, that means that you are not at war until you use nukes.

Isn't that kinda like taking out an anthill with a napalm bomb?!?! The purpose of a military is to kill people and break things, but only as needed to attain victory. You're taking it a bit far - I think the Geneva Convention would have a few disagreements with your way of waging war.

Still, you haven't explained how his actions led to the death of troops.

I never said his actions led to the death of troops. I was just posting the opinions of others who have studied the issues a lot more than I have (and probably lived through it) who make some pretty serious accusations and seem to have facts to back them up. If true (and I haven't seen any of the evidence concretely discounted/proven false), I think Kerry is unfit for the office of POTUS based on his actions and statements.

My take is that he was horrified by what he saw and wanted the US out ASAP.

As did just about everyone. But, instead of helping the US gain victory in the "non-war", as soon as his abbreviated tour was over, he immediately went on the offensive to aid the goals of the enemy of this country.

I'm not sure where you're getting the whole "...threatens lawsuits to stations that show it..." bit.

Here's a link with a copy of the letter:
http://humaneventsonline.com.edgesuite.net/unfit_pdf.html

also:
http://www.swiftvets.com/article.php?story=20040810190737687

And yes, he is a bit inconsistent right now.

A bit inconsistent? That's an understatement.... I'm not going to even start on that one.

I watch news, not propaganda.

Funny, I say the same thing. Apparently it's only true when you say it though. Whatever.

As far as Kerry goes with the war atrocities he took part in and heard about, as an officer, it is his responsibility to report anything like this, just like those at Abu Ghraib had a responsibility to report what they saw in that "non-war". If they can be put on trial for taking photos of naked prisioners, Kerry can for his participation in "shootings in free-fire zones", "harassment and interdiction fire", "search-and-destroy missions, in the burning of villages."

That's a lot worse than piling naked prisioners up and shooting them with film.....

OK, I'm done too.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

127. Re: Hey Ray.... Aug 27, 2004, 22:27 complicity

Fileplant now has the Tribes Vengence Beta up for Subscribers
How dare you interrupt this political vitriol with gaming talk. No manners whatsoever, sheesh!

A message of hope to those who choose to hear it,
and a warning to those who do not.

126. Hey Ray.... Aug 27, 2004, 22:22 The Half Elf

Fileplant now has the Tribes Vengence Beta up for Subscribers...

Might give you something to do other then stare at your Half Life 2 Directory

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

125. Re: HOT POTATOS!!! Aug 27, 2004, 21:43 Bunko

Oy vey. I'm done here.

A heart that's full up like a landfill,
a job that slowly kills you,
bruises that won't heal.
You look so tired-unhappy,
bring down the government,
they don't, they don't speak for us.
I'll take a quiet life,
a handshake of carbon monoxide

We bury our sins here, Dave. We wash them clean.
This comment was edited on Aug 27, 21:54.

Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

124. Re: HOT POTATOS!!! Aug 27, 2004, 21:42 Enahs

GOD!

You keep insisting how evil/wrong the Republicans side is, pointing out all their mistakes/what you see as mistakes, you have hatred for them.

Do you even ever consider that the Democrats/Liberals make JUST AS MANY damn mistakes? No, you are sitting here point out all kinds of things that “your” side is just as guilty of.

You act as if your side is right, correct and perfect; your side is just as fucked up. Learn to get the information from BOTH damn sides (who both lie as often as they can) and use some common damn sense to figure out what the truth is.

You have become nothing more that a propaganda puppet (see I can use that word too) for your side. Through your passion, they have turned you passion to hatred and fueled you with lies and half-truths (and a whole hell a lot of conjectures that you want soo bad to be fact), I feel down right pity for you. However, something about you I still like in regards to this whole political stuff, the passion and desire I find admirable. But sorry, you are truly misguided, and I do not need to books or graphs to prove it, I live and interact in the real world, I understand how it works.

*edit*
Josh,
Yes you are a troll.
You do not start talking about political topics for discussion, you specifically start off by intentionally addressing Halsy in hopes of “setting him off” as you put it. If you notice I have not responded to you until now, but only because you do not understand the word people where insulting you with, so I felt I should explain that reasoning to you.
You are a troll, you *might* be a troll with heart/purpose, but that still makes you a troll.

I’m done with the thread, I was done with it the minute I saw it.

_____
Enahs
That’s a deep kiss too, like the Europeans. You know the French they have to unhinge their jaw to show love.
This comment was edited on Aug 27, 21:50.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

123. Re: HOT POTATOS!!! Aug 27, 2004, 21:42 Josh

You should read
-Unfit For Command
-The Many Faces of John Kerry
-Reckless Disregard

All excellent books that tell it like it is.

Josh, Your Friendly Neighborhood Troll
--Waiting for Halsy's dad to break my kneecaps--

122. Re: HOT POTATOS!!! Aug 27, 2004, 21:27 Halsy

Zathrus, Sixis, this is a book you should read.

Robbing Us Blind

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1567512380/qid=1093656593/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-5946510-3219338?v=glance&s=books

Can We Really Call Them Robbers?

Showing exactly how the Bush Gang is a throwback to the "Gilded Age," Brouwer delineates the devastating evidence: The share of the national income that goes to the bottom 90% of the American people shrank from 67% of the total in the late 1970s to about 52% twenty years later. Almost all of the missing income was redistributed to the very richest Americans, the top 1%. Their take of the loot-already a robust 9.3% in 1979-had more than doubled to 20.8% by 2000. And that's before George Jr.'s tax cuts...

Yet Brouwer takes on a further question: Why blame this on "The Bush Gang?"

From 1981, when George Sr. became Reagan's vice president, through 2004, the Bush family has effectively been at the helm of our country most of the time-16 out of the last 24 years. If George Jr. gets re-elected, asks Brouwer, how much of our national income will be left in the hands of the people by 2008?

And Ray Charles was shot down, but he got up to do his best.
- Van Morrison
This comment was edited on Aug 27, 21:32.

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

121. Re: Lou Dobbs... Aug 27, 2004, 21:24 Josh

Yeah, I'm sure that's it. I mean he wouldn't lie or make up stories right? Cambodia, Swift Boats, etc.

120. Re: Lou Dobbs... Aug 27, 2004, 21:21 Bunko

He went to a conference of a bunch of veterans before his testimony. From what I gather, he was speaking for the many veterans he talked to there.

119. Re: Lou Dobbs... Aug 27, 2004, 21:14 Josh

You asked why people were upset about him protesting, I explained.

118. Re: Lou Dobbs... Aug 27, 2004, 21:09 Bunko

I was talking about the general chaos and brutality of combat. It does things to people.

117. Re: Lou Dobbs... Aug 27, 2004, 21:02 Josh

Actually Bunko, Kerry says that he never actually saw any of the atrocities that he testified about. In fact, he says that he heard about them, but never saw them. So, how does he come back and label soldiers baby killers and murderers when he has never seen it first hand, and if he did see it, then why didn't he do something to stop it right then?

116. Re: Lou Dobbs... Aug 27, 2004, 20:59 Josh

Hate to tell you, Kerry was only in vietnam for 4 months, not two years. The rest of the time he spent on a guided missle frigate.

This comment was edited on Aug 27, 20:59.

115. Re: Lou Dobbs... Aug 27, 2004, 20:48 Halsy

Oh, yeah, I forgot, Fox is the Devil's network to you Halsy - logic and facts be damned.

LOL! That's rich. Sorry, sport, I watch news, not propaganda. If you think that Fox presents logic and facts you're in desperate need of a dictionary as well as an education.

http://www.outfoxed.org/

"Outfoxed" examines how media empires, led by Rupert Murdoch's Fox News, have been running a "race to the bottom" in television news. This film provides an in-depth look at Fox News and the dangers of ever-enlarging corporations taking control of the public's right to know.

The film explores Murdoch's burgeoning kingdom and the impact on society when a broad swath of media is controlled by one person.

Media experts, including Jeff Cohen (FAIR) Bob McChesney (Free Press), Chellie Pingree (Common Cause), Jeff Chester (Center for Digital Democracy) and David Brock (Media Matters) provide context and guidance for the story of Fox News and its effect on society.

This documentary also reveals the secrets of Former Fox news producers, reporters, bookers and writers who expose what it's like to work for Fox News. These former Fox employees talk about how they were forced to push a "right-wing" point of view or risk their jobs. Some have even chosen to remain anonymous in order to protect their current livelihoods. As one employee said "There's no sense of integrity as far as having a line that can't be crossed."

And Ray Charles was shot down, but he got up to do his best.
- Van Morrison

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

114. Re: HOT POTATOS!!! Aug 27, 2004, 20:40 Bunko

Still, you haven't explained how his actions led to the death of troops. He was talking to the N. Vietnamese. So what? I'm not sure it was the best thing to do, but he was exploring options for peace. Talking to the leaders of another country about making a peace deal is hardly giving aid to the enemy. It's not like he was giving them intelligence (which he wouldn't have access to anyway) or giving them money. My take is that he was horrified by what he saw and wanted the US out ASAP.

I'm not sure where you're getting the whole "...threatens lawsuits to stations that show it..." bit. I haven't heard that anywhere and upon googling it, I came up with only a handful of ultra conservative blogs saying anything about it. Not even your channel of choice, Fox News, had anything to say.

And yes, he is a bit inconsistent right now. He's trying too hard to please everyone and is stumbling along. He listens to his politicos too much. I think they should add a little Clinton into the mix and Let Kerry Be Kerry.

EDIT: Koreans != Vietnamese

This comment was edited on Aug 27, 21:16.

113. Re: HOT POTATOS!!! Aug 27, 2004, 20:16 Sixis

Scottish, that is a good summary of the misconceptions surround the war crimes allegations in Vietnam, but you left out another important thing, which is that a number of the tactics used by American forces were...well, if we'd been at war they would be OK, but we weren't exactly at war.

The American anti-insurrection strategy often resulted in the inadvertant bombing of civilians, and Nixon's Linebacker bombing operations were designed to inflict maximum damage to civilian population centers. Agent Orange was known to cause illness while we were spraying it, corrupt South Vietnamese leaders used American firepower to kill their political enemies, and it was standard practice to fire into villages if soldiers were uncertain if enemies were around (not to mention friendly fire as the North Vienemese used civilians as cover and the long-range pentration of large caliber ammo in rural settings).

American's have not had the debate about modern warfare that some of the rest of the world had after WWI-WWII. Was the firebombing of Dresden a war crime? The use of nukes on Japan? Sherman's march to the sea? Was Macarthur right about nuking China during Korea? The use of gas in WWI?

112. Re: HOT POTATOS!!! Aug 27, 2004, 20:04 Sixis

Article three: Section three [of the U.S. Constitution], which defines treason, says you cannot give support to the enemy in time of war

Yes, and if we had been at war with North Vietnam that would fine, BUT THE FUCKING PROBLEM WAS THAT WE WERE NOT AT WAR WITH THEM!!!!!!!!!!

When you are at war you fight to destroy your enemy and you don't stop until either he is dead or has completely surrendered. You get to kill all his civilians that have not already surrendered or declared themselves non-combatant. In this day and age, that means that you are not at war until you use nukes. What we were involved in was a "police action", we were acting as a government trying to prevent a rebellion inside one of our allies, while simultaneously not going to real war with our enemies (in this case, the U.S.S.R. and China).

If Kerry had gone home, became an arms dealer, delivered weapons to the NKVD, and then personally shot Americans while wearing an NKVD uniform, it still wouldn't be treason.

I wonder how many hawks really believe in going to war these days, or are they really interested in using limited force to make people in other countries do what we want? The former means using nukes, the latter is riot duty and rebellion squashing.

131 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo