Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DOOM 3 Previews

Even a slow Sunday gets its DOOM 3 post du jour, as there are a pair of previews of the imminent shooter online this weekend (thanks Frans). There are previews of the game on GameSpot and on IGN based on getting to check it out at the G-Phoria deal from G4. Here's a bit from GameSpot::

The Doom 3 demo station at G-Phoria didn't subject eager attendees to the game's introductory segment, which is reportedly set before all the hellish action picks up. In fact, our experience with Doom 3 started with the second level of the game, at which time the nameless main character is tasked with navigating the labyrinthine research base and briefly traversing the Martian landscape in search of a missing scientist. Right about the time you find this scientist, all hell breaks loose--literally--as a terrible presence overruns the base and your former comrades begin to turn demonically against you.

View
148 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

28. thank god for usenet Aug 1, 2004, 20:20 Wiggamoe

ah, isn't usenet beautiful? Let me tell you all, this game is amazing. And before you guys start freaking, yes, I am buying the game on the 3rd for the multiplayer experience. damn, it is awesome, you guys are going to shit your pants. btw, if anyone wants to try it, check it out at easynews.com, sign up for an account ($10 for 10 gigs, go to the alt.binaries.images to find the files)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Sad thing about it... Aug 1, 2004, 20:20 gerauchertes

There is no way to stop this... but they could deter it some if the game industry really goes after these warez kiddies. Think about it. The music industry is getting $15,000 per illegal copy of a song. If the games industry and the film industry would go for the jugular of these pirates there would be a lot of people in jail and/or broke.

Maybe you should think about it a little harder. The "music industry is getting $15,000 per illegal copy"...from where? If RIAA stormtroopers come kick in my door and demand that much for downloading Ride the Lightning, guess what? I don't fucking have it! Tough shit.

Punishing the evildoers sounds like a swell idea if you don't stop to consider what good it does. The resources necessary to track down pirates are greater than any losses that could possibly be recouped.

You could make an example of one or a few by targetting a select group of very wealthy thieves, but you and I and the thousands of blue collar wage monkeys/high school children who warez the shit know it's all bluster.

26. Re: Performance Issues Aug 1, 2004, 20:18 Nahor

I have 1gb of ram so i'm good there
It's 512MB of video RAM, not regular RAM. AFAIK, there are not 512MB video card yet.

25. Sad thing about it... Aug 1, 2004, 20:07 Paranoid Jack

...the game has been in stores (on hold in the back storage areas) for days if not a week in some places. Which means employees can steal a copy or retailers can sell it to friends and family. Which is one reason why it is already on the underground (warez) sites. They could have let them sell it as soon as it was in stores. But that wouldn't stop the pirating.

There is no way to stop this... but they could deter it some if the game industry really goes after these warez kiddies. Think about it. The music industry is getting $15,000 per illegal copy of a song. If the games industry and the film industry would go for the jugular of these pirates there would be a lot of people in jail and/or broke.

That might deter some of it but it will never stop it. But I believe there will be a day of atonement either here or on another plane. And at that time all you thieving mofos will burn.

I plan on buying a copy and am currently waiting my Ge Force 6800 GT delivery so that I can experience it in all its high-res glory.

24. The deity Aug 1, 2004, 19:55 gerauchertes

Stuff headed to retail outlets doesn't really ship "today", if "today" happens to be Sunday. Because, you know, the Sun God or the Baby Jesus or some stupid shit like that.

God doesn't want you to play this game. He doesn't want you to know!

23. Re: No subject Aug 1, 2004, 19:51 badtrip

"So, I've been playing for about one hour and... well... Is that it? Is that really the best they could come up with? It's not a bad game. It's a very polished and professionnal product and it's what I was expecting, but..."

I agree.

I have:
Athlon 64 3200+
1 GB 3200 ram
Hercules 9800 Pro 128 MB

I am running the game at 800x600, high detail settings and the game seems to hovering around the 35 FPS point (I'm eyeballing it here). The framerate at these setting reminds me of the framerate I was getting while playing Riddick on Xbox (if that means anything to you). The graphics are very close to what you see in Riddick but at a higher resolution. I must say that the game looks very good. I was running it at 1024x768 and medium detail. The frame rate was noticibly slower and the textures looked a bit blocky.

WARNING, very minor (not story related) spoilers ahead...

As far as gameplay goes, it really reminds me of Quake 2: run through the level, get some ammo, shoot bad guys over and over, repeat. There is some cool stuff like the in game computer interfaces and the physics is great. The story is not very interesting. I got bored with the npc email/voicemail that drives the story pretty quick. There are a few times the game makes you jump, but its not because the game is spooky, they pretty much resort to having monsters jump out at you unexpectedly.

I havent played multi yet, will wait until I finish single play to do so. I am looking forward to multi mainly because I prefer small 4-6 player deathmatches.

This comment was edited on Aug 1, 19:54.

22. Re: Well crap... Aug 1, 2004, 19:50 McNublet

I just talked to a guy at Ebgames and he's saying that the game shipped today and will be on shelves tomorrow instead of Tuesday.

Sweet.

21. Re: Well crap... Aug 1, 2004, 19:45 BIGtrouble77

"Did you guys have it delivered to your house, or is it the torrent that you managed to get?"

It's all over the place now, the usenet and there are a few torrents. The game is amazing and I hope that the people that were planning on buying it still do even if they're able to download it. And that goes for every game, not just this one.

I have an athlon 2500+ overclocked to 2.33ghz, 6800gt, and 1gb of memory. The game runs perfectly at 1280x1024, very high quality and 4x antialiasing(haven't tried the higher settings yet). Those of you with older hardware should be fine.

20. Hooters Aug 1, 2004, 19:39 gerauchertes

So uh, was Anna Nicole Smith really showin' her tits at that dork show, or is IGN just spewing the usual shite? 'Cause shit, that bitch is lookin' good lately.

19. Re: No subject Aug 1, 2004, 19:39 Ihya

Hey Ajax im all in, although im 6'4" and in good health.

In that case we'll bring baseball bats so's it looks convincing :). Don't worry, we'll spare your wasd fingers!

18. Re: Performance Issues Aug 1, 2004, 19:38 BIGtrouble77

Not sure what the performance problem I had was, but it runs great now that I updated the drivers. I have 1gb of ram so i'm good there. I can't believe how well this runs at 1280x1024 with antialiasing.

17. Re: Peformance Inquiry Aug 1, 2004, 19:34 McNublet

That's what I think. It's not worth it to upgrade my CPU or anything any further with PCIe coming out.

16. Re: Peformance Inquiry Aug 1, 2004, 19:34 tron

breadman,

i'm in the same boat as you - 1.9ghz cpu with 512 ram and a fx 5600 ultra. i'm going to get D3 at best buy because they have a deal where if you buy D3 with Kingston RAM (decent stuff from the reviews i've read) you get a $20 gift card. they have a 512MB stick of PC2700 for $100, with a $35 rebate (mail-in though, dammit) it costs $65.

i know the extra RAM will help, but not an amazing amount. i wondered about the vid card too... is it worth getting the next-gen FX's and ATI's with such a slow processor? i dunno...

- tron -
---
"tron is big and tron is full of action... it's a hell of a ride!"
-from the Tron 2.0 box

15. Re: Peformance Inquiry Aug 1, 2004, 19:29 Breadman86

my mobo only supports an upgrade to 2.4ghz... or thats what the manual says. blah, i'll probably go to a 64bit cpu and a new mobo with PCIe next year sometime... hmm... christmas present...

14. Re: Peformance Inquiry Aug 1, 2004, 19:27 McNublet

Yeah, that would be a good upgrade. Then you'd just have to worry about the processor in the future.

13. Peformance Inquiry Aug 1, 2004, 19:20 Breadman86

I know my 2ghz, 512 DDR, Ti4400 will run the game on low/medium settings, but say I added another 512mb DDR and changed the card to a 6800GT, but kept my 2ghz, would it make that much of a difference? it'd be a good $480 upgrade for the card and ram not counting taxes but keep in mind I'd be doing it for Doom3, Half-Life2, Tribes Vengeance, and whatever fancy other games pop up in the next year...

12. Yeah. Aug 1, 2004, 19:20 gerauchertes

From the Gamespot preview:

In short, these aren't the production values you'd expect from an id game; they are, based on our brief experience, much more impressive.

Fuckin'-A right.

11. Re: Well crap... Aug 1, 2004, 19:20 McNublet

From what I'm seeing a lot of people have gotten the torrent that hit last night. From how many leechers there are currently downloading it seems that ID has lost 720,000 (12,000 leechers * 60 bucks per copy) in sales to downloads before the game even goes retail. It's really sad.

I've got mine pre-ordered and hoping in comes in early

10. Well crap... Aug 1, 2004, 19:03 EJ

Gamestop says they get their first shipments of the game on the 4th. I see some people here already have the game. Did you guys have it delivered to your house, or is it the torrent that you managed to get?

The 4th isnt going to come...EVER...:(

9. Re: No subject Aug 1, 2004, 18:55 Kevlar

Gimp: I'm with you, heh.

Off the topic for a moment before it degenerates further - not only is IGN running a preview a day before the game hits stores, game information also lists the player count at 16.

Way to be on the ball there, guys. I thought I only had bad writing and McGriddle ads to look forward to when I visited your site - you can't be bothered to look up proper info on one of the most anticipated shooters in years?

148 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo