Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DOOM 3 Previews

Even a slow Sunday gets its DOOM 3 post du jour, as there are a pair of previews of the imminent shooter online this weekend (thanks Frans). There are previews of the game on GameSpot and on IGN based on getting to check it out at the G-Phoria deal from G4. Here's a bit from GameSpot::

The Doom 3 demo station at G-Phoria didn't subject eager attendees to the game's introductory segment, which is reportedly set before all the hellish action picks up. In fact, our experience with Doom 3 started with the second level of the game, at which time the nameless main character is tasked with navigating the labyrinthine research base and briefly traversing the Martian landscape in search of a missing scientist. Right about the time you find this scientist, all hell breaks loose--literally--as a terrible presence overruns the base and your former comrades begin to turn demonically against you.

View
148 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

108. Re: Where to buy? Aug 2, 2004, 03:33 Ray Marden

Of course, don't ask me why I had to get glasses a little over two years ago...

Having slight astigmatisms in both eyes,
Ray

Edit: Fixed time. Damn, got them halfway through cancer fight - let me add a year then...
-----
But, what is ultimately important in life?
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
I love you, mom.
This comment was edited on Aug 2, 03:40.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

107. Re: Where to buy? Aug 2, 2004, 03:28 TheNarcis

Plus the lighting, plus the consistent framerate, plus the...etc.

My eyes are actually quite sensitive to framerate, especially during movement. I am actually commonly irritated with movies and their meager 24 FPS standard and even a 30 FPS signal can sometimes bug me.

As for game, 60 FPS is when I start having a nice combination of smooth control and movment. Having said that, anything higher than 100 FPS seems to have...what I can only describe as a "solid" feel/look to it.

As for 2D screens (say, Windows,) 85Hz is about my minimum. Even then, it does feel/look slightly weird (I just have a sense something is off) until it hits 100Hz or higher.

Right on eagle eyes!

106. OK, fanboys and trolls can suck the pipe Aug 2, 2004, 03:23 Cartman

Digging this game bigtime since I scored it at the local BB yesterday.

http://ramanon.com/images/modoom.jpg

I am in nerd heaven... I finally have a game worthy of my rig.

105. Re: Where to buy? Aug 2, 2004, 03:17 JediLuke

The Pixies kick ass. That's all I thought of on reading Ray's earlier comment. Screw Nirvana.

Digging for fire,

~Steve

http://stevegoldbergmusic.com

104. Re: Where to buy? Aug 2, 2004, 03:15 Ray Marden

Plus the lighting, plus the consistent framerate, plus the...etc.

My eyes are actually quite sensitive to framerate, especially during movement. I am actually commonly irritated with movies and their meager 24 FPS standard and even a 30 FPS signal can sometimes bug me.

As for game, 60 FPS is when I start having a nice combination of smooth control and movment. Having said that, anything higher than 100 FPS seems to have...what I can only describe as a "solid" feel/look to it.

As for 2D screens (say, Windows,) 85Hz is about my minimum. Even then, it does feel/look slightly weird (I just have a sense something is off) until it hits 100Hz or higher.

Edit: V-sync is a must. Otherwise, the tearing is always obvious and can even make things seem chaotic.

Hating interlace,
Ray

-----
But, what is ultimately important in life?
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
I love you, mom.
This comment was edited on Aug 2, 03:39.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

103. Re: well listen Aug 2, 2004, 03:10 WebDemon

"well movies are 30 fps and tv is 24 fps"

You alomost got it right...

TV 30fps NTSC (25fps PAL)
Film 24fps

For it to look fluid you'll need at least 30fps.

102. Re: Where to buy? Aug 2, 2004, 03:10 quazz

And the troll wins. Congrats fred.
Come on people, do you really need to be reminded not to feed the troll?

101. Re: Where to buy? Aug 2, 2004, 03:08 Tabs

Movies and TV work using motion blur - we don't have motion blur with games, so yes you do need a higher FPS than that. I've heard that around 72FPS is where the eye stops being able to see the flicker between frames - makes sense, if I set my monitor refresh rate below that I can see the flicker...

100. Where to buy? Aug 2, 2004, 03:06 Flo

Can you already buy the game in the USA? Where?  
Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

99. Re: well listen Aug 2, 2004, 03:04 gerauchertes

Your eye can see well over 60fps, Dan. The brain doesn't translate images in "frames". How many fps are required to create an image that the brain perceives as being fluid depends on a lot of factors.

98. Re: well listen Aug 2, 2004, 03:03 ExcessDan

well movies are 30 fps and tv is 24 fps so you don't even need more fps than that... have you been noticing your tv has been running choppy? lol

------------
Love,
Mayor Dan:
The mayor of your hearts <3<3<3<3<3
"Every post you write it makes you sound more moronic than me."
This comment was edited on Aug 2, 03:04.

ExcessDan

97. Re: well listen Aug 2, 2004, 03:01 fred flintstone

no man a monitor can go 120 fps thats what HERTZ means dont u know anything or are you too stupid to ever read a monitor spec. ?????? my minitor is at 85 Hz so its going 85 fps so you must be pretty dumb if you dont know that the eye can see that

96. Re: well listen Aug 2, 2004, 02:59 ExcessDan

hommes your eye can only see 60fps max you can't see 80-100. i doubt you could tell the difference between 50 and 60. i think you couldnt tell the difference between 40 and 60 cuz youre slow in the head! LOL!

------------
Love,
Mayor Dan:

ExcessDan

95. Re: dark Aug 2, 2004, 02:57 ExcessDan

Yeah, and now there's someone with lots of gay colors in their sig. You must be looking for the forum on gay marriages which is definitely not here.

Haha, the gay card has been played!!! It's passed your bedtime, lad.

------------
Love,
Mayor Dan:
This comment was edited on Aug 2, 02:57.

ExcessDan

94. Re: well listen Aug 2, 2004, 02:56 fred flintstone

yes i can because it makes it more fluid i know what im talking about because the eye knows the diff btwn at least 80-100 fps because thats the HZ of the moniutor which means cycle per second dumass why dont u try reading a technical site once in your life

93. Re: well listen Aug 2, 2004, 02:55 ExcessDan

hommies you're dumb your eye can't see 75 fps and im sure your computer isn't powerful enough to display that

------------
Love,
Mayor Dan:

ExcessDan

92. Re: dark Aug 2, 2004, 02:54 Rockn-Roll

Wtf, I come here to see if anyone is discussing their opinions on playing Doom 3 and there's a bunch of idiots talking about the Pixies and the RIAA. Oh ya and nerds discussing their motherboards or something. W T F D00D3RZ!?!!@!!

Yeah, and now there's someone with lots of gay colors in their sig. You must be looking for the forum on gay marriages which is definitely not here.

Let's Rock!

91. well listen Aug 2, 2004, 02:54 fred flintstone

i dont need to discuss it with them cause i have my rig setup and it runs at at least 75 fps

90. No subject Aug 2, 2004, 02:50 D4rkKnight

Since you guys obviously missed it...see the link. You can play Ultra Quality even on a 128mb card. Granted its a big loss in framerate...but I was messing around for awhile on Ultra. Honestly you arent going to notice a huge difference between High and Ultra.

Yeah I turned ultra on with my 9800pro and there wasnt a huge framerate difference so much as periodic freezing whenever entering a new room. Guess my card doesnt have the memory to handle all that stuff.

BUT I couldnt notice ANY noticable difference in graphic quality on Ultra in comparison to High.

89. Re: dark Aug 2, 2004, 02:49 ExcessDan

Wtf, I come here to see if anyone is discussing their opinions on playing Doom 3 and there's a bunch of idiots talking about the Pixies and the RIAA. Oh ya and nerds discussing their motherboards or something. W T F D00D3RZ!?!!@!!

------------
Love,
Mayor Dan:
This comment was edited on Aug 2, 02:50.

ExcessDan

148 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo