Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DOOM 3 Previews

Even a slow Sunday gets its DOOM 3 post du jour, as there are a pair of previews of the imminent shooter online this weekend (thanks Frans). There are previews of the game on GameSpot and on IGN based on getting to check it out at the G-Phoria deal from G4. Here's a bit from GameSpot::

The Doom 3 demo station at G-Phoria didn't subject eager attendees to the game's introductory segment, which is reportedly set before all the hellish action picks up. In fact, our experience with Doom 3 started with the second level of the game, at which time the nameless main character is tasked with navigating the labyrinthine research base and briefly traversing the Martian landscape in search of a missing scientist. Right about the time you find this scientist, all hell breaks loose--literally--as a terrible presence overruns the base and your former comrades begin to turn demonically against you.

View
148 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

68. Peep this. Aug 2, 2004, 02:22 Smellfinger

Peep it.

This comment was edited on Aug 2, 02:24.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

67. Re: Performance Issues Aug 2, 2004, 02:14 Rockn-Roll

qigtrouble77, do you have 512MB of RAM on your videocard? Because that's what you need for Very High quality [as stated by iD, I didn't make this up].

Not for Very High Quality. you only need 256MB for Very High Quality. You need 512MB to run with Ultra Quality! However, you can get it to run a little, choppy though, if you have at least 512MB of system RAM.

Let's Rock!

66. Re: No subject Aug 2, 2004, 02:11 Rockn-Roll

In this thread before it explodes to 200 + posts about god, religion, and overclocking

No, No, and it depends on what time you have. In another 24 hours Doom3 is going to be leaving the retail outlets and overclocking the tickers on gamers across the US. I've got the resuscitation machine nearby...or are those just wires coming from the electical outlet?

Let's Rock!

65. Re: dark Aug 2, 2004, 02:08 Ray Marden

As ever, note that I have yet to play Doom 3 so I cannot say how good/bad the game is about this, but...

...it is a fault of many games that heavily focus on any one aspect. Often, when a games focus is its lighting and/or shadows, it tends to make everything dark to emphasize the few light sources. It is annoying, though, when you start missing basic portions of the levels because they are so freaking dark!

Watching Frank Black do his thing,
Ray

-----
But, what is ultimately important in life?
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

64. dark Aug 2, 2004, 02:03 seenitall

weeeellll let me switch gears and actually talk about the game,

it's so damn dark you can't see it

That's what I don't think I'll like about Dewm3. That's what I hated about AVP1, as I've said on this forum before. At first the darkness is cool, then you get to the next level and the darkess is still ok, then the next level and heh ooookay more darkness and the next and damn lets just beat this technique into the ground why don't we.

With a game programmer as good as Carmack, why would he not want people to see his work. I know I know, I haven't played the game yet but damn, I just know I'm going to be fumbling and bumbling and gawwdd damn people I can close my frickin eyes for free.

63. Re: well, that's partially true Aug 2, 2004, 02:01 phorce phed

Plus you have absolutely no guarantees that one day you won't wake up and your character will be gone
And that's different from an official MMORPG server how?

Read the EULA next time you install one.

62. Re: Huh? (post #27) Aug 2, 2004, 01:19 rkone

have no sypmathy for pirates who get caught. The RIAA is just doing its job. Downloading music and software is STEALING. Its no different from sticking $1000 worth of cd's down your pants at Best Buy or something. GO RIAA!!

They should send the little pimpley face pirates to federal pound-me-in-the-ass prison to send a message to the rest of the litte spoiled bastards.

Don't you think it's about time "the RIAA"* is forced to reconsider their business model, now that the internet is obviously such a better way to go about distribution??

Do you think itunes and mp3 players would be around if napster (or equivalents) hadn't existed?

Not all people who pirate are doing it because they want it free - they do it because it's better than the alternative. Take a look at those free ISPs for example - people gladly pay for high-speed because the service is much better. These same people warez doom3 only to buy it when it's available 2 days later only because they want to support the developer.

Sony charges you $15 for a CD so they can spend $10 of that advertising Britney, pocketing $4.50, paying the artist 10 cents and spending 40 cents on production and packaging.

I personally would prefer to flip the triangle upside down and shrink it by a factor of 10 or so. That's what internet distribution could do legally, but big media companies fight that at all cost.

Funny that you consider pirates spoiled bastards, I think it applies better to the multibillion dollar companies suing the pirates.

*boycott riaa:
I laugh at people that swear at the RIAA under their breath. The entire reason RIAA exists is for people to hate them. Warner/Disney/Sony/RCA/etc. would never put their name on a lawsuit sueing Joe Napsteramy, rather they pay millions to create a company to do this for them - a good business decision.

Jaded because with all that advertising money, in the past 5 years I have not heard a CD worth downloading let alone buying.

61. Re: Huh? (post #27) Aug 2, 2004, 01:12 Tabs

Regardless of the legalities of file sharing, the RIAA is sham through and through and to say they're just "doing their job" is to ignore the reality of how the music industry works. The RIAA exists for one purpose - to get the big-five record labels as much money as they possibly can. Those labels have raped artists out of an unimaginable amount of money for damn close to half a century now. Think about it - in any other form of entertainment (sports, movies, video games etc) the people who create the art or play the game make a large protion of the money - it's absolutely the reverse in music - a band has to pay for the entire cost of making and marketing their CD as well as touring out of their own royalties before they even see a cent from record sales. And even if they do "recoup" their recording and touring costs (which is a huge number of sales that most bands on major labels don't reach) they only get at MAX 10-15% of the price of each CD sold. Unless you're Metallica, you're only getting something like 8%. On top of that, labels work clever scams into their deals by which the shave off your royalties even further by not counting online sales, not counting digital downloads like iTunes, and charging you for a set amount of "free-goods" that can range from promotional copies to CD's broken in shipping - most of the time it never even comes close to the number they allocate out of royalties.

As someone who is an aspiring professional musician in a band and has already dealt with some of these aspects of the industry, the thought of getting trapped by one of these major label contracts that the RIAA supports scares the crap out of me. File sharing may be of questionable legality, but it's making people realize that artists aren't suffering from it because they're already suffering far too much from the label itself for it to even make a dent. The industry needs to change big time...

60. No Dout Aug 2, 2004, 00:38 Kosumo

I belive that Doom 3 will proveve that all got FPS must have in the a moment when you stand at an unirenaly in the game and say "wow, do I need to go?"

59. Re: Huh? (post #27) Aug 2, 2004, 00:06 JoeCool

http://www.boycott-riaa.com/

I have no sypmathy for pirates who get caught. The RIAA is just doing its job. Downloading music and software is STEALING. Its no different from sticking $1000 worth of cd's down your pants at Best Buy or something. GO RIAA!!

They should send the little pimpley face pirates to federal pound-me-in-the-ass prison to send a message to the rest of the litte spoiled bastards.

This comment was edited on Aug 2, 00:11.

58. Re: Huh? (post #27) Aug 2, 2004, 00:02 fred flintstone

ban for what you sissy

57. Huh? (post #27) Aug 1, 2004, 23:59 Paranoid Jack

Gerauchertes, have you been under a rock for the last few years? Ever heard of Napster? Remember what happened to it and the guy who made it?

I remember at least three cases where people where found guilty several years ago and the fine was $15,000 per illegally downloaded song. That is not what they (prosecutors) took because some of the pirates would have been millions in the hole after being busted. They just slapped them with two or three fines each from what I remember. Anyway one kid had thousands of songs on a college server if I remember right and the settlement was not public but I am sure he has more then his college education debt to pay off now.

If RIAA stormtroopers come kick in my door and demand that much for downloading Ride the Lightning, guess what? I don't fucking have it! Tough shit.
I am sure that's what he was thinking also...

Maybe you should think about it a little harder.
Read a bit; do a bit of research before you start posting goofy statements. Though I have done the same, usually when drunk... so I forgive you. Anyway check out the latest, if you think it won't happen.

http://www.vnunet.com/news/1156997

http://www.eff.org/IP/P2P/howto-notgetsued.php

My point was if they (the gaming industry) do press the issue and they will eventually it would deter a lot of sane people from pirating. Though you can keep on thinking that you'll never get caught, or they wouldn't go to that expense, or whatever reason you come up with to ease your mind. Anyway you slice it... its theft, you can be caught very easily, and if you get caught you'll wish you never bought a PC or subscribed to your ISP (who is giving up you account information to the agencies tracking down warez kiddies).

You don't even need to be caught for pirating. I have read several cases where a persons house was searched by police for other crimes and their PCs where confiscated... guess what, now they also have charges for illegally downloaded music and pirated movies as well.

And if you are not worried you should be... I can look up the articles on the people being busted but I think you can see the cases on that site I linked above.

http://www.boycott-riaa.com/

This comment was edited on Aug 2, 00:22.

56. Re: Creative Sound Card Hell Aug 1, 2004, 23:47 banddirector

You are *not* sad - - don't listen to that idiot. It's time for Blue to bust out his +3 banning stick and go to work ...

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

55. Re: Creative Sound Card Hell Aug 1, 2004, 23:37 Ray Marden

Well, you could still attack it down the road if you want.

Looking at the manual found here:
http://www.asus.com/support/download/selectftp.aspx?l1_id=1&l2_id=15&l3_id=21&m_id=1&f_name=e1298_p4s800.pdf~zaqwedc

You can find all the information on page 1-14 of the manual and/or page 24 of the digital file.

Your AGP slot is sharing with a few of the PCI slots, but PCI 4 is just hanging out by itself. If you are not using the on-board audio, PCI 2 is good as well.

Of course, that is really only if you want to fiddle with things. If things are working now, why bother with the hassle? As ever, these should all work fine wherever if you have up to date PCI components, but "should" is not the same as "will."

It is just something quirky that can pop up now and then.

A sad man :D,
Ray

-----
But, what is ultimately important in life?
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

54. Re: Saving Aug 1, 2004, 23:29 Krovven

othing is worse than a game that lets you save a fraction of a second before you die, forcing you to go back to the last auto-save point which was half an hour ago

Sure hope you werent one of the people complaining about the Check Point saves in Far Cry.

53. Re: Creative Sound Card Hell Aug 1, 2004, 23:20 eDave

Yep. Just the slot. Manual says they auto assign IRQ's. BIOS is set for each slot to "auto-route". I do have option to select a specific IRQ for each.

Leaving well enough alone. Using ATI Tool, 9500 is currently overclocked to Core: 328, Mem: 303. This is up from default 276 and 270.

Thanks again Ray.
This comment was edited on Aug 1, 23:21.

52. Re: Performance Issues Aug 1, 2004, 23:14 rkone

Found the root of my initial performance problems... The game doesn't seem to like having a second monitor enabled. I guess the guys at doom don't like using dual monitors, shame cause the game probably would have been out several months earlier if they did.

That 2nd monitor will eat up quite a bit of extra memory, and as you know, it's already pretty full on a 128mb card in Doom3...

51. Saving Aug 1, 2004, 23:12 rkone

Nothing is worse than a game that lets you save a fraction of a second before you die, forcing you to go back to the last auto-save point which was half an hour ago

50. Timedemo benchmarks Aug 1, 2004, 23:07 Krovven

Since I was working this afternoon and couldnt really play anyways Doom3, I ran alot of Timedemo benchmarks and here are the results. Hope some find them usefull.

http://www3.telus.net/dayzed1/index.htm

49. No subject Aug 1, 2004, 23:06 D4rkKnight

I love how the weblinks in the game actually work when you surf to them.

Nice of ID to create those webpages just for added effect

148 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo