Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Since the little spate of problems I recently encountered on the network here in the BlueTower abated, I decided to take advantage of the small lull in this abnormally news-filled summer (along with the fact that everything is working now) to mess things up. Actually I am working on creating some further redundancy and better disaster recovery here for the next disaster... I don't think the "if it's not broke, don't fix it" rule is so much applicable here as much as a "stitch in time." Of course this is how I console myself when I find myself pulling another all-nighter crawling around the floor wiring things voluntarily after just spending a day doing it by necessity... It helps me convince myself it's not just that I am a masochist.

Play Time: The Invisibility Game. Thanks banddirector.
Link of the Day: Firediving.
Stories of the Day: Cuban ships herself to U.S. in wooden crate. Thanks |oR|Creeper
Gremlins, bloody hearts, big changes. Quotes Jack Valenti admitting standards change over time.
Matthews Band sued over waste dumping. Thanks Chas.
Science!: Pushing Forward for Personal Aircraft.
Reactors Trim Radioactive Waste.
Small telescope reveals new planet.
Image of the Day: When Mars Thaws Out. Thanks zombie69.
Follow-up: Added Sugars, Less Urgency Fine Print and the Guidelines (registration required).
Thanks Mike Martinez

View
53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

53. Re: blah blah blah Aug 27, 2004, 18:08 Josh

I'm confused, liberals are allowed to talk about politics all they want, but when I respond it is trolling? Explain that to me.

Josh, Your Friendly Neighborhood Troll
--Waiting for Halsy's dad to break my kneecaps--
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

52. Re: blah blah blah Aug 27, 2004, 09:24 JoeCool

Enough out of you people.

Bush won the recounts.

But…

Gore would have won if thousands of Black voters hadn't appeared on a felon list and not been allowed to vote even thought they were not felons. That’s called being disenfranchised.

BTW Josh stop constantly trolling. Why not talk about you games and stop being so hateful all the time. You've quickly become the biggest troll on this board.

And if you jerkoffs would stop responding to Josh maybe he would lose intrest and stop coming here. Ever think of that?

This comment was edited on Aug 27, 09:28.

51. Re: blah blah blah Aug 27, 2004, 09:21 nin

Come on flame me big h.

Further proof you're trolling. I don't think you care about the election at all. I think you just like to counter what others say, just to stir up shit. You're like that little kid that feels they don't get enough attention, so you stand in the middle of the room screaming and stomping your foot, until someone notices you. You're not happy unless you're the center of attention, and it's getting old.

Don't try this at home. Don't try this when you're alone. Don't try this at home. You're gonna hurt yourself. http://www.laptopic.com

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

50. Re: blah blah blah Aug 27, 2004, 07:23 Josh

"gg hypocrisy... " Ahhh..finally halsy admits that being called a liberal is a bad thing. If you think it is name calling to call someone a liberal, you must think that "liberal" is a bad term. halsy, do you not realize that serveral independent orginizations found that Bush was the winner in Florida? See, we cast our votes, and then a panel known as the electoral college casts their votes. That's the simplistic version, but I figured I had to dumb it down for you. You would think that someone with, GASP! 3 degrees, would know how a Replubic works. So sad halsy. Come on flame me big h. I'm sure you'll say "Josh you are such a troll! I can't refute your argument, so I'm going to call you dickbrain or asshead! Oh, and I want to try to insult you by calling you kid and scooter, so I can show everyone I think your young. WAHHH!"

49. Re: blah blah blah Aug 27, 2004, 01:09 Warhawk

Sigh...what don't you understand about Bush being appointed and not elected because Jeb's judges would not allow a recount? If the Bush boys were really big on democracy they would have insisted on a recount. After all, Bush lost the popular vote by 500,000 votes. But that's a clear indication he would have lost the electoral college too. Turns out he would have been right. No wonder he didn't want a recount.

Again, you're wrong Halsy...

"A comprehensive study of the 2000 presidential election in Florida suggests that if the U.S. Supreme Court had allowed a statewide vote recount to proceed, Republican candidate George W. Bush would still have been elected president."

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2001/florida.ballots/stories/main.html

Took 5 seconds with Google.

"If the U.S. Supreme Court had allowed Florida's courts to finish their abortive recount of last year's deadlocked presidential election, President Bush probably still would have won by several hundred votes, a comprehensive study of the uncounted ballots has found."

and

"The study provides evidence that more Florida voters attempted to vote for Gore than for Bush--but so many Gore voters marked their ballots improperly that Bush received more valid votes. As a result, under rules devised by the Florida Supreme Court and accepted by the Gore campaign at the time, Bush probably would have won a recount, the study found."

http://www.latimes.com/la-111201recount.story

Basically, based on the LA Times story (not known for it's conservatism), Libs/Dems in Florida are too stupid to vote properly.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

48. Re: blah blah blah Aug 27, 2004, 00:12 Enahs

In reality, it is hardly that Bush “won” through miscounts and being denied recounting (again). If you insist that Florida should have been recounted again to be fair, to get the “true results”, then you must insist that every vote everywhere be recounted.

It is an imperfect system, many mistakes where made. The same “average” of mistakes that where made in Florida where made in every other state, just nobody in the other states with enough electoral votes behind them to change the outcome cared, because there was no point.

If you want to keep declaring Bush did not win fairly, fine, but you can not claim Gore should of won, it was pretty much even and Bush came out on top, that is just how the law of average of mistakes fell. This is how science and the world works, mistakes favor some people; when they favor the person you do not like you have no right to complain about it if you are not complaining when they favor the person you like.

Like it or not Bush was elected fairly (as fair as the how the system is setup can be).

In short, Get over it. (This is to everybody, no one specific)

And more importantly, the damn jokes where only funny 4 years ago!!

Insert political comment here about my views, not just the math/science behind it:
Just fucking vote, ya know the President is only one “small” part of the system, if you do not like either one of them (since they are both JackHoles), you do not have to vote for the Presidency at all, but you can still vote for the other offices, and do good (arguably more good that way).

_____
Enahs
That’s a deep kiss too, like the Europeans. You know the French they have to unhinge their jaw to show love.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

47. Re: blah blah blah Aug 26, 2004, 23:43 Halsy

Sigh....what do you not understand about the electoral college?

Sigh...what don't you understand about Bush being appointed and not elected because Jeb's judges would not allow a recount? If the Bush boys were really big on democracy they would have insisted on a recount. After all, Bush lost the popular vote by 500,000 votes. But that's a clear indication he would have lost the electoral college too. Turns out he would have been right. No wonder he didn't want a recount.

Seeing as actual research seems to be a bit too much of an effort for you, I'll make it easy.

http://www.ericblumrich.com/gta.html

Kid, don't you ever tire of being wrong?

Wow, I'm a punk because I speak the truth? Can't handle someone that disagrees with you without resorting to name calling? Yeah, you sound like a liberal.

gg hypocrisy...

Kid, you're irritating both in your manner and in your ignorance, but you're always good for a laugh. Thanks for coming out anyway, scooter.

And Ray Charles was shot down, but he got up to do his best.
- Van Morrison

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

46. Re: blah blah blah Aug 26, 2004, 23:18 Bunko

The punk part was only a semi-serious remark, designed to make myself sound like Clint Eastwood. And I was speaking in terms of arguments, not posts.

The truth? The truth seems to be, as of late, relative to your personal beliefs. Perspecitve marrs everything.

I could go rambling on about the electoral college but I'm fresh out of troll food, so I'm calling it quits. See ya around.

We bury our sins here, Dave. We wash them clean.
This comment was edited on Aug 26, 23:20.

Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

45. Re: blah blah blah Aug 26, 2004, 22:25 Josh

By the way thats two...uh three now.

44. Re: blah blah blah Aug 26, 2004, 22:24 Josh

Wow, I'm a punk because I speak the truth? Can't handle someone that disagrees with you without resorting to name calling? Yeah, you sound like a liberal.

43. Re: blah blah blah Aug 26, 2004, 22:19 Enahs

Personally I think it's an apt comparison. Whatever.

No, it is not.

At least when you say “Hamm”, good things can come to mind, like Bacon…and I dunno…HAM!
You do not get that same pleasing thoughts when you hear “2000 Presidential Election”.

Though, whatever happened to that guy on the American team who was forced to change his routine 5 minutes before doing it? Which, he was forced illegally as the judges had no right to tell him what to do; they just threatened him with lower scores if he did not change (lame). He suffered a delayed concussion from the resulting fall (and man, he hit HARD!), causing him to perform poorly in the next event (which was what he was there for, it was his strong event).

• Hamm, or rather Ham = good
  • Olympics = Lame
  • People still making jokes about the 4 year old presidential election fiasco = lame

• _____
    Enahs
    That’s a deep kiss too, like the Europeans. You know the French they have to unhinge their jaw to show love.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
    - W. C. Fields

42. Re: blah blah blah Aug 26, 2004, 22:09 Bunko

You gonna make it one a day, punk?

Personally I think it's an apt comparison. Whatever.

We bury our sins here, Dave. We wash them clean.
    This comment was edited on Aug 26, 22:25.

Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
    http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

41. Re: heh Aug 26, 2004, 22:03 Mystical PotatoHead Groove Thang

Yet another GODDAMN popup added, "Cingular"
    Get a life, you don't need this many bloody popups.
    Yea I use a popup killer, but I still know it's there and recent. You've become a pathetic popup ads site, pretty sad.

40. Re: blah blah blah Aug 26, 2004, 21:57 Josh

"It's pretty simple (and reminiscent of the 2000 Presidential Election),
    Hamm was awarded the gold even though his opponent won the event." Sigh....what do you not understand about the electoral college?

39. Re: Steam Sucks Aug 26, 2004, 18:14 Rockn-Roll

By all means Blue...since you've been through all of the cabling and networking, you are very familiar with it at the moment. It would be best to configure some backup now, rather than later when you may forget where everything is...not to mention in the middle of a crisis.  

Let's Rock!

38. Re: blah blah blah Aug 26, 2004, 17:40 MeatForce

i imagine the Wisconsin hayseed is surrounded by a posse of slick PR managers and Wheaties marketing goons all screaming at him to "keep the gold at any cost!"

BINGO!!

Not wanting to swap for a silver I can vaguely understand, but TBH, he really has no excuse for not sharing the gold under the circumstances. It's not like he'd be the first to have ever had to do so, and the marketing types would still get to say he's a gold medalist and go home happy..

I think I'd have a really hard time seriously competing in a sport wherein you could go out there and bust your ass better than anyone else, only to have some idiot judge get involved and crush your dreams.

I really do think there is something in the notion that a "true Olympian" would do the right thing and acknowledge the achievement of his peer. I mean, who better than the athletes themselves should understand that what's really important is the effort, skill and determination it takes to reach Olympic status in a sport?

Of course, they have rule-books that say otherwise, but IMO 0.049 points of difference between the two in a subjective event like this one is a fucking tie and he knows it..

Especially if the goddamn judges are seen to be maintaining their usual impeccable Olympic standards

I say step up and show you've got a pair, Hamm (unless, of course, clinging to the gold is helping you to compensate for unknown deficiencies in that dept). Say the judges are on the crack, Yang kicked-ass, and you think he deserves to share the victory. NOBODY would have a problem with you taking that position (although, admittedly it's a bit late now). In fact, many people will think this shows very good character on your part, and use phrases like "strong moral fibre", and "excellent sportsmanship - he's a real Olympian" when describing you. The chicks will lap it up, among other things (unless, of course, see above ;)) Best of all, the story will go away with everyone thinking what a nice young man you appear to be.

As it stands now, you're going to be remembered as Paul 'oh, you mean that guy who probably won a silver but was awarded a gold because of some kind of judging irregularity and lots of people thought it should have gone to the Korean, but he said that it looked like even the Korean might have made a mistake too, so nobody knew what to think, but he went on Letterman and said he wasn't going to share the gold anyway' Hamm.

Solid. Your grandchildren will weep with pride when you tell them about it (unless, of course, .. )

-----
    "... this has ALL been done before, better and by people who are slightly more competent than a pack of one eyed gerbils on acid."

-----
    I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

37. Re: blah blah blah Aug 26, 2004, 16:19 FourPak

It's pretty simple (and reminiscent of the 2000 Presidential Election),
    Hamm was awarded the gold even though his opponent won the event.

A real Olympian would Do The Right Thing and swap the gold for silver but i imagine the Wisconsin hayseed is surrounded by a posse of slick PR managers and Wheaties marketing goons all screaming at him to "keep the gold at any cost!"

edit: i saw that whole 10 minute booing part and it was AMAZING to see what a fraud the scoring system is, the booing went on and on (the commentator was saying "i hope they don't cancel the event!"), finally the head judge got up, said some stern words to the 2 offending judges who looked like they were about to be lynched by a mob, and then magically their scores were each just arbitrarily increased. They just make up whatever numbers they want!
    This comment was edited on Aug 26, 16:30.

36. Toronto sniper Aug 26, 2004, 15:35 complicity

Hey WebDemon, I just read in the news about that incident yesterday morning in Toronto, it sounds like they quoted you in the piece after what you said here yesterday.

Another man, who didn't want his name used, watched the single shot end the 40-minute drama from across the street at the Fairmont Royal York hotel.

"It wasn't too cool," the man said.

This comment was edited on Aug 26, 16:57.

A message of hope to those who choose to hear it,
    and a warning to those who do not.

35. Firediving Aug 26, 2004, 15:28 MeatForce

All this talk of firediving reminds me of one of my favourite books of all time -- Anyone ever read Barney's Version by Mordechai Richler?

Damn that's a brilliant and funny novel! Think I may have to give it yet another read, now that it's in my head again..

Anyway, firediving.. yeah, go read Barney's Version if you haven't already

-----
    "... this has ALL been done before, better and by people who are slightly more competent than a pack of one eyed gerbils on acid."

-----
    I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

34. Re: blah blah blah Aug 26, 2004, 14:16 Hammer

At least you know who really won when you have a sport that's quantified by a top speed, jump ...

You mean, at least you know who as the better chemist/trainer...

That's another reason why I really don't bother with the Olympics anymore.

Edit: Spelling (or lack thereof)

This comment was edited on Aug 26, 14:17.

53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo