Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Update

Steam News (thanks Frans) announces: "In preparation for the next phase of the beta, we have made the Source Dedicated Server (SRCDS) available via the Dedicated Server Update Tool. In addition, an update for Counter-Strike: Condition Zero and Counter-Strike has been released. Steam will update itself automatically when you restart."

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: HL2 multi-player Aug 12, 2004, 21:30 Undead Scottsman

They've been quoted as saying that they're going to port all the older engine content to the Source engine.. Whether or not it'll all be free or come with Half-Life 2, or be sold seperately is another issue entirely.

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: HL2 multi-player Aug 12, 2004, 21:13 Hollowguy

Shortly after this year's E3, I read in various magazines that TFC, CS, and HLDM were all being ported to the Source engine. Now, after some research, it would seem that CS:Source is all there is. Either the press misunderstood or Valve had another change of heart.

I guess the best thing to do is wait until the game is in your hands and read for yourself on the box what it entails - apparently "official announcements" don't mean much.

Oh well...back to whatever I was doing.

26. Re: HL2 multi-player Aug 12, 2004, 20:07 Undead Scottsman

Uhh, no.. Valve has said repeatedly that Half-Life: Source is going to be singleplayer only, initially. Also, Valve has not commented on what kind of multiplayer is (or isn't) coming with Half-Life 2, other than Counter-Strike: Source. So the retail version MIGHT come with DMC: Source, TFC: Source, Ricochet: Source DoD: Source, and straight up HL2 DM... but it also might not.. no one knows at the moment because Valve isn't talking.

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

25. Re: HL2 multi-player Aug 12, 2004, 18:40 Warhawk

If I read post #23 correctly, it IS in there.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

24. Re: HL2 multi-player Aug 12, 2004, 18:14 seenitall

all I have time to post is, death to steam

and not having a standard HL2 multiplayer is just dumb

23. Re: HL2 multi-player Aug 12, 2004, 18:14 Hollowguy

...so there could be high CON DM and TEAM DM games for peope who just want the adult equivalent of Dr Badger.

Valve is making CS, TFC, and HLDM into the Source Engine for the multiplayer aspect of HL2. CS:Source is the only game available in the beta that I know of - probably because it is the most popular. (Most popular of the three mods listed)

Edit: I added an "e" to make "th" into "the" - damn keyboard is conspiring against me.

This comment was edited on Aug 12, 18:15.

22. Re: HL2 multi-player Aug 12, 2004, 17:16 Awesome Spume

I appreciate that Counter Strike is the most popular online FPS game in the universe (that we know) but isn't it kind of arrogant to assume that everyone who buys HL2 will want to play CS...2.?

I'm an old fart who mainly plays SP but pops online once a week to or so to get slaughtered. And enjoys it. If I've decided to go online it's because I want to compete in the virtual world of last to blast. I've no intention of being there long, I just want a quick fix. If I can't DM or T-DM or wotever in HL2 then I have to play CS2. Which means 30 seconds to get acquainted and 1.5 seconds to figure out how to respawn. Young'uns should be free to play the games they want, secure in the knowledge that the older people they've played against will maliciously determine their futures based on how cocky they seem ("oh... so you're in a clan...well I think we have an opening in the mail room...") but isn't it more sensible to cater for the broadest range of players, so there could be high CON DM and TEAM DM games for peope who just want the adult equivalent of Dr Badger.

21. Re: What is CZ Aug 12, 2004, 17:06 Cutedge

Just because I think CS is entertaining (not the greatest game, NS is much better) and I don't think that Steam sucks is a "plant". Again i ask you people, do you remember the patches you love so much? do you remember that everyone who hosted cs1.5 had their server crashed from people getting it and it felt like half the internet went down?

If you don't like CS, deal.
If you don't like Steam, deal.

It's a 52-word update. Ignore it if it pisses you off that much.

This comment was edited on Aug 12, 17:07.

20. Re: What is CZ Aug 12, 2004, 15:26 FourPak

Steam farts
Steamers? (eh maybe that's too regional a reference)

19. Re: No subject Aug 12, 2004, 14:55 MMORPGHoD

AHHHHHHHHH.... attack of the CS-script-kiddies-turned-Valve-marketing-agents-from-hell ! ! !

Be steamed. Resistance is futile.

18. Re: No subject Aug 12, 2004, 14:42 nin

Everybody nosedive
Hold your Breath
Count to 5

I will think peaceful, happy thoughts about getting my new video card RMA'd.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

17. Re: What is CZ Aug 12, 2004, 14:42 sinner's saint

"DDI.... yeah the marketing machine is eating up kids lol!

I hope these guys realise that everytime somwthing like this is posted online, companies send in their drones to boost the hype! Lets say for example I made Doom3 a movie, My drones would comme in here and talk about how they saw the movie and where blown away. Thus creating a wave of kids who think someone on their fav board got got to see the movie early and is giving them feedback! NOT!!! Thsi is done with movies, music, games etc... so take these comment sections with a grain of salt! The suites have learned how to used places like these to launch BS products!"

There are also martians in the atmosphere releasing anus gases that makes us all want to buy Half Life 2! I shot one of the aliens and he evaporated before touching the ground but I collected his anus gas and used it on Gabe himself and now he bought 50 copies of his own source code LOLOL! Take that Valve lol!!!!

16. No subject Aug 12, 2004, 14:40 space captain

yeh but if you put on a hat made of tinfoil you will be immune to all their marketing technologies

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

15. Re: What is CZ Aug 12, 2004, 14:31 4D-Boxing

DDI.... yeah the marketing machine is eating up kids lol!

I hope these guys realise that everytime somwthing like this is posted online, companies send in their drones to boost the hype! Lets say for example I made Doom3 a movie, My drones would comme in here and talk about how they saw the movie and where blown away. Thus creating a wave of kids who think someone on their fav board got got to see the movie early and is giving them feedback! NOT!!! Thsi is done with movies, music, games etc... so take these comment sections with a grain of salt! The suites have learned how to used places like these to launch BS products!

14. I think.... Aug 12, 2004, 13:40 Hollowguy

DDI is saying that he wants to be able to buy the game through Steam online, and have it load as soon as it is available instead of waiting for the UPS guy.

Just my guess..

13. Re: What is CZ Aug 12, 2004, 13:35 Hollowguy

Valve is making CS, TFC, and original HLDM into the Source Engine for the multiplayer aspect of HL2. I'm not sure if the "original HLDM' means an improved version of the old one or an 'original-styled HLDM' based on the new one.

I'm looking forward to TFC:Source as well - I have no idea how the physics will affect gameplay though (conc-jumping, rocket-jumping, pipe-jumping, etc...are going to be affected by it.)

I guess there's going to be 40 person De_dust as well.

Steam is fine. I'm not going to "defend it" or anything, but runs with no problems and I use it frequently. (For those who may be wondering how it is)

This comment was edited on Aug 12, 13:38.

12. Enforcer Aug 12, 2004, 13:32 Tumbler

You read my mind Enforcer, I didn't understand if DDI was saying he likes steam or doesn't. Download something legally vs pre-order stuff? Don't you pre-order through steam as well? You can download all kinds of games from Fileplanet legally.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

11. Re: What is CZ Aug 12, 2004, 13:28 Enforcer

Sorry DDI but that didn't make any sense what so ever. Don't you remember not so long ago that people had to pre-order CS:CZ, you could pre-load it onto your computer but you still had to wait for the release date to play the game.

The only thing it saves u is leaving your house and having a CD to collect.

10. Re: What is CZ Aug 12, 2004, 13:14 DDI

STEAM OWNS YOU BITCHES! I would like to be able to download a paid for game legally instead of putting up with pre order bullshit.

9. Re: What is CZ Aug 12, 2004, 12:57 Tehol

Death to Smoochy ....err... STEAM.

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo