Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New ATI Drivers

This ATI Drivers Page is where to find new official version 4.8 RADEON drivers for ATI acelerators (thanks Ant). Word on the new drivers includes news of DOOM 3 and other improvements: "Direct3D driver efficiency has improved considerably. Significant performance gains are noted in multiple "CPU-bound" cases, including 3DMark2001, Aquamark 3, Comanche4, Dungeon Siege, and Unreal Tournament 2003 and 2004. Typical improvements are in the 1-5% range. OpenGL driver efficiency is also improved. Older OpenGL games such as Quake III Arena and Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory show small improvement (1-2%) at low resolutions. Call of Duty framerates are up approximately 4%. Doom3 improves considerably more (as much as 12% on some product configurations) as a result of the same software efficiency improvements."

View
55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

55. Re: Catalys Control Center? Aug 17, 2004, 15:59 MindTrigger

I have a Gainward 6800 Ultra Golden Sample for graphics, but I also have an ATI TV Wonder Pro in my machine for TV stuff. I installed the new drivers and got a killer delay on the sound for the TV. Was like watching a dubbed movie. Pissed me off, so I had to go back to the old drivers. Typical ATI. Thank god I have a Nvidia card for graphics.

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

54. Re: Catalys Control Center? Aug 17, 2004, 10:34 Ray Marden

Another day, anothre story.

This one about making 'em bigger and bigger:

http://www.the-inquirer.com/?article=17910

Linking away,
Ray

-----
HAIL ALL PLANET ZYGON...ER...THE RAY MARDEN OF THE BLUE'S NEWS.
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

53. Re: No subject Aug 17, 2004, 09:25 Ray Marden

Valve should just announce that it is discontinuing WON and moving everything to its newer technology, Steam.

As for Steam itself, the program has improved quite a bit from its original, buggy mess.

As for how it is now, I have no problem with the program. In place of installing Half-Life again and patching it manually or fighting with the ancient Sierra updater, I actually downloaded all the content via Steam for the heck of it.

Excluding my initial problem getting registered, it seemed like the service was just getting hammered, everything has worked fine. The in-game browser, though nothing special, is easy to use and better than the 'ol WON listings from early Half-Life. In just the past week, I have played well over fifty different sessions without a hitch.

Just playing TFC for now; needing to get back to DoD,
Ray

-----
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

52. Re: No subject Aug 17, 2004, 09:13 Muscular Beaver

I wouldnt mind if they took down WON when there were only a few hundred people still playing it like with all the other "dead games". Actually the other "dead games" are still being played over the internet and are still supported magically. But there were so many people playing it over WON still and DIDNT want Steam (and Steam versions) that it was quite redicilous seeing Valve simply ignoring that fact and smashing everyone with their ignorance. There would have been so many options Valve could have chosen to satisfy those people, while still taking down WON. But no way. Ignorance always wins, right? Especially when you got a game in the makings which everyone adores and forgives you everything for.
BTW, I never used the HL menu or ingame browser. It always sucked. There were always very nice alternatives which allowed you to look much more effectively for games.
Yesterday I saw a TV show about some guys presenting CS on Steam and it was so fucking redicilous, they tried to get on a server and as soon as they connected to one they got disconnected (after lots of waiting time of course). They tried it 6 or 7 times and then gave up and switched to Battlefield Vietnam. Just like it happens to me all the time when I use Steam. If you call that an improvement... well... you can have those improvements all for yourself.

________
I don't like arguing. Why can't we all just get along instead of fighting and arguing?
This comment was edited on Aug 17, 09:14.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

51. OpenGL SS Heating Up Aug 17, 2004, 08:53 Dr.Kimble

I have installed the new Cat. 4.8. I get 2 more FPS in Doom3.................However, when I run my Quantum Screen Saver (OpenGL based), my X800XT Plat. heats up 13 Celsius over base (as if I was playing Doom 3)!
ATI must fix this. I have been using this screen saver for a long time ans it did not occur before! Please help inform ATI. I sent them an e-mail but all I got back is an automated reply. They are going to have fried vid. cards if this is not fixed! Feedback please. Thanx

50. Catalys Control Center? Aug 17, 2004, 06:23 Ray Marden

http://www.the-inquirer.com/?article=17890

Providing l'inkage to L'Inq,
Ray

Edit: Woops, wrong URL!
-----
I love you, mom.
This comment was edited on Aug 17, 06:24.

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

49. Re: No subject Aug 17, 2004, 05:12 Shai

"Shai, you're basing your assumptions on ILLEGAL ALPHA material. [...]"

right, the nvidias in the xbit benchmark were probably running in mixed mode, but the 6800 doesn't have the 5900 flaw of not being able to do full precision dx9, right? so the 30% number doesn't necessarily follow. I don't believe it unless they aren't updating their engine like the far cry dudes are.

48. Re: No subject Aug 17, 2004, 03:18 BicycleRepairMan

MUSCULAR BEAVER!!!:

I see your points here, but again, when a game become 6 years old it SHOULD HAVE BEEN DEAD by now, just ask fans of Kingpin, SOF, Sin, UT99 or any other title released back then, their games are simply ignored by its developers, bugs are left unfixed etc.

WON, at some point would have had to be shut down anyway, by porting it over to steam, and even porting it all to Source, they allow the game to live longer, perhaps 6 new years or even more.. secondly, most of Steams initial problems are now gone, and it keeps improving, the old menu system in HL sucked for 6 years, you got used to it I guess, but it wasnt good.

Call me a fanboy or whatever, but I've never seen anyone support their games as long as valve has. we paid like 40$ for this, had fun for 6 years, and valve seems determined to continue its support.. some "fixes" are not so good.. well I'm willing to let it go.

Currently playing:
Red Orchestra 2.0 For UT2004, Http://www.redorchestramod.com

47. Re: ATI - heat artifacts Aug 16, 2004, 23:53 rkone

just installed the new 4.8 drivers, and my snow problem is now fixed. I get the same framerate as the 4.9 beta drivers, but now the snow is gone.

I'll have to remember that trick this winter...

46. Re: ATI - heat artifacts Aug 16, 2004, 23:35 Bad Dos

I just installed the new 4.8 drivers, and my snow problem is now fixed. I get the same framerate as the 4.9 beta drivers, but now the snow is gone.

My specs:
Windows XP Professional SP1
P4 2.4c w/ Hyperthreading enabled
1gb DDR400 dual channel (two 512 sticks)
ATI 9800xt default clock speed
Audigy 2
SATA 120gb Maxtor

45. Re: hahahahahaha Aug 16, 2004, 23:34 dubfanatic

No, if it was Novalogic it would be like this:

Novalogic: "......"
Customer: "Cool! This game is neat, but it has some problems, like this, this, this, and this."
Customer: "Hey, are you listening to me?"
Novalogic: *releases patch that fixes minor problems*
Customer: "That was nice and all, but those problems are still there.
Customers revolt and stop playing the game.
Novalogic releases sequel to game, repeat.

44. Re: No subject Aug 16, 2004, 22:04 Mad Max RW

It's a topic about graphics cards. The flame war was inevitable.

Once again, I don't know what I'm talking about but ATI sucks bawls!

43. No subject Aug 16, 2004, 22:01 RazorWynd

mad max....

you have shamed yourself

Supporter of "The Only Good fredster Is A Dead fredster" fan club

The Former Leader and Victor of the rebel movement against the dark Lord Surewood and his fiendish cohorts(bunko)

42. Re: No subject Aug 16, 2004, 21:57 Mad Max RW

Is this the driver that makes their cards not suck.

hehehe, assholes.

41. hahahahahaha Aug 16, 2004, 21:02 Shataan

Ya know, you could insert Novalogics name in there and it would apply to Joint Ops.

"Novalogic: "here buy our game, its awesome"
Customer: "sure I believe you... oh youre right its awesome and so many stuff you can do with it, it will last for years!"
Novalogic: "thats what we intended with this game!"
... Few months later...
Novalogic: "Sorry but your game is old now but lucky for you we did some new "improved" stuff for it (which is faster, more idiotic/chaotic, more bugs and forces people to play OUR versions OUR way - which you MUST like)"
Customer: "But I am perfectly satisfied with it as it is!"
Novalogic: "No, we know better whats good for you"
Customer: "But I paid for your product as it is!"
Novalogic: (and Nova-fanbois): "Thats 3 months ago"
Customer: "So? It was still earned money (not counting for fanbois who still live with their parents)"
Novalogic: "Idiot, its our game and we will do what we want. We got a big game coming out someday and our fanbois adore it already, so it will satisfy you as well"
Customer: "I dont think so"
Novalogic: "Shut up and watch. Go play J-Ops until DF 5 is out. Its awesome"
Customer: "If it`s that awesome why is the majority of the Nova community still hoping for a DF 2 mod for it?"
Novalogic (and fanbois): "SHUT UP (fag)!""

This comment was edited on Aug 16, 21:13.

40. No subject Aug 16, 2004, 20:55 RazorWynd

hey, thanx for all the help with my problem guy, your advice really helped

The Former Leader and Victor of the rebel movement against the dark Lord Surewood and his fiendish cohorts(bunko)

39. Re: Results: Aug 16, 2004, 20:41 Elvis

punisher and pr()zac thanks for the trip buff instructs.

38. Re: Results: Aug 16, 2004, 20:34 JediPunisher

i played through at these settings, and was glad i could run 8xAF - 16x must look super (or does it?).

Honestly, I can't see any difference between 8xAF and 16xAF. Just make sure you have it set through the ati control panel, and not within the game.

btw, how do you enable triple buffering?

As someone just posted, through the compatibility panel of the OpenGL settings. But be sure to enable VSync, or it won't make any difference. BTW, when using triple buffering, it's actually faster with vsync enabled.

37. Re: No subject Aug 16, 2004, 20:12 Muscular Beaver

Yep, just like other things.

________
I don't like arguing. Why can't we all just get along instead of fighting and arguing?

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

36. Re: Results: Aug 16, 2004, 20:08 Pr()ZaC

TO ENABLE TRIPLE BUFFERING:
Catalyst control panel, OpenGL, compatibility.

55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo