Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Half-Life 2 Imminent?

HalflifeSource (thanks HomeLAN Fed) is reporting news from Valve's Doug Lombardi, saying: "Half-Life 2 will be passed on to publisher Vivendi for final mastering and duplication within days for it's early August target. The official appearance will make store shelves sometime in mid to late September."

View
116 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

96. Re: No subject Jul 29, 2004, 08:52 glimmerman

If you were truly dumb enough to actually buy the 9800 for a game that wasn't even released, you deserved to be taken.

who was taken? From what I hear the graphics requirements are the same as when it was first announced and the Radeon 9800 pro (and NP) are ONE of the most solid all-around graphics cards ever made... and its still being sold/bought.

I'm not saying it was a smart move for people to buy a vid card soley on the immenince of a game but its hardly a waste of cash either.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
What Would Fred Do?

Dumb or not, I did get taken. Valve lied about the release date. They probably had a royalty deal with ATI, or maybe even a flat rate deal. Who cares which. Point is they KNEW they wouldn't make the September date by at least six months, with or without the code leak. But they kept stating they would. What they pulled was pretty dirty, to make some short term cash to top up their petty cash kitty for the last development stage. In the meantime, now my card has aged. I am getting less value for it as the game I really wanted to play was HL2. So I'll be able to play HL2. Will I be able to play next years games? Not as well as the guy who is buying an X800 now for the same cash I dished on the 9800.
Hence, value lost. Thanks valve.

This comment was edited on Jul 29, 08:58.

-------------------------------
I smell a revolution.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

95. RADEON 9800 Jul 29, 2004, 08:50 Acleacius

"if they bought the 9800 pro for the free HL2 coupon. Afterall, the 9800 pro dropped in price by like $150"

It was the 9800XT whihc still cost 349, will is down $100 in about a year.
So its not so bad, if you can afford it.

I havent been able to afford, top of the line every 6 months any more, with the bush ecomony, they are killing tech.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

94. l33t phr34k3rs before time? Jul 29, 2004, 08:34 Leo

You guys think that the source code theft that happened, will affect the...*cue orchestra music* "ONLINE GAMING EXPERIENCE"? I mean, will cheats pop-up sooner than expected?

93. No subject Jul 29, 2004, 08:25 AthlonSeven

Yes, steam is a great program! Slim, fast, efficient... I've grown to love it, even though at first it was thorny to say the least.  
http://www.memenest.com

92. So what's the word on steam? Jul 29, 2004, 08:13 Jim

I've seen a lot of steam-bashing, but for those who have seen it in use, is it worth signing up for an account to download HL2 (I am assuming HL2 will be available thru steam)?

Do you get good throughput?

Jim

91. Re: No subject Jul 29, 2004, 08:09 garry

"On a different note. I see tons of people shouting about moids this mods that for the new source engine because it is half life 2. They fail to realize why there were so many mods for the first half life was the fact that hundreds of mod makers were so used to it from being Quake 2 based. Thus the easy transition.
"

They made the half-life 2 engine with half-life 1 in mind. It all works in pretty much the same way - so the transition between hl1 and hl2 modding will be a peice of piss.

Modding isn't something they tacked on later - it's been made with modding in mind.

90. Re: No subject Jul 29, 2004, 07:35 Yakumo

there was only one leak afaik, one partial source leak they publicised, the other the early alpha with tons of stuff missing. weather the executables for the content theft were made by compiling the source i have no idea.. only valve could probably figure that out.

either way, but content was definately stolen, content being anythign that isn't code, textures, models, sounds etc...

89. RADEON 9800 Jul 29, 2004, 07:35 Charlie_Six

I can understand the frustration people have had, if they bought the 9800 pro for the free HL2 coupon. Afterall, the 9800 pro dropped in price by like $150 (50%) within a single year, so the HL2 deal was not a good deal. Plus there really wasn't anything that came out to play in the meantime. Unreal 2004 was fun for about 2 weeks before it became nothing more than a mindless blast fest.

I'm glad I waiting till HL2 releases before I buy a new computer, RAM, and a 9800 pro.

Adventures of a video game mercenary
http://virtualmerc.blogspot.com

88. Re: No subject Jul 29, 2004, 07:35 rkone

Well, I've heard conflicting stories on just how far along they were. The fact is 5 years worth of work was stolen, and I would imagine it was HUGE job to rewrite major portions of the code that could be sabatoged by hackers.

They didn't rewrite the engine. Think about it - no matter how strong your code is, you cannot stop hackers.
The best copy protection is broken in days, and released with trainers. The only other hacking that would concern developers is multiplayer cheats. Any engine built nowadays does not rely on security through obscurity, simply because the hackers will eventually figure it out. Time is spent limiting the damage that can be done by people who don't have access to the game server. Obviously valve is betting that HL2 will be a huge online game, so they'd have done their homework here.
Knowing this, why would valve spend several months rewriting code when in the end it will only delay hackers by a few months at best? Add a punkbuster style app, and publicly released cheats are shut down within days anyway. There aren't going to be many more people making private cheats either - you still need to know how to create hacks, and even with source it's not simple. For the source to be usefull, you need the same compiling tools that valve used, which are not cheap (or easy to find as warez).

Oh, and then there was the content leak. Thousands of files, with varying, but many recent (for the time) filedates, and a bunch of half-finished maps that put together couldn't amount to more than a few hours of gameplay. Even before E3 valve would have known Sept 30 was impossible.

Great, so take it out on the publisher, not the damn developers, especially not developers like Valve who have given so much to the gaming community to be treated like shit for missing a release date.

I was pointing out that gamers have justifiable reason to complain in general. I'd say the most complaining is done about the publishers. As Crytek has shown with their missed dates, I agree gamers can go a bit overboard sometimes, OTOH, the 1.2 patch seems to be getting great response, even though it was pulled because it didn't work for some people.

The complaints against Valve are another story, that was more than just missing a release date. They compounded the problem with the 2-3 month code rewrite delay story that was false and the ATi bundle.

87. Re: No subject Jul 29, 2004, 07:02 Eps

I thought that the playable version of HL2 was combination of the stolen source code and content taken from a earlier (unrelated to the theft) alpha leak (similar to waht happened to Doom3). And that was why it was so incomplete. Are you sure content was stolen ?, I don't remember valve ever saying that, they did say that the entire codebase was taken however.

86. Re: No subject Jul 29, 2004, 06:55 Yakumo

no, large amounts of content was stolen, a playable early alpha in fact, it looked like it was taken from a very unfinished version of the 1st e3 demo, i saw it at a mini lan, it had most of the bits from the video shown, but objects missing with big red 'error' models or something instead in many places and tons of bugs, and the lan peeps noticed several differences between the vid and alpha, so we thought the claims of it being what valve had jsut b4 sept 30th were total BS.

everyone who saw it all thoghut it was a great shame it had been stolen, but it was good PR, as it ran so well on the crappy box some guy was playing it on, and looked so damn promising, same as the doom3 alpha, i'd be shocked if anyone was stupid enough to feel anything other than desperation to buy the full game after seeing them.

can't wait to buy the game but DOOM3 comes first \o/

This comment was edited on Jul 29, 07:00.

85. Cool Jul 29, 2004, 06:14  famished 

Looking forward to this one. Not wanting to comment before either game is out, but I cant help but think Doom 3 will be a little more shallow.

84. Re: No subject Jul 29, 2004, 06:07 Eps

My understanding was that no content was stolen, only the source code. It's reasonable to assume that if valve were saying sep 30 as a release date up until the week before then almost all of the content would (should ?) have been complete. To counter act the source code theft they said they needed to rewrite large sections to prevent hacking, cheating, etc. How long does that take ?, it seems it takes them a year...

Obviously moaning about this is a bit childish, afterall if anyone really dislikes the company now you can just refuse to buy their product.

However it is obvious that something strange has happened. Was the content complete as of september 30 last year ?, if not why did they state a release date they couldn't possibly make ?, if the content was complete what have they been doing for the last 12 months ?. Inquiring minds want to know.

Maybe some of these questions will be answered when HL2 arrives (mid september ?, i'll believe it when I see it). But it does seem likely that because of bad management or whatever valve lied to gamers, people do have a right to be weary and suspicous.

83. Re: No subject Jul 29, 2004, 06:01 Mr Gar

On a different note. I see tons of people shouting about moids this mods that for the new source engine because it is half life 2. They fail to realize why there were so many mods for the first half life was the fact that hundreds of mod makers were so used to it from being Quake 2 based. Thus the easy transition.

Just because it says Half Life on the box does not mean their engine will be easy mod accessable. Nor does it guarantee a fast SDK. We heard the same mutter about Far Cry and well that is dieing real fast as far as mod talk.

Don't scare me, I love my mods (Dreams of Natural Selection on HL2) Although as you said we all had high hopes for Far Cry and bugger all's happened so far

82. Re: No subject Jul 29, 2004, 05:35 Sepharo

ildon... Did I ever tell you you're my hero? You're everything, everything I wish I could be. Oh, and I, I could fly higher than an eagle, for you are the wind beneath my wings, 'cause you are the wind beneath my wings.

81. No subject Jul 29, 2004, 05:14 ildon

Sure it sucks that the source code and the entire game including unannounced things like CS and HL ported to Source, and Ritual's version of CZ, and an early version of what became the retail CZ, were stolen. But the fact is HL2 was never going to be released on Sept. 30, no matter what. And Valve had the gall to LIE to people at trade shows as close as two weeks before the date that they knew they had no hope of making. Without the game theft, my guess is we would have seen the game this May at the absolute earliest, and that's being very gracious. Anyone who thinks they had to recode the game from scratch is an idiot.

Anyway, nin's comment (which seemed to spark 75% of this debate) is what I like to call a "joke". See, jokes are things people say to try and be funny, although sometimes unsuccessfully. Usually they take something in real life, and view it from an intentionally incorrect or skewed perspective (sometimes taking advantage of people's own false understanding of a situation) to entertain people. See sometimes jokes require you to say to yourself "I realize that statement is based on something factually incorrect, but that does not necessarily undermine the comment's comedic value. HL2 is indeed a year late (at least), and while the merits of how and why are debateable, it's popular for people to blame it on the 'source theft', so I can understand how it would be amusing if it were stolen again and the game delayed for another year. Haha! I will move on with my life instead of posting 300 word essays on why 'fanboys' need to stop 'bashing' HL2!"

80. Re: No subject Jul 29, 2004, 05:00 Hump

If you were truly dumb enough to actually buy the 9800 for a game that wasn't even released, you deserved to be taken.

who was taken? From what I hear the graphics requirements are the same as when it was first announced and the Radeon 9800 pro (and NP) are ONE of the most solid all-around graphics cards ever made... and its still being sold/bought.

I'm not saying it was a smart move for people to buy a vid card soley on the immenince of a game but its hardly a waste of cash either.

What Would Fred Do?

"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

79. Re: No subject Jul 29, 2004, 04:43 Krovven

Bottomline...who really gives a fuck? The game is due out in September now, we'll have Doom 3 to play in the meantime.

If you were truly dumb enough to actually buy the 9800 for a game that wasn't even released, you deserved to be taken. Regardless, did you even read the news post a couple down on Half Life Source? They are playing with a rez of 1920x1200 on a P4 2.8C processor, 1gb DDR400, and a Radeon 9800XT. Your 9800 Pro is going to be just fine.

78. Re: No subject Jul 29, 2004, 03:58 Zephalephelah

The thief said he had everything, but he never put it out; why? Because what he had was a bunch of poo.

He did put it out, everywhere. If you go to Russia you will find copies of the game based off the source code.

Neg. He put out poo.
Imagine small portions of the game, mostly E3 segments. Now imagine a whole lot of huge blocks everywhere that say “NO TEXTURE”. Now imagine non-existent AI, so either there are scripted scenes, or nothing at all happens. Now imagine immense areas that have no playability and are so completely unfinished you are basically looking at a lego land map made with huge blocks of one single-color each.

The reason that Valve got their shit broken into in the first place was because they had the security equivalent of having their computers on the front lawn at Valve Headquarters with a sign reading, “Please don’t steal this, it’s really valuable”.

Yes, their security sucked. Still, I'm not going to hate them because their sysadmin didn't know what he was doing. Just because Valve is a big time dev doesn't mean they are immune to small time mistakes. Multi-billion dollar corporations have their shit stolen all the time, both internally and externally.

My idea was that Gabe was using one of the master boxes from where he mailed from his Valve.com email address to everyone and anyone. There’s complete header data on that mail and a haxor could easily figure out where the trail begins if not where it ends as well. It’s like having a great big spotlight shining up into cyberspace, but instead of a Batman symbol it shows a guy fucking a pipe with a water faucet. Almost like Eat at Joes, but this time it’s Fuck Valve up the Ass.

If you can prove me wrong do so, I don't mind being proven wrong if I am.

I don’t have a problem with it either, so I’ll drop that whole argument.

77. Re: No subject Jul 29, 2004, 03:29 Planet X

They said that their source code was ripped in October.

From what I read Valve said the code was stolen in September, towards the end of the month.

The thief said he had everything, but he never put it out; why? Because what he had was a bunch of poo.

He did put it out, everywhere. If you go to Russia you will find copies of the game based off the source code.

The reason that Valve got their shit broken into in the first place was because they had the security equivalent of having their computers on the front lawn at Valve Headquarters with a sign reading, “Please don’t steal this, it’s really valuable”.

Yes, their security sucked. Still, I'm not going to hate them because their sysadmin didn't know what he was doing. Just because Valve is a big time dev doesn't mean they are immune to small time mistakes. Multi-billion dollar corporations have their shit stolen all the time, both internally and externally.

If the thief did have everything, the game would have been put on the net for downloading and it would have been a Warez wet dream. As it was, the friends of mine who grabbed it said it was a bunch of poop, full of scripted sequences, lacking any semblance of AI at all, with maps of the equivalent of a small child with a crayon in hand.

I'll take your word for it. I had no desire to download something stolen from Valve in the first place, but I know many were curious about it. I heard the game was playable from start to finish, so I guess I heard wrong.

The game simply wasn’t finished. The release date came & went, THEN the code was stolen.

No it wasn't. Valve announced the theft after the Septemeber 30th release date passed, but it was stolen mid September. If you can prove me wrong do so, I don't mind being proven wrong if I am.

116 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo