Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Game Reviews

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: No subject Aug 6, 2004, 04:30 Flo

I understand that people would love another Deus Ex (I'd sell my soul for it) but let's face it: not even the guys who created Deus Ex were able to create another Deus Ex
That said, for me it's all about atmosphere anyway...

This comment was edited on Aug 6, 04:31.

Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: No subject Aug 6, 2004, 00:51 Stolk

Same here. I love it. And what the hell is wrong with a linear corridor shooter? They were fun 10 years ago and they're still fun... just prettier. They will always be fun. It's all about seeing bad guys and shooting. Some would say it's the way it should be. Games are open to all differnt kinds of gameplay, and the variation makes what we get great.

23. Re: No subject Aug 5, 2004, 23:49 Scottish Martial Arts

so be clear everyone! does doom 3 suck? is it worth me buying?

Doom 3 is awesome, one of the most entertaining shooters I've ever played. The main knock against is that it is a linear corridor shooter rather than something wildly innovative. That said it is the best corridor shooter I've ever played.

22. No subject Aug 5, 2004, 22:50 HIGH_PING

The Quarter to Three "review" is the only negative article of the bunch. The author brings up some good points.

21. Re: No subject Aug 5, 2004, 21:55 RedXian

Doom 3 is a FPS just like the hundreds that have come before. Its not "rainbow six" or "tribes"... but it can be compared to something like "Undying" which I find to be highly superior to Doom3 in everything except graphics.

Undying is the best FPS to comapre Doom 3 to in terms of horror elements in games. IIRC Undying haad emphasis on brining scripted horror aspect. And while some of those scripted events worked quite well (eg when you saw the ghost behind you in the mirror) I felt that when you left the mansion it lost the effect and became just a standard shooter.

Doom 3's horror element rely on darkness and well places monsters. I have jumped out of my seat in many occasions while playing Doom 3. I found it far more compelling that Undying.

20. Re: wow Aug 5, 2004, 21:06 RedXian

The Impression I got from the GameSpot review is the review went to a Doom 3 Forum, found out what people were complaining the most about the game and wrote about that. And then to have the appearance of a "balanced" review added a comments of the positive features of the game.

I get the impression the reviewer hasn't really played much of the game, if at all.

I have play the game for 6+ hours now. I'm finding it the most intense game I've played in quite a while.

19. Re: wow Aug 5, 2004, 19:49 Monty

It's not out here yet but after reading all these and more reviews I get the impression it's just an average game and not the great daddy of FPS that it was hyped to be. Sounds like everone gets bored half way through

18. Re: wow Aug 5, 2004, 19:36 Smellfinger

As far as the Gamespy review is concerned, I thought it was a bad review because the score was not consistent with the text of the review. You don't call a game boring and shallow and then cop out and give it an above-average score.

17. No subject Aug 5, 2004, 18:45 space captain

that was to padlock

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

16. Re: No subject Aug 5, 2004, 18:25 Stolk

Who exactly are you speaking to?

15. No subject Aug 5, 2004, 18:16 space captain

thats your personal opinion...

but guess what??? EVERYONE HAS ONE

is that such a hard concept to understand?

I enjoy FPS of all kinds, and Ive been playing them since Doom 1 came out. Ive had PLENTY of fucking experience playing FPS games. One of my favorites was a little known game called "strife" that managed to add in some nice little RPG bits... and that was back in '96... Doom 3 is a FPS just like the hundreds that have come before. Its not "rainbow six" or "tribes"... but it can be compared to something like "Undying" which I find to be highly superior to Doom3 in everything except graphics.

You fanboys just need to accept the fact that other people exist in this world - your own little subjective viewpoint does not define objective reality.

- SUBHUMANS

14. Re: wow Aug 5, 2004, 18:13 Stolk

I agree with your take on Gamespot, padlock. Personally, I'm finding in the last year or so that they are having a difficult time judging games without making unnecessary comparisons to other games and without letting their preconceived ideas of what the gameplay would be affect their take on the game. Judge a game by itself, and judge it for what it is. Often all their reviews tell me is “I really wanted a different game”.

13. Re: wow Aug 5, 2004, 17:54 padlock

"It's supposed to be a compelling FPS; I didn't find it compelling."

Do you really find that to be a valid criticism? That's not unlike someone saying "it's supposed to be a good game and I didn't think it was".

Perhaps you didn't find it compelling, but that might be because it didn't offer what you were looking for. If I were to play a tactical shooter (a genre which I do not personally enjoy), I wouldn't find the game compelling, regardless of how great fans of the genre might think it is. But the problem wouldn't be with the game, but that it was simply not my cup of tea.

Personally, I find Doom 3 to be the most compelling game I've played in a very long time.

12. Re: wow Aug 5, 2004, 17:39 Smellfinger

"It's a real shame that people are judging it for what it isn't (and what it never intended to be) instead of what it is."

It's supposed to be a compelling FPS; I didn't find it compelling. Don't try to read into people's opinions what isn't there.

11. Re: wow Aug 5, 2004, 17:07 padlock

I'm a fan of 'Ultima Underworld', 'System Shock 2', and to a lesser extent 'Deus ex' and I'm having a great time with Doom 3. The thing is what I liked about those games was not all the 'complicated' bits, but the fact that they provided a very immersive world, and that's something that Doom 3 does extremely well.

It's a real shame that people are judging it for what it isn't (and what it never intended to be) instead of what it is.

I also find that gamespot review very poorly thought out. A lot of the things the writer complains about (anonymous player character, back story told through logs) are features that help make the game so immersive, and are the same features that helped make System Shock 2 so great.

10. Re: wow Aug 5, 2004, 16:14 Smellfinger

I wouldn't say Doom 3 is behind the times. That's giving it too much credit since it's less compelling than the 10-year-old game it's based off of.

9. No subject Aug 5, 2004, 15:15 space captain

i bet you've got a perfect nerd voice

- SUBHUMANS

8. Re: No subject Aug 5, 2004, 15:13 Ronin

Yes, it's worth buying. It's the kind of game where you don't need a whole lot of monsters.

Fans of games like Splinter Cell, Thief, and Deus Ex type games won't like it because "it's not complicated enough!" (said in nasaly nerd voice).

-Azrael
"Don't Fear the Reaper, fear ME."
Decade of Death (A tribute to FPSs)
http://files.filefront.com/3197804;/pub2/Doom/Media/Videos%20and%20Trailers/
http://files.filefront.com/3325050;/pub2/Doom/Media/Videos%20and%20Trailers/

-Azrael
"Don't Fear the Reaper, fear ME."
http://gamershots.net

7. Re: No subject Aug 5, 2004, 14:13 rocketpcguy

so be clear everyone! does doom 3 suck? is it worth me buying?

(i liked serious sam, but i heard doom 3 does not have a lot of enemies at a time?)

6. No subject Aug 5, 2004, 14:05 space captain

id has gotten the "ivory tower" syndrome pretty bad over the past decade

cant really blame em - but sooner or later someone else will steal that innovative glory that used to be theirs alone

- SUBHUMANS

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo