Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

American McGee & Romero

American McGee's Personal Website and Weblog (thanks GameGossip) reveals that the one-time id Software designer is looking for support for a game collaboration, though the Romero involved would be George, rather than John. He describes plans for his company TMIEC to make a game based on the filmmaker's "City of the Dead," saying the tag-line for the movie tie-in is "the goriest game ever made," bragging "we hope to bruise a few psyches with this one." The site offers a few pieces of concept art as well as an Adobe Acrobat-format design document to help interest publishers in the project. In more of American's plans, a Bad Day L.A. Teaser Page is online, a harbinger of an unannounced project from TMIEC to be published by Enlight (thanks again GameGossip).

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: Aug 4, 2004, 17:24 Hezekiah

The more I read these BluesNews boards, the more I get the impression that some of you seem to know these developers, and are probably developers yourself. I find that kinda cool.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Aug 4, 2004, 05:27 Socksta

a 17 year old from Romania.

32. Re: Aug 4, 2004, 05:27 Socksta

Doom 3 is great. I fucking love it. I used to support Romero up until he married a 17 year old. Its non gaming related but still completely wrong.

31. Re: Aug 3, 2004, 23:24 Rseman

I miss Paul Steed... he made .plans worth reading:P After Steed, Jake Simpson from Raven was pretty good....

I miss the old days!

For some reason I forgot 'After' had a 'T' in it:P

Damn I love DooM3!! I'm sending id a bill for my extra washing...

This comment was edited on Aug 4, 03:24.

30. Re: American Aug 3, 2004, 20:39 Furious

I think you are getting confused with Paul Steed

I think Paul was fired by Adrian and Kevin, the artist's, because Paul went along with John Carmack in wanting to do Doom 3 and Adrian and Kevin wanted to do something new and original so they were pissed at him.

29. Re: American Aug 3, 2004, 20:19 dubfanatic

Maybe it was someone else who got fired for that at Id, but I thought it was American

I think you are getting confused with Paul Steed. Although from what I heard he wasn't exactly offering "constructive" criticism, he was just being a whiner.

28. Re: No subject Aug 3, 2004, 19:43 Sty

...and made me wonder about a bio-weapon outbreak in the world.

Plum Island.

You know selling dlc before you patch the client doesn't impress upon me the need to support your shit. -massdev

27. Re: American Aug 3, 2004, 18:29 Furious

I seem to recall him being fired for having an opinion that differed from John's.

Nope, Carmack fired American and Romero for the exact same reasons, Carmack thought they were both being unproductive. Tim Willet was the golden boy at designing at id and American wore out his welcome.

26. American Aug 3, 2004, 18:24 MindTrigger

Furious,

I seem to recall him being fired for having an opinion that differed from John's. From what I understand, John doesn't take constructive criticism very well. Maybe it was someone else who got fired for that at Id, but I thought it was American

American is good. Look at Alice. It was nice looking, and original, not to mention fun. Maybe he was just bored at id, who knows. He certainly doesn't suck at what he does.

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

25. Re: No subject Aug 3, 2004, 18:20 MindTrigger

28 Days Later was a highly enjoyably movie for me. Some of you people spend too much time critiquing shit too enjoy it. There are very few movies that I have ever walked away from. I tend to accept movies for what they are, and immerse myself into the experience. 28 Days later may not have been the best movie in the world, but I enjoyed it, and made me wonder about a bio-weapon outbreak in the world. Not about zombies, but about how humans would react to such things.

I never listen to people who tell me that movies suck. 9.75 times out of 10, they are wrong in my opinion.

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

24. Re: McGee: Another Ex ID'r Bites the Dust Aug 3, 2004, 17:25 Furious

American McGee was forced out of ID and went on a sabatycal or something.

John Carmack himself fired American McGee for being unproductive.

23. Re: No subject Aug 3, 2004, 16:57 WiillyWonka

... couldn't have made 28 Days Later half as good as it was ...

28 Days Later was crap ... so what's half as good as crap? Diarrhea?

Alice was a nice twisted game that I enjoyed. I wish for more.

Go George.

22. Re: As long as it isn't a dead end. Aug 3, 2004, 16:25 PipSqueek

I dont know how much McGee actually had to do with Alice, but, if he did, then he'll have my attention.
I love that game. The visuals, sound scores(by Chris Vrenna)& gameplay are still a blast. A nice diversion from typical themes out there.

21. As long as it isn't a dead end. Aug 3, 2004, 16:00 Sty

American McGee seems to be an 'Idea Mill' more than anything lately: City of the Dead, Scrapland, American McGee's OZ, American McGee's Grimm, Bad Day LA and the Streets.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a good Zombie game. I was really disappointed about the cancellation of Dead Rush. I guess I'm just hoping it doesn't end up as another fruitless venture.

You know selling dlc before you patch the client doesn't impress upon me the need to support your shit. -massdev

20. NO WAY! Aug 3, 2004, 15:11 B M

I will never ever again buy any other lame console port POS game that Romero touches.  

19. McGee: Another Ex ID'r Bites the Dust Aug 3, 2004, 14:20 richcz3

American McGee was forced out of ID and went on a sabatycal or something. Talked about 3D online gambling before going into production with his Alice title which actualy made it to market in spite of him. Since then he's been riding on his associations with past glory more than specific talent. Carbon6 seemed more hype than a legitament developer and of course OZ is history. Now he looks to get associated with a cult classic Horror icon.

The last I heard John Romero formed company called Monkeystone creating games for hand helds.

richcz3

This comment was edited on Aug 3, 14:21.

18. George Romero Involved? Awesome! Aug 3, 2004, 13:40 Sadogoat

I got to talk to George a few years back about possible videogames based on "Night Of The Living Dead" and "Dawn Of The Dead". He told me that although he couldn't do anything with "Dawn" (since the rights to it were held by Richard Rubenstein), the notion of a "Night" game was an idea he liked (and would consider backing). That said, this new "City Of The Dead" game suits me just fine - assuming it actually makes it through development and is released. However, I hope George keeps his new fourth "Dead" flick as his top priority...

17. Re: me confused! Aug 3, 2004, 13:36 4D-Boxing

"I still can't understand why people are so bitter towards Romero and Daikatana."

Well kids tend to throw tantrums when they don't get what they want then they pout, cry and bitch. Daikitana did not deliver now the kids are restless! I think Furious explained it best in his post.

16. Re: oz Aug 3, 2004, 13:16 kyleb

American McGee's Oz lives on GameSpot has a follow-up on the report that quoted American McGee as saying Carbon6's Oz game is "dead in the water" (story), refuting the premise that the game is no longer being pitched, reporting that "McGee said the Xbox version of the game, which is loosely based on the Wizard of Oz books, is being shopped around to publishers." The story quotes American as saying: "We're not going to consider Oz dead until every other extension to it is dead."

http://bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&threadid=47456

15. No subject Aug 3, 2004, 13:12 WebDemon

John Romero is at Midway now, and he was full of his own shit for a while but it's kind of hard not to be when you're that young with that much money to play with.

As for George A Romero... The king of the Zombie flick bar none. Danny Boyle couldn't have made 28 Days Later half as good as it was if it wasn't for Romero's movies.

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo