Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Manhunt Plot Twist

MCV (thanks Frans) has an article up with some follow-up to the recent stir caused by connections being drawn by some between a grisly murder and the video game Manhunt (story). According to the report, "The story of the 'Manhunt' murder case took another twist with the revelation that the game was present in the victim’s home, not the killer's." This may present a problem for those looking to turn this case to their own ends (story), though MCV's conclusion indicates that the facts in this case have not had that much impact up to this point:

As for the link between Manhunt and the crime, the police are clear. Pooni said: “We haven’t connected the game with the murder and we’ve already made that statement, but some sections of the media chose to ignore it…the motive was robbery.”

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: No subject Aug 4, 2004, 10:37 CrimsonPaw

Neko, though I have the same problem spelling words, I have a tendancy to correct people in spelling (when I know it's wrong) and grammar. I believe it comes from the realization that people of today either A) are not as educated in the "American English" dialect or B) people are just f***ing lazy, either way it's sad. I will say though that many people here on the BluesNews forums seem to give me faith in the writing skills of the modern adult gamer.

With that said, I'm sure we'll never see this story covered in the media that reportedly blamed the murder on the game ... pinheads.

~~Crim~~
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. No subject Aug 4, 2004, 09:01 space captain

awwwwwwwwwww... neko, am I bothering you??

geez thats the last thing I want to do

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

22. Re: Oh nozers! Aug 4, 2004, 08:17 Tango

so don't say there is 'one real reason' behind it all.
I didn't - by real reason I meant the combination. But whatever the reasons were, whenever something like this happens (and it does, with remarkable regularity), the media goes off and blames games / movies / music etc because they are retards who need to sell papers. But like it or not, there are a bunch of credible scientific results suggesting that there is some link. Note I'm not implying it's the one reason, nor that it's at all conclusive evidence. Nor am I supplying links to them, because you all have Google toolbars, and I can't be arsed, but you know the sort of stuff I mean ;).
On the other hand, you get gamers, musicians, movie makers saying "it's the parents." That too is, in your words, a simplified view of reality. Parents certainly have a whole load of responsibilities. They have to bring kids up to learn it's not ok to kill someone after pretending to do it in a game. They have to keep their guns locked away so toddlers can't take them to playschool. I don't deny these are obviously more important than a computer game - if you bring a kid up right he can play any game without being influenced by it - I played Carmageddon, GTA and watched the Terminator etc long before I was 18, but it didn't turn me into a nutter.

What I'm saying is it's just as easy to blame parents as it is to blame games, as it is to blame "society" (whatever that means), as it is to blame any other scapegoat. And as you say (and as I said originally) the "real" answer (if a hypothetical 100% God-like omniscient report could be generated as to why these events happen) is likely to be some combination of a whole bunch of stuff. It's just not impossible that games enter that combination in some way, for some people, and if they do, we need to look at the ratings system a bit closer.

21. Re: Violent Games = Violent People? Aug 4, 2004, 07:21 madbunny

"In April 1999, eight days before Columbine, Jack Thompson appeared on national television to identify the role that shooter video games, specifically Doom, would play in future school shootings. A week later in Littleton, Colorado, Klebold and Harris, who obsessively trained on Doom, killed thirteen."

I also trained on Doom and there are no more *former* marines, demons, fire demons or Imps in my neighbourhood because I wiped them out and there nave been no barons of hell seen in some time! However, I can no longer look up or down and I really do struggle when faced with an enemy that contains polys!

20. Re: Oh nozers! Aug 4, 2004, 06:48 quazz

You sure have a simplified view of reality.
What could've lead him to murder someone else is not one reason (as you say, when you point out that there must be a "real reason". It's the combination of a lot of things, and among them, "bad" parenting is sure as hell much more important then a fucking computer game (especially one that he might have never played).

I'm no psychologist, but I know enough to know these things are not as black and white as to be pinpointed that easily.
Exactly, they're not black and white, so don't say there is 'one real reason' behind it all.

But isn't that the unfair thing these days? I mean, you can't disipline your child for fear of being sued for physical abuse, but if your child runs amok (as they do when they test your leadership), you are blamed for the shitty parenting. Can't win either way.
By the way, there are much better way to "disipline your child" then hitting him you retarded fuck. Use your brain once in a while, it'll do you some good.

This comment was edited on Aug 4, 06:49.

19. Re: Oh nozers! Aug 4, 2004, 06:20 Tango

But isn't that the unfair thing these days? I mean, you can't disipline your child for fear of being sued for physical abuse, but if your child runs amok (as they do when they test your leadership), you are blamed for the shitty parenting. Can't win either way.
I agree - I'm sure it's far more complicated than bad parenting. It's just as easy to blindly blame parents as it is to blindly blame video games, and about as accurate. Sure, this is more a case of the media blundering about, based on nonsense information and headline grabbing, but the real reason behind why this guy killed this other guy is almost certainly not "because he had bad parents" any more than it is "because he played Manhunt."

I'm no psychologist, but I know enough to know these things are not as black and white as to be pinpointed that easily.

This comment was edited on Aug 4, 06:21.

18. Re: Oh nozers! Aug 4, 2004, 04:50  famished 

"But I guess if my kid killed someone I'd like to think it was a game and not my shitty parenting..."

17. No subject Aug 4, 2004, 03:01 neko_

>No subject Aug 3, 18:22 space captain
>its spelled "deceit" big guy

seriously, why the F do people post spelling corrections on a gaming website - who gives a flying F? captain what about a capitalised 'I' for the start of your sentence, or even "it's" for "it is" rather than "its". So stfu.

I can't stand pedantic people.

I tried emailing Jack T and got a similarly insulting response, which showed he basically had not read my email at all.

He's a low-grade ambulance chaser, nothing more.

p.s. Space Captain, you forgot a full stop at the end of your sentence. OMG!
This comment was edited on Aug 4, 03:04.

16. Violent Games = Violent People? Aug 4, 2004, 00:15 Oscarin

I just whant to sharean e-mail that I send to Mr. Jack Thomson (he is the Miami lawyer that is going to try to get down Rockstar games), here it is:

----- Original Message -----
To: jackpeace@comcast.net
Sent: Tuesday, August 03, 2004 1:09 AM
Subject: I have some questions...

I read whats on the web page www.stopkill.com and I just wanted to ask you some questions,
What's the parents role today?,
Do we become brain dead after having kids?,
Isnt a "no I'm not going to buy you that game, and that's final" enough?,
does everything have more power over kids than their parents?,
are you getting commission out of Mr. Thompson cases?
because I really dont get it, let me show you:

"Recent medical brain scan studies at Harvard, Indiana University, and elsewhere prove that adolescents' brain functions are damaged by a steady diet of violent images. The heads of six major health care organizations, including the American Medical, Pediatric, and Psychiatric Associations have all testified before Congress in June 2000 that violent entertainment contributes to teen violence. Video games are literally "murder simulators" teaching our kids how to kill. "

Just say "no I'm not going to buy you that game, and that's final" (well thats what I tell my 11 year old boy)

"The incredibly violent Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, made by Take-Two Interactive of New York City, has caused multiple copycat killings across the country. A recent Gallup Poll found that any American teen who has played this one game is twice as likely to be engaged in an act of violence than those who have not played this one game."

Those kids have parents, or the parents just dont care?

"The Federal Trade Commission in September 2000 found that big entertainment companies aggressively market adult-rated violent movies, music and video games to American children. Presently, Disney-owned ESPN is running ads for the Grand Theft Auto games on programs watched by huge numbers of teens, all in violation of video game industry regulations passed by the industry after the Columbine massacre."

Do you know what a V-Chip is?

"In April 1999, eight days before Columbine, Jack Thompson appeared on national television to identify the role that shooter video games, specifically Doom, would play in future school shootings. A week later in Littleton, Colorado, Klebold and Harris, who obsessively trained on Doom, killed thirteen."

I have played DOOM 1, 2 , GTA 3, GTA Vice City, and a bunch of FPS and I have try to pick up a gun the same way I use my keyboard and mouse and I havent found the way how you are suppose "to train" (maybe I have to use a gamepad)

ANOTHER THOMPSON PREDICTION CAME TRUE: Dateline NBC reported Friday, December 13, 2002, that the Beltway Sniper, John Lee Malvo, was compelled by John Muhammad to train on the sniper video game, Halo, switched to sniper-mode or God-mode, to suppress his inhibition to kill." Jack Thompson predicted, in an interview by Matt Lauer on NBC's Today show three weeks before the Beltway Snipers were apprehended, that one of the snipers "might very well be a video gamer as young as 15 trained on a game switched to sniper-mode or God-mode."

Same here (and god mode its to be invensible)

"I am trying to protect our freedoms. How so? When the next Columbine happens and the perpetrators are proven to be copycatters of adult-rated violent entertainment, then the government, driven by parental concern, really will contract freedom for all Americans. Safety will trump freedom."

Our freedom?, by telling me what can I play or not?, and when the next columbine happens take the parent to court for conspiring to kill because they should know what its going on onder they roof

Jack Thompson has appeared recently on a number of national television program with victims of two teenage Tennessee snipers whom police concluded trained obsessively on Grand Theft Auto to prepare for their sniping spree. Numerous others have been murdered by teens trained on this one game.

mmm, maybe they have a sniper rifle shaped as a keyboard and mouse

I will really like for you to answer my question, thanks...

PS

and for the record when I was finishing this e-mail my 11 year old boy enter the room and asked me

JR : what are you doing?
DAD : Im sending this e-mail

JR : to whom?
DAD : To a person called Jack Thompson

JR : Who is he?
DAD : Its a person that says that games like GTA Vice city can make you violent and make you whant to kill people

JR : What? Its he crazy?
DAD : well he is a lawyer

JR : lol
DAD : Do you know what its the difference between a game and real life? (he has played GTA Vice City, he finished the game faster than me)

JR : of course, but maybe he dosnt know
DAD : maybe

and this is what I got in response:

Obviously you don't "get it" because you've fried your brains with too many games. I hope brain transplants will be available soon.

So what do you think people?

15. Re: Loser media outlets Aug 3, 2004, 22:26 Hurcules

No no no, you're supposed to eat the mushrooms, then it will all make sense.

~Steve

Oh no, I won't fall for that trick again. Last time I tried that I woke up in places I would rather not remember.

14. Re: Loser media outlets Aug 3, 2004, 22:06 JediLuke

For months after playing Super Mario Brothers I would jump on mushrooms and stomp turtles or was it stop mushrooms and jump on turtles?

No no no, you're supposed to eat the mushrooms, then it will all make sense.

~Steve

http://stevegoldbergmusic.com

13. Re: Loser media outlets Aug 3, 2004, 19:00 Steel Rockhard

"The point of the story is that Military Intelligence and Government Intelligence take incoming information, evaluate the reliability of the source, relate it in time and space to what is already known, and then draws and reports conclusions back down the chain of command. The news media on the otherhand reports stuff as it comes in without really looking at the reliability of the source or how it relates to what is already known as fact. "

That's because the military operates on the "who is going to get killed" principle and the media operates on the "who is going to get the scoop (get paid)" principle.

In today's world media, which is more "news worthy": the U.S./U.K. military wins a battle or the U.S./U.K. military loses a battle? Which one makes for a better movie (ala "Black Hawk Down")?

In today's world media, what makes a better headline: "Kid Plays Video Game After School" or "Kid Kills After School Because of Video Game"?

I know which headline I'm more likely to read.

12. Re: Loser media outlets Aug 3, 2004, 18:47 quazz

The news media on the otherhand reports stuff as it comes in without really looking at the reliability of the source or how it relates to what is already known as fact.
Now,now, there's still good one out there (yes, they still exist). As far as I know, all that crap was started by a newspaper known to be unreliable.

This comment was edited on Aug 3, 18:57.

11. Re: No subject Aug 3, 2004, 18:45 MindTrigger

Media = Suck. They create problems so they have something to report on these days. Scum.

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

10. Re: No subject Aug 3, 2004, 18:41 madbunny

No no no no no no no no no it was the games fault!!! Games are bad and they make you want to do exactly what is in the game!!! I just played Tomb Raider and I feel compelled to climb lots of walls and kick bats and bears!

In other news; I just farted and it sounded like Stephen Hawking!

9. Re: Loser media outlets Aug 3, 2004, 18:40 Scottish Martial Arts

They do not REPORT the news anymore that MAKE the news.

Read an interesting article recently about the commercial intelligence service (i.e. the news media). It gave a fictional anticdote (sp) from WWII. An observation post at the forward edge of the battle area reports back that they can hear the sound of treaded vehicles somewhere to the east. This report filters back to battalion headquarters and the S-2 (Intelligence Officer) puts a marker for potential enemy vehicles on the situation map. The S-2 asks that the OP report back as soon as they can see the tanks or the situation changes. A few minutes later the OP reports that they can see a platoon of Panzers in the distance. The S-2 replaces the marker with an enemy armor marker. The S-2 then asks that OP send out a patrol to try to identify the unit that the Panzer platoon is a part of. The patrol reports back: "Sir, I don't know what the hell they're doing out here but it's a platoon of Shermans from the 1st Armored." The S-2 replaces the enemy armor marker with the appropriate friendly armor marker for that unit.

The point of the story is that Military Intelligence and Government Intelligence take incoming information, evaluate the reliability of the source, relate it in time and space to what is already known, and then draws and reports conclusions back down the chain of command. The news media on the otherhand reports stuff as it comes in without really looking at the reliability of the source or how it relates to what is already known as fact.

This comment was edited on Aug 3, 18:42.

8. Games ARE bad for you. Aug 3, 2004, 18:40 Hurcules

I should know. For months after playing Super Mario Brothers I would jump on mushrooms and stomp turtles or was it stop mushrooms and jump on turtles? I never found any gold coins nor did I shoot fireballs when I would eat orange flowers. They did make me sick, however. And that is why games are bad for you.

7. Re: No subject Aug 3, 2004, 18:33 quazz

bwahahahahahahaha!

Here's another one for the good guys.

6. No subject Aug 3, 2004, 18:22 space captain

its spelled "deceit" big guy

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

5. Loser media outlets Aug 3, 2004, 17:59 TheNarcis

The media (news/newspapers/magazines, etc.) can suck a fat one...

They do not REPORT the news anymore that MAKE the news.

Lame twisted white lies and deciept to get ratings.

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo