Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Far Cry Patch

The version 1.2 patch for Far Cry is now available, offering the eagerly anticipated update to Crytek's first-person shooter. The change list (here's a link to a copy on 3D Gamers) describes numerous tweaks and fixes, including changes to running, sprinting, vehicle damage as well as the addition of the long-awaited quicksave function. The 65 MB patch can be found on 3D Downloads, 3D Gamers, ActionTrip, Boomtown (registration required), FileFront, FileShack (registration required), Pixelrage.ro, and Worthplaying.

View
74 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

74. Re: the deal Jul 23, 2004, 10:25  famished 

Knowing full well there wasn't going to be quicksaves with a very early announcement that there would be in a patch "soon after the release". Soon meant 3 months later of course.

Only reason they didnt put it in it seems they didn't have enough time to clear out all bugs relating to it.

By the way, you need to update literally everything to get the new FC patch to work. Uninstall the whole game and patch it fresh without any old save games.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

73. Re: the deal Jul 23, 2004, 08:33 Krovven

...they don't have the responsibilities so they don't care or understand...we need a quick-save feature so we can exit out quickly when...

Yeah you know us so well, keep that general speculation coming. What truly is the big deal with having to play a 5 or 10min section of the game again should you have to exit out quickly on the odd occasion?

My point is not that Quick Save should or shouldnt exist. It's that whiney fucks like you are screaming bloody murder because they chose not to have a Quick Save feature at all. You'd think someone killed your kid because they dont have Quick Save.
The console quick save, was a dev tool, was never meant as a substitution so I'm not even going to use that as an arguement like some other folks have.

You did say Far Cry was a shitty product
It doesn't make any fucking sense and is only a proof of a shitty product
That is exactly what you said. You arent playing Far Cry and think its a shitty product because it doesnt have a Quick Save. Pretty fucking thin reason for not playing a game.

I am not a fanboy of Far Cry...when I first posted in this thread I hadn't loaded Far Cry since I first finished it. I tried Multiplayer once and it sucked and never went back. I loaded the game briefly tonight to try the 1.2 patch, but unfortunately they created more bugs than they fixed. However indoor areas run 10x better than they used to with settings on Highest.

I've said it once, and I'll say it again. There were several demos for Far Cry, the quick save topic was beat to death before the full game even came out. You bought the game knowing full well there was no Quick Saves. If you didnt play the demos, well you are just a dumbass consumer.

BTW, they are only putting Quick Save in because enough people complained about it. Same reason they increased the run speed which ended up fucking up the balance on the game, causing you to take falling damage on short drops like stairs. Devs listening to whiners just ruins the game 90% of the time.

72. Re: the deal Jul 23, 2004, 04:09  famished 

My thoughts exactly.

71. Re: the deal Jul 22, 2004, 16:09 Furious

Don't worry about it quazz, everyone here who has any ounce of real world responsibilty understands what you are saying, don't argue with the children, you will never change their viewpoint as they just can't grasp what you are saying, they don't have the responsibilities so they don't care or understand.

I, and many others, don't need a quick-save feature so we can get through a game easy, we need a quick-save feature so we can exit out quickly when jr. starts crying, the wife starts yelling, the dog has to crap or someone is messing with your house. Real life requires attention, these young kids don't get it because they have no concept of it.

70. Re: the deal Jul 22, 2004, 14:44 quazz

That's mostly true. I almost stopped posting on message board for months and I will again in a month or so...

Anyway, the problem is that Crytek said they would develop a quicksave system for a long time. So you can't use the "feature was not in the game" argument. I didn't get the game before I was told the feature was coming 'soon'. I figured out the patch would've been out much faster (and actually working, haven't installed the patch yet though) and I'm playing the game a lot less.

69. Re: the deal Jul 22, 2004, 09:35  famished 

"If people had real lives, there'd be no reason for forums, messages boards, or chat.
"

Are you telling us something about yourself then?

68. the deal Jul 22, 2004, 09:21 ^mortis^

Here's the fact:

If GAME A has X and Y features, some moron is going to complain until he's blue in the face that it doesn't have Z, so it's a "Bad Game". period. It's the nature of being fat and happy.

If people had real lives, there'd be no reason for forums, messages boards, or chat.

^m^

67. Re: DVD & Quick-save Jul 22, 2004, 09:09 dr foxy

let's be clear cut on something here... as far as giving the user choice, implementing a solid checkpoint system does that too. if the game has one, I won't touch quicksave or quickload ever. i'll enjoy the game more that way. it's more immersive, more atmospheric and sometimes scarier.

game developers don't have to implement quick save, or checkpoints, and we don't have to buy the game if it doesn't have a feature we demand. incidentally i did.

complaining that the game had quicksave and that makes it too easy is like complaining a game has an easy mode.

if you can't control yourself pressing the quicksave key, how can you manage to pick a hard difficulty level?

we shouldn't insult each other over this anyway. if a game has checkpoints, i don't care if it has quicksave or not, and if people want to use it.

66. Re: DVD & Quick-save Jul 22, 2004, 09:01 nin

agree, espcially when Quick Save WAS ALWAYS THERE. You just had to open the sytem menu with the tilde (`) key and scroll through with the TAB key of all the system commands. I think its under there as \quick_save. Just people are too lazy to figure that out. It does work, I tried it. But shhh dont tellthe noobs.

We've been over this before: It didn't always work correctly. Sometimes it fucked the compass, sometimes it broke scripts. It was not reliable.

There is the theory of the moebius, a twist in the fabric of space where time becomes a loop time becomes a loop time becomes a loop http://www.loopz.co.uk/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

65. Re: Save Games Jul 22, 2004, 08:47 Fingers M

I wished they would have said old saved games wouldnt work, I reverted back to 1.1  

64. Re: Quick-save Jul 22, 2004, 07:28 Tehol

i dont care how many peple said "qiuck save" is for wuss.i still want them in games and yes as it is been said hundred times if you dont want to use them dont use them.

and those people throwing all the insults to others becasue you enjoyed the game with out quick save i have to say not cool,this conduct is NOT COOL.

as for far cry i liked the game.some times i did not want to complete the objectives of the game,i just wanted to run around the island,jump into the water, shoot at some birds and what not.it seems to me if the game had quick save options, doing those things make lot easier.

what happened to sdk that was promised?do they (ubi soft or cry tech) have any plan to keep the community alive or what?

63. Re: Quick-save Jul 22, 2004, 04:03  famished 

Seems to be a pretty clear reason why it wasn't included originally. Referring to the ~100 bugs fixed in relation to it.

62. Re: Quick-save Jul 22, 2004, 03:56  famished 

"It doesn't make any sense to play a game with quick-save. People have already explained why it is stupid. But if you need a refresh course on it, then I'll do my best to explain it to you"

When you are employed or have distractions there is.

61. Re: Save Games Jul 22, 2004, 03:44 quazz

Again, all I'm saying is that the best design is the one that gives the player a choice. And inclusion of a quicksave feature is essential for that choice. I want one because I hate replaying the same level more then once or twice and since I have very little gaming time, I'd rather not spend it 'stuck' in a level.

As for your last reply (#60), while it's probably not intended at me;
and B I bet game developers work longer and more hours than you do!
I kinda doubt that. And it's not relevant.
I like the fact there was no one button push quick save, I said my reasons, and of course since you are an internet god, I cant have my reasons without being accused of arshipping something I didnt even know about until 4 days ago /rolleyes!
If you like the game without quicksave, fine. I couldn't care less really. Just don't use the feature.

60. Re: Save Games Jul 22, 2004, 03:01 TheNarcis

I love how something as simple as "self saving" constitutes "lazy developers" when A this was their first project (Ubi was the publisher lets not get them mixed up)...

and B I bet game developers work longer and more hours than you do!

Ah well, I guess I am a "fanboy" seeing how I only owned the game for 4 days and only bought it to give me a fix before Doom 3 comes out.

I like the fact there was no one button push quick save, I said my reasons, and of course since you are an internet god, I cant have my reasons without being accused of arshipping something I didnt even know about until 4 days ago /rolleyes!

59. Re: Save Games Jul 22, 2004, 02:48 nully null

Having no save anywhere is like going to a bar without a bathroom. Yea and page numbers in book are for whimps.

It's a cheap trick used by lazy developers.

Fanboy says "But it makes it more challenging."

Someone with basic comprehension understands that better AI, non-scripted gameplay, more content, provides superior a challenge, not to mention replay value.

And, before you attempt to contemplate the benefits, NONE can overcome the other "feature" of lazy (or perhaps weak willed) developers; BUGS!!!!.

In the mean time fanboys can stuff their pedantic save games are only girly men flappings until the subject game and it's platform are both bug free.

58. Re: DVD & Quick-save Jul 22, 2004, 02:43 TheNarcis

It's their choice, not yours.
True, but why are they implementing such a system then?

Because they listen to the vocal minority, they are always the loudest. The ones that need everything handed to them.

I loved the fact there was no "quick save" reminded me of the nostalgic gaming... and kept me on my toes.

And they had it hidden for the fact of those people that REALLY want it will find it. And those who are content wiht the game set up the way it is with its rocking gameplay (no guick save being apart of it) will have a great time.

57. Re: DVD & Quick-save Jul 22, 2004, 02:40 TheNarcis

Well said Dagok!

56. Re: DVD & Quick-save Jul 22, 2004, 02:39 quazz

And you dont have to have Quick Saves to play the game. If your reasoning for calling Far Cry a "shitty product" is this then you have a few screws loose.
I never said that FarCry was shitty product (alright, so I should've used "a hint" instead of "a proof"), but a system were a feature is "hidden" from the user is bad design.

There was a time when there were NO save options at all in video games, people got on just fine, and some people would still consider those games far superior in terms of gameplay than some games today. The objective back then was not to just "complete the game" it was to complete the game without dying...with no option of saving.
Woop-dee-freakin'-doo! I've got an idea, everytime you die in game XYZ, you start a new game. Problem solved. I'm so fucking great. Did you have a point?

It's their choice, not yours.
True, but why are they implementing such a system then?

There was a demo or 3 of Far Cry, you knew very well going in there wasn't going to be a standard Quick Save function
They've kinda been talking for weeks (if it's not months already) about implementing it... Are you even trying?

And sure I'll 'critisize' things that aren't my way. Some people call them opinion. I also proposed a system that would take the best of both world earlier in the thread.

55. Re: DVD & Quick-save Jul 22, 2004, 01:53 Krovven

You don't have to use it and I'm going to play my game as I like them

And you dont have to have Quick Saves to play the game. If your reasoning for calling Far Cry a "shitty product" is this then you have a few screws loose.

There was a time when there were NO save options at all in video games, people got on just fine, and some people would still consider those games far superior in terms of gameplay than some games today. The objective back then was not to just "complete the game" it was to complete the game without dying...with no option of saving.

I should also point out that while you can "play your game as you like them"...the developer is going to make them the way they like them. It's their choice, not yours. There was a demo or 3 of Far Cry, you knew very well going in there wasn't going to be a standard Quick Save function. SO EVERYONE STOP WHINING ABOUT IT ALREADY!

Hundreds of thousands of other people managed to finish the game (and enjoyed it) without Quick Save....are you really that incompetant that you can't?

74 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo