Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Well the state of my work computer that I mentioned "fixing" naturally progressed yesterday into a full-blown saga. Deceptively acting better for a while after I disposed of the dust bunny burrowing into a cooling fan, the machine started locking up again, with the freezes occurring more and more frequently. Crashing on attempts to boot into safe mode more or less confirmed my thoughts that this was hardware related, but it took far longer than it should have to realize the power supply was being flaky... watching the voltages jump in the BIOS screen filled me with confidence that replacing the PSU would finally actually fix things. Sure enough, the first unit I scavenged from the PC graveyard put things right. It cost me a day of productivity, and I came this close (I'm holding my fingers incredibly close together) to breaking something a couple of times, but at least the matter has been resolved. Oh, wait, I said that yesterday, didn't I? Oh well, we shall see. And so, having re-re-re-disposed of the monster...

R.I.P.: 'Elvis has left the building' announcer dies (thanks Mike Martinez). The announcer has left the building.

Links of the Day: CAG - November 1982, Ottumwa, Iowa contest.
Big Ass Fan Company!. Thanks zombie69.
Stories of the Day: Crisis Alert in Critical State.
WWI bodies are found on glacier.
Nazi memorabilia fight sees Yahoo! pitted against the French.
Science!: Will gene-altered athletes kill sport?
Sugary Soft Drinks Raise Risk of Diabetes -Study.
Electric Bullet.
Media of the Day: Posting and You. Thanks dude163 [AMMO].
Auctions of the Day: EXTREME MOUNTAINTOP MONTANA RETREAT. Thanks Matt Dougherty.
Transformers comics predicting 9-11 osama bin laden. Thanks Kris Knowlton.
Follow-ups: JibJab beats copyright rap.
Can a Robot Save Hubble? More Scientists Think So (registration required).
Thanks Mike Martinez

View
84 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

84. Re: Big Ass Fans Aug 26, 2004, 11:37 zen

Kerry who?

You don't think Bush is the answer, do you?

Z

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

83. Re: Big Ass Fans Aug 26, 2004, 11:01 Dantastic

damn josh wtf is wrong with u troll? u are the ONLY person on this board who hasn't realized that u are not allowed to say anything that will make halsy freak out like a lunatic. IT IS A RULE why can't u follow it? it is up to everyone on this board to tip-toe around him and say only things that pacify him, and u are clearly just a forum troll for saying anything anti-kerry.

because of u we now may have to live thru another million posts throwing insults back and forth. thanks a lot

82. Re: Big Ass Fans Aug 26, 2004, 04:15 Tango

Ain't he great? We need a special bell to summon him on queue...
He seems to do too a good job of summoning himself. School holidays are too long these days.

81. R.I.P? Aug 26, 2004, 01:23 Valtyr

I do hpe they'll give those soliders they found in those mountains a quick funeral. I'd hate to see those bodies becoming part of a mueseum collection.

I always get this eiri feeling when I hear about stories like that.

80. Re: Big Ass Fans Aug 26, 2004, 01:02 Halsy

Too bad we couldn't susbsitute the little moron for the asshat that got clipped today. Talk about doing humanity a favor.

I read the guy used to beat his wife and kids so I really have no remorse that he got offed. Let's hope it's early enough that he hasn't screwed up his wife and kids for life.

And Ray Charles was shot down, but he got up to do his best.
- Van Morrison

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

79. Re: Big Ass Fans Aug 25, 2004, 22:29 nin

Man alive, I heart trolls.

Ain't he great? We need a special bell to summon him on queue...

Don't try this at home. Don't try this when you're alone. Don't try this at home. You're gonna hurt yourself. http://www.laptopic.com

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

78. Re: off topics Aug 25, 2004, 22:19 nin

Congrats to Killer Kane, glad it turned out well!

Don't try this at home. Don't try this when you're alone. Don't try this at home. You're gonna hurt yourself. http://www.laptopic.com

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

77. Re: Montana property auction Aug 25, 2004, 21:44 FourPak

All that open space- and the lot is only 1.72 acres
says the surrounding acreage is ranch range, you have not 1 but 2 herds of migratory elk that wander thru, awesome vistas (think how ASTOUNDING the night sky must be!), and best of all No People for miles around. *sigh*

damn if i only had some money.

76. Re: Big Ass Fans Aug 25, 2004, 21:24 Bunko

Man alive, I heart trolls.

We bury our sins here, Dave. We wash them clean.

Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

75. Re: No subject Aug 25, 2004, 21:17 banddirector

I am a spreader, but I am not an unwashed heathen.

We p\/\/n j00 , Enahs ....

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

74. Re: Big Ass Fans Aug 25, 2004, 21:16 Josh

"Pandering to the lowest common denominator is not the way for society to head - and unfortunately it has for far too long now." Maybe you should read that statement to yourself a few times before you go cast that vote for Kerry, because thats all he does.

Josh, Your Friendly Neighborhood Troll
--Waiting for Halsy's dad to break my kneecaps--

73. A little off topic Aug 25, 2004, 20:37 Warhawk

You can now order SP2 for MS Windows on CD:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

72. Re: No subject Aug 25, 2004, 19:59 Sixis

What if I took just one toothpick, dipped it in poison, and shot it at you with a blowgun?

Violence is the father of invention

INSERTEDIT: heh, I was typing that at same time WebDemon posts about his eventful day...creepy. You know the best thing about police snipers? The bullet travels faster than the sound it makes, so the guy is physically incapable of reacting to it, other than a little twitching. Still, nobody likes to have brains splattered over them. Except zombies.

Wait a sec...Toronto? You must be lying, that kind of thing doesn't happen in blissful Canada. I know, I saw Bowling for Columbine. Maybe he was an American tourist?

This comment was edited on Aug 25, 20:05.

71. What a day Aug 25, 2004, 19:58 WebDemon

First thing this morning I'm sitting in a meeting and all of a sudden there's cops and sirens and helicopters and running people everywhere outside at the train station which is across the street from us. We're on the 8th floor. So we're all standing at the window going WTF? When somebody spots a guy holding a woman hostage with a sawed off in front of the station. Just standing there with the gun to her head. This is just after 8 this morning Toronto time so there's loads of people everywhere because it's rush hour and the Station is packed with commuters. More and more cops keep showing up and they're all trained on this asshat with the shotgun. By this time the whole office is at the window watching it all happen. It was like a movie almost but there was this sick feeling in the pit of your stomach. So like a half hour/40 mintues goes by with this nut holding tons of cops and what looked like a negotiator at bay with this poor woman when he just kind of shifted his weight back a little and...
BANG. And I mean BANG, loud enough to rattle the windows BANG and the guy drops like a sack of shit in a small pink cloud right onto what just got blown all over the sidewalk. Police sniper topped him off from the next building over. Cops all rush in, grab the woman and spirit her away while the rest flip Mr. MushyHead over and cuff his now brainless ass. Dead silence in the office. Always cool to see in the movies but now that I've seen it first hand, NOT cool to see for real. I feel more sorry for the poor bugger that had to put him down. As much as I hate to admit it, our cops did good up here today. Still, something unnerving about watching a guy have his lights turned out by a sniper like that. On the up side we got outta work early!.

70. Re: No subject Aug 25, 2004, 19:34 Enahs

Did you even read the site you linked to?
Why yes I did, that is why I referenced #7 (for thickness, showing how hard it is to get it too thin as many where worried).

Likewise, may I presume that your drop is generally round?
That is a rather personal question, sorry honey but you are going to have to take my out on a few dates first

You, without crushing your die, press the heatsink down on the chip, spreading the compound out in a radial fashion?
I just use the compression from the heat sink springs, those press down crazy hard as it is!

. A radial spread is either going to come up short at the diagonal edges or you have to put on excess compound, pushing it off and over the perpendicular side.
I have already said some will come out the sides and just the right amount to :).

They make repeated references to spreading out the compound.
Yes, because that is the inferior, but safer way to tell people because it has a better chance of not screwing up. But ya know, most instructions are like that, not optimal results, just less likely for you unwashed heathens of making a boo boo

Don't make us, Enahs p\/\/n j00 - we have the toothpickers and their army on our side!

Bah, you and your toothpickers could not p\/\/n j00 me if you tried, I will just get a knife and carve a stick to a relatively sharp end; it would be like 100,000 toothpicks! I shall poke all you spreaders eyes out before you even get close enough to throw your little wimpy toothpicks at me!

But ya know, as long as you are buying new computer hardware, no matter how inferior and wasteful of a goop method you use, youíre still ok by me!

_____
Enahs
Thatís a deep kiss too, like the Europeans. You know the French they have to unhinge their jaw to show love.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

69. Re: No subject Aug 25, 2004, 19:16 Ray Marden

ALL YOUR THERMAL COMPOUND ARE BELONG TO US!

I have no doubt you can hack something together nine times out of ten, but it still seems really flawed. As WH pointed out, what about heatsinks that are (or need to be) applied at an angle? Now all the compound is going to be pushed in one direction.

Likewise, may I presume that your drop is generally round? You, without crushing your die, press the heatsink down on the chip, spreading the compound out in a radial fashion? I don't know what type of die your chip has, but all the ones I have used recently are rectangular, if not square, in shape. A radial spread is either going to come up short at the diagonal edges or you have to put on excess compound, pushing it off and over the perpendicular side.

Don't make us p\/\/n j00, Enahs - we have the toothpickers and their army on our side!

Did you even read the site you linked to? They make repeated references to spreading out the compound. The only times they even come close to the "tiny tiny" dot approach is when you have a heat spreader in place. In essence, they are doing exactly what I described - putting on much more than they need and having the compound going far outside the space of the actual die. Only the wide spreader prevents it from being a total mess. Even then, if a metal is going to be heated, I would rather have all of its surface transferring heat rather than just the center portion.

Edit: Step 7:
Spread the Arctic Silver thermal compound over the CPU core...

I admit an unprotected finger is a bad idea, but that is lazines on my part. Listen to your parents, kids - you should always use (plastic baggie :D) protection!

Telling the toothpick troops to keep their eyes on you,
Ray

-----
I just started playing X2. I have no idea what I am doing. Can the game please go slower?
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
I love you, mom.
This comment was edited on Aug 25, 19:17.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

68. off topics Aug 25, 2004, 19:03 Killer Kane

hey Blue , a while back you said you were thinking about laser eye surgery , well i had LASIK on monday afternoon and the results are beyond anything i could have wished for . i was nearsighted with an astigmatism (bad combo) and directly after the surgery i could see better than i could with my glasses ( and it improves every day ) i can now read newspapers,phone books , fine print...ect with out any difficulty . each eye took about 3 mins. and i was in & out of the room in less than 15 mins. ....its INCREDIBLE ! ....if you can swing the cost , go for it

67. Re: Big Ass Fans Aug 25, 2004, 18:32 zen

Where did I state that they're not allowed to say what they're saying? While they might be narrow-minded they're still entitled to what they feel. I simply said I couldn't believe how many people complained about the name; and since you didn't RTFA, here's a link to peruse:

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/heraldleader/7176746.htm

What I said about stupid people still applies, as well.

I merely find it amusing to stick it to the Upright Citizens who believe they're superior just because they have more rules.

Z
This comment was edited on Aug 25, 18:55.

66. Re: Ottumwa, Iowa contest Aug 25, 2004, 18:19 LwoodPDowd

I'd love to see a "Where are they now" story on these guys.  
Playing with yeast to help you live longer!
My e. coli cures cancer!

65. Re: Big Ass Fans Aug 25, 2004, 18:16 LwoodPDowd

I can't believe the amount of people who write to them simply to complain about their company name. How can we call this a free country when you have idiots trying to destroy a clever marketing ploy and a creative name?

So in your "free" society, no one is free to complain when something offends them? I don't have the time to read all of the complaints, but from my scan of 5 random pages, I didn't find a single one threatening to use government intervention to stop them from advertising the way they want. Just people expressing their opinions. But I guess since their opinions vary from yours they just don't have that right.

Stupid people breed stupidity.

Apparently so does narrow-mindedness.

Sorry my reply is so bitter, but I get sick of people crying censorship when it clearly doesn't apply.

I'm also wondering what kind of medical condition requires someone buy a 24 foot ass fan.

Playing with yeast to help you live longer!
My e. coli cures cancer!

84 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo