Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DOOM 3 Under Linux

This DOOM 3 and Winex CVS Instruction Page outlines how to get DOOM 3 up and running under Linux with the help of the WINE not-emulator. The method "requires a lot of work and a good deal of klugery" in the words of Agrajag, who sent this along, but it does provide a chance for those with penguin-powered PCs to check out the game while waiting for the promised official Linux version.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: No subject Aug 7, 2004, 06:00 Pedle Zelnip

major dropoff for ATI going from Windows to Linux

Hmm, actually I found almost no difference between Q3 under Windows and Q3 under Fedora Core 2 with an ATI radeon 8500. Go figure.

PZ
------------
Reading: Just textbooks as I HAVE FINAL EXAMS!!!!

PZ
------------
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: No subject Aug 6, 2004, 22:11 Mono

Sorry I mis-typed. My previous post should read a major dropoff for ATI going from Windows to Linux. Nvidia performs pretty much evenly from one OS to the other. ATI's 3D, and IMHO dual-display driver support for linux, sucks.  
Flames > /dev/null

23. Re: No subject Aug 6, 2004, 20:27 saturnine

. Is this true? I thought ATI's Linux drivers sucked.
ATI's linux drivers do suck. Nvidia's Linux drivers on the other hand kick ass.

22. Re: No subject Aug 6, 2004, 19:53 ethernut

I certainly hope x86_64 is supported, my dual opteron Fedora Core 2 box is drooling in anticipation.

21. Re: Doom 3 copy protection Aug 6, 2004, 19:49 Jedi Knight USMC

For those that have Clone CD and are running into the "error" message, load the CD Clone tray(where it shows up in your bottom right area of Win)and then right click on the icon and deselect "hide CDR media". That did it for me and it's been happy playing since then.

20. Re: No subject Aug 6, 2004, 19:38 ZzeusS

Heck no I haven't finished it yet. I'm trying to stay awake after running around a dark bunch of metal finding keycards for 4000 hours now.

19. Re: No subject Aug 6, 2004, 19:18 sadef

holy fsck dude tyou just made everyone stoopider.

Stolen from someone else: everytime you pirate doom 3 jesus fucks you in your ear canal

18. No subject Aug 6, 2004, 18:55 aldo_14

What I'd like to see is a system that allows people with the wherewithall (resources) to subsidise people who have fuck all. Right now I can't drop into EB and peel off a deca-C to fix up the next few dozen buyers. Wouldn't it be nice if people with the resources could push a game they loved at the general public. Sort of, peer to peer with pockets. All we have now is people who exhort the "general public" to buy games, with no consideration of the truth that a helluva lot of people around the world don't have that money to spend. Sure you could say they don't have PCs either and that there are probably better ways to spend the money, and you'd be right. Without doubt. I just love PC games.

A fixed time-to-budget release (highly unlikely) would be nice,as would some form of regulation that allowed freeware distribution after 3 years or so.

Of course, in Russia the amount of open piracy has forced (Russian made) legit games to go ultra-cheap..... IIRC, pirated games are something like 2-3, wherease legit games are about 5 and have bonus material chucked in. (This is off a PCGamer article from a fair few months ago, figures may be wrong). That said, I dunno how much the average russian wage is, so it might not be as cheap as apparent.

17. Re: No subject Aug 6, 2004, 16:26 Awesome Spume

Far Cry is refusing to run on my system at the moment and I don't know what I did - it's crying about virtual drives but God knows why. I got a new DVD-RW drive and just installed the default software so it must have been whatever was on those discs. Damn them! Damn those damn dirty discs!

Regardless, I checked out Suprnova last week (I have 2 copies of D3 on pre-order with Amazon.co.uk. I only use BT for games I can't actually buy anymore. And TV shows. Ack. Method and Red. I have NO shame. I love that show.) and was actually pretty appalled to see that about 50k people had downloaded D3 - that's probably a quarter million by now. Which would be about twelve point five million dollahs in the unlikely event that every pirate bought a copy. Obviously they don't but damn! I've ripped off games for the last 20+ years, on and off. Obviously more when I didn't have any money and <virtually> nil now. I've bought every id game since Wolfenstein 3d up until Quake 3 - the demo pissed me off and I got UT instead. (I'm getting a flashback on this so I probably already said this somewhere when I was drunk. I'm not exactly sober now but I'm coherent (thank you Bull Nakano - if that IS where your nick came from then...wow, cool! AJWPW or something. I saw one of the tapes from years ago when an apprentice made her debut and had her nose soundly broken by a hardened shin. I don't like women much but even I can respect that from the frailer sex. Official - female Japanese wrestlers from the 90s R O C K)

What I'd like to see is a system that allows people with the wherewithall (resources) to subsidise people who have fuck all. Right now I can't drop into EB and peel off a deca-C to fix up the next few dozen buyers. Wouldn't it be nice if people with the resources could push a game they loved at the general public. Sort of, peer to peer with pockets. All we have now is people who exhort the "general public" to buy games, with no consideration of the truth that a helluva lot of people around the world don't have that money to spend. Sure you could say they don't have PCs either and that there are probably better ways to spend the money, and you'd be right. Without doubt. I just love PC games.

16. Re: No subject Aug 6, 2004, 16:21 Cochonou

It's a pity that the "Linux version" only constists in the x86 binaries. There are other architectures out there on which linux is available that could probably run D3.

15. Re: No subject Aug 6, 2004, 15:55 MindStalkerReturned

Well the driver might look peachy. But the actualy program daemon tools is installed and has registry entires and the like. So they probably look for the program itself, not its drivers.

14. No subject Aug 6, 2004, 15:38 m00t

I have Nero and Daemon tools installed (handy for testing ISO images to feed in to VMWare) and Doom3 is peachy.

13. Re: No subject Aug 6, 2004, 15:34 Vek

Any idea how they actually detect daemon? The latest daemon can call its driver files and system files anything at all, and return any string when queried as to what it is. There must be something they're poking at to see if its installed, but... what? I worry about this because, what if its not properly uninstalling itself? I know a couple users, for example, who cannot run UBI SOFT games because it gives the 'please disable virtual drives' to them, but they haven't got one installed.

12. Re: No subject Aug 6, 2004, 15:08 The Sentinel

Funny, I have Deaemon Tools installed and haven't had a problem. Then again, id has always been into the whole demon thing...

11. Re: No subject Aug 6, 2004, 15:06 MMORPGHoD

From the number of people on bit torrent, I don't think Activision avoided choice #1. Plus, there are legit people that are using CD spoofing with Doom 3, just to avoid CD swapping, so I guess it's not covering all the virtual CD packages out there.

10. Re: No subject Aug 6, 2004, 15:03 kanniballl

Nvidia's drivers typically give performance comparable to their Windows performance, unlike ATI where there is a major dropoff going from Linux to Windows in 3D.

"Dropoff going from linux to windows" to me means that Linux drivers perform better than windows. Is this true? I thought ATI's Linux drivers sucked.

Then again, I rarely use linux.

Pentium 4 3.06 GHz w/ Hyperthreading + 533 MHz FSB
1024MB DDR2100 Crucial RAM
PNY Verto GeForce 6800 GT
Windows XP Pro
SB Live! Value
Viewsonic 17" VP171b LCD

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

9. Re: No subject Aug 6, 2004, 14:59 kanniballl

I don't own any of that software so it installed without a hitch for me, but I find it very naive that they think they can dictate to someone what other software they can have on their computer (aside from, of course, software required to run the game properly).

I don't know how to feel about it.

One one hand, the CD Spoofing software is probably so good that it's hard to distinguish an actual CD ROM (with disc) from a virtual CD ROM (with a mounted image).

After all, that is the whole goal of Virtual Drives and CD Spoofing software; to fool other software. They've had a lot of practice and are probably pretty good at fooling software.

So, Activision was left with 3 choices:
  • Do nothing, and get raped by the warez community

• Try to make the game fail if it THINKS the drive is fake, but that might cause REAL drive to be falsely identified (like what happened with DIABLO II), and piss A LOT of people off

• Do what they're doing. Determine that the software or virtual drivers are installed, and say "we don't trust you, please uninstall this cra"

• I agree with another poster that this was probably Activision and not ID. But still, they were probably stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Do nothing, and they'll lose out financially. Try too hard to determine which drive is which, and fail (because there's probably no way to be 100% or even 90% accurate).

Personally, I don't mind it, as I don't use the software. I'm not saying I personally agree with it, I just don't have a major problem with it. I can't imagine this being a slippery slope or anything (companies start checking for other less benign software), as there's a specific reason in this case.

And at least this way, you can uninstall the software, play DOOM 3, then reinstall the software. It's an inconvenience, but it's not stopping you from playing or messing with your system.

Pentium 4 3.06 GHz w/ Hyperthreading + 533 MHz FSB
    1024MB DDR2100 Crucial RAM
    PNY Verto GeForce 6800 GT
    Windows XP Pro
    SB Live! Value
    Viewsonic 17" VP171b LCD

This comment was edited on Aug 6, 15:06.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
    -Fry, Futurama

8. Re: No subject Aug 6, 2004, 14:48 Mono

Nvidia's drivers typically give performance comparable to their Windows performance, unlike ATI where there is a major dropoff going from Linux to Windows in 3D.

I'll admit that I'm playing Doom 3 in Windows,m despite being a die hard loonix fan. However I'm paying on Veteran, and going real slow, so I hope to be id releases the linux binaries soon.

What an awesome game.

Flames > /dev/null

7. No subject Aug 6, 2004, 14:21 Absolution

I don't own any of that software so it installed without a hitch for me, but I find it very naive that they think they can dictate to someone what other software they can have on their computer (aside from, of course, software required to run the game properly).

6. CloneCD Aug 6, 2004, 14:04 Unknown Source

I doubt that id had anything to do with including the CD-copy software check. That's almost certainly an Activision thing.

This comment was edited on Aug 6, 14:05.

I'm not even really here.

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo