Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DOOM 3 Sales

This press release (thanks Frans) announces that DOOM 3 is selling like hotcakes: "The game debuted as the #1 best-selling PC game in the U.S. for the week ending August 7, according to NPD Techworld. Additionally, DOOM 3 was the #1 best-selling game overall in the U.K. for the weeks ending August 14 and August 21, according to the U.K. Chart Track and the #1 best-selling PC game in Australia, for the weeks ending August 8 and 15, according to GfK Inform Database. For the week ending August 15, DOOM 3 also was the #1 best-selling PC game in France, according to GfK; the #1 game in Germany, according to Media Control; and the #1 game in Sweden, Denmark and Norway, according to Manual Sweden, Manual Denmark and Manual Norway."

View
130 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

130. Re: back to the piracy issue Aug 27, 2004, 05:51 SirAnthony

Oh and webmasters who moke it so you cant back out of thier site so it generates more hits on the hit counter.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

129. Re: back to the piracy issue Aug 27, 2004, 05:42 SirAnthony

ID made thier first fortune when people could buy thier game and just give it to all thier friends. ID still made a fortune. But like everything enough is never enough. You realize this amount of money allowed your life or buisiness to change in X ways. So you realize more money can do even more. Those dam pirates! So there is piracy prevention stuff added. But there are still pirates. So there is more and better piracy stuff. Someone invemts something like steam to make more money. Record companies start suing people even though they were the ones pushing crappy CD technoligy. Give me the big black disk with grooves any day.

So on the other hand we have the pirates who will spend hungreds of hours trying to crack something just because it is there. How many games could they have bought if they just had a job?

Just like most things in america it all gets rediculous after awhile.

Lets not get into second hand smoke parinoia.

128. Re: Doom 3 Aug 26, 2004, 23:30 Kobalt

HELLO. It was supposed to be a deathmatch only multiplayer game. Why would a DEATHMATCH ONLY MULTIPLAYER GAME have single player or anything else?

I'm not sure where you got I was talking about single player, I meant different modes like fucking king of the hill or some shit. And since quake 3 has capture the flag too(albet quickly tacked on, quake 3 wasn't even meant to ship with ctf, they were going to patch it later like most lazy ass pc developers do but id got scared when the UT demo came out), quake 3 obviously wasn't a deathmatch only game.

No Quake 3 is not a remake of Quake 1.

Look above quickl- oh shit the point just flew over your head.

Let me bring you back to reality for a moment. UT2004 was released almost FIVE YEARS after Quake 3. Of course it has more modes and more features.

The fuck makes you think I was talking about UT2k4 and not UT? UT had tons of modes when it was released THE SAME FUCKING MONTH QUAKE 3 WAS.

so I don't see why anyone would criticize them for continuing that trend.

I bet you really don't see why someone would criticize a company for not inovating at all.

This comment was edited on Aug 26, 23:37.

127. Re: Doom 3 Aug 26, 2004, 23:02 Undead Scottsman

while unreal torunament and tribes has tons of well built modes?

Let me bring you back to reality for a moment. UT2004 was released almost FIVE YEARS after Quake 3. Of course it has more modes and more features. Half of which are very superficial. Id is known and respected for their simplicity and elegance of design, so I don't see why anyone would criticize them for continuing that trend.
Uhh.. He said "Unreal Tournament" not "Unreal Tournament 2004"

You know, the game that was released FIVE YEARS AGO and still had more modes of play than Quake III, not to mention introduces the concept of mutators?

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

126. Re: Doom 3 Aug 26, 2004, 21:43 Celestial Toad

Quake 3 has absolutely no new weapons

The weapons it has are standard and work fine. If it isn't broken then there is no reason to fix it. I remember games like the original Unreal which had "innovative" new weapons. And most of them sucked. Rocket launchers with ridiculous spiral firing modes don't impress me.

Just about every possible weapon in an FPS has been done already, so I don't see how anyone can be terribly innovative with weapons.

only has deathmatch

HELLO. It was supposed to be a deathmatch only multiplayer game. Why would a DEATHMATCH ONLY MULTIPLAYER GAME have single player or anything else?

Because quake 3 is a remake of quake 1 of course!

No Quake 3 is not a remake of Quake 1.

while unreal torunament and tribes has tons of well built modes?

Let me bring you back to reality for a moment. UT2004 was released almost FIVE YEARS after Quake 3. Of course it has more modes and more features. Half of which are very superficial. Id is known and respected for their simplicity and elegance of design, so I don't see why anyone would criticize them for continuing that trend.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

-Albert Einstein

125. Consoles are no better than PCs. Aug 26, 2004, 02:28 Smellfinger

There's enough filler on both platforms to choke even the most morbidly obese id Software and Valve fanboys. Granted, the best FPS in years is a console game, but for every Halo there are 1000 generic, bargain bin console games. It's the same with PCs. The problem is that mediocrity is tolerated by the average gamer. Think about it: Doom 3, an abysmally mediocre video game, gets rave reviews and sells ridiculously well. What kind of message does that send to developers? Make a game like Doom 3 and cash in like id Software! It happens in every genre on every platform. Is it any wonder that video games aren't evolving?

124. Re: ha Aug 26, 2004, 00:52 Ronin

As one person rightly pointed out, the zombies in this game would have scared 13 year old girls in the 60's, but not anymore. At least not for me

I think a zombie may have gave me the chills once...but most of my chills (never literally jumped, as I said, Undying cured me of that) came from the hell baby things. And I obviously don't know what your home setup is like, but this game NEEDS to be played with 5.1 or a really good set of headphones, and in the dark.

-Azrael
"Don't Fear the Reaper, fear ME."
Decade of Death (A tribute to FPSs)
http://files.filefront.com/3197804;/pub2/Doom/Media/Videos%20and%20Trailers/
http://files.filefront.com/3325050;/pub2/Doom/Media/Videos%20and%20Trailers/

-Azrael
"Don't Fear the Reaper, fear ME."
http://gamershots.net

123. Re: Doom 3 Aug 25, 2004, 20:30 Kobalt

Just curious, but do you consider that to be a sentence?

Nice dodge, pussy

I did not say that Doom 3 is the "best game ever.

No one said you did

And neither did PC Gamer.

Read it again

122. Re: *yawn* Aug 25, 2004, 19:34 Creston

5. You'll never get enough cash without literally days of trading unless you cheat. So cheat. Get a hex editor, find the hex with the amount of credits you have in your save game file, and give yourself a hundred billion credits. Detailed instructions can be found online. INSERTEDIT - you can't cheat with versions later than 1.0, that's why I said not to patch - ENDINSERTION

Jebus, if you're going to tell a man to cheat, at least be up to date about it. Just patch to 1.4 (playing at 1.0, *shudder*), go to www.xscripting.com and download the x2bankrobber script. It's a script of 2 lines of code, and it basically says "GiveCashtoPlayer xxxxxx".

However, the bad thing is, for me, that the entire goal of the game is to make enough money for whatever goals you have. It was VERY cool to finally buy my own destroyer and terrorize the Xenon sectors in it. If you just cheat...

Although I can see cheating yourself the first couple of million, to get through the initial boring grind (it's like a MMORPG where you're fighting killer bunnies).

Once you've got some money, setting up stations and buying freighters etc is pretty amusing.

Ofcourse, I like building stuff, I even like the Sims

Creston

Edit : I just checked xscripting and that script seems to have vanished. Ray, drop me a line and I'll email it to you, maybe with a few million creds you can get yourself a bit more in the game (buying some wingmen and terrorizing some pirate bases for example).

Or I can post it here, you can recreate it yourself and put it in your game, whatever you'd prefer.

Edit 2 : I've gone and looked up some stuff for you :

This is a great Mod that I've played for awhile, sadly it seems the author has gone back to Eve Online, so it probably won't get updated further, but it is pretty awesome as it is.

http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtopic.php?t=53821

Here's a guide I wrote on making those first millions yourself, just in case you feel sad that you couldn't hack it

http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27148

I was also going to post the 2 lines of code for the money script, but I can't remember what you need to use to open those damn script files.

This comment was edited on Aug 25, 19:49.

121. Re: *yawn* Aug 25, 2004, 19:25 Creston

Poor Ray.

...the immersion and atmosphere in Doom 3 match that of System Shock perfectly.
That is so, so wrong!

Not really. System Shock had dark halls and creepy corridors, with zombies crawling through it. So does Doom 3, it just looks a bit prettier. Everything else that you perceive that System Shock does better in the immersion and atmosphere area are simply because of the type of game it is. In the beginning, you can't just go around shooting the shit out of zombies, because you have no ammo, so you have to sneak. Sneaking automatically makes it all seem scarier and more atmospheric. In Doom 3, you have a gun, 20 seconds later, you have a shotgun, and you have ammo. Plus the levels are linear, so what other choice do you have?

But in presentation / immersion etc, I fail to see much difference.
I'd love a redo of System Shock with the Doom 3 engine though!
(The original System Shock, preferably, a MUCH MUCH better game than System Shock 2. It's too bad the OMM forums are dead, there was a magnificent post there on System Shock 2 that was one of the most defining moments of comedy in the history of internet forums.)

As for X2, let's see if I can give you some pointers.

1) IGNORE THE STORY. Seriously, stop torturing yourself. The story is the most poorly written piece of crap this side of.. of... of the most poorly written piece of crap ever. Play mission 1 and 2, to get some freebies (here's a tip, when you take the ship back to Terracorp HQ with that whiny fish inside, before you talk to Elena Kho again, SELL the shield and laser. Use that money to buy yourself some decent kit.)
If you continue to play the story, you will end up in the most horrendously pisspoorly designed final mission ever seen in computer gaming. There are no words to describe it. Putting your dick in a blender and turning it to puree would give you more joy than that mission.
STOP PLAYING THE STORYLINE.

2) The autopilot aims below the gates because sometimes a Big Ship comes through the gate, and it would splatter you against it otherwise. Believe me, this is not funny. I once flew into my own fucking destroyer coming through a gate.

3) The autopilot does take forever to dock you (I usually just dock myself, or kill some pirates in Paranid space, so I can dock there and buy a docking computer), but you CAN HIT SETA WHILE DOCKING. Then you dock in about 5 seconds. Who cares how it flies to get you there, it never fails (never has for me anyways).

3) This game is not about combat, although it was made slightly better in 1.4. It's about empire building. Pre 1.4 this was only possible through trading / mining or owning a large amount of fabs.
In 1.4 it's actually possible to just keep doing assassination missions and making a fortune that way.
But if you want a great storyline and tons of action, X2 won't give it to you.

4) Long loads? Hmmm? That doesn't seem to happen for me, it's about 4 or 5 seconds or so to load a sector? The load game is quite long, but other than that?

5) Docking inside a station. You don't have to. Hit escape. Same for when you want to leave. Hit escape. It's there for those who WANT to do it (for immersion factor), and because you can do some sort of treasure hunt, but it's easy enough to hit escape.

6) Buying or selling, that's most likely not a bug, but just dependant on where you are. Factories only SELL product (ie, what they manufacture), and only BUY resources (ie, what they need to manufacture their product.) They will not buy anything else. You can only ever BUY the thing that's on the top line(s) and sell the stuff that's on the bottom line(s). This takes a bit of time to get the hang of it. It's not freelancer where everything gets sold and bought everywhere (but somehow there's still profit to be made).
Also, prices are dynamic, in that they are tied to the amount of the product a fab has in stock. It the volume is high, the price they buy / sell for is low. If stock is low, the price they buy / sell for is high. Hence, buy from well stocked resource producers when their stock is high, and sell to factories when their stock is low.
A great set of items to help you with this are the Best Buy and Best Sell Locators, sold in Teladi Space (from Argon Prime, go North, East, East, North, North, East and find an equipment dock. Bring about, ehh, 20.000 credits I believe.)

The thing is, it's not a quick fix space combat simulator, like Wing Commander and Freespace 2. Everything takes time. Money makes money. Your first million is always the hardest, then it gets easier.
Combat does not become enjoyable until you have a decently outfitted ship. Your Argon Disco is not a combat vessel. An M3 is.

Hope some of this helps.

Creston

120. Re: Doom 3 Aug 25, 2004, 19:02 Celestial Toad

Just curious, do you realize how much of a tard that uses every excuse in the world for a reason why there is no innovation you sound like?

Just curious, but do you consider that to be a sentence? Before you call me a "tard" perhaps you should consider learning some basic grammar.

I dont think even the biggest id fanboy will say doom 3 is the best game ever yet pc gamer said that

I did not say that Doom 3 is the "best game ever." And neither did PC Gamer.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

-Albert Einstein

119. Re: Doom 3 Aug 25, 2004, 18:54 Kobalt

Not sure whether that's just a matter of numbers (5x the games on the consoles --> more innovation) or the Japanese willingness to experiment (and fondness for consoles) but you're absolutely right.

Has more to do with the fact that consoles make so much more money than pc games that even niche games like disgaea can sell pretty well, while only the most popular type of game on pc like a FPS sells well.

The weapons in the original Doom only had one firing mode, so why would the REMAKE of Doom be any different?

Just curious, do you realize how much of a tard that uses every excuse in the world for a reason why there is no innovation you sound like? "Oh doom 3 has as much story as the orginal doom you say? Well it's a remake of course ! What? Quake 3 has absolutely no new weapons, only has deathmatch and a quickly tacked on capture the flag while unreal torunament and tribes has tons of well built modes? Because quake 3 is a remake of quake 1 of course !"

yet dozens of people on this site and dozens of reviews say otherwise.

Wow, dozens. And only a retard pays attention to reviews anymore, I dont think even the biggest id fanboy will say doom 3 is the best game ever yet pc gamer said that.

This comment was edited on Aug 25, 18:55.

118. Doom 3 Aug 25, 2004, 16:08 Celestial Toad

Doom3 did not even have an alternate fire button.

What is your point? The weapons in the original Doom only had one firing mode, so why would the REMAKE of Doom be any different? Does the rocket launcher have to be able to send out 3 rockets that turn in a spiral or some other ridiculous nonsense like that?

Come on guys, let it go. Doom3 isn't that good

You keep saying this, yet dozens of people on this site and dozens of reviews say otherwise. Why don't you give it up?

-Albert Einstein

117. Team Fortress/Weapons Factory Aug 25, 2004, 13:35 Powerflinch

Does anyone know if anybody has plans to make these mods for Doom3? Or something like them? I want to play 2fort on Doom3.

116. Re: selling like hotcakes? Aug 25, 2004, 13:35 Beamer

I really enjoyed D3.

I wanted a game with lots of atmosphere, lots to kill, and little thinking, outside of blasting.

That's what I got. Atmosphere was most important to me, and D3 is loaded with it. SS2 has more, but it requires some thinking. I wanted something more straightforward, as most games require some thinking these days, and I was about to go into law school and wanted my brain empty.

D3 is perfect mindless entertainment.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

115. My only complaint Aug 25, 2004, 09:51 FRAGaLOT

My only complaint for Doom 3 was it's fucking price tag of about $60 (USD) WTF? Quake 3 was just over $40, and I guess this means the next game 4-5 years from onw from Id Software will be $80? And probably STILL won't be on a DVD. Wonder what the MSRP will be for HL2?

__ FRAGaLOT
http://home.comcast.net/~zalle2/blog.htm

__ FRAGaLOT

114. Re: ha Aug 25, 2004, 09:09  famished 

"And for those of you that claim it wasn't scary...either you seriously need to get your brain checked, or you're not playing it right. "

As one person rightly pointed out, the zombies in this game would have scared 13 year old girls in the 60's, but not anymore. At least not for me

113. Re: selling like hotcakes? Aug 25, 2004, 06:25  famished 

Double
This comment was edited on Aug 25, 06:26.

112. Re: selling like hotcakes? Aug 25, 2004, 06:23  famished 

"And I say 'great' because Doom3 got scores in the 90%+ range. 90% and above = great. Doom3 = not great. "

It got some. But mostly it scored lower (one as low as 60% ). Check http://www.gamerankings.com and you will see the game on average has scored 89%. This was very interesting to me as I expected, before the game came out, that it would score way higher.

This comment was edited on Aug 25, 06:25.

111. Re: HL2 fanboys Aug 25, 2004, 05:31 Tango

Sadly to say, innovation is currently found on consoles, not on the PC.
Not sure whether that's just a matter of numbers (5x the games on the consoles --> more innovation) or the Japanese willingness to experiment (and fondness for consoles) but you're absolutely right.

130 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo