Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

DOOM 3 Previews

Even a slow Sunday gets its DOOM 3 post du jour, as there are a pair of previews of the imminent shooter online this weekend (thanks Frans). There are previews of the game on GameSpot and on IGN based on getting to check it out at the G-Phoria deal from G4. Here's a bit from GameSpot::

The Doom 3 demo station at G-Phoria didn't subject eager attendees to the game's introductory segment, which is reportedly set before all the hellish action picks up. In fact, our experience with Doom 3 started with the second level of the game, at which time the nameless main character is tasked with navigating the labyrinthine research base and briefly traversing the Martian landscape in search of a missing scientist. Right about the time you find this scientist, all hell breaks loose--literally--as a terrible presence overruns the base and your former comrades begin to turn demonically against you.

View
148 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

48. Re: Creative Sound Card Hell Aug 1, 2004, 22:56 fred flintstone

ray you are a sad man

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

47. Re: Creative Sound Card Hell Aug 1, 2004, 22:41 Ray Marden

So, it was just that PCI slot?

It really varies from MB to MB - newer ones, although still "sharing," really could not care less what you put where. It is more of the older MBs that have real issues with it. Some MBs will even take a straight "either or" approach to things - you will either have your AGP slot or you will have PCI 1 working.

If it was just the slot, check your MB manual and see what things are shared or how they are shared. If you are having issues, just use a slot that does not share resources with anything else, at least nothing important (do not mix and match thing slike your AGP card and soundcard, for example.)

I already had HL2 pre-ordered something like a year and half ago. I switched over to the collector's edition about two months ago. I only have one pre-order for that; who knows how crazy I will be come launch day.

Noting the local Targets do not have it either...,
Ray

-----
But, what is ultimately important in life?
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

46. my experience Aug 1, 2004, 22:39 Wiggamoe

after about 45 mintues of doom 3, I have come to this conclusion as far as hard ware goes...

I have the game set to medium quality @ 1024 x 768. I have a AMD 2700+, creative 5.1 platinum, 1 gb pc333 ram, and a ATI 9800 pro. I had no special settings (i.e. anti aliasing) enabled.

Using fraps, I had an average of 35 fps, though in areas where there were more than a few AI around, I would drop down to around 20. During scenes where the environment becaome complex, I would drop to a low of 15, where my lowest during FPS during hte game was 13. Over all, I hovered between 25-45 fps which is playable. Anyway, just wanted to give you guys some insight for the 3rd. thanks.

45. Re: Well crap... Aug 1, 2004, 22:26 Protoz

what if I download the game now...
then buy the hardware i need.. (just ordered cpu+ram+mb for $500)
then next month when i get my next paycheck, i buy the game...

does that make me a bad person?

bovan

That's what I did with War Craft 3, you're giving them money eventually so I say rock on.

44. Re: Performance Issues Aug 1, 2004, 22:19 BIGtrouble77

Found the root of my initial performance problems... The game doesn't seem to like having a second monitor enabled. I guess the guys at doom don't like using dual monitors, shame cause the game probably would have been out several months earlier if they did.

43. Re: Creative Sound Card Hell Aug 1, 2004, 22:08 eDave

Ray. You da man. I was thinking the same thing and was doing so as you were posting.

Everything is fine now. MB is an Asus P4S800. Not TOO old. Do you suppose a clean uninstall this time will free up the resources?

Thanks again Ray.

PS.. Gamestop pre-order(along with HL2)for me. Lunchtime on Tuesday.

42. Re: Creative Sound Card Hell Aug 1, 2004, 21:47 Ray Marden

I am all set for Best Buy, Gamestop, or EBGames.com.

I know that Gamestop will have it Tuesday afternoon at the latest and EBGames.com will have it to be by Wednesday at the latest, though I am hoping both CS.c and EBG.c ship out Monday.

As for Best Buy, who knows? It seems to be the big retailer breaking the embargo, but certainly not in our area. The BB advertisement in SJMN says "Available Wed., August 11."

Heh.

Thinking there is a 20% chance of EB having it in tomorrow,
Ray

-----
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

41. Re: well, that's partially true Aug 1, 2004, 21:46 TheNarcis

Anyways getting off topic here Looking forward to seeing
how Doom 3 runs on my antique geforce 3 hehe...
I'm in the "wannabe Xbox club" myself

Sad part is a PC with a GF3 still makes games look better than an XBox at a higher resolution to boot.

40. Re: Creative Sound Card Hell Aug 1, 2004, 21:41 Scottish Martial Arts

Going to make baby j33bus cry if I do not get Doom 3 tomorrow

The EB I preoordered at is saying they won't get it until Tuesday. My plan is to call every five minutes until they say otherwise.

39. Re: well, that's partially true Aug 1, 2004, 21:35 Schnapple

Here's the gig with "embargo dates"

When Neverwinter Nights shipped, it tricked in and was sold as soon as it hit shelves. The upside to this approach is that the people who preorder get it soon, as do the people who are lucky and get to the stores. The downside of this is that it becomes difficult to get a copy, due to the "trickle" effect of manufacturing.

When Warcraft III came out, it had an embargo date - some date in June or July of that year. The disadvantage is the rather annoying thing where you know it's in the stores and of course it's pirated ahead of time by some employee somwhere. The advantage? You can walk into a Best Buy and see a table FULL of the game. Everyone gets to have the game and no "well we know you preorderd but we only had three copies" BS...

Gamestop called me saying they're getting 20 copies of DOOM 3 in tommorow and if I'm one of the first 20 in at 7PM then I get one.

I'm in the "wannabe Xbox club" myself

Schnapple

http://www.schnapple.com/

38. Re: thank god for usenet Aug 1, 2004, 21:31 JoeCool

I wouldn't know how to use Usenet even if I wanted to.

37. Re: Creative Sound Card Hell Aug 1, 2004, 21:26 Ray Marden

Just out of curiosity, does it "work" when going back to the original PCI slot? Some MBs, especially the older variety, share resources between slots.

Otherwise, I would try reinstalling drivers (including removing any erroneous entries from device manager,) making sure that I have the latest drivers for my OS, rolling back to a previous restore point, and, as always, reinstalling Windows as a last resort.

Going to make baby j33bus cry if I do not get Doom 3 tomorrow,
Ray

-----
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

36. Creative Sound Card Hell Aug 1, 2004, 21:13 eDave

Hey there all. Been an avid reader for a few years but never posted. Was hoping I could get some insite.

Well...Was moving my Soundblaster Live Value card (which has always installed and run perfectly) away from my Saphirre 9500 Pro so I could get rid of the "heat pocket" being created so I could over-clock a bit and all hell broke loose.

It wasn't as simple as just moving to a new PCI slot. I had to reinstall the drivers but then XP gives me the old blue screen targeting the emu10k1.sys file. I have tried everything to get this fixed. Drivers are wiped, re-installed from both the installation disk and downloaded drivers and scoured the internet for solutions including renaming a bunch of files. All to no avail. Finally just thought I would use the on board MB Soundmax but it says it cannot find the drivers it is installing....Aargh!!

Anyway, thanks in advance for any thoughts.

This comment was edited on Aug 1, 21:21.

35. Re: well, that's partially true Aug 1, 2004, 20:57 Praxus

I doubt he's getting the same experience as on a legit server.
Plus you have absolutely no guarantees that one day you won't wake up and your character will be gone...a risk that is unacceptable to most players who put a lot of effort into
developing their characters.

Whereas a normal game thats warezed typically provides the full experience, except sometimes for multiplayer that requires keys.

34. Re: thank god for usenet Aug 1, 2004, 20:56 MindTrigger

Well, I too will be "sampling" it tonight, but I believe in paying for the games that are worth it.

I've had DOOM 3 on pre-order for months.

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

33. well, that's partially true Aug 1, 2004, 20:47 Wiggamoe

that's partially true, my buddy has a warez version of everquest, and he plays on those free servers, sony is losing money b/c of him.

32. Re: Sad thing about it... Aug 1, 2004, 20:41 Praxus

One thing about mmorpgs is that no sales are lost due to warez.

31. Re: Performance Issues Aug 1, 2004, 20:35 BIGtrouble77

"t's 512MB of video RAM, not regular RAM. AFAIK, there are not 512MB video card yet."

You only need 512mb for the highest setting and I think the only difference is that the textures are uncompressed- fixes some aliasing. My 256mb card works fine at the "very good" setting. I meant I have 1gb of system memory.

30. Re: Sad thing about it... Aug 1, 2004, 20:34 Shredder133

That's a good point. We don't want gamers turning against the computer game industry like what RIAA has done to the music industry. If someone hates you then they'll want to pay even less...

29. Re: Well crap... Aug 1, 2004, 20:32 bovan

what if I download the game now...
then buy the hardware i need.. (just ordered cpu+ram+mb for $500)
then next month when i get my next paycheck, i buy the game...

does that make me a bad person?

bovan

148 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo