Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DOOM 3 Benchmarks

id Software's Official DOOM3 Benchmarks on [H]ardOCP (thanks Shacknews) offers some testing of some high-end video cards running DOOM 3 conducted under the auspices of id Software. The testing pitted a couple of high-end NVIDIA cards against a couple of high-end ATI cards, and the results are similar to the preliminary tests done over a year ago (story), with NVIDIA taking framerate honors. There are also accompanying comments from id Software lead programmer John Carmack about situations where NVIDIA's optimizations fall down, where ATI's optimizations may represent texture filtering "fudging," and a warning that DOOM 3 may have problems on otherwise stable overclocked systems. He also has this to say about the overall results:

It should be noted that all of the modern cards play the game very well, and benchmark scores should not be the be-all-end-all decision maker. Scores will probably improve somewhat with future driver releases, and other factors like dual slots or dual power connectors can weigh against some of the high end cards.

View
67 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

67. Thanks ed Jul 28, 2004, 15:47 OldScho0l

You made my day ed! Your comments were extremely funny and when I read that other guys comments about the colors I was thinking, "WTF is this guy smoking?". lol

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

66. Re: five by five Jul 23, 2004, 10:56 ed

Uhhh.........................

Okay, I'm not picking any sides on this video chipset vendor argument, but that statement is just plain STUPID.

I point you to these images:
http://www.nvidia.com/docs/TEMPLATE/196/header_nvidia.jpg
http://www.ati.com/banners/images/banner_pci.jpg

OH GEE I WONDER WHY THEY CHOSE GREEN FOR NVIDIA AND RED FOR ATI

IT CAN'T POSSIBLY BE BECAUSE IT MATCHES THE COLOURS OF THEIR COMPANY LOGOS! NO SANE PERSON WOULD PICK EASILY-IDENTIFIABLE COLOURS LIKE THAT! NO!

65. Re: Next Generation : X-box 2 and Gamecube Jul 22, 2004, 21:50 peeon

And it will run like crap?

64. Next Generation : X-box 2 and Gamecube Jul 22, 2004, 20:46 Yuzzem

I think its funny how Nvidia is the choice for the DOOM 3 engine- and its even funnier that xbox 2 and Gamecube will have ATI graphics- So U know Quake 4 is going to get ported to X-box 2 - with an ATI chip inside- so will all future DOOM 3 engine games that come out:) ahahha

63. Re: lol Jul 22, 2004, 19:17 MindTrigger

Chris, we are already at $600+ for the top of the line stuff. I ordered a Gainward 6800 Ultra "Golden Sample" for $550 and it was cheaper than some of the other 9800 XT's and 6800 Ultra. When I ws trying to find a good card in stock somewhere online I saw lots of $600 cards. I even saw a couple crack smokers selling pre-order cards on ebay for $800 or something like that... no joke.

Edit: a quick search turned up 3 cards on ebay selling for $620-$650 for "Buy it Now" prices. hehe. Someone will buy them too.

This comment was edited on Jul 22, 19:22.

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

62. lol Jul 22, 2004, 18:46 Muscular Beaver

You guys gotta read all the whining on the boards. ATI fanboys claiming, id is nvidia-biased. but they also say HL2 will be much faster on ATI cards.

Too bad they miss the point that ATI cards were never the fastest in open GL games. those FPS they miss this time is about what they always lack in open GL games...

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

61. Re: five by five Jul 22, 2004, 16:10 nin

The thing is, I can't imagine their R&D expenses going up too drastically. Hell, design-wise, there wasn't THAT much difference between the 9700, 9800 Pro, and 9800 XT. Yet, there was a price-bump.

2 things:

At some point, the hardware .13 micron (I think ATI did this before nvidia).

They know people will pay it. I agree, prices are high, but which nvidia card is the hardest to get hold of right now? The Ultra, that costs the most. And the more they sell, the more the marketing gimps go "Hmmm...maybe we should have priced it higher?"

See you in Hell! http://www.doom3.com/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

60. Re: five by five Jul 22, 2004, 15:42 kanniballl

And its lame how prices are getting higher... shouldnt it be the opposite.

I sort of agree. At least, they should be staying the same: "400 for top-of-line, and drop down from there."

When I bought my Ti4600 for 400 USD, I had a hard time justifying a 400 USD component for a gaming rig. But I took solice in the fact that video cards probably wouldn't get more expensive than that. "We've reached the peak" I said to myself, foolishly thinking prices would eventually start dropping, or at least staying stagnant.

Then, I was looking around the store when the 9800XT's were the greatest, and I saw it was 500 USD. I just started shaking my head. If my ti4600 hadn't fried itself and I didn't have my extended in-store warrantee, there was no way in hell I'd buy it.

Fortunately, with the warrantee, I only had to pay an extra 100 USD to replace my broken 4600 with a 9800XT.

But I really hope this doesn't go any higher. I can't see how hardware companies can justify a 500 or 600 USD component, when you can get a workstation for that much (though it would suck at games).

The thing is, I can't imagine their R&D expenses going up too drastically. Hell, design-wise, there wasn't THAT much difference between the 9700, 9800 Pro, and 9800 XT. Yet, there was a price-bump. Just improve on the existing model a little, and shrink-wrap it.

Pentium 4, 2.4GHz w/ 533Mhz FSB
1024MB PC2700 Crucial RAM
ATI Radeon 9800XT
Windows XP Pro

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

59. Re: five by five Jul 22, 2004, 14:38 TheNarcis

Sound grooby, I'll plan on reading it. Personally if Doom3 doesn't perform on my vid card, I'm not getting Doom3. It's still a pretty powerful card for the market and if id hasn't written for it, then I won't be buying what id wrote.

Dont worry Doom 3 will run fine on your card, hell it will run fine on a GF3. They have made the engine extremely scalable... HL2 on the other hand

58. Re: No subject Jul 22, 2004, 13:23 Tango

The last thing I have to say is that first semester grades are going to probably be down the shitter becasue of doom3 and hl2
And if you have a PS2, you can add GTA:SA, Gran Turismo 4...
And it's my final year as well... :O

57. Re: five by five Jul 22, 2004, 11:50 RegularX

Sound grooby, I'll plan on reading it. Personally if Doom3 doesn't perform on my vid card, I'm not getting Doom3. It's still a pretty powerful card for the market and if id hasn't written for it, then I won't be buying what id wrote.

56. Re: more gfx Jul 22, 2004, 11:05 Sphinx

From the few screen captures I've gawked at and the in-game video I've seen the shadows are very sharp and there's little "gray" area. The shadows remind me, and I know this sounds odd, of how the X-men cartoon of the 90s was drawn. Very black black shadows and little in the way of "soft shadows."

Of course I say this now but when some monster comes lunging at me in the game the last thing I'll be worrying about it shadow definition. I'll probalby be more worried about "HOLY SHIT WHERE'S THE CHAINGUN! DIE! Crap.. reload."

http://www.sphinx-sanitarium.com

55. Re: five by five Jul 22, 2004, 10:31 nin

Though by this time, it seems a review on a relatively obscure site like mine is pointless. Everyone (where everyone = gamers) will be buying/stealing this game.

We'll read your review, Sphinx!

There is the theory of the moebius, a twist in the fabric of space where time becomes a loop time becomes a loop time becomes a loop http://www.loopz.co.uk/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

54. more gfx Jul 22, 2004, 10:17 space captain

yeh, you got it - stencil shadows can be intense depending on how complex you want the occlusion algorithims to be

if you guys havent seen DOOM 3 in action yet, its probably going to blow you away... its hard to come to grips with the image quality at first glance, especially when you see the shadows... its not quite 'real' looking, but more like 'surreal' - definately a cut above anything that has ever been done in a real-time game

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

53. Re: five by five Jul 22, 2004, 10:07 Sphinx

I love my 9700 Pro as well - it's been real good to me. I'll wait till someone writes some benchmarks that doesn't have so much stink on it.

This is the card I'll be using to play (and review) the game. Though by this time, it seems a review on a relatively obscure site like mine is pointless. Everyone (where everyone = gamers) will be buying/stealing this game. If these numbers are accurate for the 9800 series of cards (56+ with no AA or AF) then I'll probably feel comfortable locking the AA and AF at 2x in the control panel for my 9700Pro.

But, if you're waiting for "less stinky" numbers I guess wait for me to write a review. Even though my site will deal less with tech stuff and just get to how the game plays.

52. Re: gfx Jul 22, 2004, 10:05 Isus_in_Black.

Shit 1.5 Ghz.......I got a 1.2 Tbird Athlon
I guess its overclocking time :))

It just pisses me off that I have to buy a new motherboard AND ram everytime I want to upgrade my processor. Something should be done about that....

51. Re: gfx Jul 22, 2004, 09:54 Sphinx

Stencil shadows are a method by which a 'mask' is created for the screen using a feature called the stencil buffer. This mask can be used to exclude areas of the screen from subsequent renders, and thus it can be used to either include or exclude areas in shadow.

Informative. Thank you. So, for example, if an imp is running at me and my trusty shotgun and there's a light source to the left, this buffer will determine if the imp's shadow shows up or doesn't on certain surfaces or objects in my line of sight. Correct?

50. Re: five by five Jul 22, 2004, 09:53 RegularX

Totally agreed.

Radeon X800XT-PE may not be worthy of being included on the same graph as we see average performance fall close to the 30 frames per second mark. Certainly this is not something you would want to experience on your $500 video card

OK - this has to be one of the most biased sentences I've ever read in a "benchmark" article. Not worthy? It was only 4 FPS slower than the next nVidia card. What the hell? I kept expecting a graph to be followed by "The ATI card was clearly hindered by having to go get it's skirt."

I love my 9700 Pro as well - it's been real good to me. I'll wait till someone writes some benchmarks that doesn't have so much stink on it.

49. gfx Jul 22, 2004, 09:51 space captain

Stencil shadows are a method by which a 'mask' is created for the screen using a feature called the stencil buffer. This mask can be used to exclude areas of the screen from subsequent renders, and thus it can be used to either include or exclude areas in shadow.

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

48. Re: five by five Jul 22, 2004, 09:44 Mr Gar

Doubt I will buy nvidia product ever again after that GF3 fiasco.

What GF3 fiasco? My GF3Ti200 was an excellent card. Better than the whole GF4mx range, I definitely got my money's worth with that one.

67 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo