Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I finally got to watch Kill Bill, Volume 2 last night, after managing to fail to catch it in the theaters. Wow is that an incredible achievement! I loved the various tributes in the first movie well enough, but the increased emphasis on spaghetti western influences was that much cooler for me personally, being more of a fan of Leone than the Shaw Bros. (though Pai Mei was priceless)... The inclusion of actual Morricone music was perfect, the original Robert Rodriquez score was brilliant as well (as always). I could not be happier that Tarantino is back on the scene, and I cannot wait for Inglorious Bastards. In fact the only thing I would change about either Kill Bill movie, aside from a moment or two of Uma's dialog, would be to have had Quentin himself play Budd's boss at the strip club.

Links of the Day: Bring Back Kirk.
Stories of the Day: Idaho Man's Romantic Gesture Turns Fiery. Thanks Ant.
An Escape, and a Retreat Porches in the Sky Bind a Neighborhood (registration required).
Science!: Uranium Reactors on Campus Raise Security Concerns (registration required).
How Mars Fooled the World. I saw Mars Attacks! It was big boobs.
Cannabis extract shrinks brain tumours.
Image of the Day: Creepy Corpse Art Thing. Thanks Spiders.
Thanks Mike Martinez

View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

41. Re: No subject Aug 16, 2004, 18:33 Tango

Perhaps you meant Michael Madsen?
Er.... indeed I did. Oops.
It's because I was reading about Collateral at the time.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: No subject Aug 16, 2004, 16:22 BicycleRepairMan

"would be to have had Quentin himself play Budd's boss at the strip club"

This goes in the "worst idea ever"-pile ,IMO. I thought that actor was damn near perfect for the part, infact its almost my favourite scene in vol.2 perhaps except for (spoiler): the eyeball scene. the "superman speech" , "fish story" or infact Bill himself in every scene he does Baby, you aint kiddin'

Currently playing:
Red Orchestra 2.0 For UT2004, Http://www.redorchestramod.com

39. Re: DVD's Aug 16, 2004, 10:26 nin

Yeah, and a lot of them are running into massive problems in that regard. A lot of older shows were created by one studio/network, licensed for domestic release to another, and licensed for foreign release to a third (or more) studio/network. And then there may have been separate negotiations for VHS (whether or not it ever occurred) and random other things. It makes trying to get the rights cleared for a DVD release nightmarish. It's also a large part of the reason for the craptacular DVD region coding.

There's also music rights, in some cases. That's why you haven't seen WKRP or Miami Vice on dvd yet (though I hear Vice is coming).

I will think peaceful, happy thoughts about getting my new video card RMA'd.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

38. Re: DVD's Aug 16, 2004, 10:20 Zathrus

From the theatrical release alone, the movies broke even, if not made a nice little profit

No... no profit was made. No profit here. Just take a look at the books Mr. Tax Man, sir -- we actually lost money. Yup. In fact, we break even or lose money on every picture we make. Funny that.

studios are struggling to figure out how and when to re-release their entire catalog of shows on DVD

Yeah, and a lot of them are running into massive problems in that regard. A lot of older shows were created by one studio/network, licensed for domestic release to another, and licensed for foreign release to a third (or more) studio/network. And then there may have been separate negotiations for VHS (whether or not it ever occurred) and random other things. It makes trying to get the rights cleared for a DVD release nightmarish. It's also a large part of the reason for the craptacular DVD region coding.

37. Re: DVD's Aug 16, 2004, 10:00 Kevlar

@ Bunko..

Where I'm from (RI), local restaurants near the theaters tend to carry tickets for $6 called "prestige tickets" - otherwise it's $9.50 to buy at the theater. Sometimes they'll bust your balls for trying to use those tickets on a new release, but I enjoy the idea of dinner and a movie being so complimentary - especially when eating up before you head to the theater will save you money on not buying the popcorn.

36. Re: DVD's Aug 16, 2004, 07:28 Agrajag

This makes me wonder - are we entering the phase where the theatrical release is irrelevant? Do people really want to own their movies rather than just pay to watch them?

Personally, yes... Especially at current prices... For just
a tiny bit more than going to the movies (perhaps even a bit
less, if you factor in food costs, and/or the price of tickets
for more than one person to see the movie), you can own a
high-quality digital copy of it, usually with tons of extras
and special features, and you can watch it in the comfort of
your own home, as often as you like, whenever you choose...
What sane person wouldn't prefer to buy the DVD rather than
the movie ticket in these conditions?? Also, especially now
that DVD releases are seeming to happen very quickly after
theatrical release, too... If one had to wait for a couple
years before getting to see the movie on DVD, then it might
provide enough incentive for some people to go pay the
premium to see it first at the theater... But, when the DVD
comes out usually in less than 1 year after theatrical release,
well I'm patient enough to wait that out for the vast majority
of movies released these days... I only go to the theaters
for stuff I'm dying to see (LOTR, SW prequels, etc.)... The
rest: wait until it hits DVD, and own it for about the same
price, if not less, that I would've paid to see it at the
theater...

And how is it that people will happily buy DVD's and pirate CD's in the form of MP3's?

DVDs are well worth their fairly meager prices... CDs are
not even close to being worth the outrageous prices charged
for them... Oftentimes, you can find DVDs priced BELOW what
the average CD costs, even... For your money, a DVD gives
you a full movie in high-quality digital video and audio,
often with additional/extended scenes, and usually with the
option of listening to commentaries by the director and/or
the actors and/or other people, and usually with various other
special features, like making-of/behind-the-scenes documenaries,
etc... All this for about $20, on average, I'd say... (Some
are less, some are more, but I'd say $20 is close to average...)
On the other hand, your money for a CD buys you a handful of
songs, probably only one or two of which you actually care
about, and that's it... And, this costs you, what now, about
$15, on average? Hardly seems worth it when compaired to
the bargain you get with DVDs... (Not that that justifies
anyone pirating them, though... It just justifies not buying
them anymore, in my case... I spend my money on DVDs instead...)

35. Hell Ride ? Aug 16, 2004, 06:00 Caspar Nielsen

"Plot Outline: The story deals with the characters Pistolero (Bishop), the Gent (Madsen) and Comanche (Tarantino) and the deadly unfinished business between them."

34. Re: DVD's Aug 16, 2004, 03:38 Ray Marden

Er...what numbers are you looking at?

Kill Bill Volume 1 did $180M worldwide:
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=killbill.htm

Kill Bill Volume 2 did $150M worldwide:
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=killbill2.htm

If anything, Tarantino and Miramax have been praised for their creative approach to releasing the entire Kill Bill movie. Ultimately, it cost about $60M to make and brought in just over $330M worldwide. Even if you factor in another $60 for marketing ($30M per volume,) that is $120M spent on two volumes that brought in $330M.

From the theatrical release alone, the movies broke even, if not made a nice little profit depending on the publishing deals that were made. Releases on Pay-Per-View and cable stations like HBO will bring in more money. Once you factor in the DVD rentals and (particularly) sales, at least three different releases for each title, Kill Bill is making and will continue to make a ridiculous amount of money.

That's not to say that things are not...interesting on the movie front. In general, a studio is only going to get half of the money acquired from the theatrical release. In the past few years, more and more releases have ended up making more money from DVDs than they made in the theater - something that was completely unheard of just a few years back.

Lastly, the DVD market is very large - consider all the old series that studious are now able to make further profit on, series that actually factor in projected DVD sales to offset their budgets (24), series that are actually able to last longer or come back to television based upon their DVD sales (Family Guy,) etc. Box sets were originally held in a very skeptical light whereas now last year's series are on DVD and studios are struggling to figure out how and when to re-release their entire catalog of shows on DVD.

With more and more movies literally racing to have the highest budgets, it is becoming less and less common for movies to break even on their theatrical releases, especially solely their native theatrical releases. I would say that all movies are having their costs viewed worlwide and more and more of them are factoring in the DVD rentals and sales.

BRING FORTH THE DOUBLE, TRIPLE, AND QUADRUPLE DIPS!

Theatrical releases are far from being irrelevant, but they are only a part of the entire picture.

Both volumes of Kill Bill, essentially being one long, $60M movie, are substantial successes.

Wanting an entire Pai Mei movie! :(,
Ray

-----
In the game of the year polls please remember Super Turbo Turkey Puncher 3.
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

33. Re: DVD's Aug 16, 2004, 01:35 WarPig

It might have something to do with the exorbitant ticket prices at the movie theaters.

And then after charging that much they have the balls to make us watch freakin' commercials! I've always liked coming attractions, but as soon as a commercial comes on I feel like ripping a seat out and throwing it through the screen.

Plus I'd add that the sound and picture quality of today's home theaters is also a factor. I may be missing the input of a large crowd, which can be important, but for me that's offset by being able to pause the movie to take a leak or the ability to rerun and freeze frame the naughty bits.

-------------------------------------------------------
Doom 3? Half Life 2?

Well huzzah, huzzah. I'll just throw back my legs and pollute my britches with delight. ~ Mr. Burns

GO SEAHAWKS!

32. No subject Aug 16, 2004, 01:01 Hellbinder

Tell me guys.. Who ahve seen KB2..

Was not David Carridine Just freaking AWESEOME as Bill? This is simply the best roll he has ever played and he nailed it perfectly. What an amazing character. Violent, evil.. and yet some strange sense of honor that makes no sense, yet makes you really like the guy dispite the fact he is a Murdering bastard.

What a break from The Kung-Fu style characters he usually plays. It really points out just what a truely talented Character actor he is.

The BEST performance, and the one that Flored me was the mexican Father guy. Did you guys realize thats the same actor who played the redneck Sherrif who comes to the Church in the First one? That Guy has MAD MAD skillz as an actor. Wow..

Pentium 4 3.12ghz 800 FSB HT
Abit IC7-G MAXX2
1G Corsair DDR-400
40GB Raptor 10,000RPM SATA
120GB 7,000RPM SATA
[b]Radeon 9800XT 425/382 (CAT3.8/DX9) [color=red]3Dmark03 7074[/color][/b]
[color=blueompare [url]http://service.futuremark.com/compar
This comment was edited on Aug 16, 01:03.

The Whales name is Bob.

31. Re: DVD's Aug 16, 2004, 00:49 Bunko

This makes me wonder - are we entering the phase where the theatrical release is irrelevant? Do people really want to own their movies rather than just pay to watch them?
It might have something to do with the exorbitant ticket prices at the movie theaters. I would definately see movies more in the theater (and so would a lot of people I know) if ticket prices were lower. At the biggest local theater around here (Upstate NY) a ticket costs 9.50 (!). Plus, they keep jacking up the prices by a .25 or .50 whenever they feel like it. Plus, popcorn costs like $5 for the smallest portion. Art houses and discount theaters are cheaper but still. If it cost ~$6 I would see more movies in theaters. But hell, I hardly ever buy DVDs either, so what do I know.

And on another movie related note, there's a non-movie theater near where I live called Proctors which occasionally shows movies. It's a ritzy old place with fancy trim and a balcony. In September, John Sayles' new movie Silver City is gonna priemier there (I believe Sayles is from the area ). It costs like $2 and the director and producer will be there. Plus, the whole week before, they are showing old Sayles movies. I think I am gonna go see Lonestar and Return of the Secaucasus 7

We bury our sins here, Dave. We wash them clean.
This comment was edited on Aug 16, 00:52.

Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

30. Re: Quentin? Aug 16, 2004, 00:42 WarPig

Agreed. But he wasn't too bad in From Dusk 'Til Dawn...

I liked him in Dusk 'Til Dawn also, which btw he wrote the screenplay for. The problem I had with the film was that I thought the two characters (Clooney and Tarantino) were so compelling in their relationship with each other during the first half of the movie that I wished the story could have continued without the vampire stuff. While I still liked the over-the-top vampire action, I still think it could have been a great Tarantino crime drama.

-------------------------------------------------------
Doom 3? Half Life 2?

Well huzzah, huzzah. I'll just throw back my legs and pollute my britches with delight. ~ Mr. Burns

GO SEAHAWKS!

29. DVD's Aug 16, 2004, 00:35 Schnapple

I find it interesting that neither of the Kill Bill movies did well in the box office (first one did alright, second one didn't do nearly as well) but they sell truckloads on DVD. Even Blue, who appears to be a Tarantino fan, didn't see the second one until last night.

I remember Rick Callum saying he hoped they could get all the Star Wars movies out before people decided they didn't want to go to the theater anymore and they just wanted to buy their movies on DVD like they do (did) with CD's. I thought he was crazy - maybe not so crazy.

And how is it that people will happily buy DVD's and pirate CD's in the form of MP3's?

Schnapple

http://www.schnapple.com/

28. Re: No subject Aug 16, 2004, 00:25 Ray Marden

I still don't understand women.

There is only one answer: As men, we are always wrong.

Noting this is especially true if it is not even our fault,
Ray

-----
In the game of the year polls please remember Super Turbo Turkey Puncher 3.
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

27. No subject Aug 15, 2004, 23:12 Mono

I greatly enjoyed both volumes of Kill Bill. Even had a Twilight Zone moment on the way to see vol. 2. I was walking to the theater in Manhattan on 80-something street and Broadway, to meet my wife there. On the way, I found myself walking side by side, for about a block with Uma Thurman, until she hopped in a cab. To top it off, cradled under my arm was the Phip K. Dick collection of stories, entitled Paycheck

Of course, when I got to the theater and told my wife, she asked me if I would kiss Uma and not tell her about it. I still don't understand women.

Flames > /dev/null

26. Re: Quentin? Aug 15, 2004, 21:49 nin

I think Blue might be the only person I've ever encountered who had a positive opinion of Tarantino's acting ability. Whenever I see him on screen, it's generally an occasion for groaning.

Agreed. But he wasn't too bad in From Dusk 'Til Dawn...

I will think peaceful, happy thoughts about getting my new video card RMA'd.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

25. Re: No subject Aug 15, 2004, 20:43 Smurph

I thought KB2 was much better than KB1 mainly because KB2 had an actual story, with some actual plot and character development ;^")* ....

KB2 also didn't constantly beat me over the head with a bunch of severed limbs and blood spurts.

Maybe it's me ... but after the seeing 15 billionth severed limb/blood spurt it kind of loses its entertainment value for me.

KB1 certainly had it's moments though ... the Lucy Liu "I collect your f%$#ing head" scene was a classic ;^")*

24. No subject Aug 15, 2004, 19:25 terrapin

I also preferred vol. 2, though they were both great in very different ways, which kept things interesting. Also, the music was the best part, especially in vol. 1- I listen to the soundtrack album all the time.

23. Re: No subject Aug 15, 2004, 19:13  Blue 

a WW2 movie with QT's script, direction, and (most likely) Michael Mann, Samuel L Jackson et al, sounds promising.

Perhaps you meant Michael Madsen?

Or perhaps Michael Jackson and Aimee Mann?

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

22. Re: Quentin? Aug 15, 2004, 19:11  Blue 

I think Blue might be the only person I've ever encountered who had a positive opinion of Tarantino's acting ability.

Perhaps, or just that he has a certain thing that he does that can work, like Jimmie explaining how he doesn't need to be told how good his coffee is ("When Bonnie goes shopping she buys shit!") in Pulp Fiction. The strip club boss character had the same sort of fervent self-importance, something well suited to Q.

Meanwhile:

I've come to this conclusion to pretty much anything Quentin related - in front or behind the camera - over the last couple of years, particularly when he gives an interview or otherwise shares his 'insights'.

I have to sort of agree there, he really does make me cringe at these moments, just because of immodest references to has fans and his legacy. Like in the intro to the Jackie Brown DVD where he apologizes to fans of the film who have been suffering for so long waiting for the DVD version... it's like now not only does he have legions of fans, but so do each of his individual films.

Can't do anything to diminish my own enjoyment of the films however.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo