Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I started experiencing a crash playing DOOM 3 last night, but I'm not panicking just yet. I had just tweaked some settings, so it's possible some un-tweaking today will put things back in order. Also, in one of those things that geeks are prone to do on occasion, the game had been running unattended for several hours before I actually sat down to play, so while I don't think this machine has any heat issues, it's also possible it was just running a little hot at the time.

R.I.P.: Red Adair, world-renowned firefighter, dies. Thanks Mike Martinez.

Play Time: HUB.lo. Thanks David Webber.
Stories of the Day: Man cuts off penis in sex protest. Thanks Calleen Tokashiki.
Prozac 'found in drinking water'.
Science!: Stealth wallpaper keeps company secrets safe.
Hubble hit by instrument failure.
Media of the Day: Even Sicker with One Wheel. Thanks Bradley Neumeister.
The Valuable Bowl. Thanks Bunko.
Images of the Day: Foundphotos. Thanks Devicer.
Follow-up: Scientists Work to Preserve 'JFK' Recording.
Thanks Mike Martinez

View
58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

58. Doom 3 Stuff Aug 13, 2004, 16:57 Celestial Toad

So can anyone tell a HUGE difference between the Medium and High Detail settings in Doom 3?

Sure it looks a little better in High Detail, but it isn't a staggering improvement. And I get waaaay better framerates on my semi-prehistoric graphics card. (128meg Geforce 4 Ti 4600)

And I discovered something about Doom 3 recently. There are people complaining that it isn't scary, and for Rookie and Marine Difficulties I would tend to agree.

But I just started over on "Veteran" and it is scaring me A LOT more, simply because stuff that jumps out is much more likely to be a threat and kill me. I think playing on Veteran or Nightmare difficulty would dramatically improve the scare factor for a lot of people.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

-Albert Einstein

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

57. Re: doom 3 Aug 9, 2004, 11:54 Rolphus

I hope Rolphus does not take personal offense; from what I have seen of him/her, I have no major issues with Rolphus.

Of course not, Ray - I started the discussion because I was curious to know what people's reactions would be!

I really only think laws should be broken under a morale basis if there is a true need or injustice being made. I may feel that I need certain games, but I actually do not.

Heck, I had a total of three pre-orders, yet did I steal the game or did that mean I got to go out and download it sooner than others? Surely I should get faster service since I had three pre-orders and Rolphus/whomever had one and I completely pre-paid for two of them, right?

You have a good point there - but then quite a few people have had the game for over a week now (I think?), and I'm still not going to get it until Friday. One of my major issues for wanting the game "at release" was that I knew it would be essentially impossible to avoid finding out a LOT more about it than I wanted to. I wanted as much of the game as possible to be a surprise.

Of course I don't need the game. I do however want to have the game presented to me in the best possible light, and after spending far too much money on PC upgrades, I didn't want the "scare factor" to be lessened hugely by knowing pretty much everything about the game.

I first learned that the UK release was going to be 2 days after the US one, and that wasn't a problem for me. However, when the US release came earlier than expected (3rd August instead of 5th, IIRC), and the UK release got pushed back to the 13th, I cracked and decided to download the warez version. Yes, I'm weak. Yes, I'll pay for the game. Yes, it's probably morally and legally unsound. I submit myself for a whipping at the Post of Math (or whatever the current area for whipping people is ;)). However, as much as this all sounds like a justification, I still feel that I made the best choice for my enjoyment of the game

Anticipating many edits of this post...

56. Re: DOOM flashlight problem Aug 9, 2004, 10:56 complicity

WUSSIES! Go play with your kiddie Chewbacca dolls while ingesting your WUSSY little “hot” sauce.
I bent my wookie.

I was under the impression that fire sauce wasn't everywhere in the States, either. Am I wrong?

A message of hope to those who choose to hear it,
and a warning to those who do not.

55. Re: DOOM flashlight problem Aug 9, 2004, 10:30 Rethcir

Plus, it let me say how I love the shotgun (for SP). BEST GUN EVAR.

Personally, I'm a little underwhelmed by the shotty in D3. The spread on it is even worse than the SSG in Doom 2, so you really need to be like two feet away from anything to get a one-shot kill. I suppose the firing pattern is more realistic but I miss the days of easily-killed zombies. Either way the weapons seem to be pretty nicely balanced, in that you definitely want to use the machine gun/chain gun from a distance (and thank god the machine gun doesn't kick up like in Q2!) and the shotty when you're good and close. The plasma (the last weapon I've gotten) seems to be pretty happy either close or far. Can't wait to pick up the other weapons, and to see what kind of mod weapons come out later! (lightsaber anyone?)

This comment was edited on Aug 9, 10:30.

54. Re: DOOM flashlight problem Aug 9, 2004, 10:15 Enahs

We don't have fire-level hot sauce at Taco Bell here in Canada. Not around where I live, anyway. Now I want Taco Bell, thanks a lot, Enahs!

Well, I had already previously thought this, but now since you say no “fire” sauce in Canada.
Canada is full of wussies!

WUSSIES! Go play with your kiddie Chewbacca dolls while ingesting your WUSSY little “hot” sauce.

Just got the BFG about 15 mins ago. Impressive, but I don't see myself using it much. Heck, I've barely touched the rocket launcher except to test it out.

I also never really used the BFG or Rocket Launcher (I have long since finished the game).
I was always saving the ammo for them in fear I would need it from some toughies or huge amounts of enemies.

_____
Enahs
I don’t wanna…You do it.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

53. The Valuable Bowl Aug 9, 2004, 04:38 Carch

Are you kidding with that crap?

I want my five minutes back (or however long it was). Seriously. Dumb.

52. Re: Aug 9, 2004, 04:17 ScareCrow

No crashes with DooM, but my sound keeps cutting out every so often and I have to exit the game completely to get it back, which is annoying... I'm putting this down to my having an NForce board and using Soundstorm... Curious to hear if anyone else is having the same or similar problems?

Heres a few console commands that I just find handy to know.
(console is called with ctrl+alt+~)
s_restart restarts the sound system
bind binds a command to a key
(usage; bind k s_restart that should restart sound every time you hit k)

vid_restart restarts renderSystem (no more quiting
your ongoing game just because you tweaked your settings.)
And finaly for the boys that's running the self shadowmod
all you would have had to do was type,
G_showplayershadow 1.%) (Is that realy considered a Mod)

I just like knowing this stuff, and by the way id .pak
files can be opened and unpacked with winrar.:D

51. Re: DOOM flashlight problem Aug 9, 2004, 01:47 banddirector

let me say how I love the shotgun

I've been enjoying the ducttape and ungibbable mods, but I have to say I'd pay money to get a automatic shotgun mod, like the "jackhammer" shotgun in Far Cry. Now *that* would kick some serious demon ass!

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

50. Re: DOOM flashlight problem Aug 9, 2004, 01:30 Ray Marden

<cough, cough, spoiler cough, cough>

Don't feel bad using the weapon more. I mean, not much of a reason to be a complete ammo whore considering all your weapons, including the BFG, get taken away from you when you go to Hell.

Clearing my throat; having a cold or something :),
Ray

Edit: Used secret text code.
-----
In the game of the year polls please remember Super Turbo Turkey Puncher 3.
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
I love you, mom.
This comment was edited on Aug 9, 01:33.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

49. Re: doom 3 Aug 9, 2004, 01:28 Ray Marden

Well, I am looking solely at things on a morale basis.

I hope Rolphus does not take personal offense; from what I have seen of him/her, I have no major issues with Rolphus.

I really only think laws should be broken under a morale basis if there is a true need or injustice being made. I may feel that I need certain games, but I actually do not.

Heck, I had a total of three pre-orders, yet did I steal the game or did that mean I got to go out and download it sooner than others? Surely I should get faster service since I had three pre-orders and Rolphus/whomever had one and I completely pre-paid for two of them, right?

Absolutely not - that is ridiculous.

It is not just the harm, it is not my or Rolphus' decision to make - that should come down to id or Activision. Although not direct, I say such actions support pirating/stealing.

I want Half-Life 2 and I would presume a number of other people want it as well. Does that make it ok to go out and download it now? What about S.T.A.L.K.E.R.? I plan on buying these and other titles - does that make it ok?

Nope. As much as I want it to, it does not justify the action. It is that same question of what it is that I can do versus what it is I should do. Hopefully, I make the distinction and make the "right" choice.

Ass for STTP3, can I have a "p\/\/n3d," please?

Thinking PotS is a PitA,
Ray

-----
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

48. Re: RE: Sound problems Aug 9, 2004, 01:25 tron

tracked them down for you.... 400W version

hmmmm... i looked into them and found a review that stated they are not surround speakers, and by that they mean thay cannot handle an audio track encoded with 5.1 surround. i also have a 4.1 channel set-up and D3 wouldn't detect it as surround at all. i figured it wouldn't (with no center channel) but gave it a go just to see. afaik D3 is encoded for typical 2-channel stereo sound, and 5.1 surround. a 4.1 system won't be able to play 5.1 - because, as i said before, there is no center channel! mine plays sound from the rear speakers, but it is just the same sounds that are in the fronts. read this for more info: http://www.planetdoom.com/doom3/articles/d3sound.shtml

- tron -
---
"tron is big and tron is full of action... it's a hell of a ride!"
-from the Tron 2.0 box

47. Re: DOOM flashlight problem Aug 9, 2004, 01:16 Warhawk

"We don't have fire-level hot sauce at Taco Bell here in Canada. Not around where I live, anyway. Now I want Taco Bell, thanks a lot, Enahs!

I'm a plasma whore, myself. I also like the machinegun quite a bit as well. Not so much the chaingun, however."

The fire sauce is GOOOOOOOD!

I use the shotgun about 90% of the time, the machine gun most of the rest. Sometimes the pistol, just for fun on the zombies, flaming skulls, and spider-things.

I just got to the Communications/Comm Tower level, so I may alter gun usage. I still have a ways to go.

Really enjoying the game.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

46. Re: doom 3 Aug 9, 2004, 01:12 complicity

Basically, you are just trying to rationalize some form of substitution. Pay for that over there, take this over here? You took an action solely because you could or were impatient? Looking purely at morals, your life needed this game...why? I would hate to have that mentality run rampant in the world.
I think you might be overreacting a little bit, Ray. I don't see the harm in getting a game early (however that comes about) because the release in your own country has been delayed for whatever reason. id still gets the sale, and he gets to play the game at the same time as us N.America people. Victimless crime.
Ah yes, good ol' STTP3. I think I've almost got it beat!

45. Re: RE: Sound problems Aug 9, 2004, 01:10 Warhawk

"afaik surround sound is encoded as 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1, i have never heard of 4.1 encoding..."

tron-

fyi, this may be why I was having problems going back to surround:

http://www.forumplanet.com/planetdoom/topic.asp?fid=5733&tid=1443287

When I get some time, I'll have to check it out, but I'm pretty much sticking w/headphones for the sanity of my wife and the sleep of 18-month old son, and therefore my own health and safety.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

44. Re: DOOM flashlight problem Aug 9, 2004, 01:06 complicity

Well, it was either correct your math or tie you naked to the flagpole with a table and a huge pile of bologna with a sign that says “Throw bologna at complicities ass, see who can make it stick in the most uncomfortable way and win a packet of taco sauce stolen from Taco Bell (your choice between Mild, Hot & Fire!)”.
Well that was... vivid.

We don't have fire-level hot sauce at Taco Bell here in Canada. Not around where I live, anyway. Now I want Taco Bell, thanks a lot, Enahs!

I'm a plasma whore, myself. I also like the machinegun quite a bit as well. Not so much the chaingun, however.

Just got the BFG about 15 mins ago. Impressive, but I don't see myself using it much. Heck, I've barely touched the rocket launcher except to test it out.

43. Re: doom 3 Aug 9, 2004, 00:50 Ray Marden

Er...are you not down on both counts?

Legally, you took something that you did not pay for. You are planning to pay for, yet have not actually paid for, the box and CD, not some stolen war3z copy. You stole Doom 3 online.

Morally, you are no better off. You could not wait until you received the box and CD? You downloaded a pirate/war3z version of the game? You, regardless of your so called intent, supported the stealing of the Doom 3 code.

Basically, you are just trying to rationalize some form of substitution. Pay for that over there, take this over here? You took an action solely because you could or were impatient? Looking purely at morals, your life needed this game...why? I would hate to have that mentality run rampant in the world...

Worried that you might even ponder this being morally just,
Ray

-----
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

42. Re: RE: Sound problems Aug 9, 2004, 00:34 Warhawk

"no kidding... i'll have to go look into those speakers... maybe learn something new!"

tron-

tracked them down for you.... 400W version

http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=101

41. Re: doom 3 Aug 9, 2004, 00:11 MrAsh

I would say legally bad, morally okay.

I did the same thing. Downloaded it to play it two days earlier than I could buy it. Went out and bought a copy on release, saved my save games, and uninstalled the fake version.

40. Re: doom 3 Aug 9, 2004, 00:04 Rolphus

doom 3 officially sucks, i just unistalled it from both boxes.

Wow, it's official? Oops. I'd better uninstall it as well.

Here's a slightly different question for everyone:

I have a preorder on Doom3, and it doesn't come out here (in the UK) until August 13th. Regardless of whether I complete it or not before then, I'm going to buy it. However, as I'm the most impatient person on the planet (well, close), I downloaded it the moment I could get my hands on it.

It's easily given me my money's worth so far, as posting here at 5am after playing far too much Doom can testify

Now, am I morally in the wrong here? Legally, what would the charge be? As I've pre-ordered the game, it can't be theft (it's not purchaseable here yet, and I can prove I plan to buy it)... it's an interesting one for me. Any thoughts?

39. Re: doom 3 Aug 9, 2004, 00:03 Rolphus

Edit: Double post!
This comment was edited on Aug 9, 00:05.

58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo