Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Bizz Buzz - S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Delayed

Ubisoft optimistic on full year despite slow first quarter (thanks Mike Martinez) reports some financials, and looks at the glass as half-full, while in brighter bizz buzz, THQ Announces Fiscal 2005 First Quarter Results reports a profitable quarter for THQ, where they suffered net losses during the same period last year (thanks Frans). They also report a shift for S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: "The company announced that the new original PC title S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl is now scheduled to ship in the fiscal fourth quarter in order to maximize its sales potential."

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: No subject Jul 30, 2004, 16:19 Sepharo

Stop damn you! Don't ever mention Morrowind. That is like my video game cocaine. GOD I NEED IT SO BAD! Why did you have to release my supressed urges! ARGH! Must not play, must feed self, must sleep.... NOOOOO!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: No subject Jul 30, 2004, 14:57 7.62WorldOrder

Crap. This is the ONE game I didn't want to see delayed. HL2, Doom 3, etc. will probably kick ass but I've played that kind of game before. Stalker looks pretty unique, and the open-ended nature of it is something I've been looking forward to in a 3D game ever since Morrowind. Hopefully GSC takes good advantage this delay to put an extra coat of polish on the game.

26. Re: No subject Jul 30, 2004, 04:28 Raptor

Hmm, following the game, yet so little knowledge about the actual reasons of why things happen, worst kind of follower I can think of, not to mention following a game for years just to not play it.

Coop was explained, if they had the game on the same scale it was around 1-2 years ago, coop would have been doable, but it just got too big and detailed technically to be able to do coop (Yes there are technical limits when it comes to network play).
Features dropped on a monthly basis is quite far fetched aswell, things come and go. I doubt you can say you'll build a hovercraft and end up with one 4 years later.
The game started out with a quite different aim from what it is now.

Also note that the announcement/decision was most likely made by THQ the publisher not GSC, so it's apparently made for marketing reasons.
Oh well I can wait I guess, maybe its a good thing you don't get all the large hits in the same quarter.

25. Fits the profile...yep. Jul 30, 2004, 02:47 Hunterzyph

First you scale back on everything you say will be in the game, then you delay it.

24. No subject Jul 30, 2004, 02:13 space captain

FUCK!!!!

NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!

damnit all to fucking hell

shit this puts a damper on my fun schedule

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

23. Re: No subject Jul 30, 2004, 02:03 Scottish Martial Arts

To followup, if you've been following STALKER's development the past few years you'd realize everything GSC Gameworld promised is turning to bullshit.

Okay, now I understand you a bit better. I haven't been following STALKER's development real closely, mostly just watched some of the videos and was impressed by what I saw. Whether the game lives up to it's promise remains to be seen but the game looked fun if a bit rough based upon the videos of what is undoubtedly now an old build. As to the cutting of promised features, it's a reality of game development if you don't do it you end up with Battlecruiser 3000. STALKER seems wildly ambitious for what appears to be a relatively inexperienced developer, if they have to cut features to keep the project manageable they should. It all comes down to what is essential to the gameplay experience they are trying to create, if they retain and flesh out only the features that create that experience they should have a relatively successful game.

22. Re: I knew it.... Jul 30, 2004, 01:45 waxthirteen

lol I even posted it would be delayed again. hahahahah

so? you it's a safe bet to say any game is going to be delayed. i hate posts like that... i seriously doubt anyone here contested that remark when you originally made it.

21. Re: No subject Jul 30, 2004, 01:10 Apathy Curve

It's "Roadside Picnic" brought to life, if they stick with their design concept. I'll wait for it. It's based on what is arguably one of the best pieces of sci-fi ever put to paper, and probably the best of Russian sci-fi. (And that's not a slam. I love Russian sci-fi; as a group, their writers are innovative and creative in a way that Western culture inspired sci-fi has rarely seen. It's just that there are so few of them who've "made it big"-- Issac Asimov not included, being a naturalized (I think) immigrant).

20. Re: No subject Jul 29, 2004, 22:39 Mad Max RW

To followup, if you've been following STALKER's development the past few years you'd realize everything GSC Gameworld promised is turning to bullshit. With a keen eye you can see right through the numerous "gameplay" videos. AI will be its downfall.

This isn't the first time STALKER was delayed. The developers themselves predicted it would have already been released 2 years ago. A public demo was supposed to happen last February. Lots of features are being dropped on a monthly basis. The long hyped coop mode promising 32-64 player servers (a sort of lite-MMORPG) meeting the axe.
The fact is, the more they delay it, the more they hype and silently cut features, the more likely the game will suck gigantic ass.

And please don't mistaken this as a rant because they dropped coop. I most likely would never have played it to begin with. I've watched STALKER very closely since the beginning, and clearly see all the same patterns associated with over-hyped flops in the making.
This comment was edited on Jul 29, 22:43.

19. Re: No subject Jul 29, 2004, 22:02 Scottish Martial Arts

Fear of other titles isn't the reason they delayed it.

That there is proof of why hardcore gamers are jackasses.

18. No subject Jul 29, 2004, 22:02 Pie4Foo

Ok, here's your financial decoder ring:

THQ's 2005 first quarter (Q1) just ended on June 30th. So, that means:

Q2 ends on Sept. 30, 2004
Q3 ends on Dec. 31, 2004
Q4 ends on March 31, 2005

QED, Stalker will be released sometime between Jan 1 and March 31st of next year.

17. Re: No subject Jul 29, 2004, 21:54 Mad Max RW

Fear of other titles isn't the reason they delayed it.

16. Re: No subject Jul 29, 2004, 21:51 Jim

Alpha was leaked, like 2 years ago

an alpha of Doom 3 also leaked 2 (or more?) years ago.

Jim

15. Re: No subject Jul 29, 2004, 21:51 Scottish Martial Arts

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY holding back a game just to maximize your profits, I mean I would too, but shit I want to play it now.

Think of it this way: if the game ships in November there is no way in hell it will be able to compete with Halo 2, Half-Life 2, Doom 3, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Brothers in Arms or Goldeneye 2. It would become the new Beyond Good and Evil and a sequel would never be financially justified. There will be plenty of good stuff to play this holiday season, this way we'll have something cool after the holiday rush and will be more likely to get a sequel.

14. I knew it.... Jul 29, 2004, 21:28 Shataan

lol I even posted it would be delayed again. hahahahah

13. No subject Jul 29, 2004, 21:26 Ajax

Alpha was leaked, like 2 years ago

but still

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY holding back a game just to maximize your profits, I mean I would too, but shit I want to play it now.

12. Re: Atleast they said the truth Jul 29, 2004, 21:21 Sepharo

Stalker's source code was also stolen, or at least an alpha was leaked. Looks damned good judging from the videos and the alpha.

11. Re: Atleast they said the truth Jul 29, 2004, 21:15 Krovven

Basically don't expect STALKER until after the new year at the earliest.

10. Atleast they said the truth Jul 29, 2004, 20:56 Tehol

atleast they did not beat around the bush or come up with any excuses like ahem *source code* theft.

i am disappointed but i guess aug to nov of this year will be very exciting time for gamers.

9. Re: Is it delayed? Jul 29, 2004, 20:45 Ray Marden

Note the "fiscal" part of the text. Its fiscal year starts/ends in March and you can see that its first fiscal quarter ended in June.

Noting the ongoing losses,
Ray

-----
Friends do not let EVIL piglets play Doom 3!
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo