Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I got the BlueTruck back from the shop... the new shocks have been installed, but DrWrench discovered another issue with the suspension, it seems that a connector on the rear sway bar had disconnected, a further explanation for its rough ride lately. The thing here is that this is the third noticeable issue of this sort that has gone undiagnosed by the local dealer where they perform my scheduled maintenance. Prior to missing the sway bar (which is hanging literally an inch from the shock they discovered was leaking), they also failed to notice any brake wear through several tire rotations and such until the brakes were irreparable and needed replacing, and they also missed a broken hose through at least one oil change that involved inspecting the hoses and belts. Strike three and they are out... I guess I can only blame myself for this, though, as there are certainly enough folks out there who will testify that the car dealer is probably not the place to go for repairs and maintenance. I guess I now qualify as one of them. Yeesh.

Links of the Day: Doom - the Movie. Thanks DooM.
ChiliCheese.org. Thanks Devicer.
Nintendo Entertainment Console.
Stories of the Day: Music industry drills dentists for royalties.
Science!: Japanese science council approves limited cloning of human embryo.
Landing technology tested for future spacecraft.
Mercury Mission Set to Launch.
Media of the Day: N.H. Troopers bag their limit. Thanks Devicer.
Follow-up: 'Beagle 3' looks to American ride.
Thanks Mike Martinez

View
136 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

16. Re: oh, Jethro... Jul 26, 2004, 13:20 nin

Okay, now this is creepy... that *is* actually my pal Devicer. The creepy thing is that you figured this out, while I did not figure this out myself when replying -- I didn't know it was him until he called me and told me.

Open his name link...it says his name is "Hoosier Dadi" who you've talked about gaming with before. I guessed the two were one and the same?

edit:
Can anyone who has a Geforce 6800 GT tell me if a 350 Watt power supply is ok? I read something about needing to get a new power supply for the 6800's a while back.

I've heard 350 works as long as you don't try and overclock the card...guess we'll find out together!

See you in Hell! http://www.doom3.com/
This comment was edited on Jul 26, 13:23.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Geforce 6800 GT Power Jul 26, 2004, 13:17 JoeCool

Can anyone who has a Geforce 6800 GT tell me if a 350 Watt power supply is ok? I read something about needing to get a new power supply for the 6800's a while back.

-----------------------------------------------
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2833000 - My 3DMark03 Score
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?pcm04=2488339 - My PCMark04 Score
http://users.ign.com/collection/PilotCman - My Games

14. Re: oh, Jethro... Jul 26, 2004, 13:15  Blue 

2. Are you the same person Blue games with occasionally?

Okay, now this is creepy... that *is* actually my pal Devicer. The creepy thing is that you figured this out, while I did not figure this out myself when replying -- I didn't know it was him until he called me and told me.

Spoooky.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

13. Re: oh, Jethro... Jul 26, 2004, 13:12 Bronco

Around the same time (mid-late 90's) the build quality of American vehicles enjoyed a well-documented increase in overall quality.

No domestic producer is quite as "bulletproof" as either Honda or Toyota (YET!!!)

No kidding. I've owned both domestic and foreign made cars. The domestic cars couldn't hold a candle to the Hondas and Mazdas I've owned quality wise. The only reason I bought them in the first place was a better interest rate than any Japanese auto maker was offering.

After my latest experiences owning a Ford I plan a hasty return to Honda or Toyota.

The safety recalls alone are enough to make me want to run from my Ford.

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.com

C'mon Dave, give me a break.
This comment was edited on Jul 26, 13:14.

-TPFKAS2S

12. Re: oh, Jethro... Jul 26, 2004, 13:05 nin

1. Welcome The perpetually unnamed one...

2. Are you the same person Blue games with occasionally?

Just curious...

11. Re: oh, Jethro... Jul 26, 2004, 12:35  Blue 

Not just my $.02, but just about the only thing on which the mainstream auto press can reach consensus currently.

What he said:

http://www.thejournalnews.com/newsroom/030904/d01a09newcars.html

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

10. oh, Jethro... Jul 26, 2004, 12:27 The perpetually unnamed one

First of all Saturn is made by GM (Chevy)...it replaced Oldsmobile in the product line, when GM decided to kill a brand that skewed old and male (and sold few units), with one engineered to fit a young, female buyer.

Around the same time (mid-late 90's) the build quality of American vehicles enjoyed a well-documented increase in overall quality. The longer warranty periods you see on domestic vehicles are a direct result of that. Warranty periods are based on service actuarials of the previous model years - otherwise all car companies and dealers would go bankrupt on service.

No domestic producer is quite as "bulletproof" as either Honda or Toyota (YET!!!), but GM has already exceeded the build quality and reliability of several Euro producers in some recent lines (and has actually increased BQ in SAAB's offerings), and Chrysler has integrated quite a lot of Mercedes tech into their product line.

Not just my $.02, but just about the only thing on which the mainstream auto press can reach consensus currently.

9. Music industry drills dentists for roya Jul 26, 2004, 12:04 Hump

I had to look twice at the header on that page to make sure it wasn't BB-Spot or The Onion.

Lawyers....gotta love 'em.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
What Would Fred Do?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

8. Re: wow Jul 26, 2004, 12:02 Pie4Foo

Basically driving it... it's 4700 lbs empty, and with over 40K miles on it, the suspension (all wear parts, after all) has already done a lot of work.

Wow, that seems like a lot of miles for you. Don't you have a home office?

It's pretty striking to hear your dealership missed such those items, *especially* if your truck is known for having those problems. Did you ever take it into the dealership and specifically ask them about the ride quality?

7. Re: Finding A good mechanic Jul 26, 2004, 11:56 Jethro

I've driven Honda's for the last 5 years, and always taken mine to the dealership for maintenancce, including oil changes. Never had any problems, and generally felt that I paid a fair price. I really think part of the problem, and I hate to say this, is that American cars and trucks simply aren't made with the same quality as some imports. I've driven enough crappy American made cars that I doubt I'll ever own another, unless I see a big change in quality. I'm not anti-american, I simply think our auto industry has perfected the 5 year disposable car. I'll agree that not all American cars are alike. I've heard very good things about Saturns, but the big three, Frod, Chevy, Chrysler, have been making crap for a long time now.

6. Re: Finding A good mechanic Jul 26, 2004, 11:28 nin

My experience has usually been that Dealers do good work, they just charge twice as much as anyone else.

I'll echo this, ands say that while you pay more, the repair work usually last longer, too. Note the word "usually" though...just because you go to the dealership doesn't mean that everyone that works there knows what they're doing.

5. Finding A good mechanic Jul 26, 2004, 11:10 LG Orange Drink

Two things I've learned the hard way over the years to find a good mechanic. Ask them to check the brakes or the exhaust. If you find someone who doesn't insist the rotors need resurfacing on the brakes, they are honest. If you find someone who doesn't tell you you need a whole new exhaust system from front to back (or even tells you a quick patch and they will fix it for $20) then you've found a gem.

Ask at an oil change place. They know something about cars and thrive off disgruntled dealership customers. If its something they can't handle, they usually know somebody trustworthy.

4. Re: wow Jul 26, 2004, 10:54  Blue 

For the love of god Blue, What are you doing to this truck to cause all that damage? I thought it was a 2001 or 2002?

Basically driving it... it's 4700 lbs empty, and with over 40K miles on it, the suspension (all wear parts, after all) has already done a lot of work.

What I've learned is that Chrysler/Dodge vehicles are notorious for the problem I had with the anti-sway bar because the end-links (like the one that failed on my truck) cannot be lubricated.

Apparently what happened is the sway broke and the shocks then had to do extra work keeping the truck from leaning in the turns, so the shocks failed too... How the mechanic at the dealer missed the broken sway hanging next to the shock is the part I still can't figure.

Anyway, I am replacing the stock sways with an aftermarket set-up from Hotchkis that actually has lube points.

This comment was edited on Jul 26, 10:56.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

3. That's kinda odd Jul 26, 2004, 10:50 Baudkarma

My experience has usually been that Dealers do good work, they just charge twice as much as anyone else. And the fact that they missed that other stuff is puzzling, too... usually mechanics are told to keep their eyes open for any other work that might need to be done while they've got the car... more profit for the Dealer, y'know.

I was lucky when I lived in San Antonio... one of the other parents at my kids school recommended a repair shop to us. The guy turned out to be honest, competent, reliable, and even inexpensive. The only downside was that he always had a backlog of work, so we always had to go without one of our cars for several days while it was being repaired.

I asked him once why he didn't move, get a bigger shop, hire more mechanics, and he told me that his Dad had opened the shop in the '50s, he'd been working there his whole life, and he was perfectly content with the way things were and had no desire to change.

I'm sprawled across the davenport of despair.

It's the land of the brave, and the home of the free, where the less you know the better off you'll be.

2. Auto Service Jul 26, 2004, 10:47 Choachy

As a 13 year Saturn owner, one of the things that prompted me to buy another Saturn, after owning the sport coupe for 10 years, was the service I recieved from the dealership. It really says something for them when I trust and value their mechanics more than any of the repair places around town.

One of the worst dealers for service Ive had experience with? Ford. Good Lord, I wouldnt send anyone there with me pushing.

1. wow Jul 26, 2004, 10:45 Enahs

For the love of god Blue, What are you doing to this truck to cause all that damage? I thought it was a 2001 or 2002?

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

136 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo