Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DOOM 3 Previews

Even a slow Sunday gets its DOOM 3 post du jour, as there are a pair of previews of the imminent shooter online this weekend (thanks Frans). There are previews of the game on GameSpot and on IGN based on getting to check it out at the G-Phoria deal from G4. Here's a bit from GameSpot::

The Doom 3 demo station at G-Phoria didn't subject eager attendees to the game's introductory segment, which is reportedly set before all the hellish action picks up. In fact, our experience with Doom 3 started with the second level of the game, at which time the nameless main character is tasked with navigating the labyrinthine research base and briefly traversing the Martian landscape in search of a missing scientist. Right about the time you find this scientist, all hell breaks loose--literally--as a terrible presence overruns the base and your former comrades begin to turn demonically against you.

View
148 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

88. Re: Rectify Aug 2, 2004, 02:48 Rockn-Roll

Since you guys obviously missed it. [sic] You can play Ultra Quality even on a 128mb card

Nah, I saw that. The problem with having less memory on the card is that the system RAM will need to be used. When that happens then your performance will drop drastically to unplayable. And, I believe the quote was that Ultra will load on a 256MB card, not a 128MB card.

In one of the interviews id indicated that the ultra quality textures can load on a 256MB card, but when a new level loads the memory fragmentation on the video card will prevent the uncompressed textures from loading into memory, thus the game will slow down to a crawl and/or sieze due to the video card encountering a page fault or some such problem which wasn't detailed in the interview.

In another 24 hours we can start seeing some performance marks. It would be nice to have a centralized web site where everyone can post their system specs along with their FPS and other information just to compare systems, and share tweaks.

Let's Rock!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

87. Re: a big letdown Aug 2, 2004, 02:47 ExcessDan

Homey, just because he doesn't like doom 3 it doesn't mean he's a troll. I'm sorry if you feel that this game is your Jesus and no one shalt assault it with thy words but it's not. It's just another game.

------------
Love,
Mayor Dan:
The mayor of your hearts <3<3<3<3<3
"Every post you write it makes you sound more moronic than me."

ExcessDan

86. Re: a big letdown Aug 2, 2004, 02:45 fred flintstone

okw ell wait a few days and u will see second thoughts and theyll say the same shit as me, it gets really repetetive with minimal violence its just 1 2 kill them 2 go to the next room and bludgeon

85. Re: dark Aug 2, 2004, 02:42 gerauchertes

The Pixies is the best rock band EVER.

OK, maybe someone knows this. I was just thinking about it earlier and couldn't remember the name of this one band. It was this rediculous short-lived combo featuring one of the Deal twins (can't remember which), Sebastian Bach, the drummer from Smashing Pumpkins while he was on involuntary hiatus from that band for the embarrassing OD, and someone else. What was it?

84. Re: a big letdown Aug 2, 2004, 02:42 Krovven

stupid african

This is like the 3rd time Ive seen you post this crap. You a racist as well a a jackass?

just take off the fact that its id and it would be just another trash fps with pretty graphics

You are the only person I've heard that doesnt like the game. And frankly I think you are a lying troll trying to stir shit up...you always do. Remember we can see your post history.

83. Re: Rectify Aug 2, 2004, 02:40 Krovven

Since I was working this afternoon and couldnt really play anyways Doom3, I ran alot of Timedemo benchmarks and here are the results. Hope some find them usefull.

http://www3.telus.net/dayzed1/index.htm

Since you guys obviously missed it...see the link. You can play Ultra Quality even on a 128mb card. Granted its a big loss in framerate...but I was messing around for awhile on Ultra. Honestly you arent going to notice a huge difference between High and Ultra.

82. Re: Stop being so obsessive-compulsive. Aug 2, 2004, 02:39 Rockn-Roll

OH MY GOD MY GEFORCE4 WON'T RUN THIS PIECE OF SHIT AT 100FPS I NEED A NEW CARD RIGHT NOW!

Doom3 has been capped at 60FPS. You might be able to run PONG with that card though.

Let's Rock!

81. Re: dark Aug 2, 2004, 02:38 Ray Marden

Well, that was his television name.

In movies, you might know him as Bishop.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000448/

Talking about Millennium,
Ray

-----
But, what is ultimately important in life?
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

80. Re: a big letdown Aug 2, 2004, 02:38 fred flintstone

its not a troll opinion you stupid african its the truth. just take off the fact that its id and it would be just another trash fps with pretty graphics

79. Re: a big letdown Aug 2, 2004, 02:36 Krovven

Fred Flintstone...incase you havent noticed, nobody gives a shit about your troll opinions.

78. Rectify Aug 2, 2004, 02:36 gerauchertes

Not for Very High Quality. you only need 256MB for Very High Quality. You need 512MB to run with Ultra Quality! However, you can get it to run a little, choppy though, if you have at least 512MB of system RAM.

According to [H], a 256MB video card can run the game on "Ultra" (albeit with some stutter) with 2GB of system RAM, not 512MB.

77. Re: dark Aug 2, 2004, 02:34 NSi

Ray: I don't know what you're talkign about when you say "Watching Frank Black do his thing" but I just had to say this:
The Pixies is the best rock band EVER.
Discuss and flame at will.

76. Re: Performance Issues Aug 2, 2004, 02:33 Krovven

You need 512MB to run with Ultra Quality!

You don't "need" 512mb of vid ram for Ultra Quality, however id is suggesting you only use Ultra quality with 512mb cards because there will be some very noticable slow down on some levels due to texture sizes.

Doesnt matter what system you have, you can still select Ultra Quality from the options and load the game just fine. You do get a warning though about the 512mb when selecting it.

75. a big letdown Aug 2, 2004, 02:31 fred flintstone

they should have called this quake 4 not doom. its nothign like the other dooms. in doom 1 and 2 you encounter monsters and shoot them massacre columbine style. in doom 3 you walk around in the dark, some monster spawns behind you, and you dont know its there till you die. so you load a savegame and kill hiim cause you know where he is now. wash rinse repeat.

seriously wtf. where is the fun this is more annoying than anything. i did pick the highest difficulty level but im already like 3 or 4 levels in and theres no way im gonna start over. its just been too boring so far. there are some cool parts but they are only cool once. doom 3 is trying to be half life. sorry but far cry already did that. bring on duke nukem or something

74. No subject Aug 2, 2004, 02:30 HIGH_PING

Super Turbo Turkey Puncher 3!
http://www.7uh.com/uploader/uploads/sddsp024.jpg

Wondering if dopefish is gonna make an appearance.

73. Nuh-uh! (post #57) Aug 2, 2004, 02:29 gerauchertes

Napster Boy would be an example of, well, being made an example of. Most pirates are not packing a terabyte of stolen goods on a college network, and even fewer are architects of popular P2P software.

Theoretically it is possible get pinched for bootlegging music, just as you might be attacked by killer bees or drown in Ted Kennedy's car. It could happen. At the end of the day, the crusade to put a dent in piracy through the tort process is simply unfeasible. You can not go around smacking millions of people for $15k per song when $15k is something near the average American's yearly income. Most people know this, and simply ignore the RIAA's threatening PR stunts.

The gaming industry is something else entirely. It does not have a nutjob champion comparable to Jack Valenti (or whoever his recent replacement is/will be) who operates freely above all written law and wields the staggering influence of the RIAA. Yet.

I am not condoning or endorsing piracy. I'm just saying that its alleged effect seems rather overestimated. Certainly though, if I go to Best Buy on Tuesday and find row after row of Doom 3 boxes waiting in vain to be purchased at $55 each, I will gladly concede my faulty logic.

72. Hi. Aug 2, 2004, 02:26 Smellfinger

Bye.

This comment was edited on Aug 3, 16:19.

71. Re: Peformance Inquiry Aug 2, 2004, 02:22 Rockn-Roll

but say I added another 512mb DDR and changed the card to a 6800GT, but kept my 2ghz

You would see an imrpovement with just the video card...forget the memory upgrade cause you don't need it. Wait another few months before buying anything expensive. Due to the demand from games like Doom3 Video card memory will probably be reaching 1GB by next year. And, you will be able to build a nice 4Ghz machine with just $1,000 or twice what you want to spend now...and you will be getting twice as fast a computer.

You will need that fast of a computer for the next generation of software systems that will be taking advantage of artificial language interpreters and speech synthesizers to eliminate most of our need to type stuff in to computers.

Anyway, that's what I'm doing. I simply upgraded my video card to a FX 5200 for now since it's only a $70USD upgrade and should allow me to run anything coming out this year, and perhaps the next couple. At least it runs Thief3 and FarCry, and according to the requirements should run Doom3 and Quake4 nicely.

Let's Rock!

70. Bye. Aug 2, 2004, 02:22 Smellfinger

Hi.
This comment was edited on Aug 3, 16:20.

69. Re: Performance Issues Aug 2, 2004, 02:22 quazz

Not for Very High Quality. you only need 256MB for Very High Quality. You need 512MB to run with Ultra Quality! However, you can get it to run a little, choppy though, if you have at least 512MB of system RAM.
Just to make this clear, there is no such thing as a 'very high quality' setting (I just started the game to make sure). The name of the setting are Low, Medium, High, Ultra. I assumed he meant Ultra when he said Very High. I should've said this in my last post instead of using the same term.

148 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo