Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Crytek and EA

Hot off the success of Far Cry comes the announcement that developer Crytek is jumping into a strategic partnership with Electronic Arts:

Chertsey, UK. – July 23rd, 2004 - Electronic Arts (NASDAQ: ERTS), the world's leading interactive entertainment software company, today announced a worldwide strategic partnership to develop and publish a new game franchise with developer Crytek GmbH. The agreement builds on Crytek's success with its first title, the chart-leading first-person shooter, Far Cry, and brings together the creative talent of Crytek with the publishing expertise and unrivalled reach of Electronic Arts. The highly regarded German developer will create an exciting new game franchise for the PC based on original intellectual property. Financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

"Bringing original intellectual property to the interactive entertainment market is a key focus for EA," said Frank Sagnier, vice president, EA Partners Europe. "EAP's partnership agreement with Crytek is a testament to our commitment to nurturing creative development and we are delighted to be working with one of the brightest talents in Europe to create what we believe will be an innovative gaming experience."

Cevat Yerli, president of Crytek said, "We are looking forward to this partnership with EA. Our advanced technology and creativity, together with EA's production support, marketing and sales, means that we have a great opportunity to bring an original gaming experience to our consumers, as well as grow our business. We are thrilled to see this development get underway".

View
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

52. Re: So long as... Jul 24, 2004, 06:41 Ihya

Why does UBI soft suck? Of late they poduced prince of persia, far cry, XIII, and beyond good and evil, which have all been recognised as very good games and ones I've derived a great deal of enjoyment from. The last two were original properties that tried to do something different for a change.

Atari = (Matrix, Driv3r) bad
EA = 10 000 000 Sims and WW II clones. Bad

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

51. Re: So long as... Jul 24, 2004, 01:18 nin

huh? you know iD is a developer, not a publisher, correct?

Huh? <nin looks in pockets> Doh! This damn crackpipe...you are correct, sir!

Jay "Apologies to my friends for carping on the DVD Topic" K.

Actually, your rants have been rather humorous. And I agree, it's past time stuff started shipping on dvd. Like, say, DOOM3.

See you in Hell! http://www.doom3.com/

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

50. Heh Jul 23, 2004, 23:33 John

I knew the type of comments that you guys would have about this before I even looked..

This comment was edited on Jul 23, 23:34.

This space is available for rent

49. Re: So long as... Jul 23, 2004, 20:54 Wade

I think Vivendi Universal (Monolith games, Valve, Ground Control II) and Activision are 2 very good publishers.

48. Re: So long as... Jul 23, 2004, 19:50 Gdiguy

Closing Origin or Westwood means nothing. They still have most of the same responsible staff and produce the same games.

CC Generals would have came out no different whether Westwood had its Texas office still open or not.

Generals was made by the same non-westwood (EA LA) team that made Red Alert 2; although there were a few people from Westwood in that group, most did other things (most notably Earth & Beyond, which recieved Motor-City Online-level support from EA).

The main reason everyone hates EA (besides unnecessarily destroying good developing groups) is that they're the largest force behind the "rush a game to release, maybe patch it once or twice, and then forget about it" trend that's infesting PC games now... The only way EA will fund further work on a project is if it culminates in more expansion packs they can sell (*coughs in the Sims direction*), and not for the reason they should (making a good game? not pissing off your game's fanbase for the future?)

// Still bitter about Earth & Beyond

47. DVD DVD DVD DVD Jul 23, 2004, 19:47 Jay K.

Now that they're partners... DO YOU THINK THEY'LL ADVERTISE Far Cry with a DVD??

Jay "Apologies to my friends for carping on the DVD Topic" K.

46. No subject Jul 23, 2004, 19:37 ColligoMortis

well if farcry wasnt genericly bland enough, im sure EA will find some way to inject som more of that into this franchise..

45. Re: So long as... Jul 23, 2004, 19:28 Hump

Gotta be id...

huh? you know iD is a developer, not a publisher, correct? Activision has published iD's games back to Quake 1 (I think)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
What Would Fred Do?

"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

44. Re: So long as... Jul 23, 2004, 18:46 Ray Marden

What have they published?

Having sworn they worked with publishers on all their games,
Ray

-----
Friends do not let EVIL piglets play Doom 3!
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=ANF&id=ray_marden
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

43. Re: So long as... Jul 23, 2004, 18:29 Hump

I can't think of a good publisher anymore.

as far as big publishers Activision seems to at least commit to quality and releasing Enemy Territory for the hardcore crowd was a nice gesture. Since Hellchick sarted working there they have improved their attitude towards the community for the better.

MS games division is pretty decent. They have a huge QA facility from what I hear and have no problem delaying games past their holiday release dates simply so the game will be up to snuff technically.

What Would Fred Do?

"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

42. Re: So long as... Jul 23, 2004, 18:19 nin

Gotta be id...

See you in Hell! http://www.doom3.com/

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

41. Re: So long as... Jul 23, 2004, 18:09 Jedi Master

EA sucks.

Lucasarts sucks (not Star Wars? Kill it!)

Ubisoft sucks.

Their instance on using damn ubi.com even if you want to just do a direct ip-to-ip game between friends really blows when patches tend to erase your logon info that you NEVER remember.

The Jedi Master

40. Re: So long as... Jul 23, 2004, 15:26 Hump

Or maybe it has something to do with the closing of Origin and Westwood?

or how about forcing Barking Dog to produce a gold-master for Global Ops when it wasn't even finished in its beta testing yet?...a game that was, on paper, superior in every way to CS except BD (who made what was arguably the best update of pre-1.0 Counter-Strike) was never allowed to follow through on its execution. ...

Or lets not forget Multiplayer Battletech 3025 with 20,000 ACTIVE testers ready to plunk down $10 per motnh only to have EA cancel it on the eve of its release and breaking up one of the most talented and experienced studios working in online games in its day (Kesmai) simply because the management at EA didn't want to have to clear things through the Battletech IP owner (MS).

oh oh oh, and then theres Motor City Online (originally it was titled "Need For Speed Motor City....a game with American muscle cars) which was never originally meant to be a MMOG but some suit at EA.com insisted the time was right so they changed development half way through and came out with a product that was never fully thought out due to time and money constraints brought about by....

"MAJESTIC!!"

Majestic, the money sucking black-hole of game development which everyone connected to the industry praised as being "cutting edge"...."a new paradigm"...."daring" ...etc. Evidently no one convinced consumers of its "greatness" as it went down in flames taking hundreds of jobs (except for upper management of course....they got severance and a transferral) with it.

or how about The Sims? EA showed its "support" for the fans of its record breaking sales game by releasing a nice SDK......for $20. Someone mustve told them that if they tried the same thing with Battlefield they'd have a mutiny so instead of supporting the cost of the SDK ,they did jack shit and let Trauma (DC authors) and DICE produce it on their own dime.

Talk to some of the working stiffs who worked at EA.com during its demise. They'll tell you how wonderful EA is/was

yeah, EA is just swell....

What Would Fred Do?

- Jim Goad

39. Re: So long as... Jul 23, 2004, 15:08 DedEye

It never cease to amaze me the misconceptions and preconceived notions surrounding this publisher.

Gotta love the bashing. They are the number one gaming company in the world with most sales. I guess people do like them since they sell more than any other company.

They're also very good at what they do.

And if you think im joking just ask Westwood Studios.

It doesent have to say they bought them, its only a matter of time till it happens, first the contracts to make the game then they buy you out. its happened to many others and it will happen again.

I wonder which person(s) at Westwood signed the deal to get bought out by EA? Are they not just as responsible?

It seems to me that in the last number of years EA has invested millions into "innovative" or "different/creative" games. Black and White, The Sims, MotorCity Online, and Majestic to name but a few. Many of these titles bombed. Would you be willing to invest millions more into unknowns? I wouldn't, at least not in the near term.

Every company does shit like this.

You got that right. If I was to boycott every publisher or dev that pissed me off over the last 20 years I would've stopped playing games on PCs long ago.

38. Re: So long as... Jul 23, 2004, 14:36 MMORPGHoD

Yeah every company does thinks like, cancel the next generation Ultima series game.. twice.

But do not despair, the responsible origin and westwood staff now at EA have just released Catwoman and Ultima Online: Samurai Empire. I'm glad to see the same tradition being continued that you would have expected from Origin and Westwood today.

One thing is true. All good game companies must come to an end.

This comment was edited on Jul 23, 15:10.

37. Re: So long as... Jul 23, 2004, 14:33 Darks

It doesent have to say they bought them, its only a matter of time till it happens, first the contracts to make the game then they buy you out. its happened to many others and it will happen again.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

36. No subject Jul 23, 2004, 14:31 Darks

I knew it was just a matter of time before EA got their hands in this pot. So much much for CryTech, might as well start packing your bags CryTech its only a matter of time till they move you all to one of the LA offices then tear your team apart keeping only those they think are needed and sending the rest packing. And if you think im joking just ask Westwood Studios.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

35. Re: So long as... Jul 23, 2004, 14:29 TheNarcis

It nowhere says EA BOUGHT CRYTEK!

NOWHERE!

34. Re: So long as... Jul 23, 2004, 14:26 Sepharo

Far Cry was a mature rated game, no? EA doesn't make mature rated games... But they recently made an announcement that they are going to start. EA buys CryTek.... COINCIDENCE? I THINK NOT! Let the bloody, graphic intensive, FPS, EA games roll in... YES I SAID EA AND BLOODY!

33. Re: So long as... Jul 23, 2004, 14:22 TheNarcis

Closing Origin or Westwood means nothing. They still have most of the same responsible staff and produce the same games.

CC Generals would have came out no different whether Westwood had its Texas office still open or not.

And the same thing will happen to Blizaard and other. Companies that spit out a good game every so many years will eventually get swollowed up in the fast pace industry.

There is no room for this type of stuff anymore sadly. But the whole bashing thing is just lame. Every company does shit like this.

52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo