Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DOOM 3 Flare & Duct Tape Mods

The DOOM 3 Flare Mod changes the hand grenades in the game into flares, allowing you to see better into those dark areas, and also warn oncoming motorists if your vehicle is disabled by the side of the road. Also, the Duct Tape mod for DOOM 3 has been updated, and now also supports the shotgun.

View
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

46. Re: If Anyone Cares... Aug 10, 2004, 08:31 Some Dude

Game, set, and match.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

45. Re: If Anyone Cares... Aug 10, 2004, 04:32 Futtbucker

Wouldn't it be easier to just use "give all" and "god" in the console instead of using a "mod" like that?

Also from the readme:

Q: IMAWUSS mod? What the hell?
A: It's a joke. Relax. No one is questioning your manhood, the size of your penis, or your sexual preference.

Q: Don't call me a wuss you fucking fag!
A: I'm not calling anyone a wuss. It's a joke. You know, tongue-in-cheek? No, not MY tongue, it's an expression. Besides which, does it really matter? Why should you care what some 14 year olds on the intarweb think of you using this mod? Let's face it, anyone who thinks you're less of a man (or woman for that matter) because you use a mod like this doesn't even warrant the effort to roll your eyes at.

Q: But dude, this mod makes the game WAAAAY too easy!
A: So don't use it. I'm not holding a BFG to your head. As much as I'd like to.

Q: U R A PUSSY IF U USE CHEAT MODZ!!!!!11one
A: Fine, I'm a pussy. Now go back to your 'DBZ epz' like a real man.

44. never mind Aug 10, 2004, 03:04 Some Dude

This comment was edited on Aug 10, 04:03.

43. Re: If Anyone Cares... Aug 9, 2004, 16:45 beigemore

I've made a small mod that was built on the ductape mod.

Wouldn't it be easier to just use "give all" and "god" in the console instead of using a "mod" like that?

Therefore, you have to seriously consider whether to use a weaker weapon that has a light attached to it or pull out the big guns and shoot blindly in the darkness. Keeps the game strategic.

...or you could just play the single player game the way the developers intended and actually use skill to fight in darker areas. I don't see why people are making such a big deal about the lack of light in some places. I finished the game on veteran mode in two days and never had a problem with fighting in the dark. It was too easy.

42. If Anyone Cares... Aug 9, 2004, 12:56 Futtbucker

I've made a small mod that was built on the ductape mod. If you're interested, you can grab it from a torrent:

http://lokitorrent.com/download.php?id=12603&name=IMAWUSS_Mod_v1.0.zip%5Bwww.lokitorrent.com%5D.torrent

From the readme:

Changes:

- Altered max ammo for nearly all weapons to 999 (exception to the Soulcube and non ammo related weapons)

- Altered clip sizes for nearly all weapons to the following:
Pistol now holds 24 rounds
Shotgun now holds 16 rounds
Machinegun now holds 150 rounds
Chaingun now holds 60 rounds
Plasma now holds 150 rounds

- Increased shotgun firerate by almost 40%

- Added flashlight effect to Pistol, Shotgun, Machinegun, Chaingun, Plasma, and BFG

41. I love the duct tape mod Aug 9, 2004, 10:55 Minoc Drakkir

Downloaded the duct tape mod and I love it. The author of the mod smartly only allows the flashlight to appear on the Shotgun & Machine gun. Therefore, you have to seriously consider whether to use a weaker weapon that has a light attached to it or pull out the big guns and shoot blindly in the darkness. Keeps the game strategic. Additionally, the DTM (duct tap mod) has a VERY narrow cone that is very bright, which has the effect of retaining the atmosphere in the game. (You really can't see much with the DTM.) Plus the brightness of the light washes out any detail and coloring, allowing some of the monsters to remain concealed if you pass over them too quickly as your sweeping the room. Because of this I still find myself using the main flashlight (which seems like a flood light compared to the DTM).

Once, I was using the shotgun and swept the room, and thought I saw an arm behind a column... I focused on the area where I thought I saw something and didn't see any additional movement... I walked towards the column, nervous as hell, when all of a sudden an IMP jumped right in front of me, his face right in the narrow cone of the light... scared the living hell out of me. I think this was much scarier than if I was just walking in the darkness and something starting hitting me, or conversely using the main flashlight, I would have surely seen the IMP in the much larger lightmap and the suspense would not had been as high.

But hey, to each his own. Its your copy of the game, enjoy it anyway you see fit. Don't like the DTM, don't use it. But for me, it makes the game much better and much scarier.

Drakkir out, peace!

40. Re: Always the greener grass Aug 9, 2004, 09:50 instant

I hope world peace and DNF are released before HL2

:-)

Edit:
I hope DNF creates World Peace before HL2 is released.

This comment was edited on Aug 9, 09:50.

39. Re: Always the greener grass Aug 9, 2004, 09:45 nin

I Hope DNF is released before HL2 :-)

Why not ask for World Peace while you're at it?

I will think peaceful, happy thoughts about my new video card, in hopes that it will work.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

38. Re: Always the greener grass Aug 9, 2004, 09:39 instant

I Hope DNF is released before HL2 :-)

37. Always the greener grass Aug 9, 2004, 09:24 RegularX

I wonder when HL2 comes out if everyone is going to complain that it's not as good as Duke Nukem Forever.

36. Re: No subject Aug 9, 2004, 08:44 Geese

"Eah, still haven't purchased the game yet."

Check.

" These are welcome mods, screw how Id wanted you to play the game, it's retarted. "

Interesting comment coming from someone who hasn't even played the game yet. I can understand those who played and determined they didn't like the feel of it...but to slam the game before even playing it? I also felt that the flashlight /gun thing was going to be a little clunky before I played it...then I *did* play it, and I happen to love it.

"Half Life 2 can't come out soon enough. I need a game with substance and technology."

Let's not forget that HL2 has been in development for a whole 2 years longer than Doom 3. And *its* still not out yet. I find it interesting how you can simultaneously slam one game and praise another without having played either of them. - Just my lame observation.

I happen to love what they did with Doom 3, and I'm also looking forward to what other game dev companies can do with the engine, by developing it further...

Happy gaming!

Spread the O&A Virus on XM Radio Channel 202
http://www.opieandanthony.com
http://www.xmradio.com

35. Re: No subject Aug 9, 2004, 08:41 DDI

It's not logical that you wouldn't be able to tape the flashlight to your head or arm for that matter.

Yea its real logical to tape something to your body while you are in combat with hordes that can jump 10 feet in a split second. The flashlight would be knocked clear off your body into some dark corner and then you'd be proper fucked. And maybe just maybe taping it to your head might not be too logical either, it makes yourself an easy target.

Buncha whiners. Play the game as it was meant to be played and stop whining that its too hard waaaa.

This comment was edited on Aug 9, 08:43.

34. Re: No subject Aug 9, 2004, 08:28 RegularX

Realistic realistic people use that word way too much. It's not about realism, it's about LOGIC. It's not logical that you wouldn't be able to tape the flashlight to your head or arm for that matter.

It would if you had no duct tape.

33. Re: Real Moral of the Story Aug 9, 2004, 08:14 instant

Doh.. duct tape, who needs it.

You need a Machine-gun firing MAGLITE! :-)

http://ecstatica.mine.nu/3pics/games/d3/MagLite2160PRO.jpg

32. Re: No subject Aug 9, 2004, 06:11 Zyrxil

Realistic realistic people use that word way too much. It's not about realism, it's about LOGIC. It's not logical that you wouldn't be able to tape the flashlight to your head or arm for that matter.

31. Re: No subject Aug 9, 2004, 04:07 beigemore

I thought both AVP games were too dark, though I did enjoy playing them. I didn't have a problem with Doom 3's darkness levels.

The whole flashlight thing is completely idiotic. Is the game supposed to be realistic or not?

Yes, it is completely realistic with a corporate science facility on mars that is researching teleportation technology and accidentally teleports to hell and brings hell to mars... not to mention the realistic zombies and plasma rifles. It's a game. Play it for what it is.

Would you rather all games merge into one giant game so you have every possible piece of equipment ever conceived in a game? If it would work as a pacifier for you, then perhaps it's not too far fetched after all.

30. Re: No subject Aug 9, 2004, 02:45 AirforceMook

Yeah, it's a damn good thing iD doesn't have a history of making the best run 'n' shoot games around, or... or... geez, they'd be famous and have millions of people playing their games... oh wait, they do, so why are you complaining after you BOUGHT it?

The whole point of the game is atmosphere -- hence it being very dark. If it was light it'd be near impossible to hide an enemy.

And about the bodies dissappearing... hmm... that's a TOUGHIE. It's only about the most graphically intense game to date, and many people are having slow framerates just running it as it is. But I guess YOU take precedence, so they should just make it so the game crawls for those other PESKY users who have slow machines... What a bunch of whiners, complaining about a game that costs $50 that won't run on their machines... gaaaawd. It's a good thing that iD's not trying to make the game playable and fun for everyone.

29. No subject Aug 9, 2004, 01:57 Silicon Avatar

Heh, you people act like this is your first Id game or something.

They make and license their game engines. You buy their games for eye candy and run-n-gun gameplay. If you haven't figured that out by now, whose fault is it really? :p

28. No subject Aug 9, 2004, 01:05 Planet X

Eah, still haven't purchased the game yet. All the reviews have confirmed my worst fears, standard run and gun with the excellent tech we can expect from Id. The whole flashlight thing is completely idiotic. Is the game supposed to be realistic or not? If so it's impossible to believe there is not one single hat lying around with lamps on it, or that in the far future weapons don't have light ampliphication modules. Howabout night vision goggles, guess that is too high tech for the future too. The biggest insult to common sense is that the marine can't fire a damn weapon while holding a flashlight at the same time. Id really blew it here by forcing atmosphere and forgoing all logic and common sense at the same time. These are welcome mods, screw how Id wanted you to play the game, it's retarted.

Not digging the cheap respawning I've been reading about either. There is nothing I hate more than having an enemy respawn behind me. It's a cheap way to make a game harder. Apparently Id said to hell with AI, we're going to make the game really dark, make your marine some incompetant invalid who cant shoot a gun and hold a flashlight at the same time, and have monsters spawn behind you to make the game seem creepy and hard.

I may buy the game now that Target has it for $45 just to see the technology. But it's apparent that other developers will use the tech to make a real game, since Id is still using 11 year old gameplay elements wrapped in a new engine. Half Life 2 can't come out soon enough. I need a game with substance and technology.

27. Re: No subject Aug 8, 2004, 23:24 kyleb

here is a little mod to make your plasma and rockets give off a glow kind of like the imp fireballs and bfg do, though not as big as the bfg and with the right colors to match the projectiles of course:

http://www.sunflower.com/~kyleb/wepglow.zip

This comment was edited on Aug 8, 23:25.

46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo