Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Counter-Strike Source Beta Update

The Counter-Strike: Source Beta News Page declares that phase 2 of the Counter-Strike Source beta test has begun, and is now open to owners of Counter-Strike: Condition Zero and the ATI/HL2 bundle. The update also announces various changes in the latest version of the beta.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Nice Aug 19, 2004, 21:00 Pete

I HATE JOO!

Joking aside, shall I presume that you tried out the activation code and got it to work out ok?

yeah, steam has a new feature(to me atleast, havent really been steaming all that much) where it lets you enter the product key of purchased games, so i thought it might work and it did.

as for counter-strike steam, it just looks like a really pretty version of CS. cant really tell you how anything else has changed since im not a fan of it.

cant wait till day of defeat on steam though!

DOOM3, i got my copy. what about you?

Doin' it Big
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Very Cool Aug 19, 2004, 11:18 CrimsonPaw

Played a little CS:S last night, very cool game and HL will have HELLA potential if they utilize the physics (wish Far Cry would have). Yeah it's buggy, but it's a beta. But I'm thinking I smell a release candidate not too far in the future.

~~Crim~~

18. Re: Nice Aug 19, 2004, 10:54 Ray Marden

I HATE JOO!

Joking aside, shall I presume that you tried out the activation code and got it to work out ok?

Hoping so,
Ray

-----
HAIL ALL PLANET ZYGON...ER...THE RAY MARDEN OF THE BLUE'S NEWS.
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

17. Re: in hindsight Aug 19, 2004, 10:29 jm0ris0n

Hmm... makes me think HL2 release day is going to be a mess, whenever it is.

Agreed

16. Re: in hindsight Aug 19, 2004, 10:20 MMORPGHoD

Hmm... makes me think HL2 release day is going to be a mess, whenever it is.

15. in hindsight Aug 19, 2004, 09:48 Capt Gerkin

makes me wish I had bought a ati card with the bundle, and then asked for today off from work...

14. Re: Nice Aug 19, 2004, 09:35 sinner's saint

I think the main problem was that CS: S didn't fully preload. It was about 80% preloaded when the test began, it was trying to stream content (i.e. the maps and main menu graphics were completely missing when I launched) which froze people's machines when they tried to connect to a game server.

13. Re: Nice Aug 19, 2004, 06:18 Pete

dont worry ray, i will test it out with that 9800xt

DOOM3, i got my copy. what about you?

Doin' it Big

12. Re: Nice Aug 19, 2004, 06:09 Elvis

Interested in the Source demo test

Yeah, I mostly downloaded the beta and the dedicated server just so I could host and check out the Source tech...only played CS maybe half-dozen times!

BTW, server works fine...just seems to take a bit before people join, or can join. had 15/20 on earlier.

edit: come to 24.24.216.59

This comment was edited on Aug 19, 07:38.

11. Re: HL2 preload tomorrow Aug 19, 2004, 06:05 Krovven

I couldnt resist, I bought Condition Zero a couple days ago, just to play the beta. I had trouble connecting to servers at first, but realized rather quickly that it didn't like WinXP Firewall, even though I have Steam on the Exceptions list. It looks like a crash, and the only way out of it is to press CTRL-ALT-DEL and then ESC.

Anyways once the firewall was disabled I got in, fixed my Buy Scripts to work with CS:Source and had a blast. Game plays great, looks great and is alot of fun. The physics really add a nice touch to gameplay, especially when you can make use of a barrel or debris to throw off your opponent.

10. Re: HL2 preload tomorrow Aug 19, 2004, 05:04 Tango

Sometime during the day of august 19th, Half Life 2 will begin to preload according to this post by Gabe Newell.
Woot!
OT: I think the hl2fallout site design is excellent.

9. Re: HL2 preload tomorrow Aug 19, 2004, 04:27 Ukle

Worked perfectly for me got 87.5 fps on the test and plays like a dream. No crashes as of yet. Amazing game, great graphics and the grenade effects are truely astounding - especially the smoke + muzzle flash you just have to see it to believe it.

Plays just like old CS but with physics and amazing graphics...

8. Re: HL2 preload tomorrow Aug 19, 2004, 03:33 Scottish Martial Arts

Well I got 68 fps on the stress test but the damn thing crashed when I attempted to join a server. Ah well, I'm headed to bed.

7. Re: HL2 preload tomorrow Aug 19, 2004, 02:42 Surfer

all you have to say is gt or ultra

6. Re: Nice Aug 19, 2004, 02:42 Ray Marden

Besides CounterSMACK being evil, I cannot play this yet since I gave away CZ and no longer have my 9800xt.

Interested in the Source demo test,
Ray

-----
HAIL ALL PLANET ZYGON...ER...THE RAY MARDEN OF THE BLUE'S NEWS.
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

5. HL2 preload tomorrow Aug 19, 2004, 01:55 Wookiestick

Sometime during the day of august 19th, Half Life 2 will begin to preload according to this post by Gabe Newell.
http://www.hl2fallout.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3060
It was supposed to come out today but got held off for another day because of everyone sending benchmark stress test results of their computer running the Source engine in CS: Source.
Btw, I got 74 fps average on my stress test-- thats with a Geforce 6800 128 MB with 16 pipelines (not the 12 pipeline vanilla 6800). Thats at 1024x768-- 6x antialiasing and 4x anisotropic with all eye candy on at high detail. Vsync off of course. 61.77 driver set.

Athlon 2700+
Asus a7v8-x mobo
Geforce 6800
512x2 MB DDR 3200
WinXP SP2
-Wookiestick

This comment was edited on Aug 19, 01:59.

Love thy wookie.

4. hosting, but Aug 19, 2004, 01:52 Elvis

no one can seem to get in. i was hosting other steam stuff (DMC mostly) just fine (and also Q3, UT2004).
i see "player blah-blah validated" but everyone eventually times out. I tried setting to LAN vs. internet as some have suggested that helps deal with the overload of players trying to connect, but for me that seemed to lock everyone out as you would expect.

anyways: 24.24.216.59

3. Re: Nice Aug 19, 2004, 01:34 LIQUID-SEX

if you go to www.halflife2.net, you'll see it's because not many people can get it to work. I can play a lan game, but can't connect to any servers. get about 5 vgui errors.

2. Re: Nice Aug 19, 2004, 01:32 sponge

Weird, only 1 comment? I guess it's late in most parts of the US.

1. Nice Aug 19, 2004, 01:25 Halsy

Still needs a lot of work but it's a blast. I love that video test so we can see what HL2 is gonna' look like. Man, bring HL2 on!

And Ray Charles was shot down, but he got up to do his best.
- Van Morrison

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo